Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaford RED

really don't know what people see in this guy
He's English, so gets the press on his side, people can be like sheep and just follow.

He was scouted by Phil Neville and Paul Scholes, who's to argue with them ?

Paul Scholes has on numerous occasions stated that Shaw will become the best left back in the world.

Personally, I don't think he is premier league standard. I didn't think he played well earlier in the season, although most on here, say he did. His performance at home against Juventus was absolutely appalling and the worst I can remember from a Utd player, that includes Bebe and Ralph Milne.

He drifts through games doing the bare minimum, he cant dribble, he cant defend, he is over weight and will only get fatter.

On the plus side, he has a sweet left foot (hasn't got a right foot tho).

I'd have Ashley Young over him any day.

Ekeke

He's a good player. Anyone who hasnt seen that from his performances this season doesn't know how to evaluate a fullback.

He is not however currently the best English left back. Chilwell is better in my opinion. But that doesnt mean Shaw hasnt been one of our better performers this season because he has been. We've just not been that good as a team.

kundalini

Asking him to play as a left-wing back doesn't really suit his strengths and weaknesses at this point. It has been noticeable in both the West Ham away match and the Southampton game that he hasn't offered a great deal going forwards, though he did have a fierce right-foot shot that went wide after a corner. There was one promising opportunity where Shaw failed to get a cross in when we have a few players in the box.

At the start of the season Shaw was contributing far more in the attacking third than he has done recently. Admittedly, there have been occasions when Martial has ignored Shaw's overlapping runs. Defensively, too many goals and good chances have come from players getting in crosses from the dead ball line on his side. Shaw's pace should be enabling him to block those crosses.

Having said all that, he's still been one of our better performers this season.

el3mel

He's an average full back with some purple patches from time to time. Decent defensively but not great, and useless up front except for his sprinting. We were just drooling over him because we get used to see converted wings like Young playing there, so we were surprised to see an actual full back, but the fact is if we're comparing him to other full backs we will see how painfully average he's compared to them. His output up front is almost non existent. He sprints in space and gets some good positions then feck it up with terrible crossing or some times shooting.

He's doing the bare minimum you will expect from full back but that doesn't mean he's good enough to be a starter here.

Next season we should bring a top quality LB and make Shaw a sub while getting rid of Young and Valencia.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Now fully grown and therefore lost a lost of agility - absolute broken record on this, but he has to become a central defender moving forward to have any chance of sustaining a career at a top club.

Murray3007

Now fully grown and therefore lost a lost of agility - absolute broken record on this, but he has to become a central defender moving forward to have any chance of sustaining a career at a top club.
said this for years, brilliant defender but struggles going forward for me and offering the threat we need.

red4ever 79

Been awful since signing that contract. Well when I say awful not like Lukaku and Matic standards, but worse than the start of the season

steakpie

Shaw really needs to sort it out. He needs to offer at least something in attack. Most games he offers absolutely nothing in attack.

el3mel

Maybe a new coach is what Shaw needs - he was very good under Poch.
He had 1 assist in his time with Southampton as far as I'm concerned.

His attacking output has been always a concern. He has good speed, good sprinting and can get himself in pretty good positions, but once he reaches these positions he usually fecks it up with his crossing.

He's a good player but I wont go about rating him any higher than that at present.
Still think we should've signed a established classy LB in the summer.

Ekeke

He had 1 assist in his time with Southampton as far as I'm concerned.

His attacking output has been always a concern. He has good speed, good sprinting and can get himself in pretty good positions, but once he reaches these positions he usually fecks it up with his crossing.
Assists mostly tell you how well a team converts their chances.

As you can see in his first season in first team football he managed to create 10 chances that were converted to shots in 25 appearances.

In his 2nd season at Southampton he created 35 chances that were converted to shots in 35 appearances.

This season as well he's 1 per match and slightly better than 1 per match in the champions league.

That sounds pretty damn good doesnt it, so how does that compare to good fullbacks playing this season?

Well I think Robertson is considered the best leftback in the premier league. So here's his numbers in a much better team than Luke Shaw's Southampton

So in these past 2 seasons at Liverpool Robertson is better than 1 key passes per match. Thats better than Shaw in his 2nd season at Southampton and for United this season but not by much and in a better team.

I think this shows Shaw can obviously play his part in creating chances for teammates.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's definitely slowed down a bit after a very bright start to the season but he's pretty much the absolute least of our worries right now.
Not really. He's back to get injured frequently, and has been playing like the left-sided Valencia. I think he's not good enough for top team. And definitely can't justify how much he gets paid per week.

On side note, this opinion is based on how he plays under Mourinho.

Bwuk

Robertson is twice the player and has a far better attitude. Shaw is all talk.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not really. He's back to get injured frequently, and has been playing like the left-sided Valencia. I think he's not good enough for top team. And definitely can't justify how much he gets paid per week.

On side note, this opinion is based on how he plays under Mourinho.
Picking up his first knock of the season is getting back to injured frequently?

Wayne's World

If still giving the chance, I think we should pursue looking at Kieran Tierney at Celtic. Not under Mourinho though but a new manager

tieunhilang

If still giving the chance, I think we should pursue looking at Kieran Tierney at Celtic. Not under Mourinho though but a new manager
Can't hurt with some decent competition for Shaw, I guess. Right now he is having it a bit too comfortable on left flank.

