Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
The NFL has been sued for $750m for not protecting players with concussion. The culture has changed. If he was concussed he was concussed and shouldn't be on the pitch.
This. It's not brave to grit your teeth through injury (or just being hurt lol) it's just stupid to take unnecessary risks. There is a season coming for him after this one, and more importantly there is a whole life after a football career.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I no longer play sports.

However, I have played both American Football, and Basketball with;

Multiple broken noses sustained while playing.

1) Chinstrap broke on hit which resulted in helmet pushing back and breaking nose. Kept playing.
2) Broke nose running into team mate (point guard) after coming off of a tight screen. Broke nose in provincial tournament, kept playing after bleeding stopped.
3) Broke nose when another guy got a rebound, came down off his leap and caught me flush on the bridge of the nose with his elbow.

A completely torn ACL while playing football (played entire basketball season senior HS year played with a don joy ACL brace, was a provincial allstar had reconstruction with a patellar graft about 2 weeks after the season once fluid and swelling cleared)

A seperated AC joint. Football.

Sprained Ankles. Basketball.

Broken fingers. Basketball and football.

Sprained fingers. Basketball and football.

I don't consider myself to be a hardass, it's a question of, can you play or can you not play. A nancy little elbow to the face like that, and then to act like you've just gotten head kicked. Sorry. That is some weak ass shit.
He got concussed that is game over as far a as any doctor is concerned.

Its a Different injury.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I no longer play sports.

1) Chinstrap broke on hit which resulted in helmet pushing back and breaking nose. Kept playing.
2) Broke nose running into team mate (point guard) after coming off of a tight screen. Broke nose in provincial tournament, kept playing after bleeding stopped.
3) Broke nose when another guy got a rebound, came down off his leap and caught me flush on the bridge of the nose with his elbow.

A completely torn ACL while playing football (played entire basketball season senior HS year played with a don joy ACL brace, was a provincial allstar had reconstruction with a patellar graft about 2 weeks after the season once fluid and swelling cleared)

I don't consider myself to be a hardass, it's a question of, can you play or can you not play. A nancy little elbow to the face like that, and then to act like you've just gotten head kicked. Sorry. That is some weak ass shit.
Why do you call it football if you rarely use your feet? It would be the same if you called handball football.

By the way, clubs are fined and even further action can be taken if found guilty of not taking all precautions possible when handling head injuries. People have died from ignoring such injuries.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Didn't he collide with the Palace player when Fellaini sold him short? That was what I thought caused his injury at the time, not that (what seemed an) innocuous elbow.
That's how I saw it as well, definitely looked like he took a second knock right before going down.

Steven Seagull

I no longer play sports.

How much compensation did you get for the brain damage?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why do you call it football if you rarely use your feet? It would be the same if you called handball football.
The origins of the word "football" were for something played on your feet, with a ball... hence why you you have Rugby Football, American Football etc.

Trizy

I no longer play sports.

I've played on with a fractured ankle, sprained ankle and torn ligaments (all on the same glass ankle) but I'm not worth £30 million pound.

These players are investments for the clubs and they want to get the best out of them so if they take any sort of knock and you have a player on the bench capable of doing the same job then you take them off to protect them from further damage and risk them being out longer than needed.

ravelston

I no longer play sports.

Broken noses are rarely a problem (as long as the bleeding stops). The rest of your litany in a perfect example of everything that's wrong with High School sports. Irresponsible coaching with no regard to the long term well being of the players. And, as an aside, I'm a little freaked out by the idea of using a patellar graft in an ACL reconstruction for a patient of High School age.

Nucks

RT History Department

By the way, clubs are fined and even further action can be taken if found guilty of not taking all precautions possible when handling head injuries. People have died from ignoring such injuries.
I called it American Football. Yes, it's a silly name, yes that is what it is called.

The reason why it is called Football, is because it was originally a form of Football. You see, it all started way back in like the 1860's and early 1870's. US colleges played a form of association football/rugby hybrid. Princeton and Harvard most noticeably. Then in like 1870(something) Harvard played McGill, both schools had their own rules, and McGill introduced the idea of running with the ball, tackling and "downs". Harvard then took the new rules they got from McGill, introduced them to their own rules then went and played Princeton and the rest is history.

The point is, they started with association football, and kept adding stuff till the game was primarily played with the hands. The name was obviously football originally so they just kept it.

To reply to the people suggesting he was "concussed" if he was actually concussed, then he should retire. He will take headers harder than that elbow and if that elbow legitimately concussed him, he is glass chinned and is liable to be rendered completely unconscious fielding a DDG kick.

For the sake of his health and his brain if he was actually concussed he needs to seriously consider retirement.

Or, as I suspect, he was being a vagine, he should grow a pair and get on with it. I'm no stranger to concussions myself, and yes they suck, it took me almost 8 years to finally stop getting what doctors consider post concussion migraines. However, there is absolutely no normal person that would a concussion or be concussed from that blow.

