Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

He wasn't our best defender yesterday but let's give him some leeway here, he picked up a few niggles in pre season so he's not fully fit. He does have to improve this season, if he regained the form when he first signed then we'll be very hard to break down.
Agreed, and he'll be well aware there's no real cover on his side, so he has an additional responsibility to keep himself fit and play every game.

Tarrou

wasn't Shaw the player with highest rating on here last season?

its been such a dramatic turn-around on here

pascell

Agreed, and he'll be well aware there's no real cover on his side, so he has an additional responsibility to keep himself fit and play every game.
Exactly, the game against Wolves he won't be as exposed but if we're going to play on the counter, we need to release Rashford of some defensive responsibility.

Raven

Not sure about this whole Luke Shaw hate fest. He picked up an injury in his first season which would have ended most players careers at the top level, but instead, he bided his time and came back to win our player of the season in his first full season. This guy is literal years behind in his development, but as per usual, the knives are out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Actually I wonder how quick he really is now-a-days. It's been a while since he really let loose and I can't understand why. Robertson does it every game, maximum sprints, he's a fantastic player and really great to watch. Or frustrating, since he's not a United player.

Pre injury Shaw had fantastic acceleration and top speed, the lot.
Clocked 3rd fastest on the pitch on Sunday while not even letting loose apparently.

binary bot

He made a mistake late last season and he went from getting praised for a good season to not good enough overnight. Can't remember which game it was but he failed to clear a counter from a corner.

mu4c_20le

Like him or not, the club has complete faith in him, and hasn't looked at another leftback for the last four years.

Andersonson

Like him or not, the club has complete faith in him, and hasn't looked at another leftback for the last four years.
And the only season has played over 20 matches was last season, so how can you say that? He was benched by Young and lost his place in the England squad for the same player.

He has this season to prove himself, if he cannot perform better than he has, he needs to be upgraded.

I hope i can come good, but I dont think he was our best player last season either, he got it because he wasnt bad.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can anyone tell me how many assists he’s had over his past 40/50 games? The positions he takes up has to get him at least 15.

lex talionis

I was satisfied with Shaw's performance against Chelsea. There's room for improvement but he got the job done. I'd like to see a bit more thrash in his tackling and more whip in his crosses. Between the two fullbacks Wan-Bissaka is clearly superior but Shaw looks the part.

FerociousCorgis

idk he always seems to be low on results even when he is in supposedly good form. Never really see him getting goals or assists much, or really putting in crosses that lead to anything. idk just always seems to lack that. He does have one hell of a hard shot though.

Tel074

I want Shaw to do well after that injury he deserves it but and it's a big but I simply do not think he's good enough for Uniteds level . He hasn't learnt the basics of defending even when Jose was treating him like some special case he still doesn't seem to do the basics right ...

Oldham

It's incredible the amount of criticism Shaw is getting on the Cafe now. For me he's a top player and arguably our best player last year. Can't see left back is a position we need to strengthen right now...

mango_goal

Look at the 3:35 mark into the United v Chelsea game. Shaw is standing to the left of Tammy Abraham. He does not attempt to block or do anything at all, he is just looking and walking slowly besides him, and then Abraham shots and hits the post.

Andersons Dietician

Look at the 3:35 mark into the United v Chelsea game. Shaw is standing to the left of Tammy Abraham. He does not attempt to block or do anything at all, he is just looking and walking slowly besides him, and then Abraham shots and hits the post.
You’re talking about something that takes less than a second to develop and Lindelof is in front of Tammy closing the shot. The rest of your post about him walking slowly beside him is rubbish as he does a side step but by that time Tammy is taking the shot. Even if he sprinted he wasn’t going to be able to do anything.

Are you sure you’re not getting he and McT confused as McT gives up on the situation but he was further behind Tammy.

romufc

The Caf always needs someone to blame.

Now that Ole doesnt start with Young, Smalling lets pick Luke Shaw. Feck sake get behind the players for once.

DoomSlayer

Now that Ole doesnt start with Young, Smalling lets pick Luke Shaw. Feck sake get behind the players for once.
If it's not Shaw, it will be Lindelof or McTominay. I agree that Lingard and Pereira shouldn't be undisputed starters for us and other players in the squad should be given the chance in their positions, but the other positions are pretty much solidified, and we need to back these players and the coaching staff.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Arsenal paid 10m this year to Tierney . Yes, its spread out but 10m is peanuts and we should have tried.

Luke has to improve his output this year.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

People always focus on the next weak spots of the team. Nothing wrong in it.

Shimo

Think we will see a lot more from an attacking sense from Shaw as the season progresses. There is going to be much more room for him down the left and with Rashford as a consistent partner, will be able to form a relationship.

As a defender, one on one he is rock solid, he won't be beat for pace. However, to this day as much as highly as I rate him, he still has those lapses in him where he doesn't read the players sometimes getting behind him. Was hoping at some point he'd fix that but, seems like it will always be one of his vulnerabilities.

Irwin99

I think he was my highest rated player from last season but it was a poor season from everyone overall and I'm still not sure about him. I'd love to see him run more with the ball as on the few occasions he's done it he looks such a powerful runner. The leg break and his other injury worries might still be on his mind.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People always focus on the next weak spots of the team. Nothing wrong in it.
Exactly, once an area's been fixed you naturally have to look at the next potential area for improvement. Not that I'm saying I don't think Shaw can't improve on his own, mind.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think Mourinho really ruined him, I still rate him but he was quite an attacking player and he made him worry so much about positioning and damaging him mentally where he appears a bit fragile, he is overthinking things rather than playing his game, I think it will come back out this year, I have faith in him

mango_goal

You’re talking about something that takes less than a second to develop and Lindelof is in front of Tammy closing the shot. The rest of your post about him walking slowly beside him is rubbish as he does a side step but by that time Tammy is taking the shot. Even if he sprinted he wasn’t going to be able to do anything.

