Lukaku: We have been working on quick passing in last couple of weeks

George Beast

Amounts of players in the box or near the box are so unreal, I haven't seen like that in while, swap Martial for Lingard if Martial can improve off the movement so we could use Salah's role for Martial on the right wing with Dalot's overlapping and make himself available for a pass on the right flank while Martial going inside the box, Martial by is better finishers than all of our attacking.
That's a massive "if" that, considering Martial's movement is almost nonexistent and the worst of all our forwards whereas Lindard's is arguably the best and definitely better than Martial's. At this point Martial would simply be a hinderance to what we're trying to achieve if anything

arnie_ni

That's a massive "if" that, considering Martial's movement is almost nonexistent and the worst of all our forwards whereas Lindard's is arguably the best and definitely better than Martial's. At this point Martial would simply be a hinderance to what we're trying to achieve if anything
Id wager Jesse is instrumental to it tbh. Its his game. Its not martials

nainaisson

Martial seems to be this season's Memphis Depay, in that he's either unwilling or unable to adapt his style of play for the current needs of the team. In fairness to him, he'd have still been essential for our attack if Sanchez hadn't joined and pushed him out of his preferred position and apparently affected his confidence.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Isn’t it obvious? It goes without saying that we will have been working on moving the ball quickly as it is fundamental to attacking.
Except it’s obvious that Lukaku is trying to emphasise they’ve been working more on moving the ball quickly - in contrast to the dire, slow attacking play we’ve seen for the past year.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Great post. Very astute to pick up on the link with Carricks positioning...I can't recall that level of detail from those years just a vague sense of 'great football' . But definitely must be rubbing off. We saw it with Pereira even who outwardly praised Carricks influence on his game. Hope Paul continues to learn from him.

I feel like this messaging is for the fans. Most of the posts in this thread are positive and hopeful of continued improvement. Hearing it's a genuine shift in tactics and seeing it in games is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm glad they came out and said it!

There's a nice caption above from Jose about this that you should reread. Basically Jose wanted to change our style over the pre season but struggled not having all his players here.

If you're talking about Jose's literal first day on the job I think that's silly.
Season 1 - play the JM way. Win two trophies
Season 2 - "-" Come second to the greatest league performance by any Premier League team. FA Cup final loss. Ignominious CL exit.

Season 2 was okay and Jose admits needing vast improvement and has seen his original game plan fall short on the field and with the fans support. So perhaps it's also part of feeling more at home with United that he is now shifting to what the fans keep clamoring for as well - more expansive footy.

None of this happens overnight is the point. Let's be happy it's happening at all; a manager as decorated as Jose could just as easily have been stubborn and refused to change his ways.
Great post. I think you've really hit another good point about him feeling more at home with the fans. He's previously managed clubs where, by his own admission, the fans do not cheer after losing 3-0 at home.

He trusted his new coaches, let them help him implement a new system and saw that the fans like it irrespective of the result. Now he's aware that he is able to take more offensive risks and not be booed by his own fans if it doesn't always work.

Good job he doesnt read this forum though as he'd not have felt so supported.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
If all it takes is 2 weeks of passing. What the feck had we been doing all these years?

Andersons Dietician

Great post. I think you've really hit another good point about him feeling more at home with the fans. He's previously managed clubs where, by his own admission, the fans do not cheer after losing 3-0 at home.

He trusted his new coaches, let them help him implement a new system and saw that the fans like it irrespective of the result. Now he's aware that he is able to take more offensive risks and not be booed by his own fans if it doesn't always work.

Good job he doesnt read this forum though as he'd not have felt so supported.
I hope you’re right, I’m not ashamed to say I’ve never felt his appointment was right for us, not at the time we did it anyway, but what you’re saying is what most Jose out people have been saying for 2 years now. Come in, try and play football and people will give him time with it because inevitably there will be mistakes. Spurs defeat felt like he earned more respect than he lost to be honest. It’s just a shame that it has taken 2 years for hopefully him to have realised it and understand the fans and club a lot better.