Last edited:

Nucks

RT History Department
Broken noses are rarely a problem (as long as the bleeding stops). The rest of your litany in a perfect example of everything that's wrong with High School sports. Irresponsible coaching with no regard to the long term well being of the players. And, as an aside, I'm a little freaked out by the idea of using a patellar graft in an ACL reconstruction for a patient of High School age.

Playing with a torn ACL is no big deal. It is a matter of pain. You've already done all the damage you can to the tendon, and the donjoy brace takes care of the potential for any other injuries. Yes, it hurt at times. There were times when I would make a cut or plant and I experienced severe pain. I'd get subbed off. Limp to the bench, and literally walk it off. Good to go.

The graft took fine, however I do have the unfortunate but not uncommon side effect of the dull pressure pain on the outside of the knee. Makes kneeling a pain in the ass. I feel like you got the wrong impression. Every time I carefully weighted the decision, can the injury get worse? Can I injure something else? In all of the cases where it ticked all the boxes and the only negative was pain, I played. My coaches were always in this discussion looking for reasons to NOT let me play.

Nucks

RT History Department
How much compensation did you get for the brain damage?
Solid zinger.

The dude came at me with a "do you even lift bro".

My question is, how much per month do you spend on tampons, not for your missus if you have one.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I called it American Football. Yes, it's a silly name, yes that is what it is called.

The reason why it is called Football, is because it was originally a form of Football. You see, it all started way back in like the 1860's and early 1870's. US colleges played a form of association football/rugby hybrid. Princeton and Harvard most noticeably. Then in like 1870(something) Harvard played McGill, both schools had their own rules, and McGill introduced the idea of running with the ball, tackling and "downs". Harvard then took the new rules they got from McGill, introduced them to their own rules then went and played Princeton and the rest is history.

The point is, they started with association football, and kept adding stuff till the game was primarily played with the hands. The name was obviously football originally so they just kept it.
I read somewhere (internet, probably) that Football, and its many variations (association, rugby, gaelic, american and so on...) were named as such because they were played on foot, as opposed to being played on horseback. Was that a myth?

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I’m fed up with him. While we can see potential in him, it’s already his 9 injury for the club, and it’s clearly annoying. Annoying because for what he produced so far, he’s not better than Blind… But Blind is needed in midfield now…

It’s frustrating because we know that he has a big potential, and he has the power and speed to be good enough at the higher level, but he’s too unlucky with his injuries….

I just hope that next year will be his year and he will be back better. For the moment, even if he's bad defensively, I still miss Evra

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Playing with a torn ACL is no big deal. It is a matter of pain. You've already done all the damage you can to the tendon, and the donjoy brace takes care of the potential for any other injuries. Yes, it hurt at times. There were times when I would make a cut or plant and I experienced severe pain. I'd get subbed off. Limp to the bench, and literally walk it off. Good to go.

The graft took fine, however I do have the unfortunate but not uncommon side effect of the dull pressure pain on the outside of the knee. Makes kneeling a pain in the ass. I feel like you got the wrong impression. Every time I carefully weighted the decision, can the injury get worse? Can I injure something else? In all of the cases where it ticked all the boxes and the only negative was pain, I played. My coaches were always in this discussion looking for reasons to NOT let me play.
A completely ruptured ACL won't cause any pain actually. Not once the acute injury has settled anyway. The only symptom is joint instability. And it's a ligament, not a tendon. The clue is in the "L" in "ACL".

Some awful posts from you in this thread btw. Well done.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I read somewhere (internet, probably) that Football, and its many variations (association, rugby, gaelic, american and so on...) were named as such because they were played on foot, as opposed to being played on horseback. Was that a myth?
I'd pay to watch American Football played on horseback.

Revan

Assumptionman
To reply to the people suggesting he was "concussed" if he was actually concussed, then he should retire. He will take headers harder than that elbow and if that elbow legitimately concussed him, he is glass chinned and is liable to be rendered completely unconscious fielding a DDG kick.

For the sake of his health and his brain if he was actually concussed he needs to seriously consider retirement.

Or, as I suspect, he was being a vagine, he should grow a pair and get on with it. I'm no stranger to concussions myself, and yes they suck, it took me almost 8 years to finally stop getting what doctors consider post concussion migraines. However, there is absolutely no normal person that would a concussion or be concussed from that blow.
:lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can one of you gif geniuses did through your footage of the game and find the incident where he collided with a Palace player after the elbow and before he hit the deck? That might well have been what did the damage. He didn't look too bothered by the elbow in all the replays I saw.

SirAF

Ageist
So good! :lol: Also Nucks you carried on playing through your injuries, sure, but it was while you were playing shit pretend sports. This is football we're talking about, take your pretend sports examples out of this thread please.
:lol:

But seriously, it goes without saying you can't do that in pro sports. Luke Shaw is a huge talent and a massive investment for the club, they're not going to let him risk anything. And that's not even mentioning the human perspective, in terms of that there is a life after an athlete's career.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd pay to watch American Football played on horseback.
All non-horseback sports should be played on horseback, and vice versa.

I for one am looking forward to watching former jockeys have a foot-race across a stretch of marshy grass, leaping over a hedge, and falling into massive puddles. The loser gets the lethal injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.