Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Was way more aware today than he usually is. Knew when to run and get the ball on Sheffield's half.

slored1

Was very good I thought. Started a bit rusty but got better and better as the game progressed.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't know if it's tactical or what but he leaves so much space for the opposition right winger, better teams will punish us for that.

In possession he was tidy and looked like he enjoyed going forward far more than he did defending.

criticalanalysis

First 60 mins was poor-okay. Then 65-80mins he decides to channel his LVG days. Finally 80-90mins he was just absolutely knackered.

Bit disappointing he decided to push and have some intensity when the game over but hopefully this improves his stamina.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not sure what a lot of you were watching. He was very good today. Looked tired like everyone, but was still making runs up until the end. Wonderful ball to Ighalo that should've resulted in a goal.

KennyBurner

Tells you all you need to know about his approach to games. He was decent in the second half but early on he was too slow on the ball and indecisive. Needs to be more active on the ball and direct with space.

Andersons Dietician

I don't know if it's tactical or what but he leaves so much space for the opposition right winger, better teams will punish us for that.

In possession he was tidy and looked like he enjoyed going forward far more than he did defending.
I was going to mention this as well. I think it’s some sort of tactic. Like he is supposed to push up and Rashford goes inside. Then Matic was supposed to cover the space behind. I’ve seen it in a few games mostly Fred doing it but it doesn’t seem to work.

There were a few times early on where Matic hasn’t gone across and Rashford hasn’t tracked back and it’s been Shaw vs 2 or 3. After the first drink break I think they made a change and Matic just dropped in to make it a back 3 centrally and Lindelof and Maguire split.
I do think after that the rest of the game he was damn impressive Ighalo should have finished that chance Shaw created.

Not sure if at the end he had cramp, kept going to his right leg. Hope it’s just that and not an injury. Seemed to still manage the odd sprint in the final 5 mins inbetween mucking about with whatever was happening with his leg.

Andersons Dietician

Tells you all you need to know about his approach to games. He was decent in the second half but early on he was too slow on the ball and indecisive. Needs to be more active on the ball and direct with space.
In fairness don’t think Harry is in any place to be telling anyone to “switch on” he Maguire was playing pretty poorly and constantly getting pulled out of position and just going for wonders leaving massive gaps.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Had very good game today, his final ball is not good but he is very good in build up play.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
On the tactics, why does he tuck in defensively? Hes about 10 yards inside the box when we're defending, and always has to run out to close the opposition wide players. Must be coached but looks so weird.

Also appeared to be the same height as Jagielka on corners. Feels wrong.

izec

That first half was broderline disgraceful. What an excuse of an effort that was. Absolutely pathetic.

diarm

Yeah I thought the first half was very poor from him but he was much improved later on, especially in the last 25 minutes. It's 99% mental with him - half the time he's just not concentrating or alert enough.

Mickson

For the record, I thought he was decent today. Did his job. 6-7/10 something. However, I'm always amazed at how low standard people have. He was great? Was he? How much did he score, or assist or create? Not much huh. Barely made it forward except a little in the second half in a game where we absolutely dominated all game. Chilwell has scored more this season than Shaw ever has, it says it all. As always, he doesn't produce very much going forward. Had a pretty easy game in defense where he did his job, but I thought he switched off at times, it seems like Maguire agrees with that.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Williams needs to be the starter next season. Shaw is too slow and doesn't offer much offensively. We should be looking for a replacement as our fullbacks offensively don't offer much.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
On the tactics, why does he tuck in defensively? Hes about 10 yards inside the box when we're defending, and always has to run out to close the opposition wide players. Must be coached but looks so weird.

It happens on both sides but teams are exploiting our left because AWB does a better job in catching up and protecting the space while Shaw is not doing that.

Its a pressing thing though. Overload the ball area and let the opposition try diagonal balls.

meamth

Quite liking the early diagonal hard pass to strikers.

Think that is something they practiced. Once it's perfected, can see it becoming dangerous.

SambaBoy

Thought he has done really well the last two games, keeps our attacks flowing with good passing and appreciation of space. I think he has helped massively by having Pogba, Martial and Rashford who naturally like to come out to the left, he can play little triangles and quick passing. In contrast, AWB is basically alone on the other side and doesn't have that advantage.

Tarrou

Wasn't his best performance but Shaw usually takes a bit of time to play himself into fitness and form

Was one of the in-form players before the break, but I expect it will take a few more games before he returns to that level

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he was good again. First half included. Should've had an assist after a great ball to Ighalo. After Pogba's pass to Rashford, that was the ball of the game.

kiristao

I have been saying this for a while now. He is always scrambling to get to the winger and is pretty much never able to block the cross from coming in.

abkmufc92

I don't understand his positioning when we are defending, it's clearly tactical as he does it every single game but it doesn't make any sense.

He is practically playing on top of Maguire and leaves too much space for the opposition players to attack in to.

AWB tucks in at times too but unlike Shaw he has the pace to to close down the opposition but Shaw doesn't.

For some reason we seem to think that this improves our defending in the box but we defend worse when he does this and concede far too many chances from his side.

Raven

I thought he struggled a little when he had the sun in his eyes in the first half but then went back to his usual classy self.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think we need to remember it was 30 degrees last night. He was probably pacing himself a little bit more than usual.

He's a big boy and obviously can't run up and down the line intensely in that sort of heat for 90 minutes.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He played well yesterday but he leaves a bit too much space for the opposition for me. There was a bit yesterday when Sheffield had the ball on their left side and switched quickly to the right. Their player on the right had acres of space to attack as Shaw went far to tight to Maguire and ended up having to leg it out to close the space down, and it was something the commentators spotted immediately. He seems to do that quite a few times.

He's a good player, but he does have to be a bit more switched on, and not ball watching.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

I've noticed this often with Shaw and wondered if its tactical instruction or Shaws poor positioning at fault. I think you're right, you don't want to give a good pacy winger that much space.

romufc

I've noticed this often with Shaw and wondered if its tactical instruction or Shaws poor positioning at fault. I think you're right, you don't want to give a good pacy winger that much space.
I think with Shaw, he needs a run of games to show his true quality. I don't think he has got the confidence back from his injury.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
why does he tuck in defensively?
Probably because we feel that we need more than Maguire, Lindelof and Matic to protect Pogba and Fernandes. Most team attack through the middle. And if they dont, well, they cant do us too much harm out wide, can they? At least if we are able to outnumber them and stay well organized in the box.

Man City do the same thing.

Morpheus 7

He's the big weak link in this team. Offers nothing going forward, always flat footed, out of position constantly, refuses to overlap and be brave. There will be still people on here chatting about a good pass to Ighalo, ridiculous. He's gotten special treatment for years. Going in to a burger King with his United gear after training, he's not a good professional. Williams gives us so much more aggression and tempo, play it safe Shaw.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s a confidence player. He needs games and fitness like most players. Why do fans seem to forget this every time a player doesn’t play for a while. It takes between 5-10 consecutive games to hit top form again. Rashford has missed how many chances now and nobody is saying anything. Shaw does something wrong and everyone is automatically back to he’s shit and he’s lazy... it’s boring at this stage. He is a good player, potentially a very good player and he’s bought himself at least another season as our starting LB. I think we can take stock whether he’s kicked on enough at the end of next season and take it from there

Status
Not open for further replies.