Lukaku's "touch"

Greck

Yeap.

We often heard the variety of ‘he should be receiving more chances’ from his defenders, blissfully ignoring the fact that had he been able to position himself better and anticipate the situation to beat his marker, a lot of seemingly ‘non-threatening’ passes would be goal scoring chances.
In tight spaces what would count as service to a top striker doesn't count as service to him. He's outdone himself on the latest gif though because that was in acres of space

iHicksy

I actually hate him. You know those games when Rooney was rusty and had a bad touch? Well Lukaku is like that 24/7. I've never seen a footballer at united with worst technical ability than him. Honestly, he's put on a ton of weight and lost the agility he had and it just exposes his first touch, or lack thereof even more so. He's not got the quality to be a striker leading the line at this club. People aren't wrong when they say Fellaini would be better up top to suit the role fat rom "plays".

InfiniteBoredom

Ibrahimovic had a big height advantage though and could shift his weight very well to use it as power. I don't think Bulking up is a problem for Lukaku because he is still rapid. His weaknesses are technical.
The weight is almost always a hindrance on the pitch given how much running and dueling a lone CF is expected to do throughout the match. Zlatan himself suffered early on in his Juventus stint due to stuffing himself with too much pasta and pizza and he said once he shed that weight he felt much stronger on the pitch.

Lukaku had no problem dominating Smalling even when he was a bit scrawny (the 5-5 match against WBA). His problem with strength stems entirely from him not knowing how to consistently use his body, not how much muscle he puts on.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I actually hate him. You know those games when Rooney was rusty and had a bad touch? Well Lukaku is like that 24/7. I've never seen a footballer at united with worst technical ability than him. Honestly, he's put on a ton of weight and lost the agility he had and it just exposes his first touch, or lack thereof even more so. He's not got the quality to be a striker leading the line at this club. People aren't wrong when they say Fellaini would be better up top to suit the role fat rom "plays".
Struggling to think of anyone in the league that is worse than Lukaku technically, it's actually quite impressive how he fecks up every ball that comes to him.

I was never a great player, but controlling a ball is the first thing that comes to you, and for a Premier League footballer to seemingly repel the ball is mind blowing, someone said to me the other day that he needs to find a wall, and start kicking the ball at it and controlling the rebound, a wall needs to be built at Carrington for him.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
“Struggling to think of anyone in the league worse than Lukaku technically”

The drivel that is posted on this forum.

roseguy64

@kouroux @InfiniteBoredom yeah it's actually crazy to see at this level. If he had just let Lingard's pass go through his legs he may have even had a chance of getting there. On top of that there were 2 crosses from Dalot today that I'd put my money on previous strikers we've had scoring. One was a lovely cross into the 6 yard box and Lukaku had somehow run past the ball, otherwise it was a header at an open goal. I think he's better than he is showing right now but the problem is even at his best he's a squad player at best for a top side.

I mentioned in his thread that I don't think he'd get into a team ahead of any of the first team strikers we've had in the Premier League era. A great striker for a 6-10 team but not for those looking to win major trophies.
One of those crosses the goalie touched it so it went past him. The other one yeah it just missed him but that happens to everyone. What is important is that we actually created chances for him to miss. That's not happened enough.

Pace Abuser

The penalty today was conceded from a run of play that Lulaku was responsible for creating. A simple ball and he attacked it like it was a plate of his dinner and the ball flew away into Fulham's possession.
I was livid. How can he be that bad having somehow made it to the top??

minoo-utd

What happened to him? I mean he has a great scoring record at the P.L but was he that poor? I guess no. So what is going on here at United? Confidence? Jose? What!

kidbob

The penalty today was conceded from a run of play that Lulaku was responsible for creating. A simple ball and he attacked it like it was a plate of his dinner and the ball flew away into Fulham's possession.
I was livid. How can he be that bad having somehow made it to the top??
I remember that. Lingard made the run to drag defenders away and a simple pass would have put Rashford through 1 on 1 and somehow Lukaku chose to try and put Lingard through even though it was a dummy run. It was so maddening.

