Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

3KDré

I'll accept him for the time being. Would prefer 2 centremids and a right winger before him being replaced.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You can see why Jose was so hard on Shaw

Look at yesterday as a prime example, his problems began when Wolves bought on Traore, a kick-and-run merchant. The problem Shaw has is that for whatever reason, whether it's fitness, laziness, attitude or just poor positioning, he doesn't get close enough to the opposition winger to effect them early enough

What I mean by that is with a player like Traore, you know all he has is pace. Therefore, you need to get tight enough to instantly be on his first-touch, making it difficult for him to turn and run at you. Bear in mind, ANY half-decent PL attacker SHOULD beat any half-decent PL full-back in a one-vs-one situation IF they can get running at them directly at speed.

Watch Shaw last night. Every time Traore received the ball, Shaw was 4/5 yards away. This allows Traore to get the ball under control, turn and pick up speed BEFORE Shaw engages. It's basic really. Shaw has every attribute, I just cannot comprehend why he defends this way.....maybe it's arrogance or comes from always being the best player in his side at every age group and always being able to trust his natural ability/pace...? Whatever it is, no wonder Jose was frustrated as their is a player in there. As I've said, Jose doesn't waste time with lost causes, he wouldn't have been so critical of Shaw if he didn't think he COULD do better
You are massively underrating Traore here. He's certainly not just a kick-and-run merchant. He's also a very good dribbler in close quarters, a great touch and plenty of tricks. He's also got insane acceleration as well as his ridiculous top speed. Getting close to him is just asking for him to suck you in to a challenge and then he leaves you in the dust.

Traore's two big weaknesses are normally poor positioning so he doesn't get on the ball as much as he should, and terrible decision making when it is time for him to actually do something other than dribble with the ball. He was actually better than normal in the former yesterday which is why he ended up having such a big impact. Thankfully for us his decision making was still shit.

Mcking

Honestly the folk defending him were probably the ones defending Smalling, Jones etc over the last few seasons.

He’d the worst left back in the top 8 easily.
Left backs in last season's top 8: Zinchenko, Mendy, Angelino, Robertson, Rose, Davies, Emerson, Alonso, Monreal, Kolasinac, Tierney, Jonny, Vinagre, Digne, Baines. Easily the worst? Hyperbole I think.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is supposed to be the LB for the next 10 years when he joined Man Utd. As Jose said the other day, only if he has Jose's brain then he will become a good player.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I mean, im pretty sure that goes without saying. Maguire cost £80 million and like Shaw theres areas where he can improve and do better
However if he didn't improve his game under LVG and Jose, what are the chances under OGS?

Ekeke

However if he didn't improve his game under LVG and Jose, what are the chances under OGS?
He did. He just won our player of the year

But if you cant recognize the progress he made last year under Mourinho and Ole then what are the chances you will recognize it under OGS this season?

Eternitiy

He was vital in the buildup for Martial's goal. Yes, Traore beat him one or two times, but this should not discredit a fine overall performance.

Shaw is technically very good, a fine passer, strong in the tackle, and very fast. Shaw is far from being an issue in our squad.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He did. He just won our player of the year

But if you cant recognize the progress he made last year under Mourinho and Ole then what are the chances you will recognize it under OGS this season?
Fair enough. I read people want an upgrade on him already which is weird to me.

Ekeke

Fair enough. I read people want an upgrade on him already which is weird to me.
Those are just the people who already decided that they dont like him, before he played well so will slag him off any chance he gets. He can obviously improve in some areas but hes solid in his position

RedStarUnited

He was vital in the buildup for Martial's goal. Yes, Traore beat him one or two times, but this should not discredit a fine overall performance.

Shaw is technically very good, a fine passer, strong in the tackle, and very fast. Shaw is far from being an issue in our squad.

The guy defers to his CB nearly every time. The irony with him is he has a lot in his locker, just no confidence to actually use most of it. That run he made for the goal, he should be making 5/6 of those a game.

