Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

The key is “player of the year” it’s his contribution over the year and for many months he was solid and very good. No doubt the last game he played his effort level was shocking through out the whole game but goes to show how quick people are to forget the absolute rock he was for us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The key is “player of the year” it’s his contribution over the year and for many months he was solid and very good. No doubt the last game he played his effort level was shocking through out the whole game but goes to show how quick people are to forget the absolute rock he was for us.
I disagree, but our standards this season are quite low to be honest

Aloysius's Back 3

Shaw is good enough to be at United even if he isn't good enough to have no competition at the LB spot.

The thing that worries me the most is that the Shaw at Southampton and in particular the Shaw pre leg break was hardly that good. Yet alot of people wished he was like that. Like what exactly?

Andersons Dietician

Shaw is good enough to be at United even if he isn't good enough to have no competition at the LB spot.

The thing that worries me the most is that the Shaw at Southampton and in particular the Shaw pre leg break was hardly that good. Yet alot of people wished he was like that. Like what exactly?
Huh? He got in team of the year and was an absolute menace going at people for Southampton, not really his fault they couldn’t finish anything. He was far more creative and attacking at Southampton than what we have seen here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah nobody can really have any complaints about Shaw not being in. There's about 6-7 left backs in the league that are without a doubt better than him, then probably another 5ish that are on the same level as him (and most of those are better in the attack). So being between the 7th and 14th best left back in the league is pretty much firmly mid table level. I really don't think he's much more than that. At the same time, not quite a problem position yet because he can improve, and most of the players would only be smaller incremental improvements rather than a big change (like what literally any right back or right winger would be). So bigger problems to fix, but if we get a RB, RW, CMx2 and CB this summer (unlikely), then the LB, LW and ST positions are all under threat for next summer.

sherrinford

Except it isn't a joke and he clearly doesn't look fit.
Remarks about his fitness are made all the time on here but they seem to be entirely baseless. He ‘looks’ unfit - whatever ‘unfit’ looks like - yet his performances over the course of last season generally showed otherwise.

Raven

Remarks about his fitness are made all the time on here but they seem to be entirely baseless. He ‘looks’ unfit - whatever ‘unfit’ looks like - yet his performances over the course of last season generally showed otherwise.
Yep. Idiots everywhere.

meamth

Except it isn't a joke and he clearly doesn't look fit.
....Yeah. You clearly a fitness trainer in the real world. Good stuff mate.

Maybe everyone needs to have a body like CR7 to be considered fit then. I've learned a lot, thanks.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Improving the balance of ours, especially defending-wise, is crucial to get the best out of him. He showed under Mourinho at the beginning of last season he can be useful going forwards. As it stands he has to worry about what's behind him.

Skills

Snitch
Improving the balance of ours, especially defending-wise, is crucial to get the best out of him. He showed under Mourinho at the beginning of last season he can be useful going forwards. As it stands he has to worry about what's behind him.
I mentioned a few months ago how we might be better if we swapped Pogba over to RCM to improve the left right balance of the team. It opens up more space for Shaw on the left, provides a little bit more cover and also makes the right side far less impotent

SteveW

Apparently he's been at Carrington this week getting a head start for preseason. Considering where he's come from I feel this lad deserves a lot of credit.

A couple of years ago I thought he was a lazy sod who couldn't be bothered keeping himself in shape but he's clearly buckled down and become a very dedicated professional. A couple of mistakes aside I thought he had a very good season and expect him to come up another level in the new season as his fitness continues to improve. Never thought I'd say this but hopefully others can follow his example.

klayton88

Apparently he's been at Carrington this week getting a head start for preseason. Considering where he's come from I feel this lad deserves a lot of credit.

A couple of years ago I thought he was a lazy sod who couldn't be bothered keeping himself in shape but he's clearly buckled down and become a very dedicated professional. A couple of mistakes aside I thought he had a very good season and expect him to come up another level in the new season as his fitness continues to improve. Never thought I'd say this but hopefully others can follow his example.
Either last pre season or the one before he looked in great shape pre season. Two games in to the actual season he was overweight again. Don't take anything from him turning up early to pre season etc. He's clearly got an underlying issue with maintaining his weight.

