Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Don't see it happening too. Even if Shaw may be fine physically, he has no match fitness whatsoever.

Also having looked at that squad. Rose ahead of Bertrand? Is Danny Welbeck injured again? No way Roy would drop him out the squad, let alone not have him on standby.

Looks suspicious.

3KDré

Don't see it happening too. Even if Shaw may be fine physically, he has no match fitness whatsoever.

Also having looked at that squad. Rose ahead of Bertrand? Is Danny Welbeck injured again? No way Roy would drop him out the squad, let alone not have him on standby.

Looks suspicious.
Yeah Welbeck got injured yesterday, something to do with his meniscus.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hopefully his injury hasn't effected him too much as a player, one of the most talented young defenders in Europe at his best, best of luck, Luke!

Deleted member 101472

Said this a few times in the newbies but our season would have been entirely different without his injury. Even the passage of play that led up to his injury ( Took it past a few players, looked for a one-two and carried his run into the box) is something we haven't seen since. With Martial and Shaw we would have a double threat on the left where as now its just Martial doing everything as Rojo doesn't offer anything at all for defenders to be concerned about.

His return to full fitness is more important than any signing we make, provided he hasn't lost any of that ability or drive.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
He has a great attitude. Wish some of our players had the same desire.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would have been mad to take any risks this soon back.

As long as he's back, there's no reason he shouldn't get back to full ability and form with this. If it was more ligaments, especially knee, you'd have more doubt.

very comfy with him having an extra 3months to make sure.

Disaster of a season for him, and having him available would certainly have made things easier for everyone. For starters, we'd have had some semblance of help down the left for Martial!

clarkydaz

Said this a few times in the newbies but our season would have been entirely different without his injury. Even the passage of play that led up to his injury ( Took it past a few players, looked for a one-two and carried his run into the box) is something we haven't seen since. With Martial and Shaw we would have a double threat on the left where as now its just Martial doing everything as Rojo doesn't offer anything at all for defenders to be concerned about.

His return to full fitness is more important than any signing we make, provided he hasn't lost any of that ability or drive.
it is bizarre how the team declined due to losing a young fullback

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
pretty sure that shaw wasn't the main reason for it. sure he was great, but i think we could have 11 messi's in each position and as long as we're coached to lose/draw we're not going anywhere.

Deleted member 101472

pretty sure that shaw wasn't the main reason for it. sure he was great, but i think we could have 11 messi's in each position and as long as we're coached to lose/draw we're not going anywhere.
Coached to lose ?? Are you fecking kidding me ?

Bwuk

He'll walk back into the England side. Rose is a nothing player, and Bertrand is good but he's not as good as Shaw.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apart from Martial he was our only attacking option on the wing. Rojo and Darmain gave us 0 threat. CBJ was better and we improved dramatically when Valencia came back to right back. Our threat from out wide full backs and wingers has been chocking us all year.

clarkydaz

Apart from Martial he was our only attacking option on the wing. Rojo and Darmain gave us 0 threat. CBJ was better and we improved dramatically when Valencia came back to right back. Our threat from out wide full backs and wingers has been chocking us all year.
yeah, and Memphis seemed to rely on him overlapping aswell. Once was gone he looked a bit lost, so Shaw did have a big effect on the team

NinjaFletch

yeah, and Memphis seemed to rely on him overlapping aswell. Once was gone he looked a bit lost, so Shaw did have a big effect on the team
Memphis has done badly when Shaw's played too. His injury has barely made a difference on that front.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't know why people here always overrate impact of injured player during the time he played. We scored just 6 goals in 5 games with Shaw this season, and three of those goals came in one game against Liverpool. During those 5 games we played Newcastle, Aston Villa and Swansea, teams that will turn out to be terrible defensively throughout the season. Tottenham and Liverpool were only decent teams out of 5 teams we played.

We were equally bad attacking wise as we were for rest of the season, we had total of just 18 shots on target in 5 games, that's just 3,6 per game. Our average is actually bit higher than that this season - 3,8, but both are very low anyway, so let's not rewrite history.

Now, I am not underrating Shaw, I said at start of the season that he was our best player alongside Smalling for me, and not just that, but his standard of play in general was very high, and I personally think if he can repeat that form after he recovers he can become one of the best fullbacks in the world. I just disagree that we were "much better in attack" while he was playing because that obviously isn't true. He is better than the likes of Rojo, but even all attack fullback like Marcelo would hardly improve us alone because our play in final third was and still is terrible. We are playing slow and terrible football and no fullback could improve us that much. With Shaw we were bit better in our play on our left side, but we were hardly impressive in the final third even with him. Actually, I am not sure we were any worse attacking wise when BoJack played there, I remember him creating few excellent goalscoring chances with his crossing. Of course, we would be better if we had Shaw instead of Rojo this season, but let's not pretend Shaw created 3 chances all alone every game.