Tarrou

He's a solid player, but he seems to lack the confidence(or maybe the ability) to cross the ball. It's the same every time: get in a good position, stop, pass the ball back.
His crossing is definitely a weakness

To be honest I think we'd benefit more attacking-wise if he just made more runs beyond the final man, to create space for the attackers. If he can't cross then why bother, Evra wasn't that good at it either

Evra was brilliant at making forward runs that caused all sorts of problems, though, so it didnt matter that much

Lentwood

So you wanted him to be 'touch tight' to a guy who is
A) twice his speed
B) stronger than him
C) with exceptional ball control
Seriously?
Where do I say "touch tight"? I say "close enough to effect the player"

By that I mean you absolutely do not allow an attacker to leisurely bring the ball under control, turn and run at you on their own terms

I would say you want to be stalking the attacker, close enough to make opposition players think twice about whether the pass is on, close enough to force pressure on their first touch, close enough to make their first movement a backwards one.

If you want examples of how this works....watch most other PL fullbacks.....its basics, it's not even a debate

JoaquinJoaquin

A bit weak physically too. Shaw who is much stronger, better positioning and argually faster got 'exposed', and Dalot is expected to fare better. Laughable.
Shaw isn't faster, and arguably doesn't have better positioning either. Dalot is better offensively, a better crosser and is 20 years old. Giving him a few games at LB isn't laughable at all, he has to play at some point and Shaw is out of form right now. So if anything is laughable it's your post.

JoaquinJoaquin

By that I mean you absolutely do not allow an attacker to leisurely bring the ball under control, turn and run at you on their own terms

I would say you want to be stalking the attacker, close enough to make opposition players think twice about whether the pass is on, close enough to force pressure on their first touch, close enough to make their first movement a backwards one.

If you want examples of how this works....watch most other PL fullbacks.....its basics, it's not even a debate
This is a common problem with Shaw. He always lets the offensive winger freely get crosses in, and it's very frustrating.

Terminator

Traore is incredibly hard to deal with, a force of nature. Thank god his final ball sucks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Traore isn't just a pace merchant, he's abit more than that tbh. He's actually rapid as everyone knows too well and I thought Shaw didn't stand a chance against him one v one and needed help so i'm not gonna blame Shaw.

The only defender i've seen defend space in behind against Traore successfully was Van Dyke when Liverpool played Wolves away last season and won 2-0. VVD not only more than matched him for pace he comfortably out muscled him too on about a few occasions.

Andersons Dietician

Not that many fullbacks really go touch close because you can be too easily beaten and in the positions you’re speaking of there is no recovering. Most Fullbacks sit slightly off in the scenarios you are speaking of so if the winger tries to take them on they have a few yards to adjust and if someone goes for a cross you’re in a position to make it more difficult whilst also trying to get a block in.

Bissaka does the same thing. If either fullback is in a race back with a winger going to the line then they will be touch tight and if you want examples just watch the Chelsea game for when Shaw did his best Bissaka impression.

However if they find themselves having to go out to someone on the wing most don’t kamikaze in if a player is set with the ball at their feet. In that scenario you try to make it difficult and get the block and hold up the play so your Centre backs, midfielders and keeper can set and deal with any ball hopefully coming in.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

When you find another premier league fullback who has successfully marked Traore out of a game in the fashion you have claimed. You can tell me 'its not up for debate'.

Its like some of you have no clue what traore is about. I don't care how close you think you'll get to him. Unless you are real special defensively. He will STILL beat you. Because his ball control is exceptional. So is his dribbling and he is uber strong. So the notion that once can 'easily' affect him getting the ball under control is too laughable for words....

Lentwood

When you find another premier league fullback who has successfully marked Traore out of a game in the fashion you have claimed. You can tell me 'its not up for debate'.

