Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Haven't given up on Alexis, yet.
I haven't given up completely on him as a contributor to the team, but I simply don't see how he's a starter at United. Aside from moments here and he does very little. For me, he doesn't challenge and frighten defenders the way a starting forward at United should.

He looks a squad player to me. An obsenely expensive one at that.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Look at how much depth City have. We aren't going to get anyone of similar quality for a reasonable price.

And the form of the players currently starting will fluctuate at some point.

The obesseion by some of our fans be book balancing accountants is just baffling

Fosu-Mens

I haven't given up completely on him as a contributor to the team, but I simply don't see how he's a starter at United. Aside from moments here and he does very little. For me, he doesn't challenge and frighten defenders the way a starting forward at United should.

He looks a squad player to me. An obsenely expensive one at that.
Ozil on £300k on the bench or Sanchez on £350k on the bench?

cyril C

I'm not advocating weakening the team, quite the opposite.
So what are you advocating? As Ole said we have 6 attacking players and 3 can play at any one time, what is wrong with that? If we are going to sell Lukaku, do we get a backup striker in case Rashford is injured? If yes, do we get someone experience and expensive like Morata or someone cheap like a 16 years old untested? If we end up going after expensive backup then why bother? Beside, why say Lukaku is always a bench warmer? If Lukaku puts in a performance like last night, even without scoring, while Rashford stop scoring, do you still start Rashford regardless?

The only player under question is Mata. Yes we should go for someone faster and younger.

caid

I'd be open to offers for Lukaku I guess. I'd like to keep him as a squad option but he was having none of that at Chelsea 5 years ago as a much weaker player so i dont see any reason he'd be keen now.
Sanchez ... could probably readjust his game to be a decent player ... but i dont see it happening. We have a slim chance of selling him if we do it soon. Wait a year with him continuing his current form and no one will take him. I'd cut my losses, maybe. The next coach could have a very different set up that hes more suited to.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Thank you!

Do I pay at the front desk, or do I make the cheque out to Jordan Peterson's pseudo-psychology appreciation society? :wenger:
Either is fine Mr K. Neejerk.

Classical Mechanic

We should keep Lukaku unless we get a very serious offer. I don't enjoy watching him but he's very effective numbers wise.

Sanchez is a dud it seems. A big mistake that we'll struggle to shift.

Thiagoal

I think keeping the depth of attacking players is essential! What happens when Rash or Martial get injured if those two are sold?

If someone like Sancho is obtainable or Greenwood looks like a dead cert then the situation changes but until that time we need as many options as possible!

settembrini

Keep Lukaku as long as he is happy not being automatic starter like he was under Mourinho. He was very good last season and has been useful under Solskjaer.

If we have an opportunity to ditch Sanchez we should take it. He was an unnecessary signing who has contributed little and his contract is a millstone around the neck of the club. We just need a club dumb enough to take him off our hands like Everton did with Rooney.

cyberman

Lukaku playing in from the right could be a blessing. Being able to fit in another goalscorer is exactly what we need.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we find a buyer then i think sanchez will be sold. You don't give that outrageous salary to a reserve. Lukaku will probably remain though as goalscorers are rare and rashford will need to be rested

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yes.

Lukaku has peaked to his level which is not good enough to lead the line for us, an occasional cameo out wide or ‘super’ sub appearances is not worth keeping for.

Sanchez , I’m gutted about, I was so chuffed when we signed him, a direct attack threat, goals from nowhere potential but we haven’t seen it. He seemed to get owned by Niles last night, no pace to beat him with, no trickery, it was sad to see.

I’d be happy to see the back of them both and bring in one or two other options.

Judas

Open to offers
Sanchez might have scored, but he still looks way off of it, can't understand it. Just doesn't seem like the same player anymore. If we can get rid in the summer, I'd certainly do it, unless the next few months he finally clicks.

AndyJ1985

Depends. If clubs are willing to give us good money for them I think we could cut our wage bill while signing better replacements. If not then we may as well keep them as they are good squad players to have, albeit very expensive squad players.

Fosu-Mens

Depends. If clubs are willing to give us good money for them I think we could cut our wage bill while signing better replacements. If not then we may as well keep them as they are good squad players to have, albeit very expensive squad players.
Will not get any £££ for Sanchez. And only oil clubs and China can pay can pay his wages. I would still let him go for next to nothing.
Lukaku is not made for the type of football we are playing now. Sell him this season while we still can get a decent amount of £££ for him.

Andrew~

Do you guys really think Lukaku will want to leave this club now, especially when we’re improving so much and look like we might challenge on all fronts next season?

Same with Sanchez.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do you guys really think Lukaku will want to leave this club now, especially when we’re improving so much and look like we might challenge on all fronts next season?

Same with Sanchez.
I think he would want to leave if he was told he is not going to be first choice in any position across the front, yes.

He seems a super confident person, probably thinks he’s too good to be benched. Whether he’s got it in him to want to stay and fight for that position I’m not sure. All depends who’s giving him advice I suppose.

