Lukaku's "touch"

Charles Miller

If you had Mata and Lingard and co as your supply then you would be shiite too.

Coupled with a negative manager then the whole thing is hopeless.
I think it might be true in the Lukaku performances thread. But not in the Lukaku's "touch" thread.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Every time I see the ball ricochet off his foot I cast my mind back to the finesse of the likes of Van Persie and Berbatov and wonder how we’ve got here.
Why do you have to think of our best first touchers? Literally any former strikers who played for us regularly had a first touch on a different planet. Chicharito, Tevez, Rooney I mean I think Anderson would have a better first touch

Red14Devil9

Why do you have to think of our best first touchers? Literally any former strikers who played for us regularly had a first touch on a different planet. Chicharito, Tevez, Rooney I mean I think Anderson would have a better first touch
Yeah, Lukaku is one of the clumsiest players in the Premier League, because he is so tall and fat at the same time. I think that he is a perfect player for a club like Everton, in other words, not a really top club, because he could get away with this kind of clumsiness there, but can't at a club like United.

Godfather

Andersons touch was more than fine

Slaford RED

Yeah, Lukaku is one of the clumsiest players in the Premier League, because he is so tall and fat at the same time. I think that he is a perfect player for a club like Everton, in other words, not a really top club, because he could get away with this kind of clumsiness there, but can't at a club like United.
The Everton fans were booing him and complaining about his performances, just as we bought him.

Seij

I hear Wycombe Wanderers are looking at Lukaku to create an ultimate striking duo with Akinfenwa.

Foxbatt

Even Fellaini has a better first touch. Fellaini up front would be better than Lukaku.
Now he will go a score a goal against Arsenal.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A little bit of variety in runs would go a long way in him finding more space for passes. At the moment, in order to create him a chance, you need some ridiculous precision coupled with some CBs laps in concentration
Yea there is a noticeable difference in movement between him and the likes of ronaldo, granted i am setting the barometer high with ronaldo. But ronaldo is always trying to get in front or in behind or in between defenders. Lukaku just expects the ball to magically drop at his feet and even when it does he cannot control it.

TheLord

Who is worse - Lukaku or Morata ? I think that's a close call with Lukaku marginally worse than Morata. Anyway, there's a separate, big thread for that debate.

The important question is - Which club will dump their striker sooner? And that will be a reflection of the relative "ambition" of these two big clubs.

Disastrous way to lose ~ 150 million.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Skipped the touch part, went straight to nutmegging himself. :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When did that happen?
I think within the first 2-3 minutes as he got subbed in. Mustafi was behind him. He tried to control the ball but missed it. May not have been a nutmeg, I don't remember anymore.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
From what I remember, JM didn't rate him at Chelsea and shipped him out on loan didn't he? So why did he pay so much to have him at United?

Foxbatt

That was the best dummy I have ever seen. He dummied himself. His turning is slower than Inzamaam ul Haq. Like an huge oil tanker.

tomaldinho1

Has anyone got the GIF of that one when we were training in LA pre season, they were doing some drill and the ball passed to him at 2mph, only to fly off his foot when he tried to control it?

kidbob

Another variety of it today

The gift that keeps on giving
What's more infuriating is that he should have been on the half turn looking to run onto a through pass. No one behind him, all the space in the World for the pass through and he's looking to receive it short. He doesn't have a top class stirker's instinct along with his average overall game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What's more infuriating is that he should have been on the half turn looking to run onto a through pass. No one behind him, all the space in the World for the pass through and he's looking to receive it short. He doesn't have a top class stirker's instinct along with his average overall game.
If he did what you described, he'd be on a 1v1 duel indeed cause that Fulham wouldn't be able to stop him. Little details like that prevent him from being much more dangerous

InfiniteBoredom

Yeap.

We often heard the variety of ‘he should be receiving more chances’ from his defenders, blissfully ignoring the fact that had he been able to position himself better and anticipate the situation to beat his marker, a lot of seemingly ‘non-threatening’ passes would be goal scoring chances.

Judas

Open to offers
I find him utterly frustrating to watch. Especially when everyone else today in the first half was displaying some football intelligence. I think he overthinks too much, and I do find myself unfairly enraged by his finger pointing.

Sterling Archer

From what I remember, JM didn't rate him at Chelsea and shipped him out on loan didn't he? So why did he pay so much to have him at United?
It was an intriguing window where we were after Morata for so long and then a seemingly overnight swoop for Lukaku. Maybe it was jusr going after plan B once Madrid persisted in haggling?

He's still young and I'm hopeful he can improve his overall touch and form. But my God the bulking needs to stop. You'd think seeing someone like Ibra would knock sense into these players about how being lean doesn't mean weak..

shamans

Yeap.

We often heard the variety of ‘he should be receiving more chances’ from his defenders, blissfully ignoring the fact that had he been able to position himself better and anticipate the situation to beat his marker, a lot of seemingly ‘non-threatening’ passes would be goal scoring chances.
There's a reason strikers like Kane or RVN just seemed to get more chances. I'm not denying our midfield is poor but you create your own chances as well.

kidbob

@kouroux @InfiniteBoredom yeah it's actually crazy to see at this level. If he had just let Lingard's pass go through his legs he may have even had a chance of getting there. On top of that there were 2 crosses from Dalot today that I'd put my money on previous strikers we've had scoring. One was a lovely cross into the 6 yard box and Lukaku had somehow run past the ball, otherwise it was a header at an open goal. I think he's better than he is showing right now but the problem is even at his best he's a squad player at best for a top side.

I mentioned in his thread that I don't think he'd get into a team ahead of any of the first team strikers we've had in the Premier League era. A great striker for a 6-10 team but not for those looking to win major trophies.

shamans

It was an intriguing window where we were after Morata for so long and then a seemingly overnight swoop for Lukaku. Maybe it was jusr going after plan B once Madrid persisted in haggling?

He's still young and I'm hopeful he can improve his overall touch and form. But my God the bulking needs to stop. You'd think seeing someone like Ibra would knock sense into these players about how being lean doesn't mean weak..
Ibrahimovic had a big height advantage though and could shift his weight very well to use it as power. I don't think Bulking up is a problem for Lukaku because he is still rapid. His weaknesses are technical.