Lukaku on the right wing

Greck

As a winger? No, as that means he'll be picking up the ball 40 yards deeper. There's a huge difference between that and drifting to the right from the front line. Maybe as a RWF, maybe

Walters_19_MuFc

Don't think he should play right wing, but with an interchanging front three, we'd see a lot of Lukaku popping up into the right channel like we have seen quite a bit this season.

Member 90887

We should get Mahrez for the position! let Lukaku play his main position. it says a lot about the state of this position that the player that looks the best on the RW is Lukaku!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He’s really good wide. Just because he’s a big lad, we shouldn’t insist he stays central. He causes a lot of trouble for the full backs when he runs wide and he’s one of our best crossers of the ball.

Scholsey2004

Not as a winger but he is effective rolling in from the right in a similar way to henry did from the left flank.

luke511

I see a lot of people concentrating on this 'not a right winger' thing, my original point was more to do with how effective he seems to be from the wide position on the right flank, meaning he would be more suited to a wider role up front on the right, not so much a right midfielder that will have to track back a lot.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I see a lot of people concentrating on this 'not a right winger' thing, my original point was more to do with how effective he seems to be from the wide position on the right flank, meaning he would be more suited to a wider role up front on the right, not so much a right midfielder that will have to track back a lot.
Yeah, i fully agree. Imagine Martial as the left striker and Lukaku as the right, they'd have a great mix of qualities in a partnership. It's a shame 4-4-2 is sort of outdated, i'd love to see something like that. They both would benefit greatly from playing with a partner up front but other players in the squad probably doesn't fit so good with that formation. We'll see in the summer what players comes in but I hope we'll at least try it out for some games to see if it really could be fruitful

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I think the front 3/4 should just interchange throughout the game like we used to do with rooney, ronaldo, tevez, giggs, nani. It varies up our attack and makes us way less predictable and more fluid.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I have noticed that lukaku has made a lot of great assists/ chances for us from the right flank. Not that he should start as our right winger, but should continue drifting there occasionally to mix it up

Nikelesh Reddy

The best I've seen from him technically is when he's bombing down the right flank with space in front of him to run into. Free from tight marking from the centrebacks. Martial on the left, Sanchez as striker and Lukaku on the right would be a great set up in my opinion.
He"ll probably hand in a transfer request if we play him on the right!Hes a goal scorer who thrives off putting the ball in the back of the net,he's not going to shift to the right at the age of 25....He's not going to want to spend the best days of his career running up and down the right,he"ll probably leave the club and play as a striker elsewhere.

He's a good crosser and that's certainly quite handy at times,but he has to keep playing as a striker if we want him to stay at this club....

luke511

He"ll probably hand in a transfer request if we play him on the right!Hes a goal scorer who thrives off putting the ball in the back of the net,he's not going to shift to the right at the age of 25....He's not going to want to spend the best days of his career running up and down the right,he"ll probably leave the club and play as a striker elsewhere.

He's a good crosser and that's certainly quite handy at times,but he has to keep playing as a striker if we want him to stay at this club....
Why would him playing more on the right mean he'd score less goals? Salah doesn't have a problem..

RedStarUnited

For the simple fact that it would stop us launching silly balls and play to feet - I would have tried this option ages ago.

In my ideal world, Lukaku Martial and Sanchez would be free to interchange positions.

Drifter

American
No just no. One good cross to lingard and all our prayers have been answered.

OldTrevil

That doesn't really work as a system. Everyone abandoned it long ago.
Mourinho actually hinted more than once that that formation was used when Martial was on the pitch against Chelsea, specifically mentioning Sanchez at the top of the diamond.
Imo that formation would fit out personnel very well provided we have an offensively competent RB as @Pass and Move hilariously put it, as well as 343 and 3412. We have very exciting and dangerous forwards but no out-and-out wingers, we should get a proper RB/RWB and then play to our strength and fully unleash our attack.

Bruce Wayne

This might work for parts of the game but not entire game.

Unrelated, but similar setup is working for Toronto FC with Giovinco and Altidore.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
We should let him roam around more to let him exploit the wings and drag defenders out of place but don't think that means he should be a winger

Nikelesh Reddy

Why would him playing more on the right mean he'd score less goals? Salah doesn't have a problem..
Because Salahs been playing as a winger/attacking midfielder throughout his life.Salah has the agility,the guile,the vision and the spatial awareness to occupy those positions because he's played there right from the beginning of his career.Lukakus always played as a 9,apart from a very brief spell at Everton where he had to play a few games on the RW.

