Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

IrishMcD

Imagine swapping Sanchez and Lukaku for Sancho and Richarlison, players that would fit into our new attacking free flowing system and could play two or thee positions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A definite yes for Sanchez. He's pointless these days

Lukaku is still a decent squad option.

Red00012

Lukaku needs to be told he’s not seen as a 1st choice striker anymore and if he stays his position will be the right wing. He was just dreadful today , I wonder how many times he touched the ball in 1st half hour.

Keefy18

I'd definitely sell Lukaku at this point.

He doesn't look bothered in the slightest about turning Ole's head lately. Only time he has stood out was the first half vs Arsenal, that aside he's been lazy and hasn't worked hard enough at all.

Seems his ego has taken a massive hit with Jose going and always playing him regardless of form and seeing Rashford steal a march on him.

Sanchez, is a lot trickier due to his massive wages. It's possible we are seeing a massive decline due to age and injury (starting to happen more frequently now) but I think with Ole there he still suits us better than Lukaku.

I'd very much be in favor of telling Rashford to run with it, you're our new CF with support from Martial and Sanchez. I'd be integrating the kid Greenwood as well then next season. Still leaves us with 4 options there.

If Sanchez was to be sold as well we'd definitely have to look at a replacement. We need a RW / RWF anyway and I'd be considering Lozano or Sancho myself.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sanchez is a complete enigma.

We know he's lost his pace and acceleration and he hasn't adapted to that yet so he's off form but then at times he does a Sanchez thing and creates a yard of space to then create an opportunity and you think maybe, just maybe, given time he'll get back to something like the player we know he used to be.

Lukaku is just fecking dogshit though. He doesn't use his physical size at all so it's needless him being so big, he's lazy, he's unintelligent when it comes to making runs, he's technically fecking awful to the point where he's got no first touch, he cannot pass, he can barely dribble beyond using his size and pace to bungle past people and he's generally a liability with the ball anywhere near him. Plus he's lost the plot mentally. It'll be better for both parties if he fecks off. Not a United player, never was and never will be.

peridigm

Is he though? Squad options should at least be able to create, come in during cup games, and if a forward player, score goals. He did jack shit today, against Fulham. He's supposed to be a game raiser against lower league sides. I expected a hat trick today. He needs to be moved on along with Sanchez and Mata.

With Sanchez, I think it team chemistry. He simply has none. He came in on reported massive wages. At least he works hard and tries to create, It just doesn't come off. Unlike Lukaku who always appears to be stoned. He just doen't move. He plays like he thinks he's a poacher. He's just incredible shit at everything he does. Lukaku does seem to be more effective coming in from the right side.

Bottom line, Martial - Rashford - Lingard is our best inform front 3. They should be starting every important match that matters from now until the end of the season and I fully expect them to.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We cant sell them now anyway, but if they both dont massively improve by the end of the season we should really try to get rid of them. Lukaku has looked like he has stones in his boots all season and Sanchez, despite a lot of huffing and puffing, has no end product

norm87cro

Feck me why Lukaku? He looks fine on the right and he kick started a few of our attacks today. He hasn't been brilliant but after today where he did alright and contributed to our 3 points there is no other explanation that some of you lot on the CAF have an agenda against him

Tony247

Lukaku's body language is not encouraging. Looks like he has lost confidence. Mourinho's trust in him made him bigger than he is.

Fracture90

Think it would be for the best really. Hopefully we can salvage some decent portion of the money invested in Lukaku because I don't think we can ask any fee for Sanchez considering his wages.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Not for those wages and outlay, he's not.

He has no fight in him, either, so being a second fiddle is not going to be agreeable to him and his style of play just does not fit in with us in terms of him having enough games to keep him placated.

He's better out wide than through the middle in this team, and only then, under special circumstance where he doesn't have to track back.

It's a terrible situation all round and I think he'll want out by May because he has no chance of usurping Rashford and he can't do the graft required to break into the team permanently in another position.

