Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Complacent after signing new contract. Attacking wise offers so little, but I will admit lack of energy and ability to control the midfield does him no favours getting up the pitch as we will be quickly caught on the break.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To be 50:50 in games against those teams you need your 2-3 best players showing up and leading the charge, lifting the game. Tonight Pogba, Martial and Rashford were pocketed and frankly invisible. Thilo Kehrer a CB by trade just played RB for PSG against us. Luke Shaw wasn’t the problem tonight nor at present time. We have much more glaring needs than upgrading on Shaw in the near future.
Look, Shaw is what he is now. He will not be better. Or worse. He is a player who will do his job in defence against most teams and in attack he will not offer much. Even against smaller teams at OT he is not doing much. True, world class full back will be in attack against those teams all the time. Look at Alba, Marcelo, Carvajal, Juve's both full backs... they are there. All the time. Crossing, beating their man and overlapping.
Shaw does that one or two times per game. His crossing is average at best and he can't beat his man. He is just defensive full back. Excellent defensive full back. But is that enough for Man Utd?

To be clear here. I want him in club but he should be backup option for some world class full back

Kostov

Look, Shaw is what he is now. He will not be better. Or worse. He is a player who will do his job in defence against most teams and in attack he will not offer much. Even against smaller teams at OT he is not doing much. True, world class full back will be in attack against those teams all the time. Look at Alba, Marcelo, Carvajal, Juve's both full backs... they are there. All the time. Crossing, beating their man and overlapping.
Shaw does that one or two times per game. His crossing is average at best and he can't beat his man. He is just defensive full back. Excellent defensive full back. But is that enough for Man Utd?
Untill we buy a starting RB, RW, CB and CDM, Shaw can do. Even then the same questions being posed for Shaw can be put forward for the other CB and even Herrera. So I hope you get my point. Shaw isn’t ideal, but he’s a pretty solid LB for the time being.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Untill we buy a starting RB, RW, CB and CDM, Shaw can do. Even then the same questions being posed for Shaw can be put forward for the other CB and even Herrera. So I hope you get my point. Shaw isn’t ideal, but he’s a pretty solid LB for the time being.
Exactly that

arthurka

Couldnt we get someone like Cresswell or someone like that who can attack and flog Shaw the other way? He isnt close to being good enough.

RedStarUnited

He has the worst body shape when receiving passes. He is always angled or facing the wrong way for us which means it takes him like 2/3 touches to face forward again

NinjaFletch

A bit like Jones he's another player who has managed to earn aong United career by virtue of not playing much football. Now we're seeing an extended amount of him I think it's fairly clear he's not quite up to scratch.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’ve said for months he’s not very good and I still maintain he’s not very good.

Terrible going forward
Average defender

Would love a more attacking fullback

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
A bit like Jones he's another player who has managed to earn aong United career by virtue of not playing much football. Now we're seeing an extended amount of him I think it's fairly clear he's not quite up to scratch.
Pretty much this.

Unfortunately, he will be our starting left back for a while till we sort out transfer in more pressing positions. More time to assess him, more time for him to prove his worth by trying to improve his offensive contributions.

Irwin99

Just....missing something and I can't make up my mind about him. He's certainly not bad, and has got some good qualities but you just want more from a modern full back. He did ok tonight and has been decent this season but we need him to go up a level.

arthurka

Chillwell is not any better
I dont agree think he is miles better, at least going forward. He really bombs up and down all game long and has some really good link ups doing so.
His crossing and passing are much better. Plus he can beat a man.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Can someone enlighten me, why the hell does he tuck in so far? He's practically playing as a CB most time the opposition winger gets the ball in an advanced position.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Too chunky to play fullback, now he’s filled out; he was still a baby when he was bursting forward at Southampton circa 2014. Should be tried out at centreback alongside Lindelof with Dalot leftback - better footballer and natural defender than Bailly and Jones, plus better in the air than both.

Aloysius's Back 3

Shaw is not an attacker & when he does he tends to cut in much more than hug the touchline.

