Lukaku on the right wing

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He needs more support. I would love to see us play in a 4-4-2 diamond. It puts all of our players in their best positions

-----------------------------De Gea-----------------------------
Valencia------------Jones------------Bailley---------Young/Shaw
-----------------------------Matic-------------------------------
---------Herrara/Fellaini--------------Pogba----------------------
----------------------------Sanchez----------------------------
-------------------Lukaku----------Martial/Rashford-------------

Lukaku needs support. Can you imagine Cole without Yorke? Either can I. Bring back our 4-4-2. Just change it up a bit and play it with midfielders. Our strikers can supply width on the counter attack and our FB's can provide width in possession. This will also put Pogba in his best position as a #8. Sanchez can play any of the attacking roles but he is at his best in a free role...

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree with the OP.

Would not consider him a traditional right winger of course, but more similar to Salah in terms of;

- Lukaku still being the player highest up the pitch stretching the opponent,
- Lukaku attacking the space between fullback and centreback,

Biggest difference would be him less involved in build up play and more playing with his face towards the opponents goal. In my opinion both is crucial to getting the best out of him.

diplomat

I agree with the OP.

Would not consider him a traditional right winger of course, but more similar to Salah in terms of;

- Lukaku still being the player highest up the pitch stretching the opponent,
- Lukaku attacking the space between fullback and centreback,

Biggest difference would be him less involved in build up play and more playing with his face towards the opponents goal. In my opinion both is crucial to getting the best out of him.
And who are we going to lump the ball to, because it's one of our main tactics? Sanchez? Martial?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Why cant Sanchez play on the right and martial on the left? This makes the most sense to me.
That's not much of a change from our current setup though. I doubt switching two guys is going to have a big effect. And we did play with Sanchez on the right and Martial on the left for some time against Spurs.

diplomat

That's not much of a change from our current setup though. I doubt switching two guys is going to have a big effect. And we did play with Sanchez on the right and Martial on the left for some time against Spurs.
When you think about it, we have tried every different tactical setup that is being discussed on the Caf and nothing has been changing suddenly. Maybe the problems lie much deeper than simple positions of players.

luke511

When you think about it, we have tried every different tactical setup that is being discussed on the Caf and nothing has been changing suddenly. Maybe the problems lie much deeper than simple positions of players.
The one constant is Lukaku as striker..

diplomat

And who payed £75m + Rooney + £10m in add-ons for Lukaku, making him virtually undroppable every single game of the season, whilst having only Ibrahimovic as a back-up, since Rashford has been shunted on the wings?

Roeindo

Bar De Gea, Lukaku is the safest player in teamsheet right now.

I wonder why Jose doesnt want to play Martial or Rashford as a striker to replace Lukaku since we have Sanchez in the team now.

His first touch is awful thats why last night he failed to make quick transition /one two with Sanchez in the Sevilla box to create chances or to open up spaces instead he opted to move to RW that left a hole upfront.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
And who are we going to lump the ball to, because it's one of our main tactics? Sanchez? Martial?
If we are going to lump it towards someone, lump it towards Lukaku. Its not like he will be positioned far our at the touchline, and he will probably be able to beat a fullback like Delph in the air too.

diplomat

If we are going to lump it towards someone, lump it towards Lukaku. Its not like he will be positioned far our at the touchline, and he will probably be able to beat a fullback like Delph in the air too.
We might as well try that, although I don't see it working with the way we play right now.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Why are some so desperate to accommodate a player which will likely never be able to be the main man for a team like Manchester United? Instead of shifting players to suit him, maybe find a striker suited for the other 10 players ln the pitch. This situation very much reminds me of our time with Gomez, who also scored lots of goals but was one of the hindrances towards competing for the highest honors.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He should play as a CF, but I think he should be allowed to run the channels more. He's got the pace and power to make strides down the touchline and can put in a good cross, I think he would help stretch the play at times and do this selflessly, more so than the likes of Martial or Sanchez do who just always look to come in side and end up narrowing the field.

simplyared

I can understand the reasons for wanting to try him on the wing but if we did that it would be desperation imo. We've paid all that money for a top striker and that's what he is and that's where we should play him. What is it with players we sign from Everton? Fellaini was the same. He has never been anywhere near the level he was at since he joined us. Lukaku seems to have lost his game completely. He's unrecognizable comparing him with his performances for his previous club. No, moving him out on the wing would be a big tactical mistake and would have negative consequences on other players who are much better in that position.

