Lukaku defending set pieces is an absolute menace!

davidmichael

I’d rather Lukaku NOT be back to help defend because he’s fecking awful and as he’s the kind of striker he is he should be furthest forward at ALL times, surely it’s not rocket science.

DarkXaero

I don't know if many people noticed this but RvP was amazing at defending set pieces in his time here.
He most certainly was, even after his first season here when he started to decline as a player. It's really unfortunate that we didn't get more than 1 season of prime RVP here.

RedStarUnited

I don't know if many people noticed this but RvP was amazing at defending set pieces in his time here.
I remember this vividly but as someone above stated strikers are usually used to defent the first post. Lukaku somehow finds himself right in the thick of it every time, why are our CB's and CMs not there?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I remember this vividly but as someone above stated strikers are usually used to defent the first post. Lukaku somehow finds himself right in the thick of it every time, why are our CB's and CMs not there?
Because the opposition know he's bad at defending and target him?

Jagga7

It's really pathetic. It's basic skills of heading and kicking the ball which he struggles to do from defensive set pieces.

Jaybomb

He’s only there cause we don’t have Fellaini to do it.

Fellaini is the best in the squad at doing this.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Goal is for him and Rojo. But Letting him man marking at the second post is an absolute joke !

Mourinho should let him in the wall or being the first man on the line

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It makes no sense. An attacking header is so much more difficult than a defensive one, but he's absolutely brilliant at attacking ones and awful at defensive ones.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He shouldn't be in the 6 yard box. He currently looks too awkward to be in there. Players doing that job do get unlucky at times, but currently it's looking worse than just luck.

Unfortunately, with the centre back injuries we've had, we do need height back there, and I guess that's why he's being sent to that position. I think we've reached the point though where someone smaller will need to be assigned, and Lukaku bumped out of the crowd to do the loose ball stuff round the penalty spot. His confidence can't be great back there right now, and that's got to be bad for his teammates as well.

Woodzy

I didn't see much of the City game and remember more games before that where I thought the same about him in the box.

Actually, I'm sure it was Arsenal and CSKA. I'm not sure his errors were responsible for any goals but it's quite clear he's causing a problem.

In fact, with the one against Arsenal didn't he nearly put it in the net himself?!

Antonedwin

He’s only there cause we don’t have Fellaini to do it.

Fellaini is the best in the squad at doing this.
correct me if i am wrong but we never conceded from corner or indirect free kick whenever fellaini is on the pitch , i don't think anyone better than him in doing that

SlothIsLove

If we really want to use him for defending set pieces (which I think we do, so we can leave faster / better dribbling players up front for counter), maybe we should try to place him on the near post. I think it's easier for him to defend from there, and also our opponents have been targeting our far post a lot.

NotQuiteManc

For now, Lukaku should just stay up, and be the counter target rather than be an assist maker for the opponent.

Make use of his strength which is running and stretch the defensive line. He can help when defending a lead (in the last few minutes of the game and not in the first minute).

Canagel

Lukaku isn't strong enough in both boxes at the moment and that's killing us. He was standing like a tree in the second half waiting for crosses. Why is he not moving and asking questions of defenders? That's how you force errors. We always wonder why City keep getting penalties but it's a consequence of constant probing and movement. Burnley were just standing in the 6 yard area waiting to clear aimless crosses. It's very frustrating.

el3mel

Probably the worst tall striker I have seen in defending set pieces in my life. :lol:

iKeano

De Gea needs to have the cahonies to tell Lukaku to stay away. Three OA’s* this season already and almost an OG against Arsenal. Never seen a big man bullied so much.

*OA = Own Assist. A footballing term I had to coin just for Lukaku and his brutal attempts at defending to City and Burnley’s benefits.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's there because he's got neither the pace, touch or dribbling ability of Martial/Rashford, who Jose leaves up the pitch. However, he'll have to change that because Rom is a liability defending set pieces. It's a shame to not be able to utilise his physical attributes in those situations but we simply should stop risking it.

BigdaftGorby

I'd rather have an actual donkey in there.

He'll come good though. We need him in the box because of his size, but to be indirectly responsible for 3 goals in a fortnight whilst heading out of your own box is incredibly unlucky.
Going to have to give you my opinion here, indirectly is losing the ball upfield and the other team breaking and scoring. He as good as assisted 3 goals for the oppo so I’m going with directly on this. :)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Going to have to give you my opinion here, indirectly is losing the ball upfield and the other team breaking and scoring. He as good as assisted 3 goals for the oppo so I’m going with directly on this. :)
Yeah I guess. I'm trying to go easy on him, but there's no denying his mistakes have led to 3 goals.

BigdaftGorby

Yeah I guess. I'm trying to go easy on him, but there's no denying his mistakes have led to 3 goals.
He’s been responsible for 3 that we know of but I’m pretty sure he’s been lucky a few times, think DDG saved his blushes once with a great save!!

Seij

Leave him upfield for counterattacking. He's been trying to give goals away all month and actually succeeded a few times in crucial moments. Basically lost several points for us.

jem

A question: did he have similar problems at Everton? I think he's come in for some harsh criticism recently, but the set-piece defending has been criminal.

Bobski

He is there because it has been part of the job of pretty much every tall player since the game began. Help defend at set pieces. I have seen Ronaldo back defending in that situation, Zlatan as well, so even monstrous ego's accept the responsibility. Just has to do a better job, concentrate and not be so slow to react.

Nucks

RT History Department
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to instruct Lukaku to defend the corner, when WE'RE taking a corner. He will be unstoppable assist machine!

leontas

Pretty sure Stormzy has been playing the last few games while Lukaku is vacationing somewhere in Brazil.

LeftyBlaster

Why was he even in the box for the Burnley goal? Would've made more sense to swap him and Zlatan who was waiting upfield especially with his pace on the counter. Poor poor organisation. In any case, Jose should tell him to pretend he's defending set pieces when we attack.