Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

United Hobbit

I'll admit I was really excited when we signed Sanchez especially with his goosebumps inducing piano video.

Shame the video is the most exciting thing about him so far.

I'm on the fence a little but think if we can find upgrades it's time to move both on.

Maybe it's time we review player recruitment, spending £££'s on a marquee signing doesn't always guarantee success, I hate to use them as an example but look at what a steal Andy Robertson has been for Liverpool, yes they have the big money signing of VVD so you do sometimes have to splurge but look what hes brought in. I know Sanchez was technically free but is still a big name signing. What about Fred? Even Ole who is keen to use everyone hasn't played him what does that tell you.

Is this adding more support to the director of football argument? Is a review of the scouting network needed?

With the injuries to Martial and Lingaard can Sanchez and Lukaku be trusted to step up? Or do we turn to the kids eg Greenwood and co? Unfortunately they are huge games to be throwing them into, maybe hindsight is a wonderful thing but would have been nice to see them included as a couple of subs for the Fulham game as that was a perfect opportunity to bring them on and see how ready they are. Unfortunately at this point are freshly promoted kids better than the 2 "big name" signings?

tomaldinho1

Honestly think Mata might actually be more mobile than Sanchez at this point.
How the mighty have fallen, there's a decent amount of deadwood that needs clearing out and the £350k a week man is top of the list

Gungne

The moment when Sanchez came on it was game over. Sell Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If there was ever a game that showed just how irrelevant Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata have all become. Lukaku you can kinda understand keeping as a squad player, even though it's a 75m squad player, but Sanchez and Mata barely ever make any sort of impact. They just need to go as the wages they take up is ridiculous. Lukaku ideally as well, but unfortunately it'll be hard to shift him as well. Get rid of all 3. Replace with a quality player who can start ahead of one of the current front 3 (and have them battle it out for the starting), give Greenwood more chances, and bring in depth who can actually come in and provide some similar qualities if not being as good as the starters. PSG lose pace in tricery out wide in Neymar, they bring in Angel Di Maria. Still has the pace and trickery. We lost Martial and have fecking Alexis Sanchez who is so far past it it's ridiculous.

Red1968

Really shocked about how poor Sanchez has been for us. Compare what he has done here to his time at Arsenal, its a joke. He has been mostly invisible. Whats really sad is to see how well he played for the Chilean national team. He was dominant in recent Copa Americas. We need to sell him while he is still worth something because his stock has plummeted!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't understand how nothing comes off for Sanchez. It looks like works as hard as he can and doesn't give up. But nothing seems to amount to anything as end product.

el3mel

Nani was deemed 'not good enough for us'
Even the shit version of Memphis was 2 divisions better than Sanchez.
Remembering the criticism Nani was getting alone makes me mad. I guess if people who kept slaughtering him and saying he's inconsistent and such knew in the future we are going to have Sanchez, Mata and Lingard running the show on the flanks for us, they would have given Nani a life time contract!

Canagel

What a nothing player Sanchez has become. Its better to accept it to save yourself the disappointment later.

Giggs86

Nani was deemed 'not good enough for us'
Even the shit version of Memphis was 2 divisions better than Sanchez.
Just goes to show how far we have fallen. Nani would have been the 3rd name on the team sheet nowadays only behind DDG and Pogba.

Fracture90

Sell them both and release Mata, start playing youth and no this is not reactionary post but honestly Sanchez and Mata are far downhill and the minutes meant for them should go to Chongy, Gomez and Greenwood.

M Utd

It's a really tough vote as it's linked to so many if's and but's.
But here is my opinion.
Sanchez. I'm afraid to say he's never fitted here which has really shocked me. I thought he was a great player and I always cursed us for not going for him rather than Di Maria. I put his poor form in his last 6 months at arsenal down wanting out and not getting game time but perhaps it's time to admit he's not the player he once was.
Ideally I'd sell and get a fee. Perhaps there's someone out there who think that could re-capture his form. Perhaps a mid table prem team who cash in this summer as a assets wants to move on (Richarilison currently at Everton for example) so they have a little money to burn. Wages may be a stumbling block but if Ole gets the job I think Sanchez will know he's not first choice and that may make him consider a move. If we get a different manager I can see him being still here.
Lukaku, personally I've never been convinced by him but he does score goals. Not loads but enough to make a useful player. Probably much easier to move on as he has time on his side and I could imagine there would be plenty of takers.
So now to the debate.
If two go out would two come in?
Does this limit funds for other targets?
Do all the funds gained go on new transfers?
Do we have youngsters, we believe are ready, to fill these gaps.