Btw, hopefully he continues next season where he left before the injury, I believe he can come back stronger.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
And of those 6 goals, 1 was OG, 2 were set pieces and one was a Martial special.

As good as he looked, our season would have carried on in much the same vein even if he hadn't been injured thanks to the ineptitude of Van Gaal.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
And of those 6 goals, 1 was OG, 2 were set pieces and one was a Martial special.

As good as he looked, our season would have carried on in much the same vein even if he hadn't been injured thanks to the ineptitude of Van Gaal.
Agreed, although his presence throughout the whole season would almost certainly have been worth at least an additional point somewhere along the line. Assuming we beat Bournemouth tonight that would have to be seen as a fairly big difference.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Agreed, although his presence throughout the whole season would almost certainly have been worth at least an additional point somewhere along the line. Assuming we beat Bournemouth tonight that would have to be seen as a fairly big difference.
Probably but had De Bruyne not got injured City might have sneaked in an extra point somewhere as well. If's and but's really.

clarkydaz

If you read my post you would maybe understand what I said. Maybe. It's not that hard.
give over, you admit Shaw was one of our best players playing at a general high level then say he wouldn't have made much difference to the rest of the season. He was linking up well with whoever happened to be infront of him, as some has said there was no chemistry on the right side at all and Shaw was the main thrust on the left. that was removed suddenly we looked blunt. So the team was compromised by his absence

Ole90+3

I don't know why people here always overrate impact of injured player during the time he played. We scored just 6 goals in 5 games with Shaw this season, and three of those goals came in one game against Liverpool. During those 5 games we played Newcastle, Aston Villa and Swansea, teams that will turn out to be terrible defensively throughout the season. Tottenham and Liverpool were only decent teams out of 5 teams we played.

We were equally bad attacking wise as we were for rest of the season, we had total of just 18 shots on target in 5 games, that's just 3,6 per game. Our average is actually bit higher than that this season - 3,8, but both are very low anyway, so let's not rewrite history.

Now, I am not underrating Shaw, I said at start of the season that he was our best player alongside Smalling for me, and not just that, but his standard of play in general was very high, and I personally think if he can repeat that form after he recovers he can become one of the best fullbacks in the world. I just disagree that we were "much better in attack" while he was playing because that obviously isn't true. He is better than the likes of Rojo, but even all attack fullback like Marcelo would hardly improve us alone because our play in final third was and still is terrible. We are playing slow and terrible football and no fullback could improve us that much. With Shaw we were bit better in our play on our left side, but we were hardly impressive in the final third even with him. Actually, I am not sure we were any worse attacking wise when BoJack played there, I remember him creating few excellent goalscoring chances with his crossing. Of course, we would be better if we had Shaw instead of Rojo this season, but let's not pretend Shaw created 3 chances all alone every game.

Btw, hopefully he continues next season where he left before the injury, I believe he can come back stronger.
I haven't read through the thread much, but are people really saying we will be that much better in attack when he rejoins the first 11?

If so, then I probably agree with you, that I don't think it will make a world of difference in attack. What I do think is that we will become far more competent in our overall play since we will finally have a decent full back. If he can stay fit, he is a guaranteed starter every game, and we don't have many of them in our squad unfortunately. The more we have, the better the overall performance will be. The 11 players on the pitch must have experience of playing together - team chemistry is not just a stat in Fifa, it's a real thing. Leicester are the prime example.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I dont understand how having the best fullback in the league available wont help the team. Of course he will add point at both ends of the pitch because that what the best players do. Seems to me people underrating the fullback position in general here.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
give over, you admit Shaw was one of our best players playing at a general high level then say he wouldn't have made much difference to the rest of the season.
... attacking wise - I don't know how hard it is to understand that. It was an answer to people who think we would be much better in attack.
We changed every one of our player in the first XI during the season and our team always looked clueless up front no matter who played. Martial is pretty much our only player that can make a difference alone, we played the likes of Lingard over Mata at times and we didn't look any worse or any better, because our style stayed the same. As I posted, our goalscoring record and attacking play was nothing better with Shaw in comparision with our average. It's pretty obvious that playing different players in this team hardly has much difference to our attacking play, especially fullback who isn't known for his end product anyway, we are incapable of creating too much mostly because our style of play, not just the players.

Geordopolous

For me its like having a new signing, cant wait to have him back. Him and TFM will be brilliant for us next season i reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.