We're going to take a big loss on him, but getting the wages off the books, or, moreover, redistributiing them to players who fit the way Ole plays, is paramount, imo.

We need an rvn

Just repeating what everyone else is saying really but...

we definitely need another striker to either partner rashford or for when we rest him - but I'm more than happy to lose lukaku and get someone else in with experience. Don't think there's anyone in the reserves who I would like as our 2nd striker right now. But Lukaku looks like he's 35, not 25 as his legs look gone.

AndyJ1985

I'm of no doubt that it'd be best for us if both were sold. Even ignoring the high wages, neither are very good. There are so many better players out there I don't see any reason why we should make do with them just because...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sanchez is a complete enigma.

We know he's lost his pace and acceleration and he hasn't adapted to that yet so he's off form but then at times he does a Sanchez thing and creates a yard of space to then create an opportunity and you think maybe, just maybe, given time he'll get back to something like the player we know he used to be.

Lukaku is just fecking dogshit though. He doesn't use his physical size at all so it's needless him being so big, he's lazy, he's unintelligent when it comes to making runs, he's technically fecking awful to the point where he's got no first touch, he cannot pass, he can barely dribble beyond using his size and pace to bungle past people and he's generally a liability with the ball anywhere near him. Plus he's lost the plot mentally. It'll be better for both parties if he fecks off. Not a United player, never was and never will be.
The thing is, Sanchez was showing similarly poor form in his last season for Arsenal. That's 2 years he's been out of form which is a bad sign for a 30-year-old. It looks very much like he has simply declined.

God knows what happened to Lukaku but his new strength gaining programme has clearly done him no favours. He's pretty much a statue out there.

I'd have no qualms with them both being moved on in the summer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Think it would be for the best really. Hopefully we can salvage some decent portion of the money invested in Lukaku because I don't think we can ask any fee for Sanchez considering his wages.
Only hope is China come along and the player accepts going there, otherwise we're going to have a lot of bother moving him on.

The player will not leave for lowered wage, so our best bet outside of China, is partially subsidizing him elsewhere.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Only hope is China come along and the player accepts going there, otherwise we're going to have a lot of bother moving him on.

The player will not leave for lowered wage, so our best bet outside of China, is partially subsidizing him elsewhere.
I agree with you but I cannot see Sanchez agreeing on a move to China.

Lukaku we could sell back to Everton (maybe) but it at a substantial loss.

Fracture90

Even if Chinese clubs come for him, we can't expect anything other than some symbolic 5 million fee because they have some new taxes there doubling the initial transfer fee.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If they were on considerably less money, sure. But for the role they have in the squad, we can free up like half a million on wages and recoup at least 50m (and that would be letting them go cheap) in transfer fees if we got rid, and then brought in players that suit us and fill gaps.

Fracture90

I see a lot of people here talking about signing Dybala and we remember Lukaku speaking very complimentary about was it Juventus and Calcio?

Considering both of them are having poor seasons, maybe we can make some swap deal with some minimal money involved?

crossy1686

career ending
Lukaku has been flirting with Italy the last season or so, so lets send him that way and surely there's a club in the world that would take Sanchez off our hands for nothing?

Water Melon

Unfortunately, I do not see either Rom or Alexis improving much, so would not mind moving both of them. Hopefully, someone from reserves can step in, otherwise we will have to spend big on attackers again come summer. We already need someone for the right wing, we are looking thin in midfield and both CB and RB positions need some reinforcement too.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we got rid of Lukaku in the summer, would you take another season, of floating around 6th - 3rd and give Greenwood a chance?

Sanchez, I think Gary Neville nailed it the other week, he's making the easy runs, safe balls and hiding in games. He needs a MASSIVE improvement and be consistent with it to be considered first choice pick. if a Chinese / Arab club came in and even we had to pay £100k towards his wages i'd take it at this stage. Means it free's up space for Chong etc to get some more game time

reddaz71

100 percent, cutting our losses and promoting Greenwood and Chong for a fading Sanchez and woeful Lukaku would be quite an attractive proposition, especially to the Glazers.

kps88

We can easily give Lukaku another season; we have more pressing areas of the squad to take care of anyway. Expecting Greenwood to step up is a crazy risk.