The reality is we need strength in depth and I'd there fore suggest both leaving as unlikely. Sanchez probably offers less currently and with his age and wage as two factors probably my choice to move first. Long term I'd be surprised if both were still here in two years.

Judas

Open to offers
I don’t believe in curses but watching Sanchez makes me question that. He’s clearly trying I think, but everything he does looks laboured and nothing he tries come off, not even simple passing. He seems to still be on a different planet to the rest of the team when it comes to movement as well, his flicks barely ever seem to work. It’s sad to watch and at this point I’ve no idea how he can be fixed.

OT1214

Sanchez’s drop in form has been shocking. Guess one thing we could try is to give him a free role behind striker, although I dont think he would have much of an impact in any system that we will employ. Look to offload if there are any takers.

Lukaku could be worth keeping if he goes back to being a “flat track bully”. Should rotate with Rashford in easier games. I dont think we should spend money on a striker next summer as we have pressing concerns on other areas of the pitch, unless we have a big enough “warchest”.

mark_a

I don't dislike Sanchez and I've wanted it to work out, but I've never been clear what the question was that he was the answer to. It seems to add up to be an expensive player, we didn't need, now adding nothing. Sell. It comes down to the money being better spent elsewhere, on someone better. Same with Lukaku as well I'm afraid. The options are hang onto him if we're aiming at fighting for 4th and not progressing in the CL each season, sell and replace if we have more ambition.

Adebesi

Sanchez was the most disappointing element of last night for me. On such a great stage, with his rival for his preferred position going off it was an opportunity for him to stand up and be counted on the biggest stage, probably the most important game of the season to date. And it was evidently completely beyond him. I didnt watch him at Arsenal that regularly but I remember in the latter weeks of his time there he used to run around with a look of frustration on his face and I always had the sense it was frustration that the team around him was not on his level. Last night he had a different look on his face, it still seemed frustrated but it seemed more like bemusement at his own inability to do the things that always used to comer naturally to him.

I dont like knee jerking after a game but I changed my vote today. I was sell Lukaku and keep Sanchez because I hoped - and I said before it was hope more than expectation - but I hoped he would eventually come good. I wanted to believe it was just taking him a bit of extra time to settle for one reason or another, but that his former self was still in there. Last night didnt prove to me beyond any reasonable doubt that this is actually impossible. But it was enough to convince me that I am kidding myself to believe in it. I dont know how we go about getting him out the club, but we should probably do it, even if it leaves us out of pocket, because keeping him around is throwing good money after bad. The mistake has already been made, the money has already been wasted, whatever we can recoup from China is better than nothing and we might as well do it.

He still has some time to turn it around. If Martial is out for a few weeks we probably have to play Sanchez on the left, if he rises to the occasion great, but something has switched inside me and I doubt it will happen. Is a pre season going to change anything? I just dont see it.

in which case we should probably keep Lukaku for squad depth as much as anything. There is only so much business we are going to do in one summer and replacing Lukaku AND Sanchez is probably a bridge too far, given the other acquisitions we need to make.

TL/DR: Last night provided the perfect opportunity for Sanchez to show his worth to this squad. He failed to take it and I have lost patience with him.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Sanchez looks finished. Our problem is finding a taker. If he is on £350k we might have to buy out £150k of his contract per week and give him away for free. Frankly to free up £200k a week from him it would probably be worth it.

Lukaku is a hard one, depends on takers, but we would need at least £70m, because otherwise he is actually an option who can score and replacements won't be cheap.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not for those wages and outlay, he's not.

He has no fight in him, either, so being a second fiddle is not going to be agreeable to him and his style of play just does not fit in with us in terms of him having enough games to keep him placated.

He's better out wide than through the middle in this team, and only then, under special circumstance where he doesn't have to track back.

It's a terrible situation all round and I think he'll want out by May because he has no chance of usurping Rashford and he can't do the graft required to break into the team permanently in another position.

We're going to take a big loss on him, but getting the wages off the books, or, moreover, redistributiing them to players who fit the way Ole plays, is paramount, imo.
I'm done with both of them. We're better off having backups who arent on astronomical wages and expect to be first teamers. We would also benefit from having second choice players who A) have room for development B) have a certain level do technical class C) can instill some dynamism and put defenders on the back foot, and most importantly D) fit into our footballing ideology.

amolbhatia50k

I don't understand how nothing comes off for Sanchez. It looks like works as hard as he can and doesn't give up. But nothing seems to amount to anything as end product.
He's like Rooney when he was over the hill but without the end product and passing it out to Valencia (TM)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Sanchez is done, I am hopeful China will be interested in the summer otherwise he'll be spending next season on the bench earning stupid money.

