Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's got some proper eyebrows on him doesn't he! Think he will have a big year this year.

krazyrobus

If that's his 1st performance then I expect another injury filled season with the villagers bringing out their pitchforks.

XdanielredX

Hope he can stay relatively injury free and gets a decent shot.

As happy as I am with the signings we are making I can't help but feel United's British talent could be under serious threat.

Mali_Zeus

I hope we wont see 'omg how fat is he' or 'he's injured cause he has a fat ass' posts or we'll see a lot fewer ot those than last season.

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
He's going to be class this season if he can stay fit. He looked very good when he played last season and that was without being able to get any consistency to his game time.

People go on about our defensive frailty , but Shaw, Darmian and Smalling are three quarters of a very good defense.

Robbie Boy

How fat is that chap? I reckon the only reason he's always injured is because he can't stay away from a McDonalds. Bring out the pitchforks!

SirAF

Ageist
He's fast become my new favorite player at the club, really hope that he gets a good run with no injuries this year.

Sam

Really hope he's put the injuries behind him. If he can stay injury free, he'll have a fantastic season.

Brightonian

I struggle to imagine him not becoming one of our best players and one of the best fullbacks in the league. Might take time, but barring a career-limiting injury, it'll happen.

That moment against Chelsea where, full sprint, he took down a long Carrick (I think?) pass and simultaneously beat Ivanovic all with one touch. You simply can't produce a touch like that without being a special player.

And he's living proof that football intelligence and actual intelligence are not the same thing. Thick as two short planks, but his decision-making on the pitch is delightful for such a young player.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I struggle to imagine him not becoming one of our best players and one of the best fullbacks in the league. Might take time, but barring a career-limiting injury, it'll happen.

That moment against Chelsea where, full sprint, he took down a long Carrick (I think?) pass and simultaneously beat Ivanovic all with one touch. You simply can't produce a touch like that without being a special player.

And he's living proof that football intelligence and actual intelligence are not the same thing. Thick as two short planks, but his decision-making on the pitch is delightful for such a young player.
A fit Luke SHaw is already the best LB in the league imo.

Brightonian

A fit Luke SHaw is already the best LB in the league imo.
Well, probably. Since Baines has started to decline and allowing that Azpilicueta is a mostly defensive player in a superb Mourinho defensive unit. But it would be nice to see it for a whole uninterrupted season before making that claim. Otherwise it's really just theoretical.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Didn't see the match. How'd he do?
He impressed me. Looked positive all the time and a good thread down the left, didn't take too many risks and showed good pace and strength throughout.

Trizy

He's one signing I was never worried about, the lad oozes class and is years ahead of his age in terms of development. Everyone seemed to get some sort of injuries when training under LVG's new thinking so once he strengthens accordingly we'll see the proper Shaw.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I like his dribbling. He knows he has pace to burn so he ambles forward, inviting opposition players to close him down and uses the space they leave behind.

It's kinda like Valencia does only he bottles the bit where you actually push it into said space and switch on the afterburners.

kundalini

Didn't see the match. How'd he do?
Put it this way, Blackett was a lot more impressive at left-back in the 2nd half than Shaw in the first. One of them conceded a crazy freekick right on the edge of our box for a needless push after a long ball; it wasn't Blackett. About 1 min 22 secs into the clip of all his touches below.

m1y2

Put it this way, Blackett was a lot more impressive at left-back in the 2nd half than Shaw in the first. One of them conceded a crazy freekick right on the edge of our box for a needless push after a long ball; it wasn't Blackett. About 1 min 22 secs into the clip of all his touches below.

that faul wasn't even a faul, the ref was clown, wasn't impressive but a first game, more moments like that at 1:50, he doesn't look like someone who is fast but when he runs he's really fast. Blackett did well

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Another season of almost none attacking impact and I hope we sign his real competitor. Does he live in the 80's? He's great defensively but has literally no creativity whatsoever in him. He is fast, can dribble, a smart olayer but he hesitates too much on the ball. Needs to sort it out ASAP. You cant play possession football with non existent FB's.

Cantona'sCollar

Another season of almost none attacking impact and I hope we sign his real competitor. Does he live in the 80's? He's great defensively but has literally no creativity whatsoever in him. He is fast, can dribble, a smart olayer but he hesitates too much on the ball. Needs to sort it out ASAP. You cant play possession football with non existent FB's.
You are right, he isn't very good with his final ball and doesn't have the tricks & technique of Evra. However, his [extreme] speed, directness & tendency to overlap means he can still be dangerous going forward. I also think that he's so good defensively, that it is worth the trade-off. Just watch his performance against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge - he's obviously capable of being an attacking outlet, it's just a matter of consistency (as well as improvement in his final ball) for him.