Sanchez is done for.

steakpie

Cut our losses yes. They don't really contribute enough.

And it would save us £25M on wages and £50m as income.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We could still get good money for Lukaku if we decided to sell in the summer. He's only 25!

Alexis, on the other hand, would probably go for peanuts.
We got Sanchez for free. There's no need to get any fee for him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Treat this season as a write-off for Lukaku. Get him up to speed in the off season. Thankful we don't have members of the Caf on the board.

Less sure on Sanchez. Odds are he's done at this level and we were mugs buying him. But I'm not too fussed about moving him on yet.

Contrary to what some think, these 2 players aren't magically holding us back from glory. They are being benched by better performing players. That's how it should be. Hopefully they can get their form back.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree with you but I cannot see Sanchez agreeing on a move to China.

Lukaku we could sell back to Everton (maybe) but it at a substantial loss.
He must realise he's washed up and won't get another club in Europe willing to match anything like his current wages. I'd say it comes down to if he still wants to play football or just be a spare part who picks up a wage each week whether he'd accept a move there, personally. He could actually go to China and be a star on higher wages than he gets here whilst playing every minute of every game he is able.

Unless he has belief he can get 'it' back, he has to accept his career at the elite level is over, just as Rooney did.

re. Lukaku, there's no way he'll go to a mid-table club, imo. I think he's off to Italy if we can make the deal. We'll be massively out of pocket with the fee any Italian club will offer, but that can't be helped and at least he'd be off the books.
Even if Chinese clubs come for him, we can't expect anything other than some symbolic 5 million fee because they have some new taxes there doubling the initial transfer fee.
You just want Sanchez, and his massive wages off the books. We got him for free, so there's actually a bonus in there for us if we got money out of a sale.

hobbers

Lukaku is almost 1 goal every 2 games in his PL career and people want to cut him. Lets have 2 strikers play all the games all next season long and see what happens.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4290/Romelu-Lukaku/stats
No. Let's play the system that will get us the best results. Which is to play with inverted wingers and get the best out of our best players, Martial Rashford and Pogba.

Let's not play a system designed just to mitigate the total absence of talent that Lukaku possesses.

Fracture90

You just want Sanchez, and his massive wages off the books. We got him for free, so there's actually a bonus in there for us if we got money out of a sale.
This notion that we got Sanchez for free is rather naive one. We gave a player we paid 40 million for in return mate, how's that for free?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Treat this season as a write-off for Lukaku. Get him up to speed in the off season. Thankful we don't have members of the Caf on the board.

Less sure on Sanchez. Odds are he's done at this level and we were mugs buying him. But I'm not too fussed about moving him on yet.

Contrary to what some think, these 2 players aren't magically holding us back from glory. They are being benched by better performing players. That's how it should be. Hopefully they can get their form back.
You have a strong bias for Lukaku governing your thoughts on him coming through this dark tunnel and transforming into a player he's never been in his career.

He's suited a different style of football than what the manager wants to play, which makes him a bad fit and is a bit cruel on him in a way because the team will not be molded to suit him, which it needs to be to get the best out of him. He doesn't press, he doesn't work angles, he doesn't reset his runs and his head drops immediately when things aren't going his way - that's not a question of form, that's just the player he is whether he's scoring goals or not.

We moved someone as amazing as RVN in favour of a more fluid system that enabled others to shine as a unit. This, although to a lesser extent given the disparate quality between Lukaku and RVN, amounts to the same thing.

In some ways, I actually think it's unfair on Lukaku because we don't play to his strengths and instead force him into a way of playing that takes away from him. That's going to reach a breaking point before season end and Lukaku will want out anyway, imo.