Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
When nobody else is providing those 12 goals, yes, they will missed.

Rashy is gonna destroy you this season mate, mentally.
If we are going to worry about replacing a whopping 12 goals, then we might as all go home. Of Lukuku goods it either mins a lot more minutes to Rashford and Martial (some to Greenwood), or another striker comes in.

If we had someone other than Lukuku playing last season perhaps they would have scored against Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Watford, Liverpool, Everton or West Ham? There’s a pretty low bar to get over in replacing him, it’s not as if the guy can score 20-30 league goals

We once replaced RVN with Carrick - and that didn’t turn out too badly... (clearly the situations are very different, but it doesn’t have to be like-for-like).

Often when Lukuku was playing it was as if we were playing with 10 men - so him gone won’t be a big issue at all (in my opinion). But then we are just going to have to wait and see!

arthurka

We're not actively selling him. Same like how we're not actively selling Pogba.There's been interest and so we've set a price.
He is leaving, there isn´t a chance he could stay after all that´s been said and done. Even Solskjær hinted at it, we would replace him if he left. If he wasn´t leaving he would have said he wasn´t leaving.

Bestietom

That's assuming Rashford, Alexis and Mason will get enough goals. All the evidence suggests they probably wont.
Your right, We will need a prolific goalscorer if Lukaku goes. Rashford will not get you 25/30 goals a season and Alexis will be out more than he is in. I like Mason but you can't burden him with big responsibility this season.
Yedder is a fox in the box and is worth a shout.

Eric's Seagull

That's assuming Rashford, Alexis and Mason will get enough goals. All the evidence suggests they probably wont.
Think you are right on the point in bold mate as Alexis only scored 1 league goal season. Expecting a big step up from Rashford but think it would be unfair to expect big things from Mason this season. Although he may well surprise me.

Bestietom

If we are going to worry about replacing a whopping 12 goals, then we might as all go home. Of Lukuku goods it either mins a lot more minutes to Rashford and Martial (some to Greenwood), or another striker comes in.

If we had someone other than Lukuku playing last season perhaps they would have scored against Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Watford, Liverpool, Everton or West Ham? There’s a pretty low bar to get over in replacing him, it’s not as if the guy can score 20-30 league goals

We once replaced RVN with Carrick - and that didn’t turn out too badly... (clearly the situations are very different, but it doesn’t have to be like-for-like).

Often when Lukuku was playing it was as if we were playing with 10 men - so him gone won’t be a big issue at all (in my opinion). But then we are just going to have to wait and see!
It's not replacing the 12 goals it's adding to the miserable 65 goals we scored in Premiership last season. We need a prolific CF to come in.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not replacing the 12 goals it's adding to the miserable 54 goals we scored in Premiership last season. We need a prolific CF to come in.
We don't need a prolific striker, we need a prolific attack and last season our main issue was the lack of production from the right on top of a general lack of creativity. A striker won't fix those issues and Rashford as a striker scored at comparable rhythm to Lukaku. If we sell Lukaku, Rashford should replace him and the money spent on fixing that right side.

arthurka

It's not replacing the 12 goals it's adding to the miserable 65 goals we scored in Premiership last season. We need a prolific CF to come in.
I would put money on the one striker who is going to replace him will score more than 12 goals this season.

Patrick08

If players put it on the plate for him hr will score, I expect more creative players and wingers like James to feed him those balls and he will score as a result.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We don't need a prolific striker, we need a prolific attack and last season our main issue was the lack of production from the right on top of a general lack of creativity. A striker won't fix those issues and Rashford as a striker scored at comparable rhythm to Lukaku. If we sell Lukaku, Rashford should replace him and the money spent on fixing that right side.
I agree with you but really, we do need a prolific striker as well as a more prolific attack. We should always want a proper ruthless goalscorer up front. Neither Rashford nor Martial can be relied upon to get us goals.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

That’s complete spin. We directly replaced Ruuds goals with Saha who was already at the club and our style of play instantly became more fluid too

I agree with you but really, we do need a prolific striker as well as a more prolific attack. We should always want a proper ruthless goalscorer up front. Neither Rashford nor Martial can be relied upon to get us goals.
Perhaps. But neither can Lukuku - who adds noting to the side when he doesn’t score.

