Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Delighted to see him get his first senior goal. I enjoyed his interview with Sky afterwards, hopefully he can make that left back spot his own.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
This is my ideal solution for the season, with Dalot being phased in, whilst Young is our main RB - consigning Valencia to history.
The Valencia situation should have been solved a long time ago imo. Young can play on the right but Shaw first needs to show consistency and quality

stu_1992

He did well Friday. The best possibly start he could have made to this season really, and his first ever goal was a nice bonus on that. I expect he has at least 2 more games before Young is fit to start so he needs to continue to impress in that time and make sure he can hang onto that spot. Don't give any reason for him to lose it. Can he do it? I'm not so sure, but I'd like to see him do it.

Kostov

He should get a run of games and see where it gets him. Is his game ideal? Of course not, I am one of his bigger fans but I realize he must improve his aerial crossing, along with other aspect. Can he do it, I believe he can, since I rate him and believe he can be our LB long term. It's not like we have Marcelo waiting to get in the team, and that's not a slight on Young. We can benefit much more from Shaw's long term potential while Young can play RB, at least until Tony and Dalot return and we see where from there.

I think the vast majority of fans want to see him do well. It feels like a new start for him, and I hope he can nail it - sometimes it’s easy to forget how young he still is.

I hope he gives it everything he’s got, and if he doesn’t make it, at least he’s given it his best shot.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Aye but then saying this Liverpool scored from Robertson doing exactly what Shaw tries and so did City with Mendy cutting a ball back to the pen spot. They however did it at pace, on the counter and before the oppo had set up. We just don’t counter attack to exploit these kind of situations.

Shaw does need to get better at crossing this is for sure, the team also needs to get better at getting players in and around the box before teams set up to stop it.
You talk about counter attacking.
Jose's, previous teams, have been insanely good at counter attacking. Jose loves to use that tactic, which is why it is so bemusing that he hasn't insisted that our players learn to counter attack at pace.
What we currently when counter attacking is:
1, take the ball from our defence into midfield, at speed.
2, the crowd get riled, their heart rates and the noise volume go up.
3, the player on the ball, makes one pass from midfield, to our attack.
4, the attacker takes 2-3 strides forward.
5, he then stops, waits for the opposing defenders to get back in position, then continues the attack (maybe a cross into the box or direct pass to a player to shoot at goal) OR worse, he back passes.

It is infuriating to see our attackers completely unable to take a risk and shoot at goal, on a counter attack.
IMO, the attacker who does the back pass on a counter should be subbed either at half time or instantly, so the players learn that when we have a counter attacking opportunity, we need to take it. If we miss (or GK saves it), then so be it, but to do a back pass and kill our own counter attack is unforgivable.

I want to see more counter attacks, at pace, no over-thinking or back passing. On a counter, the ball should move at speed, in one direction, towards the goal.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He did well Friday. The best possibly start he could have made to this season really, and his first ever goal was a nice bonus on that. I expect he has at least 2 more games before Young is fit to start so he needs to continue to impress in that time and make sure he can hang onto that spot. Don't give any reason for him to lose it. Can he do it? I'm not so sure, but I'd like to see him do it.
IMO, Jose has already made his mind up about Shaw. He wants him gone.
When Young is fit, he will start and even if Shaw puts in 2 x MOTM performances, Young will still go straight back into the starting XI, when available.

Womp

idiot
Been in the camp of him being shipped off but he was great against Leicester. If he can keep those performances up then maybe LB isn't as pressing a concern after all.

Bwuk

Best he's played in a while. Won't get carried away by his words - Shaw has talked the talk before.

Let's hope he can kick on. I don't think talent is the issue with Shaw, it never has been.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You talk about counter attacking.
Jose's, previous teams, have been insanely good at counter attacking. Jose loves to use that tactic, which is why it is so bemusing that he hasn't insisted that our players learn to counter attack at pace.
What we currently when counter attacking is:
1, take the ball from our defence into midfield, at speed.
2, the crowd get riled, their heart rates and the noise volume go up.
3, the player on the ball, makes one pass from midfield, to our attack.
4, the attacker takes 2-3 strides forward.
5, he then stops, waits for the opposing defenders to get back in position, then continues the attack (maybe a cross into the box or direct pass to a player to shoot at goal) OR worse, he back passes.

It is infuriating to see our attackers completely unable to take a risk and shoot at goal, on a counter attack.
IMO, the attacker who does the back pass on a counter should be subbed either at half time or instantly, so the players learn that when we have a counter attacking opportunity, we need to take it. If we miss (or GK saves it), then so be it, but to do a back pass and kill our own counter attack is unforgivable.

I want to see more counter attacks, at pace, no over-thinking or back passing. On a counter, the ball should move at speed, in one direction, towards the goal.
Could be he just doesn't feel he has the right players to play that way?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Big game today. Be interesting to see how much he gets forward given Martial starting and not really known for his defensive work.

Come on Luke, keep it up!

sherrinford

Big game today. Be interesting to see how much he gets forward given Martial starting and not really known for his defensive work.

Come on Luke, keep it up!
What impact does Martial’s defensive work have on Shaw’s ability to get forward?

Ekeke

Had a decent game, I think Neville was right he had 10-20 mins that were tough against his winger at the start and then did well. Our only player able to win the ball at all and his shot setup Lukaku's goal.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Hopefully he can keep this up for the rest of the season. It's one less problem to worry about in team full of issues.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Honestly deserved to get another goal because nobody was looking like attacking the opponent more than him.

Unfortunately his effort will be covered with team's insulting display.

PvsNP

Decent performance, only player who didn't stink up the place.

Raw

Hope he continues like this, and I hope Dalot is an absolute revelation. Would be nice to have fullbacks that aren't trash.

marktan

Fat, lazy, bad attitude, not even good.

Playing exactly the way he was playing in Dec/Jan but then dropped for Young and half this thread was people wanting him out for the above reasons.

Coops73

Done ok but I’m wondering if doing ok is good enough anymore.

Idxomer

He did the best he could considering what he was surrounded with.

Alabaster Codify7

If he was our best peformer after that performance, it says how bad everyone else was.
This. It just goes to show the level of mediocrity we've started accepting.

If someone has a 6/10 performance, it's seen as a highlight as it's hard to remember the last time that player had a 6/10 showing.

I will say he was one of our better performers today, but was still average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.