However, I'm curious to see how the Redcafe would react if a new manager of Manchester United benched Shaw just like Jose did last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Picking up his first knock of the season is getting back to injured frequently?
My bad. That first one was concussion apparently. Admittedly, I always have this lingering feeling that he's an injury prone player.

Just never seen any young player who has his injury record to become reliably fit later on. Brown, Evans, Jones were injury prone when young, and continue(d) to be so.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My bad. That first one was concussion apparently. Admittedly, I always have this lingering feeling that he's an injury prone player.

Just never seen any young player who has his injury record to become reliably fit later on. Brown, Evans, Jones were injury prone when young, and continue(d) to be so.
Robin Van Persie was very injury prone and then all of sudden he avoided injuries for a long while.

el3mel

Robin Van Persie was very injury prone and then all of sudden he avoided injuries for a long while.
For 1 season only though, then back to his routine when Moyes got the job.

Anyway being injury prone isn't Shaw problem, it's that he's painfully average that's all.

mystarrocks

He is the only LB we had in a long time who is left footed and plays in his natural position. Darmain is not a natural LB , Young is a converted winger always cuts back. Apart from he is out of position for too many goals this season.

He looks like a player who has missed some key years of development but his lack of form isn't entirely his own fault. He looks like he's playing within himself. In the past he's been good going forward but he looks like he's reluctant to push on too much now because so many attacks come down his flank when hes up the pitch. Our midfield is supposed to cover him when hes forward but its not happening, Matic is usually on his side and just lets players run past him.

ErranMorad

I was hoping all summer that he would go and we'll find a better player for the LB position. But he stayed and to top it off was handed another 5 year contract on higher wages after a couple of decent performances. Really couldn't make this shit up. Another baffling contract extension decision in line with Rooney, Nani, Rojo & Fellaini.

Anyway, he can be an expensive back-up as we need to find a better player as first choice. He doesn't offer enough either attacking or defending. Usually you want a FB that excels in at least one department and is good enough in the other.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He has improved, but come on guys: he's still far from a top club left back. His positioning is mediocre, which he tries to compensate by recovering his position with his pace, but a lot of times is just too late.

I don't think we should retain a player with his wage, if you bare in mind his current ability.

Ekeke

Acceptable when attacking but terrible defensively.
He's our best fullback defensively.

Thats not to say he's absolutely solid defensively but Valencia and Young are weak defensively.

Darmian has only played twice in the league and has done okay, statistically winning the ball most out of our fullbacks but presumably if he plays more than 2 games his numbers will drop.

Shaw also wins the ball in then air almost 3 times as often as the next fullback, which is Valencia. Is the only one of our fullbacks to have blocked a shot at all this season, averaging almost 1 per 2 games (5 shots blocked in 12 games), averages our 2nd highest amount of crosses blocked per game behind Young, and joint 2nd most passes blocked.

Young and Valencia statistically create more going forward at the cost of defensive solidarity. They play more long passes whilst Shaw sticks to short ones. The stats also back up the idea that Shaw's crossing isnt so good with him averaging the 2nd least key passes from crosses out of our fullbacks this season.

However with Young attempting 8.4 per game with only 1.6 per game ending with a shot (not including set pieces) then its really only Valencia who has a better record for us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Frankly, there’s some absolute shit posted to this thread. Not Premier League quality? Average? :lol:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He’s an above average LB. Not world class or even close to it, but one of the better LBs in the league. Not what we should be focusing on right now, there’s lots of other key positions that are alarmingly poor (CB, CDM, ST, RW).

Mickson

He's our best fullback defensively.

Thats not to say he's absolutely solid defensively but Valencia and Young are weak defensively.

Darmian has only played twice in the league and has done okay, statistically winning the ball most out of our fullbacks but presumably if he plays more than 2 games his numbers will drop.

Shaw also wins the ball in then air almost 3 times as often as the next fullback, which is Valencia. Is the only one of our fullbacks to have blocked a shot at all this season, averaging almost 1 per 2 games (5 shots blocked in 12 games), averages our 2nd highest amount of crosses blocked per game behind Young, and joint 2nd most passes blocked.

Young and Valencia statistically create more going forward at the cost of defensive solidarity. They play more long passes whilst Shaw sticks to short ones. The stats also back up the idea that Shaw's crossing isnt so good with him averaging the 2nd least key passes from crosses out of our fullbacks this season.

However with Young attempting 8.4 per game with only 1.6 per game ending with a shot (not including set pieces) then its really only Valencia who has a better record for us.
I don't agree at all. Yes, Valencia hasn't been as good this season as before but he has hardly played anything. If we look at the earlier seasons, Valencia has definitely been really good defensively and a lot better than Shaw has ever shown for United. Especially this season, I've been disappointed with his defensive contribution. In attack they are both equally pointless; can sprint but can't cross or pass or shoot.

Ekeke

I don't agree at all. Yes, Valencia hasn't been as good this season as before but he has hardly played anything. If we look at the earlier seasons, Valencia has definitely been really good defensively and a lot better than Shaw has ever shown for United. Especially this season, I've been disappointed with his defensive contribution. In attack they are both equally pointless; can sprint but can't cross or pass or shoot.
You just have to watch our games to see how often Valencia was out of position defensively. It was our main issue last season, him and Young not supporting the defense and other players having to cover their positions all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.