Lukaku: Aguero successor

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
The two best players in Milan, Lukaku and Zlatan, are both ex United. What do you expect?

Gone are the days Serie A produces the finest talent. 90s Gazetta era.
Just curious - why do you think Lukaku has been Inter’s best player this season?

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Cause he's getting all the goalssssss
I disagree. Unless you also think he was Man U's best player in his first season and also the 2nd best player in the 2nd season (potentially best if he was the penalty taker).

TheReligion

Abusive
I disagree. Unless you also think he was Man U's best player in his first season and also the 2nd best player in the 2nd season (potentially best if he was the penalty taker).
I'm not sure what his performances for Inter have to do with his ratings at United several years ago.

Have I missed something? Or do you just think that I think every clubs top scorer is their best player? (I don't)

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I'm not sure what his performances for Inter have to do with his ratings at United several years ago.

Have I missed something? Or do you just think that I think every clubs top scorer is their best player? (I don't)
Cause he's getting all the goalssssss
Well your reply insinuated that, given you specified the goals. He really has only 1 non-penalty goal more than Lautaro. Although I give credit to Lukaku for currently being one of the best penalty takers in the world as it’s not as easy as people might think.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well your reply insinuated that, given you specified the goals. He really has only 1 non-penalty goal more than Lautaro. Although I give credit to Lukaku for currently being one of the best penalty takers in the world as it’s not as easy as people might think.
He missed a few penalties for United but the goalposts are slightly smaller in the PL with it being a more tougher/professional league. This can make alot of difference.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not as “tetchy” as Man City ones I see! Or at least not prone to making stuff up :)
Ah I see, so you don't have big Rom, Sanchez, Young, Darmian regularly featuring... And I'm making it up.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Ah I see, so you don't have big Rom, Sanchez, Young, Darmian regularly featuring... And I'm making it up.
Well you said the entire team and I posted the starting 11... care to educate me on Bastoni and Barella’s Man Utd history?

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
He missed a few penalties for United but the goalposts are slightly smaller in the PL with it being a more tougher/professional league. This can make alot of difference.
Can’t be that tough given Liverpool destroyed everyone while playing at 30% last season!

Unless that Liverpool team was the greatest EPL team of all time :) - which could be possible to be fair... which I think is what you are implying tbf

TheReligion

Abusive
Can’t be that tough given Liverpool destroyed everyone while playing at 30% last season!

Unless that Liverpool team was the greatest EPL team of all time :) - which could be possible to be fair... which I think is what you are implying tbf
Liverpool only won the league due to the pandemic. Everyone knows that. This season has revealed its true standing.

Best PL side of all time is going to be United 08. You have to be able to retain league titles and unfortunately Liverpool have been the worst defending champions we've ever had in the PL era.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Liverpool only won the league due to the pandemic. Everyone knows that. This season has revealed its true standing.

Best PL side of all time is going to be United 08. You have to be able to retain league titles and unfortunately Liverpool have been the worst defending champions we've ever had in the PL era.
Liverpool had a huge lead before the pandemic. Don't be a sore loser.

It's like saying "Manchester United only won because the refs helped them as they were influenced by Fergie. One ref even admitted it recently. The following and even previous seasons revealed its true standing. Since Fergie left, Manchester United won the league 0 times - therefore those are true standings that are revealed'

Also, there is no rule that you have to retain the league to be the best side of all time. I'm talking about the best side in a single season. It has to be either Manchester City or Liverpool given PL is the greatest league and those two teams had the highest point totals of all time.

TheReligion

Abusive

It's like saying "Manchester United only won because the refs helped them as they were influenced by Fergie. One ref even admitted it recently. The following and even previous seasons revealed its true standing. Since Fergie left, Manchester United won the league 0 times - therefore those are true standings that are revealed'

Also, there is no rule that you have to retain the league to be the best side of all time. I'm talking about the best side in a single season. It has to be either Manchester City or Liverpool given PL is the greatest league and those two teams had the highest point totals of all time.
You asked my who I thought was the best PL side of all time and I answered? There is no rule but in my opinion the best sides win repeatedly, not just a one off. That United side won the league back to back and played in 3 CL finals (winning one). For me it was the best and had a bit of everything.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s always scored goals but he’s also always looked clumsy and disjointed his teams attacks. His playing style certainly isn’t graceful or easy on the eye.

At Everton many of our fans said he was technically good enough to play for Utd. Many Everton fans said he wasn’t technically good enough for United.

He came, he scored at a decent rate. He frustrated as much or more than he delighted. Became somewhat of a figure of ridicule amongst his own fan base for his shocking first touch and ability to ruin the cohesion of the side.

