Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Anyone think Demi Mitchell has a chance to compete with Shaw? Did very well at Hearts on loan.

jesperjaap

If I remember correctly, Shaw a couple of years ago, maybe last season or the year before, came top of these tests as well. Can we really read into it all?

I think majority of United fans would love Shaw to become our number 1 left-back and put in consistent high-level performances rather than signing another left-back for 40-50 odd million.

But in order to do that he needs to stay fit, he needs to be able to play in around 30 Premier League games per season now! His devastating injury was a few years ago , so he really needs to get over that. I have noticed when he does play, he still bombs forward on occasions but sometimes it appears he is hesitant to really go for it, maybe that injury is still stuck in his mind.

His crossing needs to improve too (same with 99% of our players in fact). The raw talent is there, if he can start to play regularly, then imagine a fully fit Shaw bombing down the left-wing, beating opponents for fun and delivering deadly crosses for Lukaku :drool:

Crazy that he only just turned 23 last week! He can still play for us at a high level, providing he turns turns things around, for a decade! This season will definitely be his last chance to prove himself, otherwise he will be shown the door and as much as I would be disappointed, it would be the right call and another left-back would be needed.
Agree with what you say. At the end of the day we dont see what happens behind closed doors but he gets slated by a lot of fans with being a flop and not good enough performance wise, yet under Mourinho he has never had a consistent run of opportunities, whether that is due to Young performing well or Mourinho having something against him we dont know. A lot of the things you are saying he needs to improve on could just be due to not getting match fitness from regular games. The games he has played, although he hasnt been great, he hasnt been awful either, certainly not to warrant some of th epublic slatings Mourinho has given him which I just dont understand how that helps anybody?

AP88

Supports
Man City
The more and more I watched him today, the more I found myself cheering him on like you would a fat bloke on a treadmill. I shouldn't be cheering on a United player like that...
Still looked a bit off the pace at times relative to other players. Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever be quite good enough, even with another season under his belt. Cut the losses now and sign Sandro or Tierney.
Agree, and I can’t help but feel he’s got stage fright - the pressure of having to be perfect for Jose seems to be burdening him. If he was told he is the leftback, like he was by Van Gaal circa this time 2015, he’d be relaxed and playing his natural game.....but sadly he has the handbrake on and looks rigid as a result.

I’d personally rather Tierney than Sandro - he fits the club’s identity, has great potential and doesn’t seem to be eclipsed by AS in any attribute other than experience.

Back to Shaw - not sure whether it’s the aforementioned lack of confidence or a larger issue, but his lack of competence in putting in decent crosses is alarming; he’s more dangerous on the underlap than on the outside. Perhaps he’d be better suited as a left-sided centreback of a 3 or even a two. He’s quick, strong, decent in the air, good one vs one, and can pass it out. Rojo and Blind are flawed, but Shaw could be a combination of the 2.

Dolf

One thing I noticed is that he still doesn't run back to defend when we get countered. He just jogs back and looks how our CB's try to fix the problem. I think that's why Mourinho likes Young, because he does do that.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We've heard this same story for few seasons now, it's always him trying to prove his worth. Till he has a setback, an injury or a knock at which point he loses his position only to never gain it back again. His fitness is an issue despite people saying otherwise, he never sustains his fitness level over the course of season. Hence, there invariably comes a point when he isn't even selected in the squad.

There is a world class LB available at peak of his powers in Alex Sandro, for €50m. A player who Juve would be willing to get rid due to number of transfers they have made this summer. We should be all over that and stop wasting our time thinking Shaw will fulfill his potential. Tuchel doesn't fancy PSG fullbacks and it wouldn't surprise me if they swooped in for Sandro and we'll be here again thinking why Ashley Young is still a first choice LB for us and why Shaw isn't getting a look-in.

Likes of Shaw, Martial, Herrera etc. will be dropped the moment likes of Young, Lukaku and Pogba are available for selection again. Unless they really start the season on fire.

luke511

One thing I noticed is that he still doesn't run back to defend when we get countered. He just jogs back and looks how our CB's try to fix the problem. I think that's why Mourinho likes Young, because he does do that.
I'd disagree with that, Young got caught out of position whilst jogging back casually countless times last season but I suppose this is a natural occurrence for an attacking full back.

MadMike

I just don't see it with him at United. Last two years have been just watching the inevitable unfold really really slowly. He's 11 months from walking away on a free and the club doesn't even seem interested in offering an extension.