Devil81

Sanchez can go for me, his lack of pace is apparent whenever we break for an attack. Lukaku and Rashford fighting for a starting birth is fine by me, maybe Ole will improve Romelu as a player.

One thing I hate about Sanchez is the hand gestures, it drives me up the wall.

KennyBurner

I would only cut losses on Lukaku because I just don't think he will ever be it. His best position is drifting out wide to the right but that only works on the counter. There are only a few teams in the world we would need to deploy this tactic against so what exactly is he needed for?

KennyBurner

Sanchez can go for me, his lack of pace is apparent whenever we break for an attack. Lukaku and Rashford fighting for a starting birth is fine by me, maybe Ole will improve Romelu as a player.

One thing I hate about Sanchez is the hand gestures, it drives me up the wall.
Mata has lost pace too but is still very useful. Sanchex is very versatile and can play across our whole attack but lukaku is only good when given space. I'd take the more versatile attacker any day of the week although the cost is very high.

Devil81

Mata has lost pace too but is still very useful. Sanchex is very versatile and can play across our whole attack but lukaku is only good when given space. I'd take the more versatile attacker any day of the week although the cost is very high.
None are going to leave so it's not even open to debate anyway. Ole is happy with the attackers he's got and they've just helped us win eight games on the bounce so it's strange we're all discussing this anyway.

Member 113277

I've no issue with Sanchez or Lukaku.

Sanchez hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself under Solskjaer yet.

Although Lukaku is no longer a guaranteed starter since Mourinho was sacked. He has done well under Solskjaer, scoring goals and providing assists.

If either player wants a regular starting place then he'll need to fight for his position like any other United player. Otherwise find a new club.
[QUOTE="Neo_Mufc, We need to get them both firing and have them competing for spots a like what City do with each of their players. A bad spell and you know your spot is up.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both these posters - Sanchez needs to build confidence - he took his goal beautifully, last night - that was world class - he made it look easy, but it wasn't. He also supplied quality assists in hie previous two games.

Lukaku doesn't have Sanchez's technical skills, but he's scored and provided well since Ole took over.

Rashford and Martial are in top form at the moment, but that my go at some stage (or they may be injured), so having options in depth is a good thing.

I am much more concerned with getting a decent right back, working on a medium term replacement for Matic and a dominant CB to organise the back.

When we achieve this, we will challenge for the EPL.

Andrew~

I think he would want to leave if he was told he is not going to be first choice in any position across the front, yes.

He seems a super confident person, probably thinks he’s too good to be benched. Whether he’s got it in him to want to stay and fight for that position I’m not sure. All depends who’s giving him advice I suppose.
I don’t think this is how football managers go about things. They will tell their players they are going to compete for places and the one that applies himself the most in training and gets the end product in matches will be selected.

Players would never come to United if they thought they weren’t going to get that chance in training and the manager was going to pick ‘his guys’ regardless of form or training like José was doing near the end.

RMD83

I don’t see Sanchez being such a problem. He is more versatile and can play a few positions so if he’s fit and hopefully gets a good run of form going then he will still play in plenty of games. Lukaku though is not as versatile and as he’s coming into his prime years he probably won’t like playing second fiddle to rashford assuming he keeps up his run of form.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Based on their "Mourinho form" I can see why people would want to get rid of them. But Mourinho is gone and as far as I'm concerned, everyone has a clean slate to prove themselves. And so far, Lukaku is doing just that. He's scored or assisted in most of his appearances since OGS took over, and Sanchez really just had his first game yesterday after his hamstring injury...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Keep them both.

buckooo1978

the good news is their form is good which makes them attractive assets

if Sanchez was on 200k a week I doubt many would want him moved on. He has quality and is versatile- I think his style suits Ole

Lukaku I'm not so sure about- His assists were nice but I'd trade him for a Sancho/Dembele +50 million in a heartbeat- not sure he suits how we are playing at the minute.

Will Ole be there next season though? who could afford Sanchez or Lukaku? lots of questions

Kag

:lol: What is it with this forum and wanting to sell good players? Thank feck you’re nowhere near the club’s operations.

If City have a full fit squad then at least one of Sane, Sterling and Mahrez sit out. Two of De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo and Gundogan sit out. Jesus sits on the bench, anyway. Can’t you see what’s going on Spurs? Kane and Alli get injured and the world behaves as if Spurs are finished. Lack of depth being the reason why.

There’s talk of getting rid of Mata on here - even though he apparently wants to stay in a squad role. Bloody brilliant. Let’s keep him. How many other teams have a fifth or sixth choice attacker as good as Mata? We should be pleased he’s even happy to stay put, to be honest. He’s a great option.

If Lukaku and Sanchez want to leave then the situation changes, but under an attacking manager (at long last) there will be enough games and (hopefully) goals to keep them happy. Just like City.