He lost his place in the team, and you’d be hard pushed to find any United fans who were sorry about that. He left, again you’d be hard pushed to find any United fans who felt sorry about that. Most were relieved that we managed to get our money back.

He went to an objectively weaker league, more forgiving of his flaws, and he’s done pretty well. If he comes back to the PL, the same cycle will repeat itself. He’s found a home at the right level for his ability. More power to him and good for the Inter fans. Any top side in either England or Spain looking to sign him based off those performances is going to be sorely disappointed.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would you say they are even on Uniteds level? I mean their entire squad are PL cast offs and could no longer cut it at United for various reasons but I wouldn't say United fans were sad to see the back of many of them.
Their entire squad has more quality than united's position for position actually. They don't have anyone as good as Bruno though

And yeah, definitely on that level, imo better, for that matter

Posh Red

It’s a lot easier to get a huge points tally in the league when you essentially throw half of the cup competitions. The best sides are able to balance winning the league with competing on multiple fronts.

EDIT: mainly referring to your inclusion of Liverpool here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Their entire squad has more quality than united's position for position actually. They don't have anyone as good as Bruno though

Do you think they would have beaten us in the Europa last season? I reckon we would have put them to the sword.

cyberman

I cant get over how poor Italian football is at the minute. I was a Lukaku fan when he was here but I dont think his form proves anything. He is too good for that league. That Inter side isnt as good as Leicester imo

hubbuh

Absolute rubbish.

LoneStar

Please let this happen. And for big money (not that it would matter for City). Imagine KDB, Bernardo Silva and Sterling playing 1-2s with Lukaku, would be glorious to watch.

He's a good striker, no doubt. But such a mismatch to their team. Interesting question though, if he were with us this season, would he have scored a lot? I think so, although him working with Conte helped develop him a lot.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The idea that upgrading from Jesus to Lukaku would make City worse is something I find quite funny. Don't get me wrong I don't miss the bloke but since Inter found that dietary problem he's remembered how to be a top striker again whereas Jesus couldn't finish in Scarlet Johansson.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you think they would have beaten us in the Europa last season? I reckon we would have put them to the sword.
Possibly. Last season you were better than them. This season, eh, not so much. Single game though, you have bruno fernandes, i reckon your best would be better than theirs...

T_Model101

I remember reading somewhere that Man City were looking to take advantage of clubs with finances severely effected by Covid . The Lukaku thing doesn't make sense to me unless they feel they can get him at a bargain price.
And with Inter struggling to pay his transfer fee to us, wouldn't them receiving a lump sum for Lukaku actually end up benefiting us?

Boavista

I don't see how it's so far fetched to say Inter are at a similar level, if not higher, than United currently. They're a well coached side with some great players like Barella, Lautaro and Hakimi. Obviously Lukaku too. Having a few ex-United players isn't really an argument to the contrary.
For what it's worth I thought Milan also looked the better side. Both teams with players missing though, so not very representative.

crossy1686

career ending
This won't happen for a couple of reasons.

Lukaku was itching to get to Italy for years, and he's Riaola's man. City don't touch his players.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Imho no, last season Inter were weaker than Manchester United.. But Nerazzurri have improved a lot since then and since the first part of this season. For example:

- Milan Skriniar. Finally has learned to play 3atb. Last year he was poor in Conte's system (same as Godin) and was heavily linked to Tottenham. Now Skriniar is one of their key players.
- D'Ambrosio. Decent player but replaced by Achraf Hakimi who's a world class RWB.
- Ashley Young. He's finished and Inter won't renew his contract. Now their main LWB is Ivan Perisic and the croatian is a much better player than Young.
- Eriksen. Finally he does fit Conte's system after a whole year in the bench. To me he's average but still better and much less donkey than those who used to play before him (Vidal, Gagliardini)
- Lautaro Martinez. More consistent. Bastoni and Barella keep improving day by day..

Current Inter is stronger than June/October version. Just compare their line-up in the UEL final and the current one: Skriniar >> Godin, Hakimi >>> D'Ambrosio, Perisic >> Young, Eriksen >> Gagliardini..

padr81

Supports
Man City

Fair enough I haven't seen too much of them and I was mostly taking the piss with Inter fan after my initial post. They seem to be lacking squad wise to me on paper at least with the likes of Kolarov, Young, Darmian, Sanchez etc.. I haven't seen enough of their first XI in action which is why I asked. I rate Conte as a manager more than most though.