I do feel like the match against Burnley was the perfect time for him and on the day they were atrocious but there were things we did that were intresting and more impressive however still kind of feel like it’s too little too late and he is out their campaigning for his life, would love nothing more than this team to click and become the slick passing counter attacking team it could be but Chelsea had play like this once till around November then he changed back to type so want to see more of this but I don’t really have high hopes for it.

Camilo

What the feck was Brighton then?

I agree, Spurs was a much, much better performance, and we were decent against Burnley, but why the huge swings in intensity?! Fingers crossed we keep moving in the right direction, because we fecking well should with the quality we have. Beaten by Brighten because Ed wouldn't let Jose didn't sign Alderweireld - feck off. Half arsed excuses.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What the feck was Brighton then?

I agree, Spurs was a much, much better performance, and we were decent against Burnley, but why the huge swings in intensity?! Fingers crossed we keep moving in the right direction, because we fecking well should with the quality we have. Beaten by Brighten because Ed wouldn't let Jose didn't sign Alderweireld - feck off. Half arsed excuses.
It's clearly a mentality issue, this squad think they're too good for the likes or Brighton, so they just rock up expecting an easy win. Same sort of stuff happened last year that cost us.

Spurs gave us the wake up call we needed, I just hope the international break doesn't take away that fire or we'll be in trouble against watford.

Treble

I doubt that Jose cannot coach the players to move the ball quickly. It is just more risky and doesn't quite fit his understanding of the game. Quick passing is more likely to result in counter attacks for the opposition, especially vs teams who are excellent at pressing and intercepting passes. A very good system should be in place in order to reward the risks related to quick passing of the ball.

The change in tactics is initiated by the players, imo, since they got tired of Jose's cautious approach and want to play diffetently. It was clear vs Spurs that they really want to play more attacking football.

Adam-Utd

I doubt that Jose cannot coach the players to move the ball quickly. It is just more risky and doesn't quite fit his understanding of the game. Quick passing is more likely to result in counter attacks for the opposition, especially vs teams who are excellent at pressing and intercepting passes. A very good system should be in place in order to reward the risks related to quick passing of the ball.

The change in tactics is initiated by the players, imo, since they got tired of Jose's cautious approach and want to play diffetently. It was clear vs Spurs that they really want to play more attacking football.
No.. if that was a case Jose would have been going crazy at full time, half the team wouldn't have played at Burnley.

He's trying to adapt which is a good thing, I just hope he doesn't give up and goes back to what he knows best.

Womp

idiot
I doubt someone hires two coaches known for their attacking football because he intends to continue in his defensive ways.

Last edited:

Treble

No.. if that was a case Jose would have been going crazy at full time, half the team wouldn't have played at Burnley.

He's trying to adapt which is a good thing, I just hope he doesn't give up and goes back to what he knows best.
No, you could not achieve anything if you lose the players. Given his history of losing the team in his 3rd year, he didn't have much of a choice. Besides, fans were happy with the attacking intent and effort of the team.

wolvored

I think Watford will be the acid test. Look at how we have played in the last 3 games. Atrocious against Brighton. Well beat by Spurs, but signs of a change in style. Burnley we won easily, coulld have, should have scored more, but they have been playing poor. If we can play with style and beat Watford, we can say that we are finally improving to challenge at the top. If we lose but a close game just a bad result, still a lot of improvement but on the right lines. Lose heavily will Mourinho revert back to type?

Adam-Utd

No, you could not achieve anything if you lose the players. Given his history of losing the team in his 3rd year, he didn't have much of a choice. Besides, fans were happy with the attacking intent and effort of the team.
So you think the players have just ignored his instructions and all decided to go out and start playing better football? Yeah sure :houllier:

Treble

So you think the players have just ignored his instructions and all decided to go out and start playing better football? Yeah sure :houllier:
No, the players influenced Jose's decision to change tactics - already before the game. Maybe a change in tactics/style was discussed already during the final months of last season and pre-season. Hence McKenna/Carrick. The loss vs Brighton played a role too. Whereas the team looked a bit lethargic vs Brighton, they worked very hard against Spurs.