Are you sure you’re not getting he and McT confused as McT gives up on the situation but he was further behind Tammy.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/luke-shaw-nearly-giving-chelsea-the-first-goal.449913/

acnumber9

I think Mourinho really ruined him, I still rate him but he was quite an attacking player and he made him worry so much about positioning and damaging him mentally where he appears a bit fragile, he is overthinking things rather than playing his game, I think it will come back out this year, I have faith in him
Yeah he really destroyed that marauding left back with zero career goals and three assists.

Alabaster Codify7

This lad is on borrowed time.

If we have a nice packet to spend in the summer, a LB should be a priority.

I'm sorry, we are Man United.

Luke Shaw is - at his peak - a 7/10 fullback. Tidy everywhere but not excellent anywhere.

When have Man United settled for 'tidy' at our best? Three names for you, in recent memory, top of my head.

Patrice Evra. Gabriel Heinze. Denis Irwin.

Every one of them leagues ahead of this boy.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yeah he really destroyed that marauding left back with zero career goals and three assists.
Attacking play isn't always goals and assists, you can take every player on and pass the ball for that player to setup the striker. He didn't play many games for us at the start but I do think he was quite an attack minded player from what I saw, stats don't tell the whole story

acnumber9

Attacking play isn't always goals and assists, you can take every player on and pass the ball for that player to setup the striker. He didn't play many games for us at the start but I do think he was quite an attack minded player from what I saw, stats don't tell the whole story
He just doesn’t have it in his game. He either doesn’t know how to do it or physically can’t. His supporting runs are awful and he creates no space for the man in front of him. He can’t cross the ball either. He can occasionally sprint in a straight line quite fast but that’s fairly redundant when he’s so out of shape he can’t do it more than once a game.

haram

Yeah because he was Marcelo before Jose arrived.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He just doesn’t have it in his game. He either doesn’t know how to do it or physically can’t. His supporting runs are awful and he creates no space for the man in front of him. He can’t cross the ball either. He can occasionally sprint in a straight line quite fast but that’s fairly redundant when he’s so out of shape he can’t do it more than once a game.
Go and re-watch some stuff from early Mourinho, he impressed so much about the defending, I honestly think Shaw is worried and paranoid about being caught out defensively and doesn't take risks, that and he can't trust his CB to step out, perhaps that will change with a more solid partnership. His crossing isn't great, he was a lot more pass and move and slipping a ball back to the edge of the box..

Yeah because he was Marcelo before Jose arrived.
Why do you have to go to extremes? I never claimed him to be WC, simply spoke to his intent from my opinion

haram

His final ball was always shit. He is a good ball carrier and that’s about it going forward.

crossy1686

career ending
A journo at the Athletic is saying that Shaw will get a run out for a majority of the season and there are no plans on replacing him anytime soon but we do have back up in a promising left back called Brandon Williams in the reserves. Apparently he'll step in at some point? Guess that also depends on Young's situation.

acnumber9

Go and re-watch some stuff from early Mourinho, he impressed so much about the defending, I honestly think Shaw is worried and paranoid about being caught out defensively and doesn't take risks, that and he can't trust his CB to step out, perhaps that will change with a more solid partnership. His crossing isn't great, he was a lot more pass and move and slipping a ball back to the edge of the box..

Why do you have to go to extremes? I never claimed him to be WC, simply spoke to his intent from my opinion
I don’t need to. I seen Shaw pre Mourinho, during Mourinho and post Mourinho and he’s had plenty of opportunities to show his attacking prowess. He just doesn’t have it. Mourinho didn’t stop Young from getting forward and he didn’t stop Shaw doing it either. Shaw himself said last year that Mourinho wanted him to get forward more. He doesn’t have the stamina to even do the basics of it.

Andersons Dietician

What section is this in as when I click on the link it says I don’t have access to it and I don’t see it in the Manchester United forum. Either way sounds like absolute trash thread is someone has some how managed to link Shaw to being at fault to Tammy hitting the post when Rashford and McT are also involved. Infact the ball richocets off Rashford to give Tammy the chance.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don’t need to. I seen Shaw pre Mourinho, during Mourinho and post Mourinho and he’s had plenty of opportunities to show his attacking prowess. He just doesn’t have it. Mourinho didn’t stop Young from getting forward and he didn’t stop Shaw doing it either. Shaw himself said last year that Mourinho wanted him to get forward more. He doesn’t have the stamina to even do the basics of it.
We agree Mourinho didn't stop Young, he also didn't slate the fundamentals of Young's performances despite him being clearly worse, you can deduce from that he wasn't a fan of Shaw, from the outside and from my limited (admittedly) opinion, it's affected him, he's so intent on defending he can't get forward. Now, people here talk in extremes; so let me clarify, I do not claim him to be the second coming of Roberto Carlos, nor do I wager he is the next Bale, simply that I found him (In his younger days) to be more attack minded than defensive, again to reiterate I didn't speak as to his quality regarding this mindset but simply that this is what I have observed, the wing back has become a full back, he needs to have some confidence and be encouraged and I think he will be a decent wing back, never top 10 in the world like some had initially hoped but a decent option at the least.

Mailo

I swear every time I see him on the screen, he looks like he carries at least 5-8kg of too much weight.

Once he is done professionally, he will be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.