Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Seems he made the tour squad, despite the belief he needed a few more weeks recovery after his ligament injury...

Nero

This is his year, like 2015/16 was supposed to be before the injury.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good luck Luke, hope this season he can silence his doubters and become the LB we all know he can be.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
We could really do with him becoming the player we hoped he'd become and making that LB position his own.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last summer. Huge season for him.

MAME DIOUF 32

22 when the season starts. He may not be the player we hoped for but he can certainly be a better left back than Darmian.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is it true that he is out till December?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I swear there was an article couple of days back which said Shaw could be fit for season opener, I think something has been lost in the translation.

izec

I thought Rojo wasnt as bad? Why December? I remember talk of him being back in September. So many shit infos floating around

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Yeah, another journo quoted Mourinho talking about weeks and months. Shaw and possibly Young will probably be weeks (or close to) while Rojo and Zlatan are months.
Correct, Simon Stones has had a mare today. First fecking up the context on Morata and then on Shaw.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I thought it was strange as I was sure I saw Shaw do some drills with the main group on MUTV. Can't be that far away!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Jeez what a waste of space he turned out to be. He makes Jones look healthy
As an Englishman I'd love to see him nail down the role for both club and country, but I agree with you 100%. A total waste of space so far. A bloody sicknote that needs to sort himself out or feck off so that we can buy someone dependable at for the role.

Jaybomb

22 when the season starts. He may not be the player we hoped for but he can certainly be a better left back than Darmian.
Based on.... what?

Darmian has been great for us at LB. Especially in the Europa. Shaw has never been that good.

It's like saying "Januzaj can be better than Mata!"

Some players fail to live up the hype. It happens. We should get rid of Shaw and get Mendy in my opinion.

Dobbs

The stick Shaw gets. Crazy.

Calling the guy a sicknote when another player snapped his leg! Yeah he's had other injuries but without the break who knows how it would have been.

Remember he was also accused of faking injury end of last season.

I think he's got the making of a great player who needs nothing more than a change of fortune.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The stick Shaw gets. Crazy.

Calling the guy a sicknote when another player snapped his leg! Yeah he's had other injuries but without the break who knows how it would have been.

Remember he was also accused of faking injury end of last season.

I think he's got the making of a great player who needs nothing more than a change of fortune.
He was constantly injured before the leg break and he was injured after finishing rehab for it. His reputation is justified and it's up to him to condition himself better to avoid these injuries.

Dobbs

He was constantly injured before the leg break and he was injured after finishing rehab for it. His reputation is justified and it's up to him to condition himself better to avoid these injuries.
Two full seasons at Southampton without injury. So that's simply not true.

His first season here yes was marked by recurring injuries. Obviously conditioning had nothing to do with the second season. Then there's the inevitable knock on effect of that injury.

He doesn't deserve any reputation though I'd agree this season is important for him.

CM10

Based on.... what?

Darmian has been great for us at LB. Especially in the Europa. Shaw has never been that good.

It's like saying "Januzaj can be better than Mata!"

Some players fail to live up the hype. It happens. We should get rid of Shaw and get Mendy in my opinion.
Darmian is fairly limited in what he can do, particularly in the final third. He was solid enough in the Europa games for us but he was far from great in games where we were mostly grinding out results against vastly inferior opposition.

At his best Shaw is a much more dynamic footballer and equally adept in both attack and defence. Unfortunately we haven't seen it enough in the last couple of seasons due to injury and lack of first-team chances but the potential is certainly there.

red4ever 79

Was hoping we would ship out a few this summer and this guy would have been in my list. Apart from a run of 4-5 games where he played pretty well, he has been a major let down

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I know he's young and has potential, but this season is make or break for him (in my opinion, anyway).

I can't see Jose hanging on to him should he not get fit and put in some consistency on the pitch this season.

Let's hope it works out for him.

hubbuh

Going big on a left back like Mendy would have been the death-knell for Shaw so Mou must have faith that he'll come good. It's increasingly feeling like the writing is on the wall for him though. Come on lad let's avvv it

Dazzmondo

Training again now. Sounds close to a return. Late Aug early Sept I'd say

ManuMou

I know he's young and has potential, but this season is make or break for him (in my opinion, anyway).

I can't see Jose hanging on to him should he not get fit and put in some consistency on the pitch this season.

Let's hope it works out for him.
Agree. Jose will very likely bring in a new LB next summer if Shaw doesn't put on some show.

Also he is our only "hope" for LB this season, which is our weakest position. I also think that, together with Mkhi, Rashford and Martial, Shaw could be our wild card this season, especially with the signing of Lukaku.

I am not expecting a combination of good Shaw|Valencia that are able to directly/successfully put in crosses/assists.

To be honest, my expectation for Shaw and Valencia is not high, a combination of mediocre Shaw|Valencia would be enough to really make the difference, by providing width to stretch the defense and opening up space for Pogba/Herrera and our attackers. So even though if they can't directly make any meaningful crosses/assists, they could make the run, create space, etc......it could really change the dynamic of our attack by providing width. That was one of the main reasons that our attack was so weak last season.

Last season
Valencia was the only one stretching the defense. Basically all of our attackers cut inside and clashed with our CM, congesting the midfield or middle lane, and our LB basically had no ability to go forward, we had no width and couldn't stretch the defense.

--------Zlatan + Attackers + CM---------------Valencia

LB---------------------------------------------------------

This season
Lukaku, Shaw, and Valencia could all stretch the defense, changing the dynamic of our attack.

---------------------------Lukaku--------------------------------

Shaw-----------------Attackers + CM------------------Valencia

During one of our pre-season game, Lukaku didn't score but Jose said he was happy with his performance and he said something like "see it from another perspective". Basically Jose meant that Lukaku was able to stretch the defense.

So if Shaw|Valencia can put in a mediocre performance, say 7/10 performance on average, most of the time, which I think it is a reasonable expectation, it could change our dynamics in attack effectively. The direct outcome could be that our Attackers + CM would get more goals/assists.

And I think it's just not right that some ppl are saying "Lukaku is merely replacing Zlatan's goal". Soccer is a team game. So analyze it from top down, big picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.