JPRouve

Scout
For me that's a failed logic because every striker needs to be given an actual chance to get goals, they have both scored at a decent rate without being trusted week week out, what we actually lack is the same type of production from the right. If Martial and Rashford fail after being given that actual chance then we can say that they can't be relied on.

We need to be methodical and do things in the correct order, first create balance and then judge the players in that balanced attack. This applies to Lukaku too, if he didn't want to leave I wouldn't push him out because the right side is where we are lacking in terms of goals and creativity which is an handicap for everyone else.

Castia

Looks like he’s off.

Missed the first game and now ‘picked up a knock in training’...hard to believe given the speculation.

I don’t mind him going but we need to replace him.

izec

Wont be missed if we replace him with a half decent striker technically.

Hope Ben Yedder has trimmed down his belly

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
If he were to be sold then we have to either find a 25 goals guy or a decent goal-getter who's mobile and creates for others. Otherwise selling him is pointless as the team will hardly improve.

Volumiza

For me that's a failed logic because every striker needs to be given an actual chance to get goals, they have both scored at a decent rate without being trusted week week out, what we actually lack is the same type of production from the right. If Martial and Rashford fail after being given that actual chance then we can say that they can't be relied on.

We need to be methodical and do things in the correct order, first create balance and then judge the players in that balanced attack. This applies to Lukaku too, if he didn't want to leave I wouldn't push him out because the right side is where we are lacking in terms of goals and creativity which is an handicap for everyone else.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think its dangerous to go into the season relying on Rashford and Martial, who have not shown they can carry the teams attacking responsibility yet. using your logic, by the time we realise they aren't up to the job we will be halfway through the season before we can do anything about it.

So ... I absolutely agree with you but I also think we should be making sure we have at least one PROVEN goalscorer available. Rashford can drop back into his role on the right if need be.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm in agreement with you on this point.
If Lukaku is sold, then I really don't see United replacing like for like, I think its far more likely that we would reinvest the funds in a mobile Right sided attacker, more of a Sancho, Pepe type of player rather than a more traditional centre forward.

Surprisingly, United's attack wasn't as barren as some people seem to think.
Liverpool & City were a country mile ahead of everyone else but United were very comparable to everyone else in the top six.
Even Spurs with "prolific" Harry Kane only scored 2 more goals than United.

Chelsea....63
Spurs.......67
Arsenal.....73
United......65

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I understand the logic of playing hardball given Lukaku's good track record and length of contract, but Italian clubs are not exactly awash with money.

I think we will end up getting rid for a decent up front fee and some easily achievable add ons.

If we are talking about being ruthless in our squad reshaping then people like Lukaku should be out the door because he is not top class.

MalcolmTucker

Was never a United player. Regularly stymied attacks and he just isn't someone who can play in a fluid system.

We don't need to replace his goals - people were wondering where the goals were going to come from for Liverpool's front 3 and now they're considered the best front 3 in the world. We sold RVN and replaced him with Saha and our fluidity vastly improved.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think its dangerous to go into the season relying on Rashford and Martial, who have not shown they can carry the teams attacking responsibility yet. using your logic, by the time we realise they aren't up to the job we will be halfway through the season before we can do anything about it.

So ... I absolutely agree with you but I also think we should be making sure we have at least one PROVEN goalscorer available. Rashford can drop back into his role on the right if need be.
Yeah but we know that we are wank on the right, your point would make sense if we didn't knew that. And instead of addressing a massive and known issue, you somehow think that it's a good idea to focus on an issue that could maybe exist. Surely you see the point that I making?

And we also know that Rashford is bad on the right.

