Lukaku's first touch

finneh

Saying a player has a bad first touch does not mean it is always bad. Rooney was very erratic with it at times, but he would pull out plenty of incredible ones then a 10 yard pass could bounce off him. Lukaku is similar, though not as good touch wise as Rooney, mis-controls balls you expect anyone to take and then does something brilliant when you expect it to fly off him. Makes it somewhat difficult to play off him, runners are never quite sure if he will get it right.
Lukaku this season reminds me massively of Rooney under Moyes. Productivity and general ability wise pretty good but just frustratingly inconsistent in terms of his technical play.

You're spot on when you say that playing with him must be incredibly difficult. For five aerial balls in a row he will be completely outfought by the defender, whilst someone like Martial is running in behind hoping for the flick-on; then the 6th ball Martial will not make the run and Lukaku will win the header. The same is the case with his first touch and his dribbling play.

In my view this is why he's not the best "team" player. He's at his absolute best when he's either a) finishing chances that other's feed into him; or b) using his pace and power to drive at the opposition defence, somewhat away from his teammates. It's also though why I think Lingard plays really well with him (and I'm hoping Sanchez will likewise), as I think he's the one player that will continue making runs irrespective of the frustration of not being found.

CallyRed

His first touch in the build up to the first goal somehow ended up on his head,but it ended up in the net which is all i care about.

He is a mixed bag, but he works his socks off up top and puts a shift in, especially the times when he has had zero service.

Mickfoley

What an absolute rubbish. Inconsistent first touch IS bad first touch.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, that Chelsea goal sums him up. Horrible first touch, ball over his head, knocked out Christensen for a second in winning it again, getting through and scoring with a very good first touch and cool finish.

Rooney comparison is pretty good in that sense, frustrating one second, excellent few moments later. One of Rooney's greatest goals, that overhead kick was followed after an awful first touch in the build-up moments before. He is also obviously a confidence player as few great moments will make him pick up his game and playing much better.

Don't know just why we don't play more balls into the channels like Scott did before the second goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's improving. It's clear his all round game is developing even if not fully consistent yet.

He's only 24 so quite confident he'll continue to do this and study the game.

el3mel

As I said previously it looks more inconsistent than being bad in general. Some times he controls it very well and some times very bad. If it's just inconsistent it'll hopefully improve later on.

reddevil702

I still think this is blown way out of proportion. Lukaku usually receives a pass with a defender at his back or surrounded by defenders, there's obviously more pressure involved when compared to where Martial or Alexis receive the ball. He's no Messi, but from what I've seen at United, his first touch is no better or worse than Kane's.

luke511

I still think this is blown way out of proportion. Lukaku usually receives a pass with a defender at his back or surrounded by defenders, there's obviously more pressure involved when compared to where Martial or Alexis receive the ball. He's no Messi, but from what I've seen at United, his first touch is no better or worse than Kane's.
What the hell, the ball seems like it's glued to Kane's foot. I definitely wouldn't say the same about Lukaku, more the opposite..

Camilo

What an absolute rubbish. Inconsistent first touch IS bad first touch.
100% this.

Mr Bob is a great penalty taker. Sure, he misses more than he scores, but here's a video of him scoring one to prove how great he is.

Charles Miller

He's improving. It's clear his all round game is developing even if not fully consistent yet.

He's only 24 so quite confident he'll continue to do this and study the game.
I'm not of of his haters, i dont think his season is bad. His first touch can improve but i think he is an efficient player anyway.

What worries me most is that he is playing professional football since he was a 16 years old. I saw the example of many Brazilian players that started as young as Lukaku and when they were in the middle of their 20s, their level dropped very fast. I hope this will not happen with Rom.

reddevil702

What the hell, the ball seems like it's glued to Kane's foot. I definitely wouldn't say the same about Lukaku, more the opposite..
I think Kane is the best striker in the world atm but there is nothing special about his first touch, especially to say the ball is glued to his foot. I would save that for someone like Suarez. Now I'm not saying Kane has a bad first touch but simply using him as a reference since he doesn't have that stigma and yet imo very similar skill level to Lukaku.

Nr.7

We look much better and more fluid without Lukaku.

Some players, a la Berbatov who was mentioned, have that magic touch.
Lukaku got that tragic touch.

Murray3007

I think Kane is the best striker in the world atm but there is nothing special about his first touch, especially to say the ball is glued to his foot. I would save that for someone like Suarez. Now I'm not saying Kane has a bad first touch but simply using him as a reference since he doesn't have that stigma and yet imo very similar skill level to Lukaku.
you seriously think Kane has the same standard first touch as Lukkaku ?

edgar allan

I will have some of what you are smoking please

Trizy

www.redcafe.net/logout

meamth

Nothing special about Kane's first touch, but he has effective first touch. Thinking with his head. Lukaku? he just hope for the best.

izec

I am starting to hate him, almost like he is doing it on purpose. it is worse than playing with 10 men.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Lukaku has a poor first touch, but what drives me crazy isn't just how poor it is, but how stupid some of his first touches are. A poor first touch can be made up for by having your first touch go into space around you. But in order to pull that off you have to be aware of who is around you and he just doesn't pay attention. His first touch is always straight back in the direction that it came from, or it gets caught up in his feet. Just this past weekend in the game against Fulham he was given a pass where his closest defender was beside him on his left. The ball was passed to his right. He tried to collect it and ended up giving it away. All he had to do was let the ball run through and he was gone on goal. But he just doesn't pay attention to these things and has no idea where his defenders are. It's so frustrating...

MyDevil

So frustrating to watch. And still Mourinho doesn't want to gamble on Mason in this game? What's the risk?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Is Berbatov an ambassador for Man Utd now? I love the guy, he usually articulates well but I don't know what he was speaking about there.

He contradicted himself by saying a strikers job isn't only to score goals but Lukaku is actually offering nothing at the minute.

Currently:

The ball bounces off him like a rugby ball ffs. Its ridiculous. His movement is also non-existent. He literally stands square in front of the defenders asking for the mids to thread the eye of a needle for him. How can anyone provide him service like that?

It's beyond a joke.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I find it funny how he always seems to prepare himself for the first touch, like you can clearly see him adjusting his body to receive it in a "oke any time now!" way.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
His touch was comical last night. That first exchange on the video above where he messed up a very dangerous counter was excruciatingly bad. Got to feel for him at this point. Flogging a dead horse.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Let's be honest, he simply doesn't deserve to play.

Awful touch and an awful physique that has slowed him down considerably.

Especially his acceleration and gas tank. Both are completely shot. Should no longer play any games for us until he deserves to. Should be eyeing potential replacements asap. Let him go to Italy if he wants.