MrBest

As what a lot of people have said, what have we been doing for 2 years. It feels like a whole pre season wasted again dumbing around.

Nevertheless, if this is the approach Jose is taking to change I am all for it. We genuinely cannot carry on the way we was, it was embarrassing and old fashioned. I really hope whatever they are doing works and despite my feelings towards Jose at this point in time, i fully back him to make this change. I am just hoping Fellaini is not part of this transition, i would rather Andreas be there, he is built for high tempo fast thinking football. Playing next to Matic would give him physical calmness.

cyberman

But Jose has fallen out with half the team already?
For me, he doesn't trust our defence after the Ed show in the summer so he wants us to score more goals to make up for it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For me, he doesn't trust our defence after the Ed show in the summer so he wants us to score more goals to make up for it.
Jose himself said you can't play attacking football without solid defense, so which is true? Your assumption or Jose's words?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good post.

Treble

It seems to me that the players are happy with the new tactics and are willing to put a shift. There isn't a (significant) problem between Jose and the players right now. Several wins in a row and they will love each other again.

Canagel

Very good but this is what should've been done from day 1. We would be a lot further forward in terms of progress by now. It doesn't take more than 2 weeks to implement an attacking style but it can take longer to perfect it.
I'd also like to see Martial soon and see what he can do with the rest of our first team. He's a goalscorer and one player who can get the ball and dribble at defenders.

Last edited:

Lennon7

I knew someone would be impressed by the novel idea of quick passing:lol:
So in your mind for the past year we’ve been up to scratch with quick build up play? We’ve been fecking shite with our attacking creativity, and it’s good to hear the team is focussing on slick build up rather than boring, safe, sideways passing what an emphasis on defending a 1-0 lead.

Seriously question how some people’s noggin works on here. To me it’s fecking obvious what Lukaku was getting at.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So in your mind for the past year we’ve been up to scratch with quick build up play? We’ve been fecking shite with our attacking creativity, and it’s good to hear the team is focussing on slick build up rather than boring, safe, sideways passing what an emphasis on defending a 1-0 lead.

Seriously question how some people’s noggin works on here. To me it’s fecking obvious what Lukaku was getting at.
The point, is that it implies that we've not even tried it in the last two years! Which seems madness.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sadly as much as I love Martial, I agree too that introducing Martial over Lingard would be a hindrance.
Sadly yeah, Martial isn't very adaptable. To get him playing at his best, you need to see him in one specific role. However it would still be interesting now that we have a normal LB who would give overlapping opportunities

downunder red

Whatever the reasons are, for our more entertaining or attacking football, i can not wait for the next match. I think Jose realised it was all downhill if he didn't change to a; let's say; man utd way.
We're in for a bumpy ride maybe but i'm backing the team if they play that way every week.

Lennon7

The point, is that it implies that we've not even tried it in the last two years! Which seems madness.
Except it doesn’t, it implies that we’ve been working on it more than normal lately and it’s paying off with performances like we produced at Burnley.

SoCross

Except it doesn’t, it implies that we’ve been working on it more than normal lately and it’s paying off with performances like we produced at Burnley.
Not really read most of the thread but yeah, it came across to me as training is now focusing more on quick passing drills...madness to draw a conclusion that we haven't been working on it for the past two years.

And we probably haven't been focusing much on it since Rene and the gang.

Lennon7

Not really read most of the thread but yeah, it came across to me as training is now focusing more on quick passing drills...madness to draw a conclusion that we haven't been working on it for the past two years.

And we probably haven't been focusing much on it since Rene and the gang.
Exactly, not sure what’s so confusing about that to others :lol:

Bobski

The thing is, the players probably hated playing the conservative style of large periods of the last 2 years as much as we were frustrated and depressed watching it. A more expressive approach and suddenly they look brighter and more confident instead of paralyzed by doubt.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

The thing is, the players probably hated playing the conservative style of large periods of the last 2 years as much as we were frustrated and depressed watching it. A more expressive approach and suddenly they look brighter and more confident instead of paralyzed by doubt.
Agree. Hope it's the start of a new era under Carrick and McKenna.