He just needs to go for both the team's and his sake and maybe try to rediscover himself elsewhere. Somewhere under less pressure and scrutiny, somewhere when he can maybe rebuild his hunger and his confidence.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I just don't see it with him at United. Last two years have been just watching the inevitable unfold really really slowly. He's 11 months from walking away on a free and the club doesn't even seem interested in offering an extension.

He just needs to go for both the team's and his sake and maybe try to rediscover himself elsewhere. Somewhere under less pressure and scrutiny, somewhere when he can maybe rebuild his hunger and his confidence.

I agree, but, Not much we can do if he refuses to move. The prospect of a big sign-on fee next summer, is of course tempting to him, and he is not exactly on pennies here.

MadMike

I agree, but, Not much we can do if he refuses to move. The prospect of a big sign-on fee next summer, is of course tempting to him, and he is not exactly on pennies here.
I think even from a financial perspective he should be playing the long rather than the short game.

He's 23, he needs to be playing and making a name for himself if he's ever going to scale the heights again. By sitting out another year on United's bench just to collect his 100k pw paycheck, he's jeopardising that future. He's starting to strike me as someone who feels he hit the jackpot with his first contract and is happy to sit on that, instead of having the drive for a long successful career. He could have asked to go on loan even.

I'm not sure who's gonna offer him that big sign-on fee next summer. The lad hasn't played proper football in 3 years. He'll be lucky if a PL club even looks at him.

And yes, I don't think there's anything we can do here really. Shame, it seems like a complete write-off of 60-odd million by the club.

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think even from a financial perspective he should be playing the long rather than the short game.

He's 23, he needs to be playing and making a name for himself if he's ever going to scale the heights again. By sitting out another year on United's bench just to collect his 100k pw paycheck, he's jeopardising that future. His starting to strike me as someone who feels he hit the jackpot with his first contract and is happy to sit on that, instead of having the drive for a long successful career. He could have asked to go on loan even.

I'm not sure who's gonna offer him that big sign-on fee next summer. The lad hasn't played proper football in 3 years. He'll be lucky if a PL club even looks at him.

And yes, I don't think there's anything we can do here really. Shame, it seems like a complete write-off of 60-odd million by the club.
I don't think he will lack interest next summer, unless he gets a bad injury or something. The guy is very talented naturally, maybe he lacks the mental aspect to be great, but he will still interest a lot of clubs because of his profile. But yeah, his Utd career looks to be heading down a dead-end for him. Could be that football isn't that important to him, and he is more motivated by the money in it.

Chairman Steve

If Shaw is going to be the first choice LB and finally live up to his potential this season, then I’d give him the Utd Player Of The Year trophy now because that would be an incredible turnaround. I’d love for it to happen but I can’t see it coming true.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The more and more I watched him today, the more I found myself cheering him on like you would a fat bloke on a treadmill. I shouldn't be cheering on a United player like that...
That's cruel.
You wicked wicked man.

:lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't think he will lack interest next summer, unless he gets a bad injury or something. The guy is very talented naturally, maybe he lacks the mental aspect to be great, but he will still interest a lot of clubs because of his profile. But yeah, his Utd career looks to be heading down a dead-end for him. Could be that football isn't that important to him, and he is more motivated by the money in it.
He was put on the market this Summer. The only club interested in him was Everton. Nobody else was. Shaw, btw, turned down Everton and has chosen to sit on our bench.
I do agree, that on a free transfer, there will be takers, but if you want to "sell him for money", it could be tricky.
Personally, I don't think he enjoys football enough to give it his all, which is why we see his weight yo-yo'ing.
Somebody quite reightly pointed out that Rooney (who has been called all sorts of names), got out of shape in his mid-20s. Shaw has achieved that in his early 20s. In fact, I think when he first turned up at Old Trafford, he was fat. LVG said that while he was in such poor shape, he would not play for him, which is why even LVG (a man who ALWAYS gives youth a chance), did not play him.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He was put on the market this Summer. The only club interested in him was Everton. Nobody else was. Shaw, btw, turned down Everton and has chosen to sit on our bench.
I do agree, that on a free transfer, there will be takers, but if you want to "sell him for money", it could be tricky.
Personally, I don't think he enjoys football enough to give it his all, which is why we see his weight yo-yo'ing.
Somebody quite reightly pointed out that Rooney (who has been called all sorts of names), got out of shape in his mid-20s. Shaw has achieved that in his early 20s. In fact, I think when he first turned up at Old Trafford, he was fat. LVG said that while he was in such poor shape, he would not play for him, which is why even LVG (a man who ALWAYS gives youth a chance), did not play him.
Very good post.

