Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If Lulaku is "simply not good enough" the same could equally be applied Martial , Lingard and Rashford , especially the last two. Martial is good enough , he just simply could not be bothered .
You can accuse Martial of a lot of things, but other than LVG, no other manager at United has played him in that position. Even when Lukaku and Rash keep missing chances, Ole didn't even consider to try Martial there. He has some big faults, but show him some faith and confidence and try him in that role. He has good technique and is mostly a composed finisher. Since he's never been put in that position though, I don't think he can be criticised in this instance.

Anything he's lacking, it's up to the coaches to help him with that imho.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I like the idea of robbing Inter. We should do it. They get a donkey and we replace him with a cone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Very strange comment given that he struggles to win aerial challenges and his poor first touch means he can't hold the ball up.

He is one of the 5 worst forwards in the league in terms of workrate.

PL stats for goals scored and also "big chances missed". This season he's missed 25% more big chances than he's scored (unless your barometer is Rashford whose biggest weakness is his finishing).

Lukaku - missed 15 big chances / scored 12
Rashford - missed 16 big chances / scored 10
Mane - missed 11 big chances / scored 22
Salah - missed 16 big chances / scored 22
Vardy - missed 17 big chances / scored 18
Kane - missed 11 big chances / scored 17
Aubameyang - missed 23 big chances / scored 22
Aguero - missed 10 big chances / scored 17
Lacazette - missed 13 big chances / scored 13
Firmino - missed 9 big chances / scored 12
Josh King - missed 10 big chances / scored 11
Ashley Barnes - missed 13 big chances / scored 12
Jimenez - missed 10 big chances / scored 13

Lukaku's skillset for Everton was using his power and pace to counter-attack - he was never a typical target man. That's exactly the system that Ole and Mourinho have been playing. The problem is that due to his excessive weight gain he's lost the majority of his pace/stamina and has therefore significantly reduced the runs he makes (proven by his sprint stats). He's also lost that yard of pace that meant he could arrive in the 6 yard box often for a tap in. Numerous times we've seen the ball flash across the box where the Lukaku of old would have a simple chance - nowadays he's on the edge of the box blowing and pointing at his feet.

The perfect combination for the Lukaku of Everton would be a central midfielder with an eye for a pass who could find him 50-60 yards from goal and allow his power and pace to bulldoze his way into the box and slide it in 1v1. The absolute perfect player for that role is Pogba... The problem is nowadays Lukaku isn't fit enough to run these 60 yards more than once per half and even then it renders him completely out of action for the next 5-10 minutes.
I am not defending Lukaku in any way. Actually I think he should leave. I also think that United fitness people should be fired. Lukaku looks like a body builder, Shaw look obese, our fitness levels borders to the ridiculous etc. Anyway that's beside the point.

My point is that we've got a team that simply doesn't make tactical sense. We've got a target man but no good crossers of the ball + we don't play with a no 10 that can exploit his physicality. If you ask me, our main problem is the fact that we keep bringing in managers who want to impose their vision. That makes sense in a team capable of bringing in a huge number of players in, in one summer. We're not the kind of club. The script is always the same. We bring in a manager, he adds some players, he is fired before he brings his vision to completion and we start from scratch. Instead we should bring in a manager who can adapt his system to the players he have. Take SAF as an example. The same SAF who won the treble with a star studded side could adapt to a team largely made up of old players and donkeys.

Celoti23-81

If we get Lukaku back even close to his weight at Everton, he would be 10 fold better than he is now!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sell him for 50-60 million. Use those funds for AWB.

Buy wan bissaka = One position problem solved.
Yeah sell a striker and replace with a right back. So that would be one solved and one unsolved and back to square one. Amazing logic.

Don't think our ability to sign a right back rests on selling our best finisher even if he's fat.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah sell a striker and replace with a right back. So that would be one solved and one unsolved and back to square one. Amazing logic.

Don't think our ability to sign a right back rests on selling our best finisher even if he's fat.

You need to build the defence then focus on attack. Can’t stand to see young in this team anymore.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Could you imagine if we sold a 75m striker for a big cut down, and used the money on a Palace right back.

Oh my word :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me he is our best striker and should play as first choice no9. Not as right winger and not as second striker. And certainly not as substitute for Rashford.
But having said that, i think that we need much better striker than him so if we can buy better first choice striker then we should sell him.

starman

He's also being linked to PSG. Might actually get all the money back if they are interested.
Would also take Cavani if hes offered in a cash exchange deal

Varun

Staff
He's not good enough. Unfortunately, neither are the rest and I think Ole will go with Rashford as the no 9 for the season which won't end well

el3mel

Swapping him with Icardi plus money might be the best option for both teams.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Its quite hard to get good strikers. Even if we are buying a new guy, hope we keep Lukaku for an year or so. It would be suicidal to sell him with no plan in place.

