Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

joedirt87

Lukaku needs to leave. Sanchez as a rotation striker. Rashford 1st choice. Sanchez 2nd. Martial 3rd and Greenwood emergency. Ship of Lukaku and Mata and sign Sancho. Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Lingard, Sanchez for 3 positions. If we want a target man we should just sign someone on the cheap or loan as a substitute option.
Sanchez doesn’t strike me as the type to want a role as a squad player, I think he’ll ask for a move in the summer. Now how many teams are willing to take on that salary I don’t know. I’m fine with moving on from both

Canagel

Both of them should be shipped off.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I’m disappointed in Rom’s movement this season. Think he worked the front line much better last year. Now he is too cumbersome. He is tipping into the “sell on” category for me. His work rate needs a big improvement. His touch will always be poor, it’s not his game. Off the shoulder and splitting defenders is - which he isn’t bothered doing lately. Offers nothing off the bench either as he isn’t offering a viable outlet and his touch is bollocks.

Alexis, on those wages he isn’t good enough anymore. He’s lost his pace and his just a more expensive Mata. His only saving grace is maybe give him a run through the middle instead of Lukaku when Rashford isn’t selected/rested. But he’s too costly to have as an option off the bench.

Rojofiam

Why the feck would we offload both of them when we finally have some depth going forward after so many years? :rolleyes:

kundalini

If they are prepared to be back-up players then I would be content for them to stay until Greenwood is a realistic contender for a place in the team. So at least next season, possibly two seasons.

I don't want either of them to start games ahead of Martial and Rashford respectively.

If either wants to leave then I wouldn't have a problem with selling them.

For all their faults, they have both made a contribution towards the impressive run of results under Solskjaer.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
1. A permanent manager should decide (this isn't a "Fellaini situation")

2. No sense offloading without securing suitable replacements

3. Age, past record, wages, resale value, wishes of player all come into play

Considering all of that, I'd wait until the summer. For both players. We make enough money that we don't need to sell to buy.

Also. How good is this Greenwood kid?

Dante

Average bang
Lukaku is a very good player with plenty of uses. He won 10 aerial balls against Fulham. And when he's on form, he's probably the best finisher in the squad.

Sanchez looks shot. His decision making is being impacted by his waning pace. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's hiding on the pitch. But compared to what he used to be, he's definitely opting for the easy option far too often. I'm not sure this is a decline he can come back from. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

OleGunnar20

Somone capable of thriving in a fluid front three to hopefully cement a place alongside Rashford & Martial, eg: Sancho, Dembele, Dybala, Anderson, Fekir, Lozano, Pepe etc etc.

Chong & Greenwood brought in for backup / rotation roles.

If Mata leaves we'd likely need another signing there, however I'd rather keep him for the extra season considering the value trapped in Lukaku's lead-lined boots & the wages being spent on both.

Get an exciting new starter and blood some youth? Sign me up.

Parry Gallister

Lukaku is a very good player with plenty of uses. He won 10 aerial balls against Fulham. And when he's on form, he's probably the best finisher in the squad.

Sanchez looks shot. His decision making is being impacted by his waning pace. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's hiding on the pitch. But compared to what he used to be, he's definitely opting for the easy option far too often. I'm not sure this is a decline he can come back from. Would love to be proven wrong, though.
This. Mad how people want Lukaku out - he's not the fastest but he is clever with his movement and can play quite fluidly in a front-three, if he's good staying and not starting each game then I don't know why you'd want him out.

Sanchez looks cursed. Basic stuff doesn't go right for him, even passes seem under or overhit way too much. Like when a young player has a growth spurt and becomes clumsy or a team under a manager who needs the sack looks dead - that sort of level of awkward inability.

James Ward

Keep Lukaku, handy squad player. If we can offload sanchez we definitly should, even for free

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Absolutely not, Lukaku and Sanchez are our strength rather than weakness. Not many teams in the world are capable of introducing players of their quality from the bench.

