Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Big season ahead for him as it is for many other players.

I can understand complaints about wanting to see more productivity in the final third because he's at an age where he does need to kick on now but it'll never fail to amaze me how regularly Shaw is given batterings by United fans. Much worse players than him have got away with far less scrutiny.

Andersons Dietician

We agree Mourinho didn't stop Young, he also didn't slate the fundamentals of Young's performances despite him being clearly worse, you can deduce from that he wasn't a fan of Shaw, from the outside and from my limited (admittedly) opinion, it's affected him, he's so intent on defending he can't get forward. Now, people here talk in extremes; so let me clarify, I do not claim him to be the second coming of Roberto Carlos, nor do I wager he is the next Bale, simply that I found him (In his younger days) to be more attack minded than defensive, again to reiterate I didn't speak as to his quality regarding this mindset but simply that this is what I have observed, the wing back has become a full back, he needs to have some confidence and be encouraged and I think he will be a decent wing back, never top 10 in the world like some had initially hoped but a decent option at the least.
I kind of agree with what you’re saying and honestly I think I can pinpoint it to a Norwich game where he wins the ball and passes it to Martial who is back helping him defend and he (Shaw) then takes off so Martial can pass the ball and Shaw is breaking clear starting a counter.

Unfortunately Martial lost the ball Shaw was then caught out of position and they went on to score. Later in the game he was trying to show someone down the line and sitting off a bit and instead they whipped in a cross from quite deep that they scored from.

After the game Jose singled him out and absolutely laid in to him in the media calling him naive and all sorts for trying to attack in that situation. Now Shaw had been a pretty regular starter till that game. After that he was barely seen again.

Anyway I do think under Jose he did spend a lot of time covering positions on the field and at times to me he does look a little shy to get forward. However I have seen him make many good decent runs where he has been ignored but he doesn’t seem to be that flying fullback that was at Southampton that would waltz past people like they weren’t there and go past 3 or 4 before cutting a ball back across the box. I want to see more of that player and I hope Ole will release him a bit but then I kind of feel that Shaw and Bissaka will be tasked with reinforcing the midfield so they might hold back quite a bit.

We’ll see how the season goes and how he performs but I hope we eventually get that guy we had for those few games before the leg break. It’s not like he sucks or anything and well he’s actually a really good footballer with a good touch and an eye for a pass. Just needs to be more adventurous.

Mr PG

Shaw is totally shit I’m sorry to say. We let his contract run down to the last year and no other team tried to steal him like Herrera. Think about it, in this era of £50m fullbacks, no team even in Europe offered him a deal knowing they could have him for free.

Don’t get me wrong he has the occasional game where he shines but he can’t sustain it long. His attacking game is terrible as well as passing. He has to tap dance swivel to always pass with his left and by then the attacking player is marked.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I kind of agree with what you’re saying and honestly I think I can pinpoint it to a Norwich game where he wins the ball and passes it to Martial who is back helping him defend and he (Shaw) then takes off so Martial can pass the ball and Shaw is breaking clear starting a counter.

Unfortunately Martial lost the ball Shaw was then caught out of position and they went on to score. Later in the game he was trying to show someone down the line and sitting off a bit and instead they whipped in a cross from quite deep that they scored from.

After the game Jose singled him out and absolutely laid in to him in the media calling him naive and all sorts for trying to attack in that situation. Now Shaw had been a pretty regular starter till that game. After that he was barely seen again.

Anyway I do think under Jose he did spend a lot of time covering positions on the field and at times to me he does look a little shy to get forward. However I have seen him make many good decent runs where he has been ignored but he doesn’t seem to be that flying fullback that was at Southampton that would waltz past people like they weren’t there and go past 3 or 4 before cutting a ball back across the box. I want to see more of that player and I hope Ole will release him a bit but then I kind of feel that Shaw and Bissaka will be tasked with reinforcing the midfield so they might hold back quite a bit.

We’ll see how the season goes and how he performs but I hope we eventually get that guy we had for those few games before the leg break. It’s not like he sucks or anything and well he’s actually a really good footballer with a good touch and an eye for a pass. Just needs to be more adventurous.
Agreed, good post

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Shaw is totally shit I’m sorry to say. We let his contract run down to the last year and no other team tried to steal him like Herrera. Think about it, in this era of £50m fullbacks, no team even in Europe offered him a deal knowing they could have him for free.