Volumiza

Yeah but we know that we are wank on the right, your point would make sense if we didn't knew that. And instead of addressing a massive and known issue, you somehow think that it's a good idea to focus on an issue that could maybe exist. Surely you see the point that I making?

And we also know that Rashford is bad on the right.
Again, I'm not disagreeing but we've not been linked with anyone for the right, unless we're expecting James to plug the gap. My view for Rashford is the same as my view for Martial and Lingard in some respects. I know loads on here will pelt me with rotten fruit but I don't think any of them are good enough to take us up the table as first team regulars.

So, to adjust my view to accommodate yours - We need a prolific goalscorer AND a decent right sided attacker. I'd start James on the left over Martial.

JPRouve

Scout
Again, I'm not disagreeing but we've not been linked with anyone for the right, unless we're expecting James to plug the gap. My view for Rashford is the same as my view for Martial and Lingard in some respects. I know loads on here will pelt me with rotten fruit but I don't think any of them are good enough to take us up the table as first team regulars.

So, to adjust my view to accommodate yours - We need a prolific goalscorer AND a decent right sided attacker. I'd start James on the left over Martial.
I see. You basically think that everything not playing for United is better.

Volumiza

I see. You basically think that everything not playing for United is better.
Where in my post did I say that? I'm not convinced by Martial at all and would be happy to see James start the season on the left. I'm not convinced that Rashford can lead the line on his own without a proven goalscorer as backup if it isn't working, I think it will be too early to expect greenwood to take that much responsibility. it would be nice if Sanchez could suddenly 'wake up' and contribute but I'm not convinced he can.

If we bring in Maguire, I'll be totally happy with our defence. If we can keep Pogba and bring in Fernandes I'll be happy with our midfield. I'm just not convinced we have the firepower to score lots of goalsand if we are losing Lukaku (which I kind of hope we don't) I think we should replace him with someone who can get us some goals.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Perhaps. But neither can Lukuku - who adds noting to the side when he doesn’t score.
I don't think that's entirely true. He played well under Jose in his first season despite scoring one league goal between 30th Sept and 13th Dec, leading the line selflessly and moving out to the right at times to get involved. Last season was worse from him and I accept the point that if we're moving towards faster, more fluid forward play under Ole that won't suit him.

A clinical out-and-out goalscorer would be great but I don't know where we're going to summon one up from at this stage. Trusting Rashford/Martial/Greenwood to lead the line isn't ideal, but I'd rather have other issues such as our midfield and right-hand side (hopefully AWB and James are steps forward there) sorted rather than looking to replace Rom like for like.

Axle17

I'd say he's off to Inter. He looks like he's already checked out. Probably will be announced once the Inter game has passed due to contractual/marketing obligations with the Tour, but until then he needs to present as if he's still a United player.
So long

Clearly it’s only pre-season - but today we had Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all scoring. Lukukwho? We won’t miss those paltry 12 goals.

roseguy64

He is leaving, there isn´t a chance he could stay after all that´s been said and done. Even Solskjær hinted at it, we would replace him if he left. If he wasn´t leaving he would have said he wasn´t leaving.
You're arguing something I'm not.

El Zoido

Ole said we’ll replace him if he leaves, yet we’ve not been linked with any forwards as far as I know. But it really does seem as though he’s leaving. What’s going on?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ole said we’ll replace him if he leaves, yet we’ve not been linked with any forwards as far as I know. But it really does seem as though he’s leaving. What’s going on?
Ben Yedder
Moussa Dembele

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Prediction: we sell Lukaku and sign Welbeck on a free as a cheap backup option

Roboc7

He wants to leave, he hasn’t been prolific or even close since he joined, he can’t/won’t press and his hold up/link play isn’t t great. Selling him is a no brainier and will surely be done and dusted soon, better to do it now than have to sell for a lot less next summer.

Infestissumam

Hirst apparently says Inter will return with an offer of 60m + 15m in add-ons. If true, I think there'll be an agreement at some point ... but I just doubt they'd come up with a lot of money up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.