Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My problem with Shaw is that i compare him with other top left backs in the world. First choice Man Utd player must be top top level. If Shaw is rotation player then i would be delighted to have him because he is a good player. But he is not level of Alaba, Marcelo, Alba, Sandro...he is not giving enough in attack. In defence he is good, very good in fact but in attack not that much. We can say what we want for Young but Young offers much more in attack. He is always there, can beat a player and offers a lot.
I know that we have other positions to solve this summer but IF one of top left backs becomes available we should try to sign him.

Meep

I really like the good Shaw. Like the energetic run setting up Lingards goal and such. But I still feel he isn't at 100% fitness. He looks a bit sluggish and big. Would be great if he could get back to some serious professional fitness level then I think he would really start to shine. It makes you wonder when Shaw, Lukaku and Valencia look that big under the eye of Uniteds coaches and fitness team.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Usually i have clear view on every our player but with him i just can't decide. Looks excellent sometimes and then looks average. That jogging back when Auba had ball was bad as it gets. And can someone tell me; is he quick or slow? I have a feeling that he is slow for full back.
He got winded, and then managed to win the ball back which ended up in a goal.

RedDevil@84

Shaw has been competing with almost no one for years now. He needs to have some competition so that he could be a bit more motivated about his spot.
Not sure if we need to buy a good LB or have someone from the academy, but we need to see some competition there.

Aloysius's Back 3

I never saw shaw for southampton - so i was a bit worried about his transfer.

I think he is a strong player for the squad but needs competition. Cant be the one and only LB we have.

Get Tierney & wan bissaka. Have shaw & dalot all competing.

Get rid of young & valencia.

Litch

So glad he's now playing a run of games. Would be great to see more of him contributing in the attacking third and more assists. This is what separates him from the top full backs in the prem....

Man Utd 2:2 Burnley

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is so (below) average it's painful to watch. He brings literally nothing. Even when he gets the ball in attacking position his first touch is bringing the ball backwards.

Aloysius's Back 3

Getting tired of him -

Has all the space to play all along the left channel - but plays inwards like a midfielder instead.

As always - his problem is that he doesn't provide the width we need from our fullbacks.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Just nothing in the final third. Has he completed a cross in his United career?

Frank Grimes

There was a moment in the second half where he was standing 5 yards from Matic looking to receive the ball. Matic played the ball out wide of him as much as to say this is where you should be you dope. He has zero positional awareness.

el3mel

Am I allowed to criticize him or I'll be labelled agenda driven ? Just making sure before posting.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has a few good moments in each game, either defensively or maybe a decent run or even a nice pass. His overall contribution is very limited and he seems to lack the things we expect a fullback to be good at. He plays like a U21 midfielder covering for us on the left back.

Eddy_JukeZ

His(and Young's) delivery in the final 3rd is atrocious.

Much better is required.

Devil may care

He started off ok but once we were camped in their half he struggled with the tempo we were playing at and contributed very little to our attacking efforts.

marktan

I think he's a very good player that can get better. Not as productive as someone like say Marcelo or Robertson, but he's a very good footballer technically. I think he helps our all round build up play, and I think attacking wise he still has a level to go up. He used to make more runs pre leg break. He had a very good run against Arsenal that led to Lukaku assisting Lingard.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pretty much offers nothing going forward. And him taking corners is just pure banter, no idea who thought it's a good idea.

Mick321

Really woeful going forward, can't be carrying that at full back. Not these days.

Ekeke

Pretty much offers nothing going forward. And him taking corners is just pure banter, no idea who thought it's a good idea.
4 key passes joint most in the team with Mata. 3 crosses that found a teammate, 3 times as many as any other player in the team. 1 dribble, only Matic had more

Kostov

He was one of our best players in the first half, second half he sunk in the shitfest we created as a team. If he does not improve we will upgrade on him eventually. At the moment our right side is atrocious, RB and RW required ASAP.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
4 key passes joint most in the team with Mata. 3 crosses that found a teammate, 3 times as many as any other player in the team. 1 dribble, only Matic had more
Does that mean he was good going forward? I don't remember him putting in one great cross today and he had a lot of space. Mata was poor too, but that's a different thread.