Andersonson

Good to see him Learning from previous mistakes. Hopefully he takes one more step. We need full quality fullbacks and currently he is one Level below that. But I got faith in him again. Been ok this season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

He did something similar in LVG’s last season prior his injury. He was amazingly fit, I remember running down the left flank non stop. If the news of him having a head start preseason is true; I hope to see him in that stage again next season with no more unfortunate injury.

Mcking

He's not good enough to hold a first team place and he's not shit enough to be sold. That's make him the epitome of a squad player. The POTY means nothing to me. Its an award given by players most of whom shouldn't be here talent wise and attitude wise. We all know that United's benchmark is Evra, Gaz and Irwin. Shaw is nowhere near to that level.
He did hold down a first team place, and also won both POTY and PlayersPOTY. So yeah, he's improved and had a decent season.
You could say that Ronaldo is the benchmark for United players, but that is so vague that it would be complete nonsense to take it as gospel. We have had success with players that are below Ronaldo's quality.
What Shaw has done is prove how good is and how good he could be, winning both POTY awards in the process. He is just 23 and will most likely improve from here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He did hold down a first team place, and also won both POTY and PlayersPOTY. So yeah, he's improved and had a decent season.
You could say that Ronaldo is the benchmark for United players, but that is so vague that it would be complete nonsense to take it as gospel. We have had success with players that are below Ronaldo's quality.
What Shaw has done is prove how good is and how good he could be, winning both POTY awards in the process. He is just 23 and will most likely improve from here.
He held a first team place in a team that has natural left fullbacks in it apart from himself. I also spoke enough about the POTY and players's POTY. With this sort of 'talent' and 'attitude' they are pretty potty awards for me.

Ronaldo was the best winger in the world and SAF's best player by far. Thus its silly to make him the benchmark. Irwin, Evra and Gaz were never anywhere near to that level.

Honestly I can't understand the outrage behind people wanting Shaw to experience some real competition. If he's half as good as his hype suggest then he'll beat that competition in no time. Competition is good. It keeps players on their toes.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I do find it strange that he is reported as being in Carrington training already. I’m guessing it’s not pre season training but just keeping himself fit and getting help and guidance because he just has that body type that stacks on muscle but also fat.

The guy has also taken a trainer with him out on holiday every year bar one since he arrived. He also brought in a personal chef to prep his meals so the guy is clearly trying to do everything he can. Standard CAF health experts thinking healthy is someone with 0% body fat

Mcking

He held a first team place in a team that has natural left fullbacks in it apart from himself. I also spoke enough about the POTY and players's POTY. With this sort of 'talent' and 'attitude' they are pretty potty awards for me.

Ronaldo was the best winger in the world and SAF's best player by far. Thus its silly to make him the benchmark. Irwin, Evra and Gaz were never anywhere near to that level.

Honestly I can't understand the outrage behind people wanting Shaw to experience some real competition. If he's half as good as his hype suggest then he'll beat that competition in no time. Competition is good. It keeps players on their toes.
I'm not arguing against competition, am I? It is the notion that Shaw is a squad player at best and you didn't even consider his young age and the obvious scope for improvement. He was voted Matt Busby POTY by fans and Players POTY by his teammates - fans don't have attitude issues.
As I said, you could easily say that Ronaldo is the benchmark of what a United player should be, and many other players who were successful with us would looked like squad players at best. That is why vague terms like benchmark should not be used as gospel in a sport as dynamic as football.

devilish

I'm not arguing against competition, am I? It is the notion that Shaw is a squad player at best and you didn't even consider his young age and the obvious scope for improvement. He was voted Matt Busby POTY by fans and Players POTY by his teammates - fans don't have attitude issues.
As I said, you could easily say that Ronaldo is the benchmark of what a United player should be, and many other players who were successful with us would looked like squad players at best. That is why vague terms like benchmark should not be used as gospel in a sport as dynamic as football.
Well its been a crazy season were Shaw ended up getting awards, Young was cheered at the end of the season while our main assist man and goalscorer ended up being booed for apologising to fans. I am not so sure about our fan's attitude either.