Trophy Room

:lol: Didn't LVG call it Luke Shaw's season just before he got injured? He's 23 years old mate, he's still fecking learning how to live life. People mature at different ages. In the summer prior to the season he got injured, he used a significant proportion of the summer to get in shape, he appears to have done a similar thing this season. Looks like he gives a feck to me! I can forgive him for having self doubt after he broke his leg, any young player will find it difficult to rediscover form after such a devastating injury. What I think he really needs to work on however is delivery into the box. If he can do that he'll be devastating.

Ps: The lad has never been fat.

Aloysius's Back 3

What if he simply isn't that good? I didn't see him at Southampton - yet even though I wanted him to succeed here; he never impressed me even for 2 games in a row.
Due to that my expectations of him have never been high - I just simply think he isn't that good.

Moiraine

What if he simply isn't that good? I didn't see him at Southampton - yet even though I wanted him to succeed here; he never impressed me even for 2 games in a row.
Due to that my expectations of him have never been high - I just simply think he isn't that good.
Did he impress you before Leg Injury ?

Moiraine

I didn't watch him at Southampton - but I wasn't particularly all that impressed with his performances - more the fact that he was where he was - ie at United at his age.
I mean to say after he signed for United until he got injured in Europe. He played certain games, did you follow him ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Tired of people going on about those 4 or 5 games against teams like Club Brugge and PSV. They prove absolutely nothing. Even Depay looked great for us back then. He was unfit the season before and he still has it all to prove now.

Moiraine

he never impressed me even for 2 games in a row.
Tired of people going on about those 4 or 5 games against teams like Club Brugge and PSV. They prove absolutely nothing. Even Depay looked great for us back then. He was unfit the season before and he still has it all to prove now.
I guess You didn't catch the whole argument i guess, that was what I wanted to clarify.
And just clarify ... not starting a debate :D

CA1

I wish people would stop obssessing over Luke Shaw's weight.

It's not even in his top 5 problems. He doesn't read the game, he can't put in a decent cross, he doesn't read potential overlaps, he's terrible at tracking runners and he's not particularly strong in a 1 v 1.

Ironically his only positive attributes are physical. He's quick when he gets in a stride and he's quite strong shoulder to shoulder.

It's a no from me. Not good enough.

devil in me

Luke Shaw is the second coming of Anderson, he really is;

-'Big season for him coming up, last chance for him'
-'He just needs a run of games'
-Hardly plays due to injury/out of favour
-comments/jokes on his weight for the whole season
-Repeat

laughtersassassin

His talent that he showed in the leg break season seems gone tbh. Same problem as our other fullbacks in that he offers little going forward.

Raw

Luke Shaw is the second coming of Anderson, he really is;

-'Big season for him coming up, last chance for him'
-'He just needs a run of games'
-Hardly plays due to injury/out of favour
-comments/jokes on his weight for the whole season
-Repeat
How have I not realised this sooner :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I wish people would stop obssessing over Luke Shaw's weight.

It's not even in his top 5 problems. He doesn't read the game, he can't put in a decent cross, he doesn't read potential overlaps, he's terrible at tracking runners and he's not particularly strong in a 1 v 1.

Ironically his only positive attributes are physical. He's quick when he gets in a stride and he's quite strong shoulder to shoulder.

It's a no from me. Not good enough.
Hard to refute that. I think people like him because he's quite attacking but I'm not convinced myself.

Hoping he proves me wrong this season of course.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
He looks a mid-table Prem player - at best. An upgrade at left-back should be a higher priority than signing another CB, Shaw offers absolutely nothing other than being a (slightly cumbersome) extra body on the pitch.

Roboc7

Don’t think his weight is the real problem, real issue is he isn’t that good on the ball. That was area of his game that needed improving when he signed and it just hasn’t happened. He just doesn’t have the passing or crossing ability that you need at a top side to be first choice.

Don’t see this season being any different to the last one for him and assume he will leave on a free next summer.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There will be very little interest in him at any of the top level clubs tbh - best he could hope for is a mid-table/lower table premier league club willing to take a punt on him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's shite.

"but... but... he played well for 5 games 3 years ago..."

"leg break"

"Mourinho bullies him"

Bullshit. He's shite. West Ham player if I've ever seen one. Fellaini has had far far FAR more better games for United than Luke Shaw ever has, think about that for a second, cause Fellaini has no business at our club either.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He'll go to a Newcastle/Everton (if they've not signed Digne) type club.

Status
Not open for further replies.