Salah and Lukaku are completely different types of players,it's pointless to even compare them...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's not gonna work to move him permanently there because then his defenciencies on the ball would be more apparent. It's one thing to do it full time and another to appear a few time on the wing during games.

LoneStar

We have players like Martial, Rashford, Sanchez and Lukaku who can always interchange during games. All of them can play as a striker no problem.

We did see a bit of this against Chelsea. As long as we don't hoof the ball blindly, all these players interchanging constantly would be very effective. They are bound to come in each others way at the beginning, but with time it could become a great strength.

All this goes down the drain if we play hoofball though.

Brightonian

Mourinho actually hinted more than once that that formation was used when Martial was on the pitch against Chelsea, specifically mentioning Sanchez at the top of the diamond.
Imo that formation would fit out personnel very well provided we have an offensively competent RB as @Pass and Move hilariously put it, as well as 343 and 3412. We have very exciting and dangerous forwards but no out-and-out wingers, we should get a proper RB/RWB and then play to our strength and fully unleash our attack.
Until then there doesn't seem to be any reason why we can't do it with Young and Valencia. I suspect there's probably a reason so few people play the diamond these days but on paper it does seem to suit every player perfectly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Interchanging front 3 would suit all of forwards in my opinion. Get to see Martial and Sanchez coming in centrally at times and Lukaku can drift out wide right where he can be very effective.

I think Lukaku is playing fantastic at the moment, already progressed at the club imo.

OldTrevil

Until then there doesn't seem to be any reason why we can't do it with Young and Valencia. I suspect there's probably a reason so few people play the diamond these days but on paper it does seem to suit every player perfectly.
Shaw and Valencia for now could do. The system needs very good fullbacks to give width when the opponent tries to crash the middle, and other than Shaw giving hope in his progression again, we don't have such fullbacks

Georgan

Let's not have this conversation. Please, let's leave behind our traditional "playing players out of position" once we get rid of Young and Valencia in the following seasons. Enough is enough.

Sylar

Interchanging front 3 would suit all of forwards in my opinion. Get to see Martial and Sanchez coming in centrally at times and Lukaku can drift out wide right where he can be very effective.

I think Lukaku is playing fantastic at the moment, already progressed at the club imo.
Agree with this. Id like to see the front three move all over the place as it keeps them free and confuses the feck out of defenders.

stepic

He is a great passer. If he floats out wide and other players come centrally (ie martial/Sanchez) then all the better. Fluidity is important, not regimented formations.

luke511

Our improved performance in the last third of the game vs Newcastle coincided with Lukaku drifting out to the right, he looked twice the player and we were a lot more fluid in attack. I think him playing there is a great short term fix. if Arsenal can afford to play Aubameyang out wide, why can't we do the same with Lukaku?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Our improved performance in the last third of the game vs Newcastle coincided with Lukaku drifting out to the right, he looked twice the player and we were a lot more fluid in attack. I think him playing there is a great short term fix. if Arsenal can afford to play Aubameyang out wide, why can't we do the same with Lukaku?
Dangerous route you're taking there mate.

LoneStar

We were a lot more fluid in attack because we bypassed him completely, not because he was playing well on the right.

But yes, if he has to play, move him there. At least that will stop him from ruining all our attacks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He would be a bit more useful on the right, partially because he will be out of the way. That said, a different skill set is required out there. He won’t always have space to run into, and he cannot dribble or link consistently enough when pressed.

el3mel

Definitely not a permanent right winger, but he can drift there from central position during the game and exchange positions with Sanchez to confuse the opponents from time to time.

luke511

He would be a bit more useful on the right, partially because he will be out of the way. That said, a different skill set is required out there. He won’t always have space to run into, and he cannot dribble or link consistently enough when pressed.
He consistently looks a better player out wide so I'm all for it.

Zoo

Definitely not a permanent right winger, but he can drift there from central position during the game and exchange positions with Sanchez to confuse the opponents from time to time.
This is what I’ve always wanted, we know Sanchez likes to go into the middle and Lukaku naturally drifts to the right. That leaves Martial and Rashford to compete for the left-sided spot.