Regarding Ronaldo he is SAF's best ever player. You can't set a benchmark that high. Having said that, Gaz, Irwin and Evra are good benchmarks for a top team. They are talented players, with the right attitude who sit just at lower tier of WC players.

Anyway I think Shaw is squad player at best. He might (and I'm hoping he would) prove me wrong one day.

Last edited:

AJ10

This season he played well bar few games but overall was a big improvement on previous season.

Hopefully he's put those injuries behind him and we'll see more improvement next season, only 23 as well.

SER19

Full credit to Shaw coming back early. He's showing the his player of the year award is absolutely not in any way going to give him and ego and that he feels he needs to work harder. He's also laying down a marker to teammates. Every day they stay away that he's there, they look worse. Though it could be argued he's still in training with nations league around corner

devilish

Full credit to Shaw coming back early. He's showing the his player of the year award is absolutely not in any way going to give him and ego and that he feels he needs to work harder. He's also laying down a marker to teammates. Every day they stay away that he's there, they look worse. Though it could be argued he's still in training with nations league around corner
true

Mcking

Well its been a crazy season were Shaw ended up getting awards, Young was cheered at the end of the season while our main assist man and goalscorer ended up being booed for apologising to fans. I am not so sure about our fan's attitude either.

Regarding Ronaldo he is SAF's best ever player. You can't set a benchmark that high. Having said that, Gaz, Irwin and Evra are good benchmarks for a top team. They are talented players, with the right attitude who sit just at lower tier of WC players.

Anyway I think Shaw is squad player at best. He might (and I'm hoping he would) prove me wrong one day.
Neville was with us for about 20 years. Shaw has been here for a quarter of that, and has struggled with injuries and fitness. His improvement has been gradual, but the signs are promising I'd say.

arthurka

Good on him for trying to stay fit, but he isnt really good enough. His attacking isnt good enough and he looks out of gas way to often. I think we need another LB to push him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think this guy is lucky we have other priorities if I'm honest. We can get by with Shaw for a season, not as worse as having Young at RB.

But we're one Shaw injury from having Young back in the lineup.

Irwin99

I wish there was a Youtube video of all his bodychecks last season which got him most of his 13 yellow cards. Needs to cut that out.

Andersons Dietician

I think this guy is lucky we have other priorities if I'm honest. We can get by with Shaw for a season, not as worse as having Young at RB.

But we're one Shaw injury from having Young back in the lineup.
Weird bump, but I would think or hope Dalot would be the first option over Young.

AP88

Supports
Man City
This genuinely could be the best time to cash in on Shaw, given his POTY status - if I was Solskjaer I’d be snapping Tierney up and trying to send Shaw to Arsenal.

As good as he is technically, he’s lost his agility as he’s filled out, and his attacking output is abysmal; Liverpool have neutralised their lack of quality in midfield with two fantastic attacking fullbacks, and with AWB on the right, another dimension on the left is essential.

flappyjay

This genuinely could be the best time to cash in on Shaw, given his POTY status - if I was Solskjaer I’d be snapping Tierney up and trying to send Shaw to Arsenal.

As good as he is technically, he’s lost his agility as he’s filled out, and his attacking output is abysmal; Liverpool have neutralised their lack of quality in midfield with two fantastic attacking fullbacks, and with AWB on the right, another dimension on the left is essential.
If you consider his wages plus what we would want for him Arsenal can't afford him. Same goes for the mid table teams that would want him

Silas

:lol: Hardly a prestigious accolade.

flappyjay

First full season uninterrupted by injuries let's see how goes after another proper pre season. Either way the right time to upgrade on him is next year, right now there are bigger issues.

Gordon S

He is included in there. Hard to tell but i would say he looks somewhat slimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.