Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad1max954

We don't need a prolific striker, we need a prolific attack and last season our main issue was the lack of production from the right on top of a general lack of creativity. A striker won't fix those issues and Rashford as a striker scored at comparable rhythm to Lukaku. If we sell Lukaku, Rashford should replace him and the money spent on fixing that right side.
It’s about balance. We have no right side and we don’t have enough creativity coming from the midfield either. Effectively means we are dependent on pogba and martial, both of which can go missing or get blocked off. Sell lukaku. Being in Bruno and some on the right and we are a different proposition which in itself will mean we won’t have to defend all the time either as teams will be scared of us.

C'est Moi Cantona

Ole said we’ll replace him if he leaves, yet we’ve not been linked with any forwards as far as I know. But it really does seem as though he’s leaving. What’s going on?
Did Ole say buy or replace though? Because he could easily just step Greenwood up as the 'replacement' and claim he's done as he said.

Like you I'm concerned by the lack of any credible links to forwards, and it worries me more that we're holding off with Maguire for something, the Lukaku sale? He releases funds, then quick as flash Maguire and a midfielder in, and no new striker forgotten about in the razzmatazz, by some anyway.

IrishRedDevil

Hirst apparently says Inter will return with an offer of 60m + 15m in add-ons. If true, I think there'll be an agreement at some point ... but I just doubt they'd come up with a lot of money up front.
Depends how easy the add ons are to trigger.

If it’s for Inter winning the league or trophies, then it won’t be accepted, as it’s too much of an unknown.

If it’s for Lukaku scoring say 25 goals (same as the clause we had in Martials contract) then it’ll be accepted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone else puzzled why Lukaku is actively trying to get into one of the most technique driven leagues?
Surely that's his absolute weaknesses right there?

It can't just be down to their new tax system can it?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Did Ole say buy or replace though? Because he could easily just step Greenwood up as the 'replacement' and claim he's done as he said.

Like you I'm concerned by the lack of any credible links to forwards, and it worries me more that we're holding off with Maguire for something, the Lukaku sale? He releases funds, then quick as flash Maguire and a midfielder in, and no new striker forgotten about in the razzmatazz, by some anyway.
Manchester United's transfer strategy - are you the man who decides?

There won't be any players here I don't want. No. We are still looking at one or two options but it depends on outgoings. It might be more because if suddenly two or three go, then you have to replace players.

Thats from the BBC interview. It looks to me that we may see fewer tramfers than we all expected.

DoomSlayer

Anyone else puzzled why Lukaku is actively trying to get into one of the most technique driven leagues?

He's in love with Conte. Called him "the best manager in the world" during the international games after the season finished - the Italian wasn't even officially Inter manager yet, but since they apparently have the same agent now, Lukaku must have known it was happening anyway.

The new tax system definitely helps though, no doubt.

Saffron

He's in love with Conte. Called him "the best manager in the world" during the international games after the season finished - the Italian wasn't even officially Inter manager yet, but since they apparently have the same agent now, Lukaku must have known it was happening anyway.

Seems a bit weird to idolize Conte when he’s never even played for him. Pep or Klopp I could understand, but Conte? Why?

Irwin99

Depends how easy the add ons are to trigger.

If it’s for Inter winning the league or trophies, then it won’t be accepted, as it’s too much of an unknown.

If it’s for Lukaku scoring say 25 goals (same as the clause we had in Martials contract) then it’ll be accepted.
Was thinking that the other day, he's played for Everton, United, and now (probably) Inter who are competing against a team that wins Seria A every year and have picked up a lot of good players over the summer.

...he's probably not going to have a lot of league titles by the time he reaches 30. I'm not saying that sneeringly, it's just going to be hard to beat Juve to anything.

Fer

I know that most of the caf want Yedder to replace Lukaku. But, don't you think it would be better to use that money to sign a RW? (like Chiesa, Pepe, Malcom, Under, Lozano, etc)

MetoTTT

I know that most of the caf want Yedder to replace Lukaku. But, don't you think it would be better to use that money to sign a RW? (like Chiesa, Pepe, Malcom, Under, Lozano, etc)
I like Yedder but it seems he came back from holliday off form. Chiesa and Pepe could be very good options imo. Pepe could play as SS or striker too. But everybody seems to be sure we're waiting to get Sancho next summer as we'll be top 4 easily as "Arsenal and Chelsea are s**te".

Tarrou

If Rom leaves I'd rather spend the funds on a right winger than a striker

Seriously we've got about 7 players who prefer to play on the left and no fecker who is suited to the right, its ridiculous

arthurka

Seriously we've got about 7 players who prefer to play on the left and no fecker who is suited to the right, its ridiculous
True, it's crazy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If the 15m add-ons are easily achievable, I'd take it.

Rajma

If we aren’t buying right sided attacker to compensate then we’ll be total idiots even if Rom is not my cup of tea.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Lukaku doesn't need to be replaced. Get a proper RW and that'll balance our squad and attack out a lot. Hope Ole means that by "replacing outgoing players". Replacing a mediocre striker with another mediocre one like Ben Yedder who is 29 in couple of days would be stupid especially when we haven't signed a single RW in a decade.

Wheato

I don't understand selling Lukaku and then looking for a replacement to play second fiddle to Rashford, it seems like a completely unnecessary and risky sideways move at best.