The FA Cup tie v Arsenal is biggest proof why they are so important, both contributed to our first 2 goals. And when we needed to kill the game off, we brought on fresh legs of Martial and Rashford. I don't think people understand how big of a luxury that is. All great Fergie sides had 4-5 regular goalscorers.

Also, this Lukaku hate is also getting tiresome, despite his shortcomings on the ball he scored 27 times last season. Something which hadn't been done since RVP's debut season. At the moment he is undergoing through a serious crisis of confidence after being displaced by Rashford, plus he obviously bulked up too much last summer and isn't as mobile and quick as last season. This summer there are no International obligations so he can shed the muscle and come back ready in great shape next pre-season.

Sanchez is more of a worry because as time passes on he reminds me more and more of Rooney in his last few years with us. Both played games with great intensity and had tremendous mileage on their body, it slowly and gradually took a toll. Rooney much like Sanchez would always produce a great pass or a goal or a performance from time to time but he struggled for consistency since 2014 season. I see same similarities in Sanchez game.

Given his wages it would be difficult to offload him but I hope we give him until at least 1st half of next season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think it's fine to keep both as long as they are happy. Sanchéz feels like he's getting sharper after injuries and he's trying. One of the few players that tries and succeeds at those threading passes. I think he deserves time. So many players have improved under Ole and he's only just gotten back from injury post-Mourinho. I mean he's only got 137/900 minutes in those matches, 3 of them as a sub. No full game yet.

Lukaku is a good player but I'm in the camp that he's not just our type of player. His first touch isn't good enough, his link up in the air with the people around him just isn't there (a long ball to his head is a lost ball). I feel like he takes a bit time to adjust and with Ole reset button he's a bit like a new signing into the team which obviously isn't complementary. I think that if we get a decent offer we should take it if we've got a decent replacement in mind. It's ok to lose some money on the transfer if we don't have to pay those future fees.

In short, those two are not on the list of players that I would be sad or annoyed to see sold but they're also not players that I actively want out either (not really a list anymore that).

haram

People want to sell whoever isn't currently in the first eleven.

slir32

I would sell Sanchez and Keep Lukaku for 1 more season. No point selling at a loss and getting ripped off on another striker.

Tony247

Sanchez looks older than his age. Don't want rumor mongering but south american footballers are known to fake their birth year.

Kaos

I'd get rid of Sanchez to at least try and remedy our buggered wage structure. Not his fault but he's essentially the reason we have players demanding stupid salaries in new contract talks.

Vida_15

Realistically both will not be here for the long term.

Sanchez' wages are a detriment to the rest of the squad. Given his performances aren't matching what he's being paid we'll need to find a way to cut ties soon and it will be easier to find a replacement 'squad role' winger or push through Chong or Gomes.

Lukakus' attributes are unique, would be difficult to replace and by all reports he's respected by those around him so I'm inclined to keep him until Greenwood is ready to play or Rom wants to leave for more game time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The impulse to sell both I can understand, even if it's unrealistic.

The desire to keep Sanchez over Lukaku though I don't get. Sanchez is older, on more money, has done less in his time here and is less likely to make an impact off the bench (as evidenced by the goals we've seen Lukaku grab from the bench in limited minutes under Solskjaer).

Kaos

Realistically both will not be here for the long term.

Sanchez' wages are a detriment to the rest of the squad. Given his performances aren't matching what he's being paid we'll need to find a way to cut ties soon and it will be easier to find a replacement 'squad role' winger or push through Chong or Gomes.

Lukakus' attributes are unique, would be difficult to replace and by all reports he's respected by those around him so I'm inclined to keep him until Greenwood is ready to play or Rom wants to leave for more game time.
What part of Lukaku’s game is ‘unique’ exactly? I’d say he’s actually a very predictable striker for opposing defenders and relies almost exclusively on his physical attributes.