I'd keep Lukaku another season as we are going to make a signficant loss on him and a substitute striker will be worth more to us than the fee we'll get.

Adebesi

Would Sanchez be open to China?
There has to come a point when a player realises he is finished at this level. And then it becomes a question of, what is better for your ego, sitting around Manchester collecting your wages and doing nothing because you arent getting picked? Or going to China where you can relive the glory days of being better than everyone else around you?

I imagine he will go as soon as he realises this, if he hasnt already. It should be relatively easy for him. Its not like England is his home, if he isnt in Chile he might just as well be in China as anywhere else.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
@Adebesi he isn't a starter as it is so perhaps he will want to get moving after the season. Hopefully.

9 Stone Elvis

Lukaku still has something to offer and is a good player based on his career so far. Sanchez has done absolutely nothing in a United shirt of note. Id hope that both would come good but in all honesty I don't see it with Sanchez and I don't really see Lukaku fitting into a formation under Ole if he stays. On that basis you would tend to be forced to get rid. Feel a bit sorry for Lukaku in all honesty but there is no point in keeping players, even as squad players if you actually don't want to play them.

Adebesi

@Adebesi he isn't a starter as it is so perhaps he will want to get moving after the season. Hopefully.
Yeah. I dont know if he has still been in the mindset that he was playing himself back into form, playing himself back into the team. I have to believe a player of his quality and reputation backed himself to force his way back into the team. But at some point it will dawn on him that it isnt going to happen. As you say, he might have figured it out already. I was still holding onto hope that he would come good and either force his way into the side, in a central role or on the right, or if he was really sublime on the left perhaps job sharing with Martial in the way Rashford was some time ago. Either way, I imagine by the summer he'll be under no illusions about his prospects at this club.

amolbhatia50k

Would Sanchez be open to China?
He really should be open to any kind of move. He's performing laughably badly and should move for his own pride's sake.

But then again, $$

Moonwalker

As Bacon famously noticed, If China will not come for Alexis, then Alexis must go to China.

Ranchero

There is an option that is not there and that is keep both for another year. Which I wouldn't go for!!!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Sanchez wont cut it here, he needs to move on. So does Mata. Lukaku I'm not sure, could work out from the bench with the right setup

ash_86

I don’t believe in curses but watching Sanchez makes me question that. He’s clearly trying I think, but everything he does looks laboured and nothing he tries come off, not even simple passing. He seems to still be on a different planet to the rest of the team when it comes to movement as well, his flicks barely ever seem to work. It’s sad to watch and at this point I’ve no idea how he can be fixed.
I feel exactly the same way . He is trying but it's not working out. Such a disappointment.

Ravel96

Lukaku is still useful for certain types of game where his physical presence is required. Sanchez does not offer anything that the others don't at the moment. If he's willing to adapt to another position, he may still be useful to us. Else he has to leave or sit on the bench.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez are earning north of £700,000 a week between them - not including scoring/assists/appearance bonuses etc - which is an absolutely staggering figure given the next to nothing output they provide. They're also taking up valuable bench space that our many talented academy graduates could make far better use of - not to mention the strain their combined salaries are putting on the clubs wage bill.

We have to ship them out at the next available opportunity.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez are earning north of £700,000 a week between them - not including scoring/assists/appearance bonuses etc - which is an absolutely staggering figure given the next to nothing output they provide. They're also taking up valuable bench space that our many talented academy graduates could make far better use of - not to mention the strain their combined salaries are putting on the clubs wage bill.

We have to ship them out at the next available opportunity.
I agree on Mata too. When I see people talking about how important they are for our quality in depth I wonder if they realise that getting rid also means recruiting more suitable players. As it is 70.7% on the Caf want rid of Sanchez in the summer and 60.4% Lukaku. I don't think those numbers are reactionary, I think it's foresight.

Walters_19_MuFc

Would definately sell Sanchez, but not too sure about Lukaku.

Lukaku, despite his poor overall play, is a proven goalscorer in the EPL. His record speaks for itself and it would be very hard to find a player with that record.

That said, when we go from Rashford to Lukaku, the dynamics of our attacking play changes. Although Lukaku runs in behind, he's just not as fluent and comfortable interchanging like Rashford is.

Going forward, I would definately replace Sanchez with a pacey left winger to rotate with Martial.

As I said, not too sure about Lukaku, though.

Saffron

Would definately sell Sanchez, but not too sure about Lukaku.

Lukaku, despite his poor overall play, is a proven goalscorer in the EPL. His record speaks for itself and it would be very hard to find a player with that record.

Sanchez is just as ”proven” and was a bigger EPL star at Arsenal than Lukaku has ever been. Doesn’t really say much about the present though.