I could understand it if there was an available and achievable target who would be seen as an improvement on Rashford but buying players who are not deemed better than your current starter (it's fine if your current starter is an Aguero or Kane) is the quickest path to ending up with a very mediocre squad very quickly (look at Wenger's latter years at Arsenal as the best example and players like Fred at United, Drinkwater at Chelsea)

Say Ben Yedder who has been linked. He will want a 5 year deal on something like £120,000 a week and Rashford will be the starter. All that means is if and when an elite forward becomes available United would be stuck with trying to offload Ben Yedder who won't be willing to take a cut in salary and that limits the options to move him on. Like Drinkwater, Chelsea actively tried to sell him last summer but nobody would match his wages and he was happy to sit out a year basically rather than take a paycut (fully entitled to do so)

So basically, a club looking to improve should only ever sign three categories of players :

1. Young players with plenty of room for development (in ability and value)
2. Established players who are going to be a backup to your elite starter
3. A player that is better than your current starter

I've not seen a single touted Lukaku replacement that fits any of those categories so in my eyes it makes zero sense to sell (even more so considering in my opinion any belief that Solskjaer has a playing identity or style is fanciful at best so to sell a reliable goal scorer, more reliable than Rashford, because he doesn't fit said mythical identity or style makes even less sense)
1 - He doesn't want to be here. He made that clear after OGS told him that he was the second choice striker. This has been widely reported.
2 - We absolutely have a playing style under OGS. This is a high press and rapid counter attacking. Lukaku does neither of these things. His first touch is atrocious. He slows the play down. And he doesn't make many chances for himself, he has to be clean through.
3 - We don't need to replace him. We have Martial, Greenwood and Sanchez who can all play as the second striker if Rashford is injured. They can all play the high press. And Bruno can also play as a number 10, unlike Lukaku. And he scores lots of goals.
4 - There are 75 million reasons for us to sell him now.

settembrini

Yes, obviously.

In our entire squad (which is over 30 players at the moment) the only player who might consider right wing his main position is Chong! Literally everyone else would rather play in a different position. That's a farcical situation for a club of our resources to be in.

He’s not in love with Conte, and I fully expect he will need to take a pay cut to leave.

He knows he’s not good enough for Utd, and he’s going to be a squad player. OGS knows that he’s not good enough and by all accounts has told him he won’t start. Ergo - Lukuku is flattering his eyelids at Inter as it’s literally his only option to play, it’s a PR tactic, he sure as hell won’t be a starter at Utd, and no other club will touch him - goodness knows what Inter see in him, but thank god.

DoomSlayer

He’s not in love with Conte, and I fully expect he will need to take a pay cut to leave.

He knows he’s not good enough for Utd, and he’s going to be a squad player. OGS knows that he’s not good enough and by all accounts has told him he won’t start. Ergo - Lukuku is flattering his eyelids at Inter as it’s literally his only option to play, it’s a PR tactic, he sure as hell won’t be a starter at Utd, and no other club will touch him - goodness knows what Inter see in him, but thank god.
Like I said, those comments by Lukaku were made way before Conte was confirmed as Inter's manager so the Belgian must be pretty infatuated with the guy.

I think what the worst part with Lukaku's situation is not that he isn't good enough, but that he isn't even trying to be or trying to adapt his game, evolve in a sense. Talk about being "a student of the game". :houllier:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Take the money. If he plays the way he's been playing, we'd lose that money on his valuation in January.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He is not taking pay cut to leave, he is getting shit loads of money to sign for them. Pay cut thing was reported by Italian media who assumed Lukaku's 200K wages was net.

ravi2

I agree, we haven't had a proper RW in far too long.

SATA

How about Hirving Lozano. Can play on both wings. Dream of coming here and is available for the bargain price of €40m.
Would love him. Some say he's not good enough though but i can see him really becoming a fan's favourite here because of his bravery and commitment. But i think we have already signed Daniel James for that. Ole has said he can play across all positions in the front three

Eric's Seagull

Would love him. Some say he's not good enough though but i can see him really becoming a fan's favourite here because of his bravery and commitment. But i think we have already signed Daniel James for that. Ole has said he can play across all positions in the front three
Fair point and I don't think he is coming but thought I would mention him. Could be useful for injuries/squad rotation. If Rashford is out Jame souls go on the left, Lozano on th right and Martial up top for example mate.

Marcus

Maybe he fears the unknown impact of Brexit on the Premier League.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He doesn't want to only be a squad option so he wants to leave here, and Inter seem to be the only large club who are are in for him. Plus he probably feels Conte will play a style suited for him. Pretty sure it just comes down to that.

If not for Inter he'd probably have to drop back down to Everton level.

Eric's Seagull

He doesn't want to only be a squad option so he wants to leave here, and Inter seem to be the only large club who are are in for him. Plus he probably feels Conte will play a style suited for him. Pretty sure it just comes down to that.

If not for Inter he'd probably have to drop back down to Everton level.
Agree with you point, as I've had this conversation with my friend. I could not see why he would want to stay here on the bench at this stage of his career unless he is just a money grabber, which I don't think so hence his desire to move.

Patrick08

You can bet chisea will be quoted 120m.

Status
Not open for further replies.