Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

The guy offers nothing. The day he gets replaced the day our football gets better. Too many fans can’t see he’s damn awful.

acnumber9

Yeah he had a shite game, it happens. Yeah there's better left backs out there, for sure. But when are you lot gonna realise that he's the least of our problems right now?
When are you going to stop ignoring the host of people pointing out that we have bigger problems? It doesn’t mean Shaw isn’t fat, lazy and questionably not good enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still think he's a good footballer. That was an uncharacteristic error by him. Does need to work on his attacking play but he's a good LB IMO. Just needs to go that extra step now to be one of the best. Up to him really, crossing or final third passing can be improved upon.

Marcelinho87

I still think he's a good footballer. That was an uncharacteristic error by him. Does need to work on his attacking play but he's a good LB IMO. Just needs to go that extra step now to be one of the best. Up to him really, crossing or final third passing can be improved upon.
Error insinuating it wasn't on purpose?

What I see from the clip is sheer lack of effort, very much a can't be bothered attitude.

But I am in agreement there is bigger problems and while he isn't great he does a decent job so he would survive this cull, for me at least.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Error insinuating it wasn't on purpose?

What I see from the clip is sheer lack of effort, very much a can't be bothered attitude.

But I am in agreement there is bigger problems and while he isn't great he does a decent job so he would survive this cull, for me at least.
Haven't gone back to the clip. From my memory it just seemed a half hearted/complacent attempt to clear the ball. It's something that does happened to very good defenders too.

Personally I've liked Shaw's season. Granted we are impressed by very little this season, but Shaw has developed hugely during 18/19. Barring the last few games he was putting our 8/10 peformances regularly - showcasing impressive defensive abilities and well as a solid contribution in the buildup - which in our current predicament I'm fine with. Obviously if he starts slacking on a regular basis, he would be another problem on our hands.

Regardless of all of the above he has to improve his attacking output. If he could cross and make vital passes in the final third, it would help our left flank and it's potency hugely.

spe88

He doesn't get forward enough for me, whether that's because of Jose drilling it in to him to stay back, a lack of movement in front of him, or just pure fitness levels.

As others have said, he deserves another season just because of the other problems elsewhere in the team.

Frank Grimes

He actually doesn't know when he should be making a forward run or not. Brainless. Also his physical condition is a joke for a professional footballer, this is the reason he is breathing out of his arse after half an hour and he can never sustain a good performance even when he starts well.

He also picked up a 2 game ban after 10 yellow cards and again I feel this is either because of his positional deficiencies or his conditioning, or even both.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm not his biggest fan but I find yesterday's 'mistake' a bit unfair on him.

Our whole defence was misaligned - alot of them in the other half and our whole team got cut through by one kick by the goal keeper.

The kick went through everyone and only shaw was even positioned right enough to atleast make an effort to get the ball. The ball bounced awkwardly before him and went away from him.

The poor defensive line and positioning from a goal kick is signs of poor coaching and team balance set by Ole.

Raven

Thought he was poor yesterday, I can forgive his mistake, even the best players make mistakes. What I'm really annoyed about was him ignoring Chongs run every fecking time, he's gotten himself into a good positing, but Shaw literally looked and passed inside.

That being said, I think between Shaw Lindelof and Pogba, we have our player of the season. He's generally been outstanding this season, and this is one of very few bad games, definitely does not need replacing.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like Shaw, but I think we need to upgrade on him. Problem is, half of the team needs upgrading and Shaw is low on the shit that needs replacing. Think we have to take into account that it's his first full season for us, so hopefully he's one of the players that can improve.

Hawks2008

Definitely need another LB. Shaw isn't the worst player we have, but he does not deserve the LB spot all to himself.

nesty

Rooney always got stick because of his frame. Shaw on the other hand looks physically fat.

Unfortunately we don't have a capable left back to compete for the spot so we're going to have to seriously consider buying again in the summer.

clarkydaz

Rooney always got stick because of his frame. Shaw on the other hand looks physically fat.

Unfortunately we don't have a capable left back to compete for the spot so we're going to have to seriously consider buying again in the summer.
you wonder what he will be like in 2 years time, this is him young.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Look at my left back.
He looks like he smokes 60 a day. His fitness has been woeful under 3 managers now, both van Gaal and Jose called him out on it but he’s done sod all about it.

Irwin99

He's improved a lot and at least he's not as injured as he used to be but he needs to keep improving even more. Things like general fitness, be better going forward, and his discipline and concentration. Seriously, it seemed all the bookings he got this year were for the exact same foul...the body check.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He looks like he smokes 60 a day. His fitness has been woeful under 3 managers now, both van Gaal and Jose called him out on it but he’s done sod all about it.
Do you not think its because until this season he's never really played a proper season for years now. He's dropped off in the last month or so and I just think he's genuinely tired because of that fact.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I an not interested at the moment in the players who burst themselves when things are going well. I want to see the guys that work when we're in the shit. We're in the shit. He's not working.

tomaldinho1

Does our canteen just sell fast food or something? We're starting to develop a history of chubby players

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Could be fitter but I’m happy with him being our left back going forward. Certainly more pressing issues.