Sanche7

We should go all in for Jovic is Lukaku leaves. Won't by easy especially with Madrid interested, but offer him the #9 shirt and a starting spot, I can't see him saying no. But it's really sad that we have not even been linked. For 50 mill Euros, he's a steal

I really hope Ole is not planning on going into next season with just Rashford as striker option. A big complaint I have of Ole is his undying loyalty to some players despite them being absolutely shite. Rash and Ashley are prime examples. Add to that Ole's comments that Rash can be as good as Kane pretty soon, it sure looks like Rashford is going to lead our line next season. God help us

The White Pele

I think anything £50m and above becomes a no brainer, regardless of what direct replacements are or aren’t available. He hasn’t set the world alight and is considered second choice to Rashford.

We have to address the defence and midfield and there is a lot of work to do in those areas. If we fix the foundations of this team but had to go through next season relying on Rashford, Martial and the youth in attack I could honestly live with it.

Dream scenario would be we sort the basics and also manage to add a Jovic type but we will need to be shrewd.

Al-T

If Lukaku looked less like a Prop Forward and more like a Centre Forward, he might be more effective. If he goes, we definitely need a replacement. If Ole thinks Rashford will be leading the line next season, heaven help us.

Anyhow, I imagine a pre season with a strong focus on fitness awaits those players not deemed surplus to requirements.

redmanc

Pack him up and sell him the feck on, he's been absolute garbage this season and for a variety of reasons too. His first touch is that bad his next touch is usually a tackle, his fitness and physique is definitely not of the pacey forward which we need to be making those all important runs, his positioning is not great and he really doesnt seem to link up to well with the midfield or wing play, so i'm not sure what benefits we get by keeping him.

Edit; forgot to mention how shite his finishing is at times too, that in its self cost us a number of points this season.

nyanza

Should just follow Chelsea's example with Morata and get rid. No point in persisting, even at his best he's just not a good fit here. If Inter are willing to pay anything close to the rumored 60m or include him in some kind of a deal for Skriniar, just go for it.

T_Model101

Anything over £45M will probably represent a profit on the accounts taking amortization into account
Football leaks stated that we were due to pay Everton £10M if he scored over 23 goals a season, for 4 sessions in a row. So we won't be due to pay that now if he stays the whole term anyhow. The only plus :lol:

Steven-UK

Inter is linked for 50- 60 m.

While its a fair price, I think we should keep him. Not much options there who can replace his goals.
What goals are those then? The guy is useless currently, and a youth team player would easily replace his small amount of goals, whilst at the same time vastly increasing control of the ball, and hold up play.

Get rid. Playing Lukaku is like playing with 10 men.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What goals are those then? The guy is useless currently, and a youth team player would easily replace his small amount of goals, whilst at the same time vastly increasing control of the ball, and hold up play.

Get rid. Playing Lukaku is like playing with 10 men.
you don't play him, you will not get goals . Simple.

The Nani

Amazes me that some are still willing to defend him.

The bloke is literally fat, can’t run, won’t run, is generally crap at football and thinks he’s the dog’s bollocks.

Get rid. Never wanna see him in our shirt again.

SAFMUTD

If we had a couple of wide players who could cross the ball with some accuracy, Rom would flourish. As it is, we attack mostly down the left flank, which reduces his effectiveness. But my problem with Rom is that he is often found outside the six-yard box. I've lost count of the times the ball has been played in their and there's been nobody to attack it. It's frustrating and it's maybe down to coaching.
I’ve seen the same, we start a counterattack and instead of running into the box he runs into the right flank. I think it must be due to coaching instructions , but still I think we need a complete forward that can retain the ball and distribute it.

As strange as it sounds, since Lukaku is a big strong player, he is really poor in the aerial game and retaining the ball. In order for him to score more we would need the full attack concentrated on giving him services. Like I said, too good for the bench but not good enough to start.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The perfect combination for the Lukaku of Everton would be a central midfielder with an eye for a pass who could find him 50-60 yards from goal and allow his power and pace to bulldoze his way into the box and slide it in 1v1. The absolute perfect player for that role is Pogba... The problem is nowadays Lukaku isn't fit enough to run these 60 yards more than once per half and even then it renders him completely out of action for the next 5-10 minutes.
:lol:

Kostov

Replace his goals? Pogba outscored him this season and Rashford scored only 2 less.

He's had a shit season and is constantly flirting with other clubs/leagues.

