Luke Chadwick: "cruel jokes made me stay in the house."

Dante

Average bang
He's regressed thats the point i'm trying to make. He reached his peak at 24-25 and now he can't play at the same level anymore. Happens a lot in football.
Your previous post gave it as justification for abuse. It's not. It's out of his control.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Your previous post gave it as justification for abuse. It's not. It's out of his control.
He was getting the abuse he was because of the way he was acting. He was pure shit on the field yet still had time to advertise his stupid clothing branding and tweeting some really stupid posts like im the 0.0001%

patty123

What the lad need to do was just remember, two were seriously obese clowns, one shites himself in front of millions and one cant even speak right in Jonathan Woss

Dante

Average bang
He was getting the abuse he was because of the way he was acting. He was pure shit on the field yet still had time to advertise his stupid clothing branding and tweeting some really stupid posts like im the 0.0001%
It's hypocritical of you to abuse somebody else for being stupid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lingard gets criticised for not being good enough. Chadwick seemingly got criticised for his looks. It's not the same thing. If Lingard has been criticised for his behaviour, it's probably because of those cringey videos he posts which put a big fat target on his head (although people are too critical of footballers and their antics without a doubt).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Also, it matters who is doing the mocking. Twitter idiots is one thing and an anchor /presenter/pundit is another.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Well he wins in the end. A PL medal, played for his boyhood club and is not ugly at all anymore.

The facial hair and more mature look along with being comfortable is your own skin does wonders.

Red_toad

Well ‘media’ is a very loose term, and anyone with a camera or even a phone is considered media today. No official media such as BBC could repeatedly take the mick out of someone’s face, unless the presenter was the player’s personal friend or something. They could get sued for a start.
Trump gets shit all the time for his hair and hands etc. That’s mainstream media. There are numerous shows where comedians get together to take the piss out of none PC people. Unless you don’t watch much tv you must see it?

jackal&hyde

Well he wins in the end. A PL medal, played for his boyhood club and is not ugly at all anymore.

The facial hair and more mature look along with being comfortable is your own skin does wonders.
:lol:

There is still abuse though in a bit of a different form; Ole and Pogba got it hard this year, Lingard too. People like to talk trash about other people and i'm sure all of us have been guilty of it. The line is crossed for me when it's in personal messages or when it's from a live tv program. Criticism is fine and healthy imo but vitriolic hate like i've seen this year from our own fans i've never seen before with United.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Heartfelt apology from the left’s golden boy

Hancock looking like Freddy Boswell but a good apology from him.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
shows how times have changed, this was considered fair game back then but you wouldnt get away with such comments about a youth player nowadays on national TV.

I remember as well that Baddiel and Skinner did a whole "hes got a pineapple on his head" sketch about Jason Lee back in 90s, would be considered pretty racist nowadays

and I would say this is much worse than the kind of crap you see on social media nowadays from anonymous nobodies - these were celebs on national TV

Anyway good on Chadwick for having the balls to chat about it - Im not sure if it actually affected his career, difficult to say

Stacks

It depends on the character of the player. For example, Peter Crouch knows he looks "different" and kind of embraces it, doing dance moves and even making jokes. I feel if Luke had said something at the time they would have stopped.

TheReligion

Abusive
It depends on the character of the player. For example, Peter Crouch knows he looks "different" and kind of embraces it, doing dance moves and even making jokes. I feel if Luke had said something at the time they would have stopped.
So people who look different should have to mock themselves to save further public embarrassment?

Falcow

Really? I didnt hear either 'I'm sorry' or 'I apologise' once in that clip or in any transcripts. Therefore not a real apology. Also says he didnt realise the hurt it caused till he was made aware of it. Says it all really.

Shove your non apology you bellend.

Posh Red

Really? I didnt hear either 'I'm sorry' or 'I apologise' once in that clip or in any transcripts. Therefore not a real apology. Also says he didnt realise the hurt it caused till he was made aware of it. Says it all really.

Shove your non apology you bellend.
Whenever someone says this it comes across as really subtle ‘victim blaming’ for want of a better phrase.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm not excusing what people said about him but I think if that was on tv today it wouldn't be tolerated.

Member 101269

Sadly it's easy to destroy people based on our own understanding, there is so much unknown that differs from our own world, our own experiences. I watch the video and read Gary Lineker's twitter apology to the world. It makes me wonder, is the value of the apology as great as the damage Luke has suffered.

Sobering, when we all get things wrong. I hope Gary and Matt learn.

