5.4 Average rating
3 Appearances
1 Clean sheet
  1. Aug 27, 2019

Edy2 New Member

Dalot is injured as well I believe.
  2. Aug 27, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

Young was also horribly exposed at right back by being expected to run the entire right flank on his own, there being no proper right sided attackers. At least at left back he should have a player in front of him.
  3. Aug 27, 2019

Greck Full Member

Time will tell but the common knowledge in health studies is muscle injuries are minimised with load management. So when we were sounding off about how our new fitness workload programme was intense I was a bit worried it sounded old fashioned and the boys would start breaking down early in the season. Having said that Shaw seems to breaks down regardless of what fitness programme he's on
  4. Aug 27, 2019

Renegade Full Member

He was rubbing the back off his leg as if he felt something during the Chelsea game I recall, so you could be on to something there.
  5. Aug 27, 2019

fps Full Member

Shaw's been playing while carrying something from the summer. This means he's not been at his best. I suggest this because of the reports of the calf strain, from not long before season started, and his tendency to play a lot of games, such as last season, not wanting to let the team down, especially given the lack of quality cover on his side.

The savage nature of posters on here about a human being, with all their reasons for having ups and downs... I wonder how others would say you perform in your job, given the levels you judge others by.
  6. Aug 27, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Tbh I just don't think Shaws body is cut out for this sort of workload.

There's a reason he doesn't sprint full speed for 80% of the match, he's constantly just jogging around at half speed until the last moment.

If you compare his running stats to other fullbacks he's doing no more than any other.
  7. Aug 27, 2019

BlueHaze Full Member

I'm fine with him being injured, it happens. What I am not fine with is using Young as his backup....
  8. Aug 27, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    How fecking typical is that Laird is injured at the same time :rolleyes:
  9. Aug 27, 2019

SweetRightFoot New Member

So much Shaw bashing in this thread, it's a bit ridiculous isn't it? He's a solid player, few better than him in the league (Robertson, Chillwell, maybe Digne, probably on par with Rose and Zinchenko) with his best years ahead of him.

Slating him for getting injured is a bit cheap to me, it's not like he's unfit or throwing himself into reckless challenges like Bailly. I'd hazard a guess that he wouldn't get half as much stick for being injured if we weren't left with Young as his back up (who will probably do fine for the next 4 or so games now he's got Rashford or James in front of him instead of Martial).

Definitely not a a glaring weak spot in the squad and definitely not a position we should be looking at reinforcing immediately (ie. centre mid, right wing, target man striker).
  10. Aug 27, 2019

parkthebuslads Full Member

Clearly not! I think Shaw really benefits from his reputation when joining us and also from the various quotes which spoke of him being potentially the best in the world etc. People assume he's out of form or that at any point he's going to transform into the player that he's wrongly been built up to be.
  11. Aug 27, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Shaw played a lot last year without injuries.

Very harsh on him to be slated on pulling a muscle. Happens. He will get back soon enough.
  12. Aug 27, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Young has better final delivery but his build play is very poor. He lacks composure, so he always tries those long passes which more often than not ends up as failure. Shaw is opposite, his final pass is poor but his build up play is good.
  13. Aug 27, 2019

Tomb Bombadil New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Shaw is a solid LB but not really top6 material in my eyes (anymore). As you say not the glaring weak spot. But he's the most expensive fullback in the league (something like £150.000 a week) and he's very injury prone. So for his income you don't ge enough output. And of course is not really his fault that he's that injury prone but the problem is still there.
  14. Aug 27, 2019

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Hammys can go anytime. I don't think he should be slated for getting injured. Symptomatic of our unbelievable support.
  15. Aug 28, 2019

Rajma Full Member

Should be replaced next summer, you can’t rely on him given his injury record and when played he’s still making same mistakes he did few years ago, improved very little given we were paying for potential mostly at that time.
  16. Aug 28, 2019

chb23 New Member

He is the least of our worries in the team. All those wanting to sell him are idiots. We have so many urgent spots to fill already. Ie midfield and right wing
  17. Aug 28, 2019

FrankDrebin New Member

Defensively competent yet utterly uninspiring offensively.
    Can be comfortably upgraded in a attacking sense.
  18. Aug 28, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

I'm not even sure I'd agree that he's defensively competent, he always allows his man to get the cross in.
  19. Aug 28, 2019

luke511 Full Member

We need a left back in the summer. Shaw is squad/back up player quality at the moment, hardly reliable as well.
  20. Aug 28, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

When you watch some of our rivals' fullbacks take players on, ping 40 yard diagonals and perfect crosses you can't help but feel we're missing something important in our backline.

Gary Neville style fullbacks are out. Dani Alves is in.
  21. Aug 28, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Gary Neville was great at crossing the ball
  22. Aug 28, 2019

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

I cringe whenever he gets the ball past the halfway line, literally offering nothing going forward. Go back ten years and we had pat bombing up and down, yes his delivery was questionable but his ability to go from defence to attack was top notch, not to mention he could dribble.

Thing is, his defending was supposed to be his strongest suit yet here we are watching him struggle with that side of his game.
  23. Aug 28, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

Wasn't thinking of his crossing. Cross field rakers, cutting in , bit more intricate football
  24. Aug 28, 2019

Guapa New Member

Time to face it.He’s just not that good.Needs to be replace next summer.
  25. Aug 28, 2019

Dve New Member

I think Shaw has had a very good start of the season. His injury will weaken United.
  26. Aug 29, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Shaw's build up play is infamously slow and tedious, no? As a fullback he is in unusually predictable in the build up. Makes it easy for defenders to press our team when Shaw refuses to move into the space in front of him.
  27. Aug 29, 2019

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    By build up play he means the passing to get himself opportunities and create angles. Something he does really well in the little triangles he works with people on his left side.
  28. Aug 29, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I know what you mean, and agree he is capable. His passing is not bad at all, its his hesitation to play when he doesn't have players close by him. He just stands around and wait for them to come close and if they wont come he'll take forever to wait then just pass back to the CB. It is very predictable and happens a lot. Maybe he has stagnated a bit there because he knows what he does well and wait for the game to come to him. He needs to run into space sometimes, he is not a midfield playmaker:lol:
  29. Aug 29, 2019

Vault Dweller Full Member

Must upgrade next year.