Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A very limited footballer that is constantly being regressed from any form of creativity. Has found his place as a limited LCB that’s sole purpose is to recycle the ball between a proper a fullback and a steady CB.

He does not belong in a premier league team.

SAFMUTD

He’s regressed massively, looks slower and slower each game and gives nothing in attack, we should get rid. Not remotely good enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s regressed massively, looks slower and slower each game and gives nothing in attack, we should get rid. Not remotely good enough.
He played as a centre back yesterday, you realise that right?

SAFMUTD

He played as a centre back yesterday, you realise that right?
I know, but I’m not talking about yesterday’s game only. I dont think we plan to use him as a CB in a 5 man defense. His main position is LB where he offers very little.

Himannv

Personally I believe in Luke Shaw and I think he'll do well for us once he gets more games (as has been the case before). All he needs is regular game time. I agree that Brandon Williams offers more attacking threat than him at the moment so is rightly ahead in the pecking order. I wouldn't write off Shaw so soon though, he's a player with potential to offer more IMO.

dutchred

I personally think his best position is LCB. he isn't explosive enough to be an attacking full back. But he is good defensively and has good distribution. I thinjk our best back 4 is
AWB (Laird) Maguire Shaw Williams

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He said something similar about Antonio Valencia before we faced him at Bayern. I've always been a massive Valencia fan, but that praise was a bit OTT.
You are referring to the best winger in the world comment? He was at Barcelona and Valencia was unplayable at the time and arguably the most effective winger around.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
You are referring to the best winger in the world comment? He was at Barcelona and Valencia was unplayable at the time and arguably the most effective winger around.
I'm sure he said something about him when he faced Moyes too. But I could have been mistaken, and that the old remarks you're talking about just resurfaced at the time. Tried looking it up, but couldn't find it, so most likely it is as you say.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm sure he said something about him when he faced Moyes too. But I could have been mistaken, and that the old remarks you're talking about just resurfaced at the time. Tried looking it up, but couldn't find it, so most likely it is as you say.
To be fair you still have a point, at the time people raised eyebrows because it wasn't a fashionable opinion. In the case of Shaw, I have wondered about a move to CB, as a youngster his best attributes were defensive and when he defends with the ball infront of him he makes life very difficult for the opposition, I don't know how good/bad he is in the air though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I personally think his best position is LCB. he isn't explosive enough to be an attacking full back. But he is good defensively and has good distribution. I thinjk our best back 4 is
AWB (Laird) Maguire Shaw Williams
I wouldn't say explosive is the right word, he is actually quite "explosive" from a standing still.

What he can't do though is repeat that over and over, and he doesn't cross from the correct positions.

He IS a good defender and passer of the ball though, and aerially is decent. I made a thread about him being a CM before as I suspected the same things, but a CB in a 3 man defence would work well.

Stacks

It was approaching the 2011 final. Pep was gassing as usual. Tony V topped the CL charts in neither goals nor assists. He registered 3 goals and 5 assists that season although had many injuries.

Players like Di Maria were about then, registering 26 assists. Tony V was pure hyperbole and a very limited Winger. He is more comparable to Aaron Lennon. Hell Eto'o and Robben were better wide players at the time and Ribery.

marktan

If he could run at full pelt when attacking and actually overlap from time to time he'd be world class. Ever since his leg break back in 2015 he's been really reluctant to attack at full pace. He's technically sound and still young, but he could be much better than what he is now.

LJJT

Played very well tonight I’m not a big fan of his but did very well tonight. Hopefully the competition Williams brings will improve him

RedIan

Agree, played very well tonight. hes coming back to his best but seems to have lost the cutting edge in attack?

Irwin99

Actually thought he played reasonably well. Defended well.

He was tempted to shirt grab at one stage but it just turned into a body check and no booking. Progress is being made :drool:

Andersons Dietician

Couple of sloppy bits at the end but he was probably my man of the match. Tough call between Fred, he and Maguire.
Was pretty aggressive on Traore and had a proper duel with him. Showed he could go strength to strength with him and thought he was actually pretty good at going forward. Nice cut back for the Fernandes chance.