RuudTom83

He should be weighed before the summer and fined heavily if he doesn't return lighter!

TsuWave

Does our canteen just sell fast food or something? We're starting to develop a history of chubby players
I remember an old Pique interview that when he got back to Barcelona it was night and day in regards to nutrition at the club. He said at United the players were eating all kinds of fecked up shit like beers and burger and allowed stuff like ketchup and chocolate iirc, while at Barcelona they were strict about what you ate and stuff. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit - I think this is it or part of it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...and-burgers-claims-Gerard-Pique-Football.html

ti vu

I remember an old Pique interview that when he got back to Barcelona it was night and day in regards to nutrition at the club. He said at United the players were eating all kinds of fecked up shit like beers and burger and allowed stuff like ketchup and chocolate iirc, while at Barcelona they were strict about what you ate and stuff. I’ll see if I can find it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...and-burgers-claims-Gerard-Pique-Football.html
Remind me of Rio's incident under Moyes regarding chip ritual.

All in all of our problem is that we were run in different model. SAF via his authority held everything together. Him retiring was too much a change, and this team can't cope without him while indulging themselves with a less strict diet. Wenger at one time was said to be a revolutionary when it comes to the change of Arsenal strict diet.

Remember how SAF often said about he looks for signings first about characters. His style of management meant he would pre filter unsuited character first. He didn't place strict diet on players, but provoked voluntary cooperations. You have to have some good professionalism to begin with. He got things wrong form time to time, but the success as it showed far overshadowed the bad. We just bought players with wrong mentality to begin with. Maintaining same condition looks like letting hell breaking loose.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Do you not think its because until this season he's never really played a proper season for years now. He's dropped off in the last month or so and I just think he's genuinely tired because of that fact.
Could well be but there’s no excuse for the beer belly he’s got. You can be lacking minutes/sharpness etc, but being a professional footballer with access to the best facilities money can buy, and still having the body of a truck driver from Ipswich is criminal.

Aloysius's Back 3

The only way I see Shaw being good enough for United is if our tactics require a defensive wingback that starts further up the field.

Then it also makes sense to get Wan bissaka to do the same on the other side.

He has never been good at attacking or crossing and if that's what we want then we need a new one possibly in a seasons time.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’s a good player, just not well equipped to play leftback anymore; he’s like Gareth Barry, who also started wide until his naturally bulky adult frame made it impossible for him to sustain the agility required over a full game, so he moved into the anchor role. Perhaps that’s the future for Shaw - he’s got a good touch and a decent short passing game, so phasing him into an anchoring position might just validate his contract, because he’s simply not productive enough out wide. Liverpool compensate for a lack of quality in midfield with two productive fullbacks, and that’s likely the best route for United to take.

Tierney and Dalot could be decent in that regard initially, with Williams and Laird factored in over the next couple of years too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s a good player, just not well equipped to play leftback anymore; he’s like Gareth Barry, who also started wide until his naturally bulky adult frame made it impossible for him to sustain the agility required over a full game, so he moved into the anchor role. Perhaps that’s the future for Shaw - he’s got a good touch and a decent short passing game, so phasing him into an anchoring position might just validate his contract, because he’s simply not productive enough out wide. Liverpool compensate for a lack of quality in midfield with two productive fullbacks, and that’s likely the best route for United to take.

Tierney and Dalot could be decent in that regard initially, with Williams and Laird factored in over the next couple of years too.
I actually mentioned this a few days ago.

I think he's a very good footballer especially under pressure, and his quick acceleration/strength will help him beat the press. He's shown to have an eye for a pass also, I think he could make a decent LCM or CDM.

He just doesn't have the stamina or crossing ability to be a world class fullback. Compare him to the best like Alba, Alaba, Robertson, Marcelo etc. He just lacks that end product that I doubt he will ever get. He doesn't seem the type to stay behind and practise whipping in crosses.

tomaldinho1

Yh - I assume we've improved since then but I suspect we're still lightyears behind. There was an interview the other day (Skysports, G Nev talking about Lukaku being overweight) where he said they'd be rigged up to machines and testing body fat back in his day so maybe it's just our standards are way behind OR our sports science team just isn't tht good.

Or, and sadly I believe there is some truth in this, everyone is, to some degree, doping and we're just crap at it

Marcelinho87

Yh - I assume we've improved since then but I suspect we're still lightyears behind. There was an interview the other day (Skysports, G Nev talking about Lukaku being overweight) where he said they'd be rigged up to machines and testing body fat back in his day so maybe it's just our standards are way behind OR our sports science team just isn't tht good.

Or, and sadly I believe there is some truth in this, everyone is, to some degree, doping and we're just crap at it
Nah as a club we're stuck in the 90's early 00's while everybody else has flown ahead we have stagnated...

Going to take years upon years to fix this and a change at the top.

Bwuk

He’s just not got it in him to be a starter at a top side.

Renegade

He’s okay. Nothing more and nothing less. Gets a pass because others are stinking out the place. You only have to see how threatening the Fullbacks for the top clubs are. Trent probably creates more in mine game than Shaw does all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.