Jaybomb

Play him up front with Rashford.

Feck this “one striker” rubbish. Our glory days came with the 442. Two traditional wingers who can actually cross, two energetic CMs and two pacey strikers.

***New RM** Matic Pogba Sanchez
Lukaku Rashford

We should have signed Perisic or Mahrez.

ravi2

And who payed £75m + Rooney + £10m in add-ons for Lukaku, making him virtually undroppable every single game of the season, whilst having only Ibrahimovic as a back-up, since Rashford has been shunted on the wings?
If Lukaku is really hindering the progress of the team as a whole then Jose and the board have to make the difficult decision and sell him. I dont see him as a RW ever tho he has a decent cross on him, which is more than I can say for most of the squad. We are bullshit at crossing

If we wanted a RW Mahrez has been available for over a year.

marktan

I think it's a great idea. He has great power with the ball at his feet, and giving him space on the right will let him have a run at defences. He's done it a couple of times this season and has been good.

Maybe play a fluid front 3 of Martial - Sanchez - Lukaku

Or Sanchez/Martial - Rashford - Lukaku

Any of those are better than the static trio that are Sanchez - Lukaku - Mata

luke511

Why are some so desperate to accommodate a player which will likely never be able to be the main man for a team like Manchester United? Instead of shifting players to suit him, maybe find a striker suited for the other 10 players ln the pitch. This situation very much reminds me of our time with Gomez, who also scored lots of goals but was one of the hindrances towards competing for the highest honors.
I agree, he doesn't have the technical ability to be a lone striker for a top team. If it was up to me I'd sell him in the summer because we wouldn't have a problem getting back most of the money we paid for him, he's a mid table club's dream. The problem is he's here to stay, Mourinho hasn't shown any sort of sign otherwise, he is undroppable at the moment.. The next best thing is to play him where he is benefit's the team the most and I strongly believe he'd be better suited more right wing than main striker.

Janson

Alexis fecking sanchez and Rashford. We have natural world class right winger who is playing on the left and benching our best attacking player.
Martial is not our best attacking player. I don't think anyone in their right mind would believe that.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
He needs more support. I would love to see us play in a 4-4-2 diamond. It puts all of our players in their best positions

-----------------------------De Gea-----------------------------
Valencia------------Jones------------Bailley---------Young/Shaw
-----------------------------Matic-------------------------------
---------Herrara/Fellaini--------------Pogba----------------------
----------------------------Sanchez----------------------------
-------------------Lukaku----------Martial/Rashford-------------

Lukaku needs support. Can you imagine Cole without Yorke? Either can I. Bring back our 4-4-2. Just change it up a bit and play it with midfielders. Our strikers can supply width on the counter attack and our FB's can provide width in possession. This will also put Pogba in his best position as a #8. Sanchez can play any of the attacking roles but he is at his best in a free role...
That formation would be nice for a change.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's where I'd play him. Not only because he's looked very good there - dribbling past the opposition, whipping in some great crosses, cutting in and playing some nice incisive passes, all whilst remaining a goal threat - but because we'd be able to play Rashford as the CF where he prefers, or Martial there who's better at holding the ball up, turning, and causing mayhem. Then, whoever isn't the CF out of those two, they can play on the left where they're much better than on the right with Alexis in the center.
& this is why

Josep Dowling

The best I've seen from him technically is when he's bombing down the right flank with space in front of him to run into. Free from tight marking from the centrebacks. Martial on the left, Sanchez as striker and Lukaku on the right would be a great set up in my opinion.
LVG is that you?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s got a wicked inswinger with that left boot of his.

Reminds me of one of Motson’s old sayings about Strikers, they tend to put in a good cross because they know exactly what they’d like to get on the end of.

FujiVice

Amazing how he's our best crosser. Maybe playing him as a one dimensional front man isnt the way to go?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd sooner find another way to improve our right wing and leave our best striker as a striker.

marktan

A fluid front 3 with Lukaku sometimes switching onto the right, a bit like how Tevez / Ronaldo / Rooney used to do, would be good. He's so strong when he's running with the ball it's a shame to just have him sitting in the middle waiting on non-existant service. That's twice now I believe he's assisted from the RW.

haram

Great cross on him. Goal against Huddersfield away, goal against newcastle where Rashford knocks it back to Pogba, and today. Good when he makes runs into that channel.