Sterling Archer

Ibrahimovic had a big height advantage though and could shift his weight very well to use it as power. I don't think Bulking up is a problem for Lukaku because he is still rapid. His weaknesses are technical.
Hmmm. Definitely technical issue. It sometimes seems like his body is bigger than he realizes. He just seems so clumsy , even without the ball like when he's attempting stepovers

kidbob

One of those crosses the goalie touched it so it went past him. The other one yeah it just missed him but that happens to everyone. What is important is that we actually created chances for him to miss. That's not happened enough.
I didn't realise that the keeper had touched that one, that's fair enough. However his best for a top team is as a bench player (and remember we once had a much superior striker in Ole as a bench player) which isn't good enough for a 75m striker. On his last few months I'd honestly take Rooney back as striker because at least he has intelligence in the role and would bring the odd moment of magic. Lukaku is better than he has shown but his best isn't good enough, and he is definitely out of shape.

ravi2

“Struggling to think of anyone in the league worse than Lukaku technically”

The drivel that is posted on this forum.
I agree that comment was a bit over the top but Im sure you can understand where the poster was coming from.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The annoying thing about his touch today was that the pass hardly caught him by surprise. If you look at the gif, you will see he is arms out as usual, begging for the ball to be played to him. It then comes at him from 20 yards away but he trapped it like a wrestler.

kidbob

The annoying thing about his touch today was that the pass hardly caught him by surprise. If you look at the gif, you will see he is arms out as usual, begging for the ball to be played to him. It then comes at him from 20 yards away but he trapped it like a wrestler.
Homestly mate his lack of realising that he should be positioned to run onto a through pass is more worrying. There is no Fulham player near him and if had been ready to run through then Lingard's pass would have put him 1v1. We get away with it today but those are the moments that can mean breaking down a team. I've no idea how a PL player wouldn't realise that they were basically a simple pass away from being put through on goal. However yeah even forgetting that his touch was outrageously bad.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Remember how funny it was when the Scousers first XI included Emile Heskey? Bugger.

Foxbatt

He never anticipates anything. That is why he is always on the back foot. He moves so late. I agree that I cannot think of any player playing as a CF who has so poor technique. Every time he got the ball I expect him to do something unusual and lose it. He did not disappoint me.

Meep

You don't have to have a muscular upper body. You need core strength and strong legs (hips and thighs). Lukaku is either dumb or misinformed. Personnel in united physio team is in either case accomplices.

ash_86

Found this on reddit. It's no where bad as we make it out to be compared to others. His lack of involvement is worry some though.

Found this on reddit. It's no where bad as we make it out to be compared to others. His lack of involvement is worry some though.
It's not great reading. It's basically saying he's bloody lazy, and combined with watching him play you can see he's not losing it much because hes rarely in dangerous positions and getting closed down like an Aguero.

Moriarty

It's not great reading. It's basically saying he's bloody lazy, and combined with watching him play you can see he's not losing it much because hes rarely in dangerous positions and getting closed down like an Aguero.
Funny you should say that. Lukaku does get a lot of space outside the box, and in wide positions. You rarely see a close marking job on him like you do Aguero when he's often got a couple of defenders on him.

Funny you should say that. Lukaku does get a lot of space outside the box, and in wide positions. You rarely see a close marking job on him like you do Aguero when he's often got a couple of defenders on him.
According to Squawka Aguero has taken 13 shots from outside the area this season compared to 1 from Lukaku. I think defenders know it's safer to let Lukaku have space from distance as he's not dangerous until he's up to speed running at you. Aguero has such incredible movement you need to be right on top of him.

ash_86

He alone cannot solve the problem though. When we counter , we counter very inefficiently so he's crowded out by the time ball gets to him and he's no longer a passing option. Even if he makes a run, the midfielders decide to pass it sideways or play it safe. We have seen him make great runs for his NT and score. The problem is multi storied at our club.

Moriarty

According to Squawka Aguero has taken 13 shots from outside the area this season compared to 1 from Lukaku. I think defenders know it's safer to let Lukaku have space from distance as he's not dangerous until he's up to speed running at you. Aguero has such incredible movement you need to be right on top of him.
Agree with that. For a top-level forward, Lukaku is lacking in a few fundamentally-necessary areas. A proper cenre-forward like, say, Shearer, was dangerous no matter where he was. He could hit them from range, head balls as hard as some can shoot, and had excellent close control.