Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Limited and others no quality on the ball going forward. Shaw probably didn't realise that it wasn't only Yong that AWB would expose as not being good enough....

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Had to deal with a lot of attacks today and was exposed as a result, but he's also not fit enough. He needs a proper run of games fit which is a bit annoying. His attacking play leaves a little to be desired - he should be trying to link up more

Devil81

I thought Mourinho was brutal at half time when he suggested Maguire would have to get used to covering a lot for Shaw over the course of a season.

Still looks a yard or two off fitness to me, hopefully, a few games and he will be up to speed.

Devil may care

Looked a bit lethargic compared to AWB on the other flank, he was ok but I want to see more when he has the ball.

StuCol

Chimp
I thought Mourinho was brutal at half time when he suggested Maguire would have to get used to covering a lot for Shaw over the course of a season.

Still looks a yard or two off fitness to me, hopefully, a few games and he will be up to speed.
I had to chuckle to be honest.

I’ve always been a Shaw fan. But not tracking back quickly as a full back is ridiculous.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just compare his engine to someone like Robertson and you can see where he lacks.

R'hllor

That leg break really did a number on his progress. Anyone remembers his run at OT before that, he looked like he was on motorbike.

SirAF

Ageist
He will have to do for now but United should definitely be looking to upgrade next summer.

ash_86

Let’s not go there.

Average at best. I hate how Shaw never gets tight to his man.
This. Let's the shot clean thorough and if attacker gets a sniff then we concede. He's the weak link in defense.

el3mel

Didn't think he was that bad actually, though maybe he should do more.

quackattack

Let's bash him after one game, right? I think he could perform a lot better and that AWB was a lot better if we compare, but to call him out now?

Bwuk

Let's bash him after one game, right? I think he could perform a lot better and that AWB was a lot better if we compare, but to call him out now?
He performed basically how he did all last season

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mourinho couldn't help but slip in a jab about his garbage positioning. Yes, Maguire will always need to cover for his ass. Yes he can still be solid in a 1 on 1.

What is completely unacceptable is his piss poor attempt at anything in attack. It truly is pathetic. He gets into all these dangerous positions in courtesy of the opposition giving him it to cover rash/tony/jesse/pogba etc and he just fumbles about like the ref has blown the whistle and play has stopped. He just has no urgency in attack. No intelligence. No cunningness. No creativity. Every time he makes his way into the final 1/3 with the ball he just comes and goes like a fart. Meaningless to give him the ball there.

KennyBurner

Moment in the game when he and martial had that linkup up and he didn’t try to beat his man but instead passed back to martial twice really pissed me off. Very average left back. It’s a shame people don’t have the same energy to criticize him as they do Lingard.

Links the play well enough but he is going to have to seriously up his defensive game from that display. Everything Chelsea did was coming from players getting in behind him. Mourinho was right.

Andersons Dietician

1st half hung out to dry by Rashford even if it was as a result of instructions from management just seems crazy to allow 2 players to gang up on your fullback. 2nd half once Rashford started coming back it was stopped and he had some nice moments but really needs to have a bit more belief and desire when he is in and around the box.

Like that passing sequence with Martial when it seemed like they were both saying “you run at them, no you do it” Saw should of taken the man on and then whipped one across the box.

Couple of good interceptions and runs that weren’t spotted or played in but probably would have danced about with the ball for a while instead of doing something with it.

Jose needs to get his eyes checked if he couldn’t figure out why there was so much space and why Maguire was covering. I still find it amazing given some of the utter tosh he has come out with over the last 3 years that this guy is/was considered one of the top coaches in the world and won as much as he has.

Alabaster Codify7

I said last season, I don't see it.

He's a player who,if he finds consistency, will turn in regular 7/10 performances at best. He has zero attacking threat and switches off defensively. He's a good player at his best, average for the majority

I think an upgrade is needed to be honest. At least a young competitor to give us strength in depth at LB.