I want to just give up on defending & see a player like sessegnon to be our LWB.

I want a player as a wingback that is a complete hassle when he attacks.

We don't have a single winger at the club except a past it Sanchez & no one can provide width.

I actually think Dalot & sessegnon as wingbacks match each other quite well.

Eddy_JukeZ

Can someone enlighten me, why the hell does he tuck in so far? He's practically playing as a CB most time the opposition winger gets the ball in an advanced position.
No idea. It was frustrating. He was nowhere near Alves on the chance that led to the corner to their 1st goal.

Eddy_JukeZ

Why does he casually jog for the ball instead of actually busting his gut?

I remember someone on here mentioning that. When you pay attention to Shaw, he rarely fully sprints.

Eddy_JukeZ

One of the differences between him and Alba is how often Alba sprints to overlap and force overload on the side of the field, whereas, Luke runs and jogs to occupy the same position.
Unfortunately the truth.

He's miles off the quality we need at LB to compete in Europe.

LeftyBlaster

People criticising him tonight need to realise that without Martial ahead of him and Sanchez tucking infield all the damn time it left PSG plenty of opportunity to overload. People are always so over critical.

SiRed

He has the worst body shape when receiving passes. He is always angled or facing the wrong way for us which means it takes him like 2/3 touches to face forward again
I have noticed this. He never runs onto a pass. Always receives it square on. Not a massive problem but it does slow down our attacks many times a game.

Fracture90

One of the better players, was very good defensively but he really gotta work on his attacking aspect of the game. He often seems unwilling to overlap up front or he doesn't know how because I've noticed sometimes it takes for Pogba or Martial to signal it to him to run in the area.

soapythecat

Shaw is ok. I’d be pretty pissed if we bought a LB this summer if RB, RW, CB and Midfield positions weren’t strengthened first.
Last night highlighted many weak positions. LB is not near the top of the list.

el3mel

Everytime I've watched him he looks suspect defensively
Marcelo is a suspect defensively too.

Football has moved on from these defensive fullback which many here can't get. You can't be just decent defensively and be content with it as enough. All teams now have offensive fullback that overlap and cross the entire game and lessen the burden on the winger of same flank. They are an integral part of any team attack except in United where they are hopeless beyond the midline.

Accepting to have a decent defensive fullback with nothing going forward and keep saying every match "oh one of our better performances", "oh what a great season", "oh one of his best match" is an indication you are accepting mediocrity and being super content with it. It's no different from saying Lingard is good because he moves a lot and Young is decent because he works hard and great servent etc. All these scream mediocrity for me.

He was pretty much his usual self, ok but nothing special. He gets forward but seems so reluctant to do anything when he gets there and defensively sometimes you're looking at an opposition attack thinking where the f is he. Our left flank isnt the immediate problem though, we need to sort the right out first.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
May be buy attacking right back and give him much more license to go forward with Shaw being slightly more defensive to offer more balance in defense.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just an average player unfortunately. Defensively he lets his winger cross the ball at freedom and doesn't even attempt to challenge them, and attacking wise he gives us nothing since his injury. I would love to be an opposing attacker on his side.

youngrell

Got old-manned by Alves last night.

Looked nervous and tentative throughout, barely attempted anything resembling an attack. Disappointing but will learn from this, hopefully.

Needs more courage.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The main thing that I don't like about him is whenever he gets the ball he stops moving. To pass he stands still, to cross he stands still. He doesn't travel with the ball which allows people to shut him down too quickly and it slows the game down. I think his Stamina is still an issue unfortunately, but I don't think he's ever going to be a Cole/Evra or even Robertson in that sense.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It has to be tactical no ? I mean it is something he does very often, I mean Young does it too on the other side

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It has to be tactical no ? I mean it is something he does very often, I mean Young does it too on the other side
I guess. But I dont think i've seen a full back so consistently in field as Shaw. He did it under Jose too.

Status
Not open for further replies.