Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Trying to work out whether that is Lindeloft or Darmian covering Lukaku for that goal there :confused:

If it's the former, I worry with what he showed in the pre-season. That's some school boy defending there.
Very poor defending from Blind also, I'd personally say that goals more his fault than Lindelof's although not great from him either.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Great to see he's back. Could he be ready for first team action post the international break?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he still clearly lacks match fitness. He didn't try any of his known sprints on the left side and concentrated on playing it simple and doing the basics.
For sure but I wouldn't read too much into it as it was just a run out for him. Also, Swansea's U23s were playing like right thugs so I'm glad he didn't try any mazy runs as they'd have only tried to flatten him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Should be. Reserves have a game against Spurs on Friday which could be a good test.
Great. A fully fit and in for Shaw will add a lot to our team.

Of course, Jose has to play him for that and that's far from certain.

el3mel

For sure but I wouldn't read too much into it as it was just a run out for him. Also, Swansea's U23s were playing like right thugs so I'm glad he didn't try any mazy runs as they'd have only tried to flatten him.
Yep. It still feels good to see him back and he should take it step by step to return to his fitness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I'm not sure Shaw will get game time before the game v Palace at the end of September.
I agree. As much as I'd love to see Shaw back, José will probably stick with Blind/Darmian for the time being, which is fair enough considering how we're playing.

theREDMAN

If we could get him back, fit, and bombing down the left wing to give us some much needed width, look out!

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree. As much as I'd love to see Shaw back, José will probably stick with Blind/Darmian for the time being, which is fair enough considering how we're playing.
I'm not sure I agree with this notion personally. I mean, I think it may be wise to not rush Shaw back, but mainly because of his long-term fitness as opposed to the fact we won a football match or two. This rationale has been used a number of times in the Great Martial Debate too.

We're Manchester United, if we left out all of the players we could probably manage to win without, our team would look awful. If Shaw is meant to be our first choice, the whole point in having the likes of Blind/Darmian as back up is so that we can still win in his absence. The idea is not to lose games when the first choice is out, not at a club of this size. When fit though, we go with our strongest side, form and fitness permitting. We barely drop a point in games that Romero plays after all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not sure I agree with this notion personally. I mean, I think it may be wise to not rush Shaw back, but mainly because of his long-term fitness as opposed to the fact we won a football match or two. This rationale has been used a number of times in the Great Martial Debate too.

We're Manchester United, if we left out all of the players we could probably manage to win without, our team would look awful. If Shaw is meant to be our first choice, the whole point in having the likes of Blind/Darmian as back up is so that we can still win in his absence. The idea is not to lose games when the first choice is out, not at a club of this size. When fit though, we go with our strongest side, form and fitness permitting. We barely drop a point in games that Romero plays after all.
I agree with you but us winning 4-0 two times in a row is something not to be taken lightly. I think we've only scored 4 or more 7 times since Sir Alex's retirement before this season and we've just done it in our first two games.

I said in the Martial thread I'd prefer him to start over Rashford at the moment and that goes for Shaw here, too, but I can see why neither, at the moment, will because we are doing something we haven't seen since Sir Alex - scoring for fun whilst still keeping clean sheets, and I can agree with that decision, too. I know it's only Swansea and West Ham but these were the types of teams we'd drop points to last season whereas now we are destroying them.

Basically, either way I can see the reasoning behind both but it would be great to continue blowing away teams with Martial and Shaw in from the get go. Having Shaw, Martial and Pogba will take our left side to a whole new level but, for now, I can wait.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree with you but us winning 4-0 two times in a row is something not to be taken lightly. I think we've only scored 4 or more 7 times since Sir Alex's retirement before this season and we've just done it in our first two games.

I said in the Martial thread I'd prefer him to start over Rashford at the moment and that goes for Shaw here, too, but I can see why neither, at the moment, will because we are doing something we haven't seen since Sir Alex - scoring for fun whilst still keeping clean sheets, and I can agree with that decision, too. I know it's only Swansea and West Ham but these were the types of teams we'd drop points to last season whereas now we are destroying them.

Basically, either way I can see the reasoning behind both but it would be great to continue blowing away teams with Martial and Shaw in from the get go. Having Shaw, Martial and Pogba will take our left side to a whole new level but, for now, I can wait.
Yea I guess that's all fair. Still plenty of time.

Solo Toure

Hoping for a good recovery and fitness for Shaw, our left back/wing is poor and in need of a Tony V mk 2 who will take players on rather than cut inside and pass.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have hope of him coming back to the form he was showing before his leg break. He will take us up a whole level if he can do that.

POF

No he doesn't. Mud sticks, and all that...
That explains it. He must have been rolling around in a lot of mud.

I do get that there's a preconceived opinion about Shaw being overweight but I only saw the goals without even realising he was playing. I was shocked by the fat guy playing for United before I realised who it was.

Mr Smith

Great. A fully fit and in for Shaw will add a lot to our team.

Of course, Jose has to play him for that and that's far from certain.
It's pretty likely he will IMO. If Jose wasn't prepared to give Shaw another chance we'd have bought a left back this summer, the fact that we didn't suggests to me Jose still has big plans for Shaw.

CM

That explains it. He must have been rolling around in a lot of mud.

I do get that there's a preconceived opinion about Shaw being overweight but I only saw the goals without even realising he was playing. I was shocked by the fat guy playing for United before I realised who it was.
He's literally a man playing among kids. It's not really a surprise he's bigger built than the rest of them.

I think he still clearly lacks match fitness. He didn't try any of his known sprints on the left side and concentrated on playing it simple and doing the basics.
Yep. Clearly just a run out on his way back to full fitness. He's still got some way to go by the looks of it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Understandably looks very off the pace in that game, but it worries me that by the time he gets back into shape.. he picks up another injury again. I am not too optimistic about his chances tbh... not only does he need to get super fit, he needs to actually improve upon his best form pre-injury and that is a huge ask.

Still think we will get a new left back.

theREDMAN

I remember Shaw a few years back pre-leg break and he was much heavier one preseason. It looks like he is taking his fitness a lot more serious than before. I am more concerned with the mental part of getting past these injuries. We need a fearless, bombing down the wing Luke Shaw.

pascell

I remember Shaw a few years back pre-leg break and he was much heavier one preseason. It looks like he is taking his fitness a lot more serious than before. I am more concerned with the mental part of getting past these injuries. We need a fearless, bombing down the wing Luke Shaw.
The games he's played since the leg break he hasn't been shy in getting stuck into hefty challenges and even receiving them, like the ones in the video above. I think he's going to be fine with the mental aspect, if anything he seems more determined than ever to put the injuries behind him.

Andersons Dietician

His ass is still huge though.
That's not a bad thing, that's muscle, also the probably the most important muscle in any athlete. It's where the power and control comes through, provides stability and power. Good on him

POF

He's literally a man playing among kids. It's not really a surprise he's bigger built than the rest of them.
He's a 22 year old playing in the under 23s. There isn't another first teamer at the club who would look as "bigger built". Hopefully he's fitter than he looks.

CM

He's a 22 year old playing in the under 23s. There isn't another first teamer at the club who would look as "bigger built". Hopefully he's fitter than he looks.
Jones is like the same build or bigger

Dobbs

He'd help himself by wearing a shirt the next size up. He's always pulling his shirt down cos it rides up, he looks uncomfortable in it. Same again Monday night.

Admittedly this isn't a problem up there with world peace but Luke do yourself a favour.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Cant wait for him to come back into the 1st team.

Hope he stays fit and proves himself, he's looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.