Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Good news. He'll be better with a decent bit of rest. Has he had any recurring injuries this year? I seem to remember an ankle injury happening a few times?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Should just go. Doesn't even need to play every game, but it's in England's interest for him (and the rest of them) to go. If he's unable to actually play, then that's fair enough.

SirAF

Ageist
Because he has played a lot football, at the age of 19, and suffered a lot of niggeling injuries. The best thing for the player and the club is that he get to rest for the summer and then come back raring to go for pre-season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Good news. But considering our luck he'll injure himself in the next game again which will keep him out for whole summer anyway and he'll start the season unfit.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Hopefully this rest benefits him more than Rafael's rest did last summer.

SirAF

Ageist
Good news. But considering our luck he'll injure himself in the next game again which will keep him out for whole summer anyway and he'll start the season unfit.
I can't imagine that he'll play against Hull, no point.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I can't imagine that he'll play against Hull, no point.
He'll injure himself playing beach volleyball in the summer then. There are always many options for our players to injure thselves, don't worry.

Speak

Because he has played a lot football, at the age of 19, and suffered a lot of niggeling injuries. The best thing for the player and the club is that he get to rest for the summer and then come back raring to go for pre-season.
That doesn't explain why it's not in England's interest for him to be there. If he's fit, he should go, in my opinion. He doesn't have to play every full 90 minutes. People wouldn't be happy to see him left out of the full senior squad this summer for a tournament (if the scenario was exactly the same) so why here?

SirAF

Ageist
That doesn't explain why it's not in England's interest for him to be there. If he's fit, he should go, in my opinion. He doesn't have to play every full 90 minutes. People wouldn't be happy to see him left out of the full senior squad this summer for a tournament (if the scenario was exactly the same) so why here?
Of course people would.

It does. He should absolutely not risk getting injured for an U21 tournament when he has had the issues that he's had. It is also in England's best interest to take care of him physically so he can develop the way we expect him to do. Shaw can potentially play LB for United and England the next decade.

What's the big deal with this tournament? It should be for players who need it, not for players who are established at top clubs.

Speak

Of course people would.

It does. He should absolutely not risk getting injured for an U21 tournament when he has had the issues that he's had. It is also in England's best interest to take care of him physically so he can develop the way we expect him to do. Shaw can potentially play LB for United and England the next decade.

What's the big deal with this tournament? It should be for players who need it, not for players who are established at top clubs.
Fair enough. Most will agree with you, but not playing when fit in order to not risk injury doesn't seem right to me. It's not even like he has to play every game. But it's in England's interest to have their future tournament players getting experience, under low pressure, as a group. In my opinion, anyway.

As for the bit in bold. Who is this helping? How do they need it? The likes of Redmond, who'll end up like Noble, Muamba etc.. who got thumped by Ozil, khedira, Hummels and Neuer, and never saw a senior tournament. Who is it helping in any way?

The players who need it are the ones who'll use the experience later on. There are maybe three players who'll become anything good for England, being realistic (and I can say that without watching most of them play): Stones, Chambers and Kane.

SirAF

Ageist
Fair enough. Most will agree with you, but not playing when fit in order to not risk injury doesn't seem right to me. It's not even like he has to play every game. But it's in England's interest to have their future tournament players getting experience, under low pressure, as a group. In my opinion, anyway.

As for the bit in bold. Who is this helping? How do they need it? The likes of Redmond, who'll end up like Noble, Muamba etc.. who got thumped by Ozil, khedira, Hummels and Neuer, and never saw a senior tournament. Who is it helping in any way?

The players who need it are the ones who'll use the experience later on. There are maybe three players who'll become anything good for England, being realistic (and I can say that without watching most of them play): Stones, Chambers and Kane.
My meaning was that Luke Shaw (I only care about United's interest here, nothing else) is first choice at LB for Manchester United and next season he'll play in the Champions League. He doesn't need to play for the U21's and risk burning himself out - there is plenty of football ahead for him. He's probably the best English LB in the PL now and if he's going to play international football it should be for the first team, not wasting his time with the U21's.

I guess you are a huge England fan, and thus want to see the best players turn out for even the U21's which is a fair opinion but I only care about United and that Shaw was omitted from the squad was in the club's best interest.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough. Most will agree with you, but not playing when fit in order to not risk injury doesn't seem right to me.
It's not because of a risk of injury during the tournament, but because he needs rest, he needs that rest in order to not destroy the rest of his career.

Speak

It's not because of a risk of injury during the tournament, but because he needs rest, he needs that rest in order to not destroy the rest of his career.
They spend half the time lounging about bored, and he doesn't need to play 90 minutes, or even every game. Just my opinion, and obviously I'm alone here.

JPRouve

Scout
They spend half the time lounging about bored, and he doesn't need to play 90 minutes, or even every game. Just my opinion, and obviously I'm alone here.
He needs complete rest, not half rest, he has been playing like an adult for the last 3 years. He needs a sustained period of time without competitive training or competitive games, in order to regenerate his body and his mind.

SirAF

Ageist
He needs complete rest, not half rest, he is playing like an adult for the last 3 years. He needs a sustained period of time without competitive training or competitive games, in order to regenerate his body and his mind.
This.

English starlets have been overplayed before (Owen, Rooney being rushed back for, what?, two international tournaments?) so I really hope that's not going to happen with Shaw, because he is a very special talent.

SirAF

Ageist
Wilshere too, and we know whats happened to him. Seems eternally injured.
Yes, I forgot about him. Absolutely.

Remember how Ferguson used to give Ronaldo a mid season vacation for his first two-three years in England. He was a special talent who was always going to play a lot of football - so Ferguson knew he had to give him a good rest at some point.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes, I forgot about him. Absolutely.

Remember how Ferguson used to give Ronaldo a mid season vacation for his first two-three years in England. He was a special talent who was always going to play a lot of football - so Ferguson knew he had to give him a good rest at some point.
Yeah, and liked the fact that Moyes decided to rest Januzaj too.

SirAF

Ageist
Was he injury prone at Southampton? or is it just the United curse?
Nope, no history of injuries there. So hopefully it should clear up next season. But he had played two (?) full seasons for Southampton and then straight in as first choice at United at 19 - so it's not that much of a surprise that he's been struggling a bit.

Yeah, and liked the fact that Moyes decided to rest Januzaj too.
Aye, fair fecks to him for that.

Roman Bellic

Prick
He wasn't that bad this season to be honest, slightly regressed, but i dont think there should be any cause for concern regarding Shaw just yet.

Raw

Nope, no history of injuries there. So hopefully it should clear up next season. But he had played two (?) full seasons for Southampton and then straight in as first choice at United at 19 - so it's not that much of a surprise that he's been struggling a bit.
Plus he was at the World Cup.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He's not injured but his body can't keep up because he was overworked before joining us.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Excellent.

A good long rest followed by a proper preseason will hopefully do him a great deal of good.

jojose

Should just go. Doesn't even need to play every game, but it's in England's interest for him (and the rest of them) to go. If he's unable to actually play, then that's fair enough.
Couldn't possibly care less!!!!

It's on Manchester Uniteds (and i believe his) best interest not to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.