Get his fat arse out of here. Him leaving would not hurt us in any way.
If Rashy scored 2 less and Lukaku was shit, where does that put Rashford?

Red00012

If Lulaku is "simply not good enough" the same could equally be applied Martial , Lingard and Rashford , especially the last two. Martial is good enough , he just simply could not be bothered .
This is a Lukaku thread , not saying the rest are decent but we can’t get rid of everyone. I’d keep Rashford and Martial , not bothered bout lingard

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If we get a decent fee, we should take and run. Hopefully we don't ask to involve Icardi in any deal. Just take 50-60 million and look for better strikers who are more involved in the game.

haram

why did Jose wanted LKK in the 1st place ? because he is big and strong like drogba ?
I dont know, might have something to do with the fact that he scored 25 league goals the season before we signed him. More than any player this season.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I dont know, might have something to do with the fact that he scored 24 league goals the season before we signed him. More than any player this season.
Was very clear he wasn't going to fit the way we play though, was also very clear he wasn't a target man

haram

Was very clear he wasn't going to fit the way we play though, was also very clear he wasn't a target man
It’s clear that we lack in creativity, width, delivery, build up and transitions. I wonder how this might affect a number 9.

Our home record last season was great and actually Lukaku gets no credit for his work in that season. People are too busy criticising to realise.

Cassidy

It’s clear that we lack in creativity, width, delivery, build up and transitions. I wonder how this might affect a number 9.

Our home record last season was great and actually Lukaku gets no credit for his work in that season. People are too busy criticising to realise.
You're too busy being defensive, I wasn't even criticising him.

It was clear he wasn't a target man and thats how Jose tried to use him. The rest of the issues with the squad yes I agree with, but it was clear that how Jose used him was never going to really work, especially away from home.

If that was the intention to play a target man then he was the wrong choice

haram

You're too busy being defensive, I wasn't even criticising him.
It was clear he wasn't a target man and thats how Jose tried to use him. The rest of the issues with the squad yes I agree with, but it was clear that how Jose used him was never going to really work, especially away from home.
It was a general point about Lukaku and this team.

Away from home we had bigger issues in build up. Which is why moves continuously broke down across the entire pitch, not just with Lukaku. Lukaku is capable of hitting the channels, he is capable of being part of sweeping counter moves. That’s what we needed to work on away from home. We also needed to sign players to help this. At Old Trafford where we had most of the ball we were actually ok. Again though, people were too busy criticising to realise this.

redpatron

why did Jose wanted LKK in the 1st place ? because he is big and strong like drogba ?
Probably he likes big target men even though he wasn’t. It was either morata or Lukaku. Hindsight is 20/20 but we should of been in it for lacazette or pem. They would fit it more in line with ole’s tactics of course none of those guys were Jose type strikers.

tomaldinho1

Amazes me that some are still willing to defend him.

The bloke is literally fat, can’t run, won’t run, is generally crap at football and thinks he’s the dog’s bollocks.

Get rid. Never wanna see him in our shirt again.
It's amazing right, I'm a bit worried about how our attitudes are changing given a period without winning major trophies.

Lukaku is not good enough, he can't even stay in shape for goodness sakes. Weight aside, he is about as untechnical and immobile a forward as you'll see and I honestly think if we played Deeney or LLorente, or similar, up top they'd have a similar goal output. Probably more because they actually win headers and are aggressive players - whereas Lukaku seems so chilled, never see any passion or fight in him and the few times he chases the ball he then takes about 5mins of huffing and puffing to recover.

Cassidy

It was a general point about Lukaku and this team.

Away from home we had bigger issues in build up. Which is why moves continuously broke down across the entire pitch, not just with Lukaku. Lukaku is capable of hitting the channels, he is capable of being part of sweeping counter moves. That’s what we needed to work on away from home. We also needed to sign players to help this. At Old Trafford where we had most of the ball we were actually ok. Again though, people were too busy criticising to realise this.
For the first half of the season only.
Anyway its clear you are too overly defensive to hear any criticism of the signing.

I actually like Lukaku and think he is a decent player, not quite the level we need (to win a title or UCL) but he isn't the biggest issue (especially since we are nowhere near competing for those trophies).

haram

For the first half of the season only.
Anyway its clear you are too overly defensive to hear any criticism of the signing.

I actually like Lukaku and think he is a decent player, not quite the level we need (to win a title or UCL) but he isn't the biggest issue (especially since we are nowhere near competing for those trophies).
We amassed 47 points at home last season. Liverpool in comparison picked up 53 points this season. We also had that stupid West Brom loss after the City win. That is an impressive record whichever way you slice it.

I am not overly defensive. There are just narratives people in general will eat up way too easily because it’s the easy thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.