Looking at the respective benches... Inter often sub on Darmian, Sanchez and Young players who'd get nowhere near the current United squad which is mainly why I asked.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The idea that upgrading from Jesus to Lukaku would make City worse is something I find quite funny. Don't get me wrong I don't miss the bloke but since Inter found that dietary problem he's remembered how to be a top striker again whereas Jesus couldn't finish in Scarlet Johansson.
The same Jesus who has a goal every 136 minutes played and is currently rocking a better goals per minute ratio than Alan Shearer, Robin Van Persie, Didier Drogba, Luis Suarez and Romelu Lukaku?

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The same Jesus who has a goal every 136 minutes played and is currently rocking a better PL goals per minute ratio than Alan Shearer, Robin Van Persie, Didier Drogba, Luis Suarez and Romelu Lukaku?
:lol:
He has 8 in 22 this season...a goal every 196 mins in the league..

padr81

Supports
Man City
:lol:
He has 8 in 22 this season...a goal every 196 mins in the league..
Ah you might wanna check the number of minutes he's played, and this isn't his first season...

He's played 11,076 minutes for Man City and scored 81 goals... actually thats all comps.
In the PL he's played 6934 minutes and scored 49 goals so one every 141 minutes in the PL... so yeah still better than all those mentioned above bar RVP.

Nice try though.

Also RVP played 7980 minutes at United and banged 58 goals, so in all comps Jesus has the (marginally) better strike rate. 136 minutes vs 137.

Only Kun (whose record crushes everyone including the following), RVN, Salah, Kane and Henry have a clearly better scoring rate than Jesus.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ah you might wanna check the number of minutes he's played, and this isn't his first season...

He's played 11,076 minutes for Man City and scored 81 goals... actually thats all comps.
In the PL he's played 6934 minutes and scored 49 goals so one every 141 minutes in the PL... so yeah still better than all those mentioned above bar RVP.

Nice try though.

Also RVP played 7980 minutes at United and banged 58 goals, so in all comps Jesus has the (marginally) better strike rate. 136 minutes vs 137.

Only Kun (whose record crushes everyone including the following), RVN, Salah, Kane and Henry have a clearly better scoring rate than Jesus.
:lol: :lol:

You're right, this isn't his first season, but he's got 8 in 22 THIS season,

Are you seriously trying to rank Jesus amongst the top premiership strikers? If so you are seriously deluded ( he has a lower goals per game ratio than Lukaku in the league for example).

Have you ever questioned why he's never been first choice even when Aguero is injured?

Come back when Jesus has scored 100 premiership goals....you'll be waiting a while!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be an upgrade from Jesus and an
downgrade from Aguero.

Nicolarra90

He scored this season more than all 4 our strikers together. Strikers who have flawless technique and first touch. But but but his first touch and shit like that.
Yeah, imagine if he played for us. All the thousand of goals he would have scored.

TheReligion

Abusive
The same Jesus who has a goal every 136 minutes played and is currently rocking a better goals per minute ratio than Alan Shearer, Robin Van Persie, Didier Drogba, Luis Suarez and Romelu Lukaku?
You don't believe Jesus is at the level of those players surely? He's a good squad option but I think it's clear you'll want to replace Aguero despite what Pep says. If Jesus was that good why not use him and promote Delap or something.

DoomSlayer

I can't agree with that, in my opinion a lot of our players would look better in the Seria A. Inter are playing better as a team more consistently than us, but I don't think there is a quality gap. But it could be just my bias talking. :lol:

Tallis

Which entire squad? I mean, Inter’s starting 11 are: Handanovic - Skriniar De Vrij Bastoni - Hakimi Barrella Brozovic Eriksen/Vidal Perisic - Lukaku Lautaro.

That’s 1/11 players from United - but if that’s considered the entire squad...

After all, United’s best player is a guy who couldn’t cut it in a mid table Serie A side :) Someone who has scored more goals in this EPL season than he managed in around 120 Serie A matches. But you could argue it’s because Serie A was better tactically hence he struggled while EPL’s lack of tactics and kick and rush football suits him better.
Hate to admit it but it took me a minute to realize who that 1/11 player is:lol:

That’s a pretty strong inter team. They made some clever signings in Hakimi, Barella and to some extent Lukaku.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How much of the transfer fee do Inter still owe us ?
Maybe City could just slip the cheque towards us.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I can't agree with that, in my opinion a lot of our players would look better in the Seria A. Inter are playing better as a team more consistently than us, but I don't think there is a quality gap. But it could be just my bias talking. :lol:
Overall there isn't, in fact united have the edge there. If you go position by position for the starting XI though you'd pick inter players more often than not i think

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yep that one. He's shite. And I think your stats are probably wrong, not that it matters if you've watched Jesus.