Don’t get me wrong he has the occasional game where he shines but he can’t sustain it long. His attacking game is terrible as well as passing. He has to tap dance swivel to always pass with his left and by then the attacking player is marked.
Strange way of proving he’s bad. He’s English and paid high salary which means by default teams from outside of Premier League wouldn’t even bother making him an offer.

Tarrou

Strange way of proving he’s bad. He’s English and paid high salary which means by default teams from outside of Premier League wouldn’t even bother making him an offer.
and he signed in October so it wasn't even possible for another team to make him an offer

Fer

Do you think Dalot could do a better job than Shaw in the left back position?

zenith

Do you think Dalot could do a better job than Shaw in the left back position?
Dalot is absolutely atrocious defensively speaking. If we do switch to a 5-3-2 system then he'll certainly be preferred over shaw, but not currently

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was surprisingly poor against Chelsea. Hoping for a big in the next few games.

Jacob

Shaw is a good LB, a position that is least of our problems. He's still young and learning. I have a lot of confidence in him.

SoCross

Woah why so anti-Shaw? The Caf is strange now, he’s far from an issue.

sherrinford

He was surprisingly poor against Chelsea. Hoping for a big in the next few games.
He was let down by those in front of him, but did make poor decisions when being outnumbered.

He had an underwhelming pre-season just like last year, so I was hoping he would hit the ground running as he did in last season’s opener. Hopefully gets the right support around him against Wolves and kicks on with a stronger performance.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was let down by those in front of him, but did make poor decisions when being outnumbered.

He had an underwhelming pre-season just like last year, so I was hoping he would hit the ground running as he did in last season’s opener. Hopefully gets the right support around him against Wolves and kicks on with a stronger performance.
Everyone was let down by our midfield. But he was the standout low performer. He was getting beaten to everything.

Regardless, Shaw was good last season. Looking forward to better showings.

sherrinford

Everyone was let down by our midfield. But he was the standout low performer. He was getting beaten to everything.

He kept making poor decisions and had a bad game. However, he was clearly left at a disadvantage more than any other player due to Rashford’s positioning and (lack of) tracking back (or the absence of any other teammate to accommodate Rashford’s cheating).

ramaowens

I would say that in Chelsea game he had an average game. A clean sheet (which might give some boost and motivation for improvement?), his flank wasn't attacked as much as the right one with Emerson's chances.

Red71

My major concern for Shaw is that he seems to lack either awareness of what’s around him or he just still isn’t very good at positioning himself, both of which are a bit weird/worrying.

I thought it was a cheap shot from Mourinho in the studio when he said that Maguire is going to need to get used to covering for Shaw over the course of the season. That said though, his positioning issues are something I’ve noticed under Mourinho and now Ole.

I presumed that he’d been instructed to tuck in next to the centre back and that they’d then just deal with anything that comes their way aerially but I’m not sure a manager would actually want that. You don’t see that very often with fullbacks and Ole wouldn’t have seen fullbacks play that way under SAF. He doesn’t do it all the time but he does do it enough that I’ve noticed it.

I can only think that Shaw does this because he doesn’t trust himself on the turn, or just his pace generally, if he gets tight on the flank.....which ain’t great tbf.

Not sure if there’s another explanation but that should be a big concern if he doesn’t back himself. Hopefully it’s something the staff can address, particularly if it’s just a positioning thing...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I feel like Shaw always starts the season slow and only starts picking up his form after a few games.

ravi2

Shaw has room for improvement but he is by no means our biggest concern on the field at the moment.

Canagel

Woah why so anti-Shaw? The Caf is strange now, he’s far from an issue.
Because now we upgraded the players next to him everyone is starting to see his averageness and that he's nowhere near as good as previously hyped. Playing next to deadwood like Smalling, Jones, Young etc covered him for a time.

SoCross

Because now we upgraded the players next to him everyone is starting to see his averageness and that he's nowhere near as good as previously hyped. Playing next to deadwood like Smalling, Jones, Young etc covered him for a time.
After one competitive game, everyone is starting to see his averageness. Jesus H.

Andersons Dietician

:lol::lol: Jesus. I really don’t get what people want from him. He’s solid defensively was good against Chelsea despite being hung out to dry first half. Was aggressive at winning the ball back, got forward, put in crosses, tackled people what is it people are truly expecting from a LB.

Mr PG

Compare Shaw with Emerson for Chelsea and tell me if you think Shaw is anywhere good enough.