Its like some of you have no clue what traore is about. I don't care how close you think you'll get to him. Unless you are real special defensively. He will STILL beat you. Because his ball control is exceptional. So is his dribbling and he is uber strong. So the notion that once can 'easily' affect him getting the ball under control is too laughable for words....
So.....let me get this right then....you're saying Traore is just impossible to play against...that no full back can contain him and whatever you try is doomed to fail?

This is Adama Traore, the lad who came on as a sub for Wolverhampton Wanderers? Not Messi, not Ronaldo, not Hazard, not peak Ribery, Robben or Giggs.....Adama Traore....?

I think you're still confusing my point in any case. I am not advocating man marking. I am talking about the basics of positioning at full back. Shaw stood too far off Traore time and time again, which allowed Traore to use his standout attribute - pace.

flappyjay

We seriously have human beings in this world who expected Shaw to keep attacking with Adama Traore attacking his wing the entire second half? And with wolves making every effort to feed Traore the ball all half long to keep Shaw pinned in his own half? SERIOUSLY?
A Traore who is a) quicker than even Daniel James b) a natural dribbler c) built like a tank. And whose only weakness is absence of vision and low on the ball intelligence?
Apparently he is just a sprinter, no skill. It's like they have never seen Traore play. Easily one of the best dribblers in the league

flappyjay

So.....let me get this right then....you're saying Traore is just impossible to play against...that no full back can contain him and whatever you try is doomed to fail?

This is Adama Traore, the lad who came on as a sub for Wolverhampton Wanderers? Not Messi, not Ronaldo, not Hazard, not peak Ribery, Robben or Giggs.....Adama Traore....?

I think you're still confusing my point in any case. I am not advocating man marking. I am talking about the basics of positioning at full back. Shaw stood too far off Traore time and time again, which allowed Traore to use his standout attribute - pace.
Doesn't have to be peak any of those players for him to have exceptional speed and control of the ball. He is a great dribbler, your problem might be that you have reduced him to just a speed merchant, which he isn't.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For all the odd ones thinking Shaw did a decent job vs Adama can you tell me how AWB would have defended him? Also why is it acceptable to be gassed out in the 60th minute and accept the mediocrity that is associated with that after? ‘He had to sit back’, ‘he couldn’t get as close to him’, ‘he couldn’t make as many runs forward’,’he couldn’t do much in possession’. These are some of the comments being made in sympathy for his mediocrity.

Why are you accepting that at Manchester United?

It’s really odd. It’s like I’m in 2008 reading a mid table team forum about their full back when they just played United and United brought on C.Ronaldo in the 60th minute.
No one is liking it but those are elements explaining his performance, there ain't much else we can do about it.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No one is liking it but those are elements explaining his performance, there ain't much else we can do about it.
Never mentioned liking it, more so accepting it. People rolling in here accepting his performance as adequate and listing those elements as something that is acceptable. It’s really not unless we don’t have top 3 aspirations.

kouroux

Never mentioned liking it, more so accepting it. People rolling in here accepting his performance as adequate and listing those elements as something that is acceptable. It’s really not unless we don’t have top 3 aspirations.
I get you but whatever we do or say on the caf has zero impact on Shaw or how the club will adress the LB position in the future.

WR10

I get you but whatever we do or say on the caf has zero impact on Shaw or how the club will adress the LB position in the future.
What a hollowing feeling huh? And you wonder why 1000s of posts go back and forth each day on here about every bit of detail.

Bwuk

Mental that folk think Manchester United’s starting left back shouldn’t be able to deal with a sub for Wolves.

Traore is sh*te, if he was any good he wouldn’t be benched.

kouroux

What a hollowing feeling huh? And you wonder why 1000s of posts go back and forth each day on here about every bit of detail.
I'm just being a realist. The caf is good fun and that's about it for me. If the club truly cared about the fans, specially the match going ones, a few things would be different.

