Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edy2

He's not a left back but will do the job, play Dalot there.

Anyone but Young - massive step backwards if he starts for us, ever.

Rather Romero over Young
Dalot is injured as well I believe.

Revaulx

You think there's a lot in it? Young has had the worst individual games and can be more untidy (no surprise given he might actually try and beat a player or put a cross in) but I prefer his attitude and the fact he occasionally offers something going forward. Defensively I don't see much between them, not least because the days of wingers looking to beat the fullbacks are gone and so often not a lot is asked of them.

Neither's good enough of course.
Young was also horribly exposed at right back by being expected to run the entire right flank on his own, there being no proper right sided attackers. At least at left back he should have a player in front of him.

Greck

Wonder if it's the new high intensity game (that we've played against Wolves and Chelsea only to be fair, couldn't see the same intensity against Palace) that's taking its toll. Martial pulled out with a muscular injury too, no?
Time will tell but the common knowledge in health studies is muscle injuries are minimised with load management. So when we were sounding off about how our new fitness workload programme was intense I was a bit worried it sounded old fashioned and the boys would start breaking down early in the season. Having said that Shaw seems to breaks down regardless of what fitness programme he's on

Renegade

Time will tell but the common knowledge in health studies is muscle injuries are minimised with load management. So when we were sounding off about how our new fitness workload programme was intense I was a bit worried it sounded old fashioned and the boys would start breaking down early in the season. Having said that Shaw seems to breaks down regardless of what fitness programme he's on
He was rubbing the back off his leg as if he felt something during the Chelsea game I recall, so you could be on to something there.

fps

Shaw's been playing while carrying something from the summer. This means he's not been at his best. I suggest this because of the reports of the calf strain, from not long before season started, and his tendency to play a lot of games, such as last season, not wanting to let the team down, especially given the lack of quality cover on his side.

The savage nature of posters on here about a human being, with all their reasons for having ups and downs... I wonder how others would say you perform in your job, given the levels you judge others by.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tbh I just don't think Shaws body is cut out for this sort of workload.

There's a reason he doesn't sprint full speed for 80% of the match, he's constantly just jogging around at half speed until the last moment.

If you compare his running stats to other fullbacks he's doing no more than any other.

BlueHaze

I'm fine with him being injured, it happens. What I am not fine with is using Young as his backup....

SweetRightFoot

So much Shaw bashing in this thread, it's a bit ridiculous isn't it? He's a solid player, few better than him in the league (Robertson, Chillwell, maybe Digne, probably on par with Rose and Zinchenko) with his best years ahead of him.

Slating him for getting injured is a bit cheap to me, it's not like he's unfit or throwing himself into reckless challenges like Bailly. I'd hazard a guess that he wouldn't get half as much stick for being injured if we weren't left with Young as his back up (who will probably do fine for the next 4 or so games now he's got Rashford or James in front of him instead of Martial).

Definitely not a a glaring weak spot in the squad and definitely not a position we should be looking at reinforcing immediately (ie. centre mid, right wing, target man striker).

Reactions: Dargonk

parkthebuslads

Of course. As should anyone who actually watches them play.
Clearly not! I think Shaw really benefits from his reputation when joining us and also from the various quotes which spoke of him being potentially the best in the world etc. People assume he's out of form or that at any point he's going to transform into the player that he's wrongly been built up to be.

Enigma_87

You know who
Shaw played a lot last year without injuries.

Very harsh on him to be slated on pulling a muscle. Happens. He will get back soon enough.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Clearly not! I think Shaw really benefits from his reputation when joining us and also from the various quotes which spoke of him being potentially the best in the world etc. People assume he's out of form or that at any point he's going to transform into the player that he's wrongly been built up to be.
Young has better final delivery but his build play is very poor. He lacks composure, so he always tries those long passes which more often than not ends up as failure. Shaw is opposite, his final pass is poor but his build up play is good.

Tomb Bombadil

Supports
Arsenal
So much Shaw bashing in this thread, it's a bit ridiculous isn't it? He's a solid player, few better than him in the league (Robertson, Chillwell, maybe Digne, probably on par with Rose and Zinchenko) with his best years ahead of him.

Slating him for getting injured is a bit cheap to me, it's not like he's unfit or throwing himself into reckless challenges like Bailly. I'd hazard a guess that he wouldn't get half as much stick for being injured if we weren't left with Young as his back up (who will probably do fine for the next 4 or so games now he's got Rashford or James in front of him instead of Martial).

