Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thoughts on his performance today?

Looked a lot better attacking today but defensively didn't convince which wasn't a shock as we were playing with a back five which contained Blackett, Keane and Young and a midfield of two attacking midfielders.

Raw

Looked a lot more confident today but there was a lot of sloppy passing.

James has looked the better player on this tour so far.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He looks pretty shaky to me so far. Needs a bit of time to settle down.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Its hard to judge fully because like you said, our overall lineup was a bit all over the place. He didnt stand out - basically he neither excelled nor disappointed, and I am fine with that for an 18 year old who has just arrived at the club, as he will only improve over time.

saivet

Looked fine to me. I think he's been pretty solid defensively in both games, going forward is an obvious area for improvement though.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Don't think he looks good enough going forward. Young looked better on the right today for instance. Obviously harsh to judge but he didn't exactly pull up great attacking numbers for Southampton in his 2 seasons. A United full back/wing back will need to offer more than just defensive solidity.

KM

He looks pretty shaky to me so far. Needs a bit of time to settle down.
Yup. Plus he's also playing a new role which he's completely unfamiliar with. We can see the talent but needs to settle down.

Like De Gea, there'll be some errors in the first season but I'm confident he'll become top class.

Cina

he looked like a 19 year old playing one of his first games for one of the world's biggest clubs after moving for a massive fee with lots of expectations.

Patience!

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Didn't watch enough of Southampton to know what he was like last year - but I have to imagine pretty impressive to warrant his price tag and hype. Has been terrible in these two halves. Early days, but needs to get going soon - he's presumably our first choice (only :() left back.

Brightonian

A few signs of his ability right at the end. But basically the wing-back position is good for nothing at the moment, regardless of who's in it. Not high enough up the pitch to do any damage as a winger, not deep enough to be dangerous as an attacking fullback.

Sid234

James has been the better player so far on tour. I think Shaw is still getting used to playing as a wingback, should get better as he adjusts to LvG's tactics

justboy68

Looks like backup to James at the moment to be honest. I'm sure he'll grow into it though, he's been here no time at all.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Did well towards the end. Poor decision making in attack mind.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's not an excuse but I don't think he's comfortable with the system yet. Amazing that James has adapted more to such a role given his lack of experience.

Just looks unsure of when to take his chances and actually go forward as a wing-back should. Had a good 15 minute period today.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So far he's not been great. Looks nervous but I am sure he'll settle in and be fine soon enough. At times I actually thought he looked a bit casual today, I hope that wasn't the case. He might think that he has that left back spot tied down regardless and in the long term I'm not sure if James can really push him for it.

Ekeke

I dont think he's done very well so far. Better last game than this. A lot more good stuff to come once he settles in

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He hasn't really been tested nor been given true licence to roam. I think as others have said he looks nervous, he hasn't been bursting forward like he did at Southampton, he instead looks for the safe pass. Came into the game a little toward the end which was good.

Hed Zitin

He's been mediocre. I have confidence he'll improve as the games mount and he settles.

I've seen enough of him at Southampton to know he's good. Give it time.

Last edited:

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Looks slow, disoriented and a bit shit. And a bit fat.
Bollocks. He did OK today. Certainly not shit. Although he does certainly need to look more of an attacking threat to justify that fee.

saivet

Talk about gross exaggeration. Okay the guy hasn't been that great going forward but defensively he's been sound. I'd be more worried if he was great going forward but getting taken apart when defending.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What are you expecting in 2 shite pre season games? This is why I hate pre season. Luke Shaw happens not to have reached Roberto Carlos levels in pre season so people start worrying. It's not even as though he's been poor. Wait until the proper games and judge then.

Cina

the way some people are talking is fecking ridiculous. Did you expect him to be the fully finished article at the age of 19, in pre season?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Not only has he just moved he's being asked to play a slightly different position in a different defensive formation.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
What are you expecting in 2 shite pre season games? This is why I hate pre season. Luke Shaw happens not to have reached Roberto Carlos levels in pre season so people start worrying. It's not even as though he's been poor. Wait until the proper games and judge then.
The difference between this pre season and others is that players in our side are adjusting to a new system and trying to prove themselves rather than going through the motions in previous years. If James out performs Shaw in the next few games then maybe he will start the league campaign as our LWB.

KM

We were playing a backline of
Amos
Young-Smalling-Blackett-Keane-Shaw

and then there was the central midfield pairing of Lingard-Kagawa who are obviously well known for their defensive qualities.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So far, it looks like Southampton has committed financial chicanery and we have been mugged.

Nevertheless, he is still very young and will only get better. Moreover, he is asked to adopt a new role. Even if he does not emulate his last season form, he still has time on his hand.

JSMHE

He did okay. I'm sure he will get more confident for the next game. He's very promising and a talented left back. Reece did well.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's a laid back type anyway I think. He'll be bang at it come the first match.

justboy68

Perhaps he'll look much better in a fullback rather than a wingback role?
I think he has all the tools to be a very good wingback, just probably doesn't have the tactical nous for it yet as I doubt he's ever played in such a system. Louis will knock that into him I'm sure. Might take a bit of time though given how thick he comes across in his interviews :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.