Lukaku to Chelsea? €100m bid + player rejected

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

Inter reportedly are waiting for a new bid closer to the €120m range; offer of €100+Alonso was turned away.

Chelsea were close to securing him a few years ago before United hijacked the move. Lukaku has said in the past that Chelsea are his favourite club and has hinted at wanting to go back.

(…I really don’t care if it means Chelsea pay big for Lukaku now, City do as well /Kane?, leaving Haaland with little to no competition other than United next summer…)

CG1010

Clearly Chelsea are burning with 100+ million in their pockets and would love it if they spunk it on Lukaku. He is good but he won't take Chelsea to the next level. And like others said, reduces our competition for Haaland.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bit harsh to consider Lukaku as untouchable. India had that issue some years ago, thought that was abolished.

White text Incase needed.

El-Manos

I’d prefer them to get lukaku over haaland but people here are making him sound like he’s bendtner. He will undoubtedly do well there.

Posh Red

I’ve heard some journalists in the UK say Lukaku isn’t keen on the move which doesn’t make sense considering Chelsea are putting huge bids in surely?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Clearly Chelsea are burning with 100+ million in their pockets and would love it if they spunk it on Lukaku. He is good but he won't take Chelsea to the next level. And like others said, reduces our competition for Haaland.
Considering they're European Champions, what is the next level ?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I’ve heard some journalists in the UK say Lukaku isn’t keen on the move which doesn’t make sense considering Chelsea are putting huge bids in surely?
Lukaku knows the scrutiny he faces in England, he knows he's well protected in Italy. Easy life staying at Inter

MDFC Manager

Hope it happens so I can watch him fail at a big club again. You love to see it.

RedDevil@84

Lukaku will be a fool to come back to England. He will face the same problems as before.

charlenefan

Hope it happens so I can watch him fail at a big club again. You love to see it.
He'll score goals against the fodder though as that's his bread and butter and it's against those sides Chelsea struggled to beat last season

I said it in the Chelsea thread but I think he turns them into title challengers even if he's far from elite

AaronRedDevil

Why don't Chelsea buy Martinez at inter? Isn't he supposed to be at least an upgrade from Werner

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans happy with this pursuit ?
Yes I am happy with Lukaku in one scenario that is Tuchel wants Lukaku rather than board signing.

One big advantage for Lukaku and chelsea is he already played at inter three at the back system with supportive strikers and attacking wing backs.

Tallis

I really hope they buy him. And I say that as someone who actually rates Lukaku. Better Lukaku than Haaland. Varane will stop him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would be a great move for Chelsea. The biggest hole in their team and Lukaku is a very very good player.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
What a totally underwhelming signing he would be for that kind of money. I mean he scores goals but his overall game, very "meh"

CG1010

He'll score goals against the fodder though as that's his bread and butter and it's against those sides Chelsea struggled to beat last season

I said it in the Chelsea thread but I think he turns them into title challengers even if he's far from elite
I am not too sure to be honest. Yes he scores loads of goals against the fodder but at the same time he isn't as technically gifted and can affect the flow of play of the team somewhat. Not saying he is a bad footballer but making a relative comparison amongst the "top" strikers of the world. So he also takes away something from the team. We have seem him at United for a long time and even though that was often in a dysfunctional team, still he wasn't the standout player for us, even ignoring the big games.

charlenefan

I am not too sure to be honest. Yes he scores loads of goals against the fodder but at the same time he isn't as technically gifted and can affect the flow of play of the team somewhat. Not saying he is a bad footballer but making a relative comparison amongst the "top" strikers of the world. So he also takes away something from the team. We have seem him at United for a long time and even though that was often in a dysfunctional team, still he wasn't the standout player for us, even ignoring the big games.
Hopefully you're right

CM

Lukaku would address a goalscoring need in their team and that would undoubtedly make them stronger.

Having said that, I would rather them make this signing than Haaland (although I don't think that one's possible this summer). As far as marquee signings go, Lukaku is at the lower end of that scale and not one I'd consider being much more than a flat track bully.

lsd

The Oracle

He always wanted to play in Italy and send to love life in Milan. I wouldn't swap Milan for London

Tallis

I like the way Chelsea included Alonso in that deal. To the casual observer, it would appear pointless. But then you realize that Inter have the hots for washed up full backs from the premier league who no one else would take. Quite a master stroke by Chelsea

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
There is so much chatter about this right now. I think from being on a couple Chelsea forums, most fans are fearful Lukaku has not grown and only looks this good in a weaker league. I am optimistic he will be good for the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As I'm sure would be the consensus opinion here, from our POV it's better that any of our rivals get Lukaku rather than Haaland.

That said, in isolation he'd be a good signing for Chelsea. Sounds like he'd cost quite a lot though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
God I hope this goes through. Would love to see him fail once again at the top level and all his ‘supporters’ look like mugs again.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
There is so much chatter about this right now. I think from being on a couple Chelsea forums, most fans are fearful Lukaku has not grown and only looks this good in a weaker league. I am optimistic he will be good for the team.
Don't get your hopes up pal.

I think most fans are probably right and he's just not cut out for the top level.

I really hope you sign him to be honest.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
He always wanted to play in Italy and send to love life in Milan. I wouldn't swap Milan for London
London is a far better city than Milan, by a long way. Imo of course, and I live in North Manchester.

Always found Milan a bit of a disappointment compared to other Italian cities.

RyRoc

I rate Lukaku highly but this is the wrong move from Chelsea imo if this happens. I’d stick with what they have and go all out for Haaland next season. If they don’t get him then they can try and pursue a younger target like Isak for example knowing that the team who did get Haaland are now out of that race.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Any journalist running with that narrative should be filed in the “never listen to this idiot” category.

Chief123

I’d be over the moon if Lukaku is the player that Chelsea settle for. That will most certainly rule them out for Haaland.

Honestly, having watched Lukaku at closehand for Utd and partially for Inter, I just can’t see him as a world class striker. He does a couple of things very well but is comical in other aspects of his game which can harm the team and style of play.

Really do hope Chelsea push for him.

RedDevilPure

If he moves to Chelsea, surely he will go down in football transfer history as being one of the most, if not the most expensive footballers, that will be like 3 consecutive big money transfers. Lukaka's Euro performance probably did him well, I still don't think he is worth that much but it's about supply and demand and with a dearth of world-class strikers, you can see why Chelsea is desperate because their only main striker Werner is not performing. Inter should just accept the bid. They aren't going to win the Scudetto anyway now that Conte has left and Allegrini is back at Juventus.

Chief123

Considering they're European Champions, what is the next level ?
That is such a lazy point to suggest Chelsea are at the very top because they are European champions. Yes they did well to win it, but by no means does it make them THE best team in Europe.

It’s like suggesting Leicester were the top of the elite clubs in England because they won the league and any player that went to them would be making a step up.

Don’t forget Chelsea nearly shit the bed on the last day and could have ended up 5th if it wasn’t for favours from another team.

Ole90+3

Why are United fans doubtful of Lukaku's ability? We literally saw him in a red shirt for 2 years. We know exactly what he is (and isn't capable of). Hope Chelsea succeed in their pursuit. Doesn't add anything that I'd be worried about other than guaranteed goals against fodder.

Chief123

Honestly, Lukaku is one of those players who looks much better to fans of other teams looking in. Stats look great, and looks an animal on highlights.

But when you see him for every minute of every match for your own team, you will pull your hair out wondering why you paid £100m for him. I thought we got ripped off for the price we paid and was delighted when inter were willing to pay that much!