Definitely not a a glaring weak spot in the squad and definitely not a position we should be looking at reinforcing immediately (ie. centre mid, right wing, target man striker).
Shaw is a solid LB but not really top6 material in my eyes (anymore). As you say not the glaring weak spot. But he's the most expensive fullback in the league (something like £150.000 a week) and he's very injury prone. So for his income you don't ge enough output. And of course is not really his fault that he's that injury prone but the problem is still there.

Rajma

Should be replaced next summer, you can’t rely on him given his injury record and when played he’s still making same mistakes he did few years ago, improved very little given we were paying for potential mostly at that time.

chb23

He is the least of our worries in the team. All those wanting to sell him are idiots. We have so many urgent spots to fill already. Ie midfield and right wing

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Defensively competent yet utterly uninspiring offensively.
Can be comfortably upgraded in a attacking sense.

Bwuk

Defensively competent yet utterly uninspiring offensively.
Can be comfortably upgraded in a attacking sense.
I'm not even sure I'd agree that he's defensively competent, he always allows his man to get the cross in.

luke511

We need a left back in the summer. Shaw is squad/back up player quality at the moment, hardly reliable as well.

Sterling Archer

When you watch some of our rivals' fullbacks take players on, ping 40 yard diagonals and perfect crosses you can't help but feel we're missing something important in our backline.

Gary Neville style fullbacks are out. Dani Alves is in.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I cringe whenever he gets the ball past the halfway line, literally offering nothing going forward. Go back ten years and we had pat bombing up and down, yes his delivery was questionable but his ability to go from defence to attack was top notch, not to mention he could dribble.

Thing is, his defending was supposed to be his strongest suit yet here we are watching him struggle with that side of his game.

Guapa

Time to face it.He’s just not that good.Needs to be replace next summer.

Dve

I think Shaw has had a very good start of the season. His injury will weaken United.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Young has better final delivery but his build play is very poor. He lacks composure, so he always tries those long passes which more often than not ends up as failure. Shaw is opposite, his final pass is poor but his build up play is good.
Shaw's build up play is infamously slow and tedious, no? As a fullback he is in unusually predictable in the build up. Makes it easy for defenders to press our team when Shaw refuses to move into the space in front of him.

Andersons Dietician

Shaw's build up play is infamously slow and tedious, no? As a fullback he is in unusually predictable in the build up. Makes it easy for defenders to press our team when Shaw refuses to move into the space in front of him.
By build up play he means the passing to get himself opportunities and create angles. Something he does really well in the little triangles he works with people on his left side.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
By build up play he means the passing to get himself opportunities and create angles. Something he does really well in the little triangles he works with people on his left side.
I know what you mean, and agree he is capable. His passing is not bad at all, its his hesitation to play when he doesn't have players close by him. He just stands around and wait for them to come close and if they wont come he'll take forever to wait then just pass back to the CB. It is very predictable and happens a lot. Maybe he has stagnated a bit there because he knows what he does well and wait for the game to come to him. He needs to run into space sometimes, he is not a midfield playmaker:lol:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Does anyone here still think he will become a good player?
If he was as young as Lingard, we could say that he has still room for improvement.

Unfortunately, he's only playing because his rivals are Ashley long balls and Marcos tackle man

Irwin99

He is a good player but I have my doubts as to whether he'll ever become a top player. Injuries, stamina issues, and a lack of attacking quality as well as little defensive lapses here and there really detract from the good side of his game, e.g very good technique/first touch, good passer of the ball and a good one on one defender.

I know he had that horrific injury but I think he's been here 5 years now. There really hasn't been a lot of progress other than him being fully fit for most of last season and winning a very charitable player of the year award. I'd give him another year or two as there are way more pressing concerns in this squad but I hope he becomes a better player for us.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think he's an average LB but I like his presence in the squad. He's alright you don't need a world class player every position so I'm okay with him being there.

My only concern his him + AWB makes our offenses look pretty weak.

arthurka

If he was as young as Lingard, we could say that he has still room for improvement.

Unfortunately, he's only playing because his rivals are Ashley long balls and Marcos tackle man
Again not sure Lingard is the standard we should be aiming for. But I think he is living on just how bad our squad is. He is really just average at best.

Renegade

I think if he had stronger competition he would soon find himself as 2nd choice. Poor output and reliability. I was screaming for Tierney in the summer, we missed a trick there I feel.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think he still can become a good player. He has better passing ability than Bissaka and I thought his delivery is better than Bissaka as well. Bissaka is obviously freak and miles better in defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.