Lukaku on the right wing

kkengvib

I also do not believe he's a target man. He's been typecast into the role because he's big and strong. However, he doesn't have the right skillset to excel there.
I don't believe putting him as a RW will also work. He may operate best in a front 2 where he can occasionally drift out wide and switch roles with his partner. For example, he could start up top with Martial or Sanchez and take turns drifting out wide, allowing the attacking midfielder (e.g. Pogba, Mata) to push up into the box.

SAFMUTD

Just because he has done a few good interventions from the right does not mean that he would be a good/decent right wing. While he is an all effort guy I don´t think he can keep up tracking back against a Left Back, and he is not as skilled as a winger him beating a man is based on him speed and strenght. It would be really easy to nullify him in that position.

His best role is up front, but not as a target man. He does not have the ability to retain the ball, a lot of people think he should be good at it because he is very physical, tall and strong but he lacks some very especific skills to do the job, the main ones being his first touch and his ability to retaining the ball.

He should be played as an aproach striker, like Chicharito when he played for us. He is not going to create the chances by himself, he needs the services to get the goals. We should be playing to his strenghts instead of forcing him to play a role that clearly does not suit him.

buckooo1978

let's not kid ourselves

Lukaku lacks the technical ability to play on the wing for a top side

one great cross against Chelsea does not change that

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Lukaku on the right wing? Did he became an UKIP supporter?

Now on a serious mode, I don't think he's skilled enough to play a cut inside winger nor the tactical discipline to track the opposition fullback, but worth the try, I guess.
Desperate times requires desperate measures.

luke511

Would be great to see him holding that wide position for the entirety of a game just once, to see if he has it in him or not. Only good I've seen from him under OGS has come from the right flank.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He is our Lingard sub more than our Rashford sub as far as I'm concerned.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's a decent crosser and would do better in the air against the full back/a midfielder than against a CB when De Gea pings them down the flank. He's also decent at running into space so not a bad shout to try him out there if the opponent's left flank isn't particularly dangerous going forward.

joedirt87

Not really the time to try him out as a winger. I don’t know if he would be as effective as an out and out winger vs what we have seen of him as a central forward or wide forward being able to drift out to the right. The role would require him to put in much more of a defensive shift getting up and down the pitch, plus he would have to pass and control the ball in tighter spaces along the sideline. That right wing spot when Lingard or Mata play it has more of a free role in the team. Would be fun for comedic purposes to see Lukaku try and play a free role.

AndyJ1985

How about we just buy a really good right winger instead? I know we've had a habit of fannying about with moving players out of position in recent years, but believe it or not it's not usual behaviour, most clubs don't do that.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm starting to think he's better out on the right where he can't try and hold up the ball, his only option out there is to run onto it or run at people. As a target man he's a piss poor.

We need an rvn

Have we not learnt our lesson shoehorning people into positions where they can “do a job”?

Silly thread imo.
Amen to that. If we don't have someone special coming through (chong) who can be our sancho we should be going all out for sancho, not placing a heavy weight who has lost his legs and lacks the skills a winger needs

Fracture90

Have we not learnt our lesson shoehorning people into positions where they can “do a job”?

Silly thread imo.
Exactly this, we shouldn't be afraid to let go of Lukaku and find a proper RW, instead of trying to shoehorn him in this team because he can maybe do a job.

PieCrust

He's better on the right side than in the central striker role. Lukaku is at his best running into space, utilizing his pace and physiciality. He could excel at chasing balls down the channel and has enough about him to beat a full back from time to time to create a chance.

He's better than Mata at RW and offers something different than Lingard, who on form at the moment, should be the first choice RW with Lukaku as his backup.

I'm not saying don't buy a proper RW this summer, but Lukaku isn't worthless there either. It's unlikely we will be able to off-load him anyway and I'd like to see him get some matches on the RW this season.

AaronRedDevil

Funny enough he's probably the best crosser in the team. He's strangely good at passing. He really needs to work on his positioning though sometimes he's wide open and they just don't bother to pick him out. We'd all might be saying something different if Martial passed it to him when he scored that goal. Both would be praised then.