Andersons Dietician

Compare Shaw with Emerson for Chelsea and tell me if you think Shaw is anywhere good enough.
I mean he’s easily comfortably better than Emerson so what are you really asking here? At least use a decent comparison like Robertson or Digne then you might get better responses but even then who is really at that level that is available and arguably Shaw is still better defensively than both of those.

Last edited:

Mr PG

I mean he’s easily comfortably better than Emerson so what are you really asking here? At least use a decent comparison like Robertson or Digne then you might get better responses but even then who is really at that level that is available and arguably Shaw is still better defensively than both of those.
He’s not but used to be but he’s gained so much weight he runs out of gas after a short while

SoCross

He’s not but used to be but he’s gained so much weight he runs out of gas after a short while
Mate, do you even watch Shaw play? If anything, he’s returned leaner. His endurance is also quite good!

Andersons Dietician

Mate, do you even watch Shaw play? If anything, he’s returned leaner. His endurance is also quite good!
What’s funnier the guy he’s chosen to make his stand on has played 1060 mins in the premiership and some of those minutes were as a LM. My guess is Sunday was the first time he seen him play and he was impressed with his two shots. That’s it.

SoCross

What’s funnier the guy he’s chosen to make his stand on has played 1060 mins in the premiership and some of those minutes were as a LM. My guess is Sunday was the first time he seen him play and he was impressed with his two shots. That’s it.
You may get a request to change your username to Shaws Dietician!

Andersons Dietician

You may get a request to change your username to Shaws Dietician!
To be honest I keep telling myself not to go in the Shaw or Martial threads as they are normally both full of lunatics spouting rubbish but I keep getting dragged back in time and time again.

criticalanalysis

My major concern for Shaw is that he seems to lack either awareness of what’s around him or he just still isn’t very good at positioning himself, both of which are a bit weird/worrying.

I thought it was a cheap shot from Mourinho in the studio when he said that Maguire is going to need to get used to covering for Shaw over the course of the season. That said though, his positioning issues are something I’ve noticed under Mourinho and now Ole.

I presumed that he’d been instructed to tuck in next to the centre back and that they’d then just deal with anything that comes their way aerially but I’m not sure a manager would actually want that. You don’t see that very often with fullbacks and Ole wouldn’t have seen fullbacks play that way under SAF. He doesn’t do it all the time but he does do it enough that I’ve noticed it.

I can only think that Shaw does this because he doesn’t trust himself on the turn, or just his pace generally, if he gets tight on the flank.....which ain’t great tbf.

Not sure if there’s another explanation but that should be a big concern if he doesn’t back himself. Hopefully it’s something the staff can address, particularly if it’s just a positioning thing...
Yeah that's the biggest thing for me. Not just specifically in defensive positions but his all round play. He seems to be second guessing a lot and tentative.

That's fine if that's your style but it's actively hindering him and his contributions. His best moments as almost always instinctive, first time passes, brilliant first touches, kick and runs, overlaps etc.

Hopefully he builds more of a relationship with Maguire, Rashford, Pogba etc on that left side and raise his game because he's more than capable.

luke511

He was painfully average against Chelsea, it was like he's avoiding running at his full speed so he didn't Traveller himself out. Because it's the first game of season I think we'll see an improvement, it's looking like he's lost that lightning pace for good though.

Red_toad

He was strongly linked to Spurs when his contract was running down and Chelsea. If he was leaving it was going to be another English club. So a bit silly to say there was no interest in him, as there obviously was.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Emerson? What a terrible comparison to try make your point :lol:
He makes a good point. In our game against Chelsea, Emersons contribution to his team was way better than Shaws. Your reaction even underlines his point, as we should be expecting more.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He makes a good point. In our game against Chelsea, Emersons contribution to his team was way better than Shaws. Your reaction even underlines his point, as we should be expecting more.
Except it wasn't. Shaw was tasked with marking two players the majority of the game and he came out of it with a clean sheet and barely giving them a good chance. Meanwhile how many did Emerson concede?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was painfully average against Chelsea, it was like he's avoiding running at his full speed so he didn't Traveller himself out. Because it's the first game of season I think we'll see an improvement, it's looking like he's lost that lightning pace for good though.
Strange how he avoids top speed and has lost that lightning pace but is still clocked the third fast player on the pitch. God knows what that says for the 20+ players who were slower than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.