Posh Red

Good point. I hope Chadwick tells him where to go.
I’m sure he won’t and will just leave it to be honest.
Sadly it's easy to destroy people based on our own understanding, there is so much unknown that differs from our own world, our own experiences. I watch the video and read Gary Lineker's twitter apology to the world. It makes me wonder, is the value of the apology as great as the damage Luke has suffered.

Sobering, when we all get things wrong. I hope Gary and Matt learn.
Let’s be honest. Of course it isn’t. You can’t turn back time

Cloud7

I'm not excusing what people said about him but I think if that was on tv today it wouldn't be tolerated.
And honestly, it quite rightly should NOT be tolerated at all. It's obscene. Then of course you'll have some 'tough guys' in here saying that he's a snowflake, that people are taking this too seriously, toughen up, PC gone mad etc. With the way these threads go I'm surprised no one has shown their face in here yet saying 'It was just some jokes'. There's usually always a few of them.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s inspiring to come out and talk about this. I am sure lots of young people in school will read it and start to believe that there is a future where they won’t have to listen to the abuse.

I remember vividly being in school and wondering if I could ever truly be myself and be comfortable with who I was. There was an enormous pressure to conform and every change or diversion from the norm was punished. I can’t even imagine the scale of what he suffered, when it was meant to be the happiest time of his life. The likes of Hancock stole that from him.

I think it’s great to see how comfortable he has become and how much he has moved on. It will do a lot of people a world of good to hear it.

Well done Luke!

GGT

What a great pleasure it is to read this thread.
Every post a well meaning thought out reply, and no vileness when posters disagree on issues.

I had never before the virus strayed into other parts of the forum, but since being consumed with what is occurring with the virus have for the last weeks only read the coronavirus thread
It was making me consider what I was ever doing on RedCafe at all, page after page after page of vileness, everything a fact if it suits the particular poster, and when it didn't everyone else ,johnson, Sturgeon, whoever is a moron.

Member 101269

I’m sure he won’t and will just leave it to be honest.

Let’s be honest. Of course it isn’t. You can’t turn back time
Agreed; which begs the questions of both GL and MH. Saying sorry to the world via social media in hope someone might get it appears more about reputation management.

It’s pretty sad that the value of the apology has greater value for GL and MH.

What a great pleasure it is to read this thread.
Every post a well meaning thought out reply, and no vileness when posters disagree on issues.
The comments from Luke on mental health is quite timely.

#malementalhealth

Danny Roberts

All jokes aside, I’m not generally a fan of over political correctness, but in cases like this it is good that such behaviour would never be tolerated today.
It's not political correctness to not publicly call a young (in terms of career and being in the public eye) kid ugly over and over.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I got the free trial to the athletic about a month ago. My initial plan was to cancel when its over, but I've been massively impressed by the writing, even in a period of time with no sport.
Last 90 days or so would have been much less enjoyable without it.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No official media such as BBC could repeatedly take the mick out of someone’s face, unless the presenter was the player’s personal friend or something. They could get sued for a start.
I think in comedy programmes this could easily still happen, people have already mentioned more modern cases of it in this thread. As for being sued rightly or wrongly that's incredibly unlikely. There was once a case where Stephen Berkoff tried to sue Julie Burchill when she was the Times film critic for libel after she labelled him as hideously ugly. But that was almost dismissed and the only reason it was allowed into court was because the judge ruled that given he made his living partly from his looks anything that diminished that in public eye could be brought as a case, but it would have to imply he was "repulsive and not just physically unattractive. Needless to say Berkoff lost.

One would hope that nowadays a broad section of the media from comedians through to the papers had grown up, but just looking at the coverage of Meghan Markle as a random example shows nothing really has changed at all.

Johan Jovo

Just listened to official Man Utd podcast with Lee Sharpe. He spoke quite frankly about the stuff he went through and his (non)relationship with Alex Ferguson - I got the feeling in some way that he was just on the border of being bullied (though he did not explicitly say that). And he spoke about how he quashed all those feelings inside of him. Chadwick for sure had it worse, but the interview gives an inside look into footballers life - it seems it is not all about money, birds and booze..

Alan Partridge

Imagine being a grown man on national television making fun of a teenagers looks. I don’t know exactly what was said but I find that pretty inexcusable. Stark contrast to the Ferguson and Keane as in the article above.

Good on Luke for telling his story. Depression, anxiety and insecurity is rife as ever in that age group particularly. He’s done his bit to help.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Very brave of luke, opening up about this in public. Quite thought provoking.

Trequarista10

Watched his podcast on Under the Cosh, then watched a fair few more. Some great ones there, mostly Championship level players but a few ex United players too, Chadwick, Steele, Thornley if that's all your interested in. Some good stories and insights.