Andersons Dietician

For all the odd ones thinking Shaw did a decent job vs Adama can you tell me how AWB would have defended him? Also why is it acceptable to be gassed out in the 60th minute and accept the mediocrity that is associated with that after? ‘He had to sit back’, ‘he couldn’t get as close to him’, ‘he couldn’t make as many runs forward’,’he couldn’t do much in possession’. These are some of the comments being made in sympathy for his mediocrity.

Why are you accepting that at Manchester United?

It’s really odd. It’s like I’m in 2008 reading a mid table team forum about their full back when they just played United and United brought on C.Ronaldo in the 60th minute.
I mean AWB so far has been rinsed by Pulisic and Barkley. Yes he got back at them but they turned him and got away from him so really what we are dealing with here is years of CAF programming of people thinking Shaw is crap even though he had a really good game was intercepting heaps and winning headers being aggressive starting off attacks and involved in multiple bits of play. The CAF is just blind to all the good things he does. I would actually say he was better than Bissaka in the last game overall.

A-man

This is a common problem with Shaw. He always lets the offensive winger freely get crosses in, and it's very frustrating.
It is a big problem that has ready been explored. And when you have Rashford on that side as well it means that Maguire need to defend that side, with Lindelof taking Maguire's position. It happened several times already in the first game against Chelaea.

Kostov

Mental that folk think Manchester United’s starting left back shouldn’t be able to deal with a sub for Wolves.

It's mental when you put it like that. We as a team weren't able to deal with the Wolves sub to be fair. Players, not just Shaw were bouncing off him. Traore is not that good but you are making him like he is Lingard level useless. Traore is a physical specimen and anyone would struggle to cope in a physical battle with him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Traore is average as an all round player. He has no idea what to do on a football pitch when he's not dribbling with the ball at his feet. But off the top of my head I'd say he's probably the best pure dribbler in the league now that Hazard is gone.

Evra always struggled against Lennon, and Traore is faster, stronger and a better dribbler than Lennon ever was.

Don't get me wrong; Shaw didn't have a great game and he does annoy me at times when he doesn't block off the crossing angles. But a lot of people are significantly under-rating Traore to go overboard with criticism of Shaw.

WR10

I mean AWB so far has been rinsed by Pulisic and Barkley. Yes he got back at them but they turned him and got away from him so really what we are dealing with here is years of CAF programming of people thinking Shaw is crap even though he had a really good game was intercepting heaps and winning headers being aggressive starting off attacks and involved in multiple bits of play. The CAF is just blind to all the good things he does. I would actually say he was better than Bissaka in the last game overall.
Alright let’s forget a comparison to AWB for a second because they’re in different leagues. You just pulled out a negative for AWB and at worst he still nullified any threat from any opposition we have played so far. Toss in the fact that if Jesse wasn’t as useless as he is, AWB would have 2 direct assists vs Wolves. To really put it to bed - AWB had 9 successful tackles to Shaw’s 2 vs wolves. So AWB aside - it’s back to the main point. Why are you accepting how mediocre Shaw is? I understand we can’t do anything about it but how can you be satisfied with the contributions when he can’t even keep it up past 60 minutes? Never mind his non existent attacking contributions - why do we have to look at what happened to him and our team when Adama came on and think to our selves ‘yea that’s all we could do, we go again next game, Shaw is still decent’? It just feels like I’m reading a mid table forum being satisfied with mediocre players.

Unfortunately like kouroux was saying - we can’t really do anything about it so I guess we agree to disagree

Bwuk

Traore is average as an all round player. He has no idea what to do on a football pitch when he's not dribbling with the ball at his feet. But off the top of my head I'd say he's probably the best pure dribbler in the league now that Hazard is gone.

Evra always struggled against Lennon, and Traore is faster, stronger and a better dribbler than Lennon ever was.

Don't get me wrong; Shaw didn't have a great game and he does annoy me at times when he doesn't block off the crossing angles. But a lot of people are significantly under-rating Traore to go overboard with criticism of Shaw.
If Traore was good he wouldn’t be a bench player at Wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.