I do think he will improve over time, though. He already has the defensive side of his game nailed down, so I am sure the coaches know they can afford to try and develop his technical side as much as possible - he's still so young, and it is his first time playing for a team where he will be on the front foot more than the back. I imagine we'll see a much more well-rounded player in three or four years.

Sammyjunn

You are right, he isn't very good with his final ball and doesn't have the tricks & technique of Evra. However, his [extreme] speed, directness & tendency to overlap means he can still be dangerous going forward. I also think that he's so good defensively, that it is worth the trade-off. Just watch his performance against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge - he's obviously capable of being an attacking outlet, it's just a matter of consistency (as well as improvement in his final ball) for him.

I do think he will improve over time, though. He already has the defensive side of his game nailed down, so I am sure the coaches know they can afford to try and develop his technical side as much as possible - he's still so young, and it is his first time playing for a team where he will be on the front foot more than the back. I imagine we'll see a much more well-rounded player in three or four years.
He has a lot of potential, I dont think anyone can doubt that. But he is in a way attackingly a hindrance to us. With the football we play, teams sit back and there's just no space in the middle. Because of that we should utilize the space out wide very well. Just watch how Barca does it with Alba and Alves, they cross, linkup, create space for wingers that's what we need to create more chances and raise the tempo. Last season Shaw and Valencia were just very lacking in this area whilst being very solid players. I think for Soton Shaw was better attackingly than he's for us now. Although against Chelsea, City, and Crystal Palace he had very good displays on attacking and defensive side, that shows promise.

marlowe78

I am still amazed by the maturity and confidence he has at his age. He looks very much like a veteran fullback.

Sammyjunn

The amount of criticism here is incredible. People are forgetting his age and the potential he clearly has.
It's only that his potential doesnt play in the field at the moment, there's some standards a starter for United has to reach to play week in and out. In attacking aspect Shaw just isnt reaching that. Playing talents is important, but the FB position is just so important in our style of play that we cant keep playing somebody there just because he has potential. If it doesnt change soon, you have just hindranced yourself for a while because you basically wait for potential to be fulfilled. With the importance of that position and our ambition to be amongst the best in the world, it doesnt look ideal to me.

Bwuk

The amount of criticism here is incredible. People are forgetting his age and the potential he clearly has.
Agreed. Plus I think, and I also think Van Gaal would agree that the fact he can defend first and foremost is more important than his attacking capabilities (which will improve). Valencia being a constant over Rafael sort of shows that.

Hopefully Shaw can stay injury free, he is much better than Blind at left back.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I agree with Sammyjunn on this, I was hoping to see that he can replicate that Chelsea performance on a regular basis and especially against lesser sides he should look threatening as an attacking outlet in his own right.

Really needs to up his game for in a technical sense and make more braver decisions on the ball, cut the passing back out.. try and cut in and use your midfielders so the momentum of the attack is still kept. Needs to work on his right foot.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Blackett didn't get forward once to help pereira from what I can remember, he just stood in the LB position and let him get doubled up on. Shaws "push was not even proper contact, he backed into him and when he held him off he hit the floor. That isn't a foul but he conned the referee. You can't blame Shaw for a stupid ref. apart from that he defended very well and supported the attacks, it was a solid but not spectacular performance.

saivet

From the sounds of things some of you guys would hate Azpi. I swear that guy doesn't even overlap.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The criticisms of his attacking contribution are valid, but I'm pretty confident that by the end of the season we'll be wondering why we were so worried. A season of regular first team football, the natural development that comes with it and the confidence of being a starter for United will see him really grow into the role this season. I'm certain of that.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The criticisms of his attacking contribution are valid, but I'm pretty confident that by the end of the season we'll be wondering why we were so worried. A season of regular first team football, the natural development that comes with it and the confidence of being a starter for United will see him really grow into the role this season. I'm certain of that.
I'd second that man

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

I enjoyed that 1 2 with Young at about 1.50 where he just glides past the opposition. He doesn't look quick but runs past people for fun.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Shaw still getting criticised on here.......shocking!

I guess he is just one of those players.

vodrake

Im really impressed with that story about him and Januzaj taking a fitness trainer on holiday with them, seems to have an impressively mature attitude. Really hope he can put the injury problems behind him this season, he's pretty much a nailed on starter for me when he's fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.