We’re not talking about Darmian and Rojo here. First team players that never play and are quite clearly not good enough to play for the club. That’s who we get rid of. That’s who we replace. Not Lukaku and Sanchez for feck sake.

gajender

Was not sure about that, assumed it was the same tax as in some european countries... Thank for the clarification.
With the 100% transfer "tax" it is even worse then. We will not get alot for Sanchez.
If Sanchez is willing to go to China and Club's are interested then you could always find a way around the rules . We could loan him for remainder of his contract for good fee circumventing the transfer tax altogether unless it applies on loans as well.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t think this is how football managers go about things. They will tell their players they are going to compete for places and the one that applies himself the most in training and gets the end product in matches will be selected.

Players would never come to United if they thought they weren’t going to get that chance in training and the manager was going to pick ‘his guys’ regardless of form or training like José was doing near the end.
I agree with all that to be fair mate, I think there comes a time aswell though, that no matter how much trying and applying in training you do you’ll see you’re not getting picked as much or for the important games as the other guy.

I worded my first post a bit wrong I think saying he’d be specifically told he’d be second choice. People advising and himself should be aware it’s decent a possibility though.

Edit to add, I know it’s a possibly he could also go on a storming run and be first name on the team sheet every week. We just have to wait and see.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
:lol: What is it with this forum and wanting to sell good players? Thank feck you’re nowhere near the club’s operations.

If City have a full fit squad then at least one of Sane, Sterling and Mahrez sit out. Two of De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo and Gundogan sit out. Jesus sits on the bench, anyway. Can’t you see what’s going on Spurs? Kane and Alli get injured and the world behaves as if Spurs are finished. Lack of depth being the reason why.

There’s talk of getting rid of Mata on here - even though he apparently wants to stay in a squad role. Bloody brilliant. Let’s keep him. How many other teams have a fifth or sixth choice attacker as good as Mata? We should be pleased he’s even happy to stay put, to be honest. He’s a great option.

If Lukaku and Sanchez want to leave then the situation changes, but under an attacking manager (at long last) there will be enough games and (hopefully) goals to keep them happy. Just like City.

We’re not talking about Darmian and Rojo here. First team players that never play and are quite clearly not good enough to play for the club. That’s who we get rid of. That’s who we replace. Not Lukaku and Sanchez for feck sake.
Correct.

izec

Madness to sell them, you need a good squad to challenge for titles, unless we want to fight for top 4 again. Our attackers are fine, only add a RW and we are good to go in that department. We would only open another problematic zone in the squad, sell them and we need to buy attackers when we need a couple of defenders already. It is not football manager where we sell 8 players and buy 6 in one summer.

Member 115509

Surely give them until, at the very least, the summer and see how they fare. Obviously it will depend who is manager next season, but to discard them so quickly after binning the manager who stifled so many players in his time at United makes no sense. They proved last night they have something to offer.
Starting Lukaku and Sanchez in a game then replacing them with Rashford and Martial - or vice versa - can only be a good thing. In the Arsenal game, OGS made that change with the score at 2-1 in an attempt to try and win the game rather than trying to shut up shop. Long may it continue.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

All what you say is correct but it relies on people’s perceptions of a players quality.

Lukaku and Sanchez are not dross I agree but if we could move those on for players who would displace our starters and push those to the bench, wouldn’t that improve our depth?

Those players you named for city are better than Lukaku and Sanchez for a fast attacking team imo.

At the end of it all I agree it’s no major rush to sell them but if a possibility arose where they could leave I’d be quite happy with that.

Kag

All what you say is correct but it relies on people’s perceptions of a players quality.

Lukaku and Sanchez are not dross I agree but if we could move those on for players who would displace our starters and push those to the bench, wouldn’t that improve our depth?

Those players you named for city are better than Lukaku and Sanchez for a fast attacking team imo.

At the end of it all I agree it’s no major rush to sell them but if a possibility arose where they could leave I’d be quite happy with that.
Selling Lukaku and Sanchez and replacing them with two ‘better’ attacking players (who would this even be?), in addition to buying defenders - which should be the summer priority - is the sort of upheaval the club does not need. That’s fantasy stuff. I’m not entirely sure what kind of message it sends to Martial and Rashford either, especially when they both look like developing into proper players. The very idea of doing this just seems like a compete waste of time.

I say keep them all and buy a right winger and get them to fight it out. Under the right manager we’ll be winning games and scoring goals and the cream will rise to the top. If players then want to leave in search of game time, we allow this to happen from a position of strength.

Lentwood

I wouldn't be sorry to see Sanchez go, not because I don't think he is a useful player but for the fact that he earns a ridiculous amount of money and has no real connection with the club

Lukaku I think can be useful and we should persevere under Ole

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Kag sorry I forgot to quote.

Again, reading your post I agree with you.
There’s definitely more pressing positions to replace like defence.
Add a right winger.
Replacing 6-8 players is fantasy.
I wouldn’t know who to replace them with.

Put shortly my main point was that keeping players for depth isn’t necessarily the right choice, especially when on big bucks when theres a chance they could be replaced for better.