SoCross

If they are prepared to be back-up players then I would be content for them to stay until Greenwood is a realistic contender for a place in the team. So at least next season, possibly two seasons.

I don't want either of them to start games ahead of Martial and Rashford respectively.

If either wants to leave then I wouldn't have a problem with selling them.

For all their faults, they have both made a contribution towards the impressive run of results under Solskjaer.
I fall in this camp too. Martial and Rashford first choice, both of them backup. We have more pressing needs in the squad than thinking of again re-jigging our attack this summer. Ideal situation to bring on some on like Greenwood and Chong too.

rpg

If only Lukaku have the aerial power of Fellaini. That is what i kept thinking watching him plays everytime. He so poor on the air its unbelievable for someone his size.

POF

Definitely should keep both for at least another season. The team needs reinforcements in defence and depth in midfield which should be the priority in the summer.

With Greenwood and Chong coming through, they should be given more chances next season. If they prove not to be good enough over the next couple of seasons, then the club can go into the market but until that time Lukaku and Sanchez are plenty good enough.

Re the suggestion of Vardy above, there is no chance that is happening. He looks to be struggling permanently with injuries this season and his pace and movement are nowhere near where they were 2 seasons ago.

Sell Sanchez. It's clear by now he's not the player he once was, and with the wages he is on he shouldn't be a bench warmer.

Lukaku i think should be given a summer and season to lose weight and see if he can fit in this team somehow. I wouldnt be overly disappointed if we sold him too though.

Thiagoal

I really can't see a) these two players being happy regular bench players b) Ed Woodwood/ Glazers being happy paying 500k a week to first subs! As such, I'd offload both of them and bring in another exciting young talent like Sancho (if available) if not then someone like Fekir that will be; give more opportunities to Greenwood and Chong; and bring in an experienced back up striker in a similar vain to what Spurs did with Llorente

Jinn

The poll gives us options that do not take into account replacements. For the ones who are asking how can we offload without replacements should read the options first.

Jinn

I can live with Sanchez, but Lukaku has got to go.. even without a replacement.

sp_107

When players look at lukaku, Alexis wages and their contribution it might create uneasiness between players and also difficult for board while negotiating players contracts as everyone point to these 2 and demand more. So better get rid of them.

Could some one explain why our wage bill is 297 millions a year? One of the highest

Alexis(18), Pogba(10), DDG(10) Lukaku(10), Mata(7), Matic(7)
Martial(5), Lingard(5), Rashford(5)
Herrra(5), Fred(5), perrera(3), Mctominay(2), Young(5), Velencia(5), Shaw(5), Lindelof(5), Jones(4), smalling(4), eric(4), Delot(3), darmian(4), Rojo(5),Romero (3), Jose,OGS(20) and all coaching staff(10)

Approx 170£ millions in total so wondering on what else we are spending rest of 120£ millions out of total 290£ wage bill

Could some one pleae brief me ?

Darlington Padgett

Haven't read all the posts yet so may have missed it, but would love to know who the wombleheads that have voted 'both' would bring in to replace them
That's a really good question, I think we can move on Sanchez and keep Lukaku. At the moment we have a solid front 3 with Martial Rashford and Lingard, we could bring in Sancho to replace Lingard in our starting 11 and sell Sanchez but Lukaku is something we lack either coming off the bench or as a starter.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You cannot have the highest bracket of earners at a club be so poor - it sets a terrible precedent and the players who are actually delivering, have every right to be knocking on doors asking what the hell is going on.

Sanchez is on elite, superstar wages, yet he performs at the level of a mid-table squaddie, not even starter. That is untenable. You get him, and those wages out ASAP! But if I were Sanchez, and didn't want to go to China, I'm not going anywhere until my wages are matched by whatever means necessary. The biggest problem is there'll be no takers for him in Europe unless he accepts a massive wage cut, and why on God's green earth would he do that?