He's one of our weak links.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just compare his engine to someone like Robertson and you can see where he lacks.
Not just engine but crossing as well. Robertson consistently puts in dangerous crosses, Shaw fails at that.

Dante

Average bang
He was the worst of the back 4 today, but you have to judge him by his role not just his position. He's not a left sided AWB (one-on-one defender), or even a Robertson (supplementary winger).

He's a possession player who's there to help the midfield more than the defenders or attackers in the side. He had 53 passes to AWB's 36, for instance.

Terminator

He was the worst of the back 4 today, but you have to judge him by his role not just his position. He's not a left sided AWB (one-on-one defender), or even a Robertson (supplementary winger).

He's a possession player who's there to help the midfield more than the defenders or attackers in the side. He had 53 passes to AWB's 36, for instance.
Well said.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Shaw got almost no defensive help from Rashford in the first half. You could often see Rashford walking back whilst Shaw was left to deal with Pedro and Azpilicueta on his own. Maybe that's how Rashford was instructed to play but that doesn't take away from the fact that Shaw was the player most exposed towards the Chelsea attack in the first half with the way the teams set up.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

He's a fullback and will be judged, first and foremost, on his defending. Because he likes to put his foot on the ball in dangerous positions, take a few seconds,then pick out a pass, this doesn't make him a possession player by design. That's just him having no intention to attack. I guarantee Ole would swap him for Patrice Evra or Marcelo in a heartbeat because being good in defence and attack is what you want from your fullback, not slowing down promising attacks to keep possession.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would make an excellent CB in a back 3. Lack the final ball for a top team. We will look for an upgrade very soon.

Dante

Average bang
He's a fullback and will be judged, first and foremost, on his defending. Because he likes to put his foot on the ball in dangerous positions, take a few seconds,then pick out a pass, this doesn't make him a possession player by design. That's just him having no intention to attack. I guarantee Ole would swap him for Patrice Evra or Marcelo in a heartbeat because being good in defence and attack is what you want from your fullback, not slowing down promising attacks to keep possession.
He does defend well.

But he tends to do it higher up the pitch and often narrower than most.

That means he makes Maguire's job easier in some ways but harder in others. Swings and roundabouts.

arthurka

Let’s not go there.

Average at best. I hate how Shaw never gets tight to his man.
Thats something players who arent fit do, you try to cheat a couple of yards here and there and hope to get away with it. He was very bad in the first half loosing headers to Pedro! And generally having difficulties with positioning. He will need replacing if he cant get his shit together.

kundalini

I thought unlike most players on the pitch, Shaw didn't do anything especially awful, or anything that good, either. Most of the problems down his side in the first half were due to Rashford not tracking back; which may, or may not, have been a plan. It was a match packed full of careless errors so Luke deserves some credit for his performance. Against midtable sides and relegation candidates, you would expect him to contribute more going forwards.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If Shaw wasn't fit, he'd have been dropped by Ole like Valencia was.
He will eventually. He'll get his chances now, but I highly doubt that Ole will play a player that struggles with fitness if Shaw had an actual competitor for his postition. We'll have to just trust that Shaw can improve, and hope that Maguire and others will contribute to cover his flaws if he doesn't.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't mind it if he forgets his defensive duties sometimes and needs Maguire covering for him IF he made up for it by being amazing going forward but he's just no Marcelo/Alba/Trent going forward and hence it just doesn't make up for his lack of defensive ability.

izec

We need to upgrade on him. I hoped a few months back we would buy an LB. Tierney and Firpo just moved unfortunately. Next summer hopefully, Chilwell would be nice

Tarrou

people who think we're going to upgrade him anytime soon need to tune into sanity FM

we only just upgraded Ashley Young at right back, give it 8 or 9 years and we'll start thinking about upgrading Shaw

Andersonson

Has he lost pace?

I actually think he looked a bit slow at times. Maybe the result from Lukakus leak was real

Status
Not open for further replies.