izec

His problem isnt passing, his problems are overlapping runs and dangerous crosses. He just stands too often on the left side having no clue what to do. Gives it to Pogba or Martial and hopes for the best, especially if the area is crowded. It is just wasted potential. No coordination or any sort of chemistry between him and whoever is on the left in front of him, they just improvise, usually poor and the opposition reads it easily.

mu4c_20le

Does that mean he was good going forward? I don't remember him putting in one great cross today and he had a lot of space. Mata was poor too, but that's a different thread.
Well it means he contributed quite a bit offensively, so in a sense yeah..

Skills

Snitch
Thought he was easily our best player in the first half.

Falters a bit as the game goes on though, and when we're just pumping the ball into the box aimlessly he doesn't seem to be confident enough in his crossing to do that (a la Young). I reckon he would've been better if everyone else didn't just lose there shit, and just tried to play some football instead.

Ekeke

I think it means he was better going forward than our other fullback, easily. And we had a performance where there werent many good performances going forward. I would say he was okay going forward. And good defensively other than getting caught out of position leading up to the 2nd goal.

For example Young put 13 crosses into the box and 1 of them reached a teammate. So Shaw's 3 that found a teammate out of 5 could be worse.

E-mal

He is a second choice full back at best but an expensive one considering his wage.
And when you look at his body build, it is unlikely he is going to do well as a second choice with regards to keeping his fitness.

Ekeke

His problem isnt passing, his problems are overlapping runs and dangerous crosses. He just stands too often on the left side having no clue what to do. Gives it to Pogba or Martial and hopes for the best, especially if the area is crowded. It is just wasted potential. No coordination or any sort of chemistry between him and whoever is on the left in front of him, they just improvise, usually poor and the opposition reads it easily.
Its because all our players want to use that space on the left.

Today Rashford picks the ball up on the left, Pogba makes a run down the left past him so Shaw has to do something else. So at times he's making under lapping runs in the middle.

At other times, Pogba picked up the left side position and found Shaw with balls in behind on the overlap. I think its fair to say the Pogba and Shaw combination happened today more than it usually happens with our left winger + Shaw. Because Pogba actually wants to play him in not just use him as a dummy run every single time.

Mcking

He made four key passes, completed three crosses both of which were the most in the team, and he was the only one that completed more than one cross. Made one dribble too, only Matic made more. Two clearances and two interceptions, behind only Lindelof and Matic respectively.

deafepl

I thought Shaw was really good, especially in the first half and defended so well, he could have assist if Brighton is bad at defending, but they defended so brilliantly.

Terminator

He is brilliant technically and does everything well apart from the final ball. Has to improve in that aspect.

Rossa

He is just bang average. As @Terminator said, he is great technically, but then nothing happens. In the second half, he had 40 yards to run into, Phil Feckin Bardsley as the only attacker, and he turned the ball back to Matic. He could he pushed the ball 30 yards ahead and easily beat Bardsley in a foot race - 40 year old Giggs had a prime Bardsley beaten for pace in a foot race, but a 23 yeard old Shaw turns back and recycles possession in the 85th minute against he 33 year old Bardsley. Pisses me off. I don't expect fullbacks to take on their players, but for fecks sake.

Renegade

I feel like this is his ceiling. His okay. Just not going to be top quality. Evra from 06-11 owned that complete left side. Even without the best final ball. Why is Shaw on corners by the way?

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I feel like this is his ceiling. His okay. Just not going to be top quality. Evra from 06-11 owner thag complete left side. Even without the best final ball. Why is Shaw on corners by the way?
We mostly play it short so it does not matter that much who is on corners.

El Jefe

He's so shite going forward its unreal. He has arguably the best midfield passer in the world feeding him balls into space game after game yet he does feck all with it. Cannot cross to save his life and is equally rubbish at cutbacks.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's so shite going forward its unreal. He has arguably the best midfield passer in the world feeding him balls into space game after game yet he does feck all with it. Cannot cross to save his life and is equally rubbish at cutbacks.
We have the same issue on both sides....

Status
Not open for further replies.