People seem to have this notion that Lukaku will accept being a spare part who is dumped wherever, be it the bench or playing in lesser games or out of position. Lukaku really does not perceive himself in that way and he is not one who has fight in him to reclaim a lost position. He needs a loving arm around him and plenty of coddling and reassurance he is the main man. Ole would be flat out lying if he put the notion forward that he sees Lukaku as his go-to forward. Lukaku's past actions and interviews have always suggested he sees himself as top striker who deserves top striker respect and starting berth - he is not a second fiddle minded individual, and never mind what we as club would want, if that were to keep him. He'd be disgruntled and want assurances he can't get or state he wants to go. If things carry on as they are, the only way Lukaku himself will want to stay here is if new management is coming in over the summer.

The whole paragraph may be dismissed as conjecture, but there's nothing in his career to date that suggest otherwise, and his attitude at Chelsea where he would not tolerate the bench, whilst not having all those PL goals behind him, should tell its own story - the more established, big money, entering the peak years of his career Lukaku would now accept a bit-part role to an understudy who is a number of years younger than him? Just no way he takes to that, nor should he, as plenty of teams out there would work to his strengths and show and prove they value him more than we do or can.

Patrick08

As supporters its time to get behind them as well and create an atmosphere where they can get back to their best. If those two get themselves in form the bench strength and the squad will be amazing.

Ole can work with both players and improve them. Surely they deserve more chances to come back to form.

buckooo1978

paying wages like the ones we are paying to squad players like Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Rojo - players who aren't having any real impact has consequences on our planning

when all of Smalling, Jones, Young and even Mata contracts are being extended it makes you wonder are the club shying away from signing players where there is the big transfer fee+wages involved

maybe the Glazers are only willing to spend 150 million to bring in 2 marquee players?

zenith

As of now I'm in the 'keep both' camp. If we add a quality right winger then imagine the depth of squad and the healthy competition for places. We could be title contenders as early as next year.

Right now we may appear sorted, but a loss of form for either rashford or martial via even an injury /suspension type situation will land us in big trouble. We need players who are capable of stepping in.

Sanchez IMHO can make a very capable false nine and his experience can be vital for us in big games. The man deserves a proper chance in an attacking team.

The same goes for lukaku, I'm hoping that he will shed a lot of bulk over the summer and return to the terrifying and pacey goal scorer that he was. If ole is appointed manager, I can totally see lukaku improving drastically.

Both of them in the squad next season, would give us amazing options. I hope people can see that

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why the feck would we offload both of them when we finally have some depth going forward after so many years? :rolleyes:
Because this depth doesn't provide quality. Sanchez, as much as I like him, has been simply cack, Lukaku has been massively disappointing this season too.

Vida_15

What part of Lukaku’s game is ‘unique’ exactly? I’d say he’s actually a very predictable striker for opposing defenders and relies almost exclusively on his physical attributes.
Clearly yes his physicality is one of his main, well... strengths. He's left footed and his positioning is good. These abilities can be used against specific opponents.

As I touched on in my previous post, he has leadership qualities and by all reports gets on well with the rest of the squad.

He's obviously in poor form now and probably lacking some pace this season, but is proven in the league, can turn things around and play a role in my opinion.

With all that said, I probably wouldn't have bought him in the first place...

Bestietom

Lukaku looked like a passenger yesterday. I really thought his movement was bad, there was a few balls he would have got to another time. I really think he is feeling it, not being first choice anymore. I can see him move on in the summer.

As for Sanchez, he is being paid far too much for what he gives back. Get rid, and bring in Jaoa Felix or Sancho.

RC89

Voted sell Sanchez and keep Lukaku. Just feel like if we get rid of both at same time, we'd likely have to replace and then bring in the new additions for the rest of the team. Could be a lot of players needing to be bedded in and will likely impact team chemistry.

Sanchez is almost useless at this point, and his salary is prohibitive both financially and for squad morale. Has already set a dangerous precedent and so far there has been no reward. His wages alone could probably cover that of three players coming in. Get rid.