Solid bit of defending on 8 mins to realise the CB’s had screwed up. Did well to get across and snuff out the danger especially since he was already marking 2.

Raven

Played very well today, still clearly better than Williams for me. I don't think he's quite back to full match fitness, the break will help get the team back to where we need.

Renegade

Is it too much too ask for our fullback’s to be able to overlap with urgency and deliver decent balls into the box?

all well and good being defensively solid but we need more when we’re the home team trying to be break teams down.

RedDevil@84

Don't really see the fuss. He didn't feck up, which seems to be termed as "brilliant" nowadays.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Honestly think he had a solid game.

Kept Adama quiet and had no help from anyone in front of him.

Managed to get forward too although he didn't do much when up there.

Healthy competition might be the saving of him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Praising him for being good defensively while not even trying to be helpful in the attack is ridiculous. AWB is poor attacking wise but at least he is up and down all by himself all the time despite being poor on the ball, Shaw has so many times open space to run into and he shamelessly just ignores it and stays in his position while we keep struggling to find the space.

I still think he has all the potential he needs, but there were so many fullbacks over the years with far less ability who turned out te be better fullbacks just because they actually gave their all in every game they played and were top professionals to start with unlike Shaw who struggles to finish a game. Reminds me of Anderson in that regard.

Andersons Dietician

Praising him for being good defensively while not even trying to be helpful in the attack is ridiculous. AWB is poor attacking wise but at least he is up and down all by himself all the time despite being poor on the ball, Shaw has so many times open space to run into and he shamelessly just ignores it and stays in his position while we keep struggling to find the space.

I still think he has all the potential he needs, but there were so many fullbacks over the years with far less ability who turned out te be better fullbacks just because they actually gave their all in every game they played and were top professionals to start with unlike Shaw who struggles to finish a game. Reminds me of Anderson in that regard.
You do realise he was up against the fastest player in the world? Who happens to be playing very well this season. it would be stupid to just launch forward at every Oppertunity and leave Traore with a head start on him.

He also did get forward, did occasionally make over lapping runs but clear today he was tasked with just getting to Traore as soon as the ball went to him.

This shouldn’t need explaining. Oh and he set up one of our best chances.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You do realise he was up against the fastest player in the world? Who happens to be playing very well this season. it would be stupid to just launch forward at every Oppertunity and leave Traore with a head start on him.

He also did get forward, did occasionally make over lapping runs but clear today he was tasked with just getting to Traore as soon as the ball went to him.

This shouldn’t need explaining. Oh and he set up one of our best chances.
It happens in every game, it's a general comment on his last few performances too.

Andersons Dietician

It happens in every game, it's a general comment on his last few performances too.
It doesn’t though. It’s just the the same BS that is spouted by people who either refuse to see the runs or aren’t watching the games.

Should he do it with more intensity totally, but to say he doesn’t make the runs is a complete lie. He’s also a better passer than most of our midfield and looks to play that way with combination play.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Both of our fullbacks are very good defenders. Neither particularly good on the ball though.

Shaw played well today. Had a tough opponent in Traore and kept him relatively quiet.

Bondi77

Did well and better than anyone I have seen this season against Traore,
I just wish he would go down the line more but I am sure the reason is that he knows no one is going to be in the right position to get on the end of something and he is going to get caught out defensively. Hopefully this may change when Ole can drum it into the head of Martial that he wears the #9 shirt for a reason.

Eddy_JukeZ

Agree, played very well tonight. hes coming back to his best but seems to have lost the cutting edge in attack?
He never had a cutting edge in attack.

We start 2 full-backs and neither are very good when they get to the final 3rd in terms of delivery, beating a man, etc.

Devil81

Personally, though we lacked an attacking threat down the left-hand side because of his inability to attack nowadays.

Technically he's light years ahead of anyone in defence but in terms of movement, he's useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.