Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexit

He's finished methinks. Unfortunate as I hoped it would have worked out for him. I was genuinely excited when we signed him from Southampton.

romufc

He's decent-good defensively and awful going forward. That isn't a good LB for me, it's a half-good LB. Add in his injury record and he becomes a below average LB based on being completely unreliable.

200k a week is amazing. This club is fecked.
That is the biggest reason to get rid. You cannot go into a season competing for trophies without even knowing if your first choice LB will be fit for most games.

Most successful teams have one thing in common, a settled back 5 that picks itself.

Ed Woodward always gets bullied into giving big contracts to players. How Shaw managed to get that, Lingard 100k etc..

We need not to be scared of losing these kind of players. They are not key players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's decent-good defensively and awful going forward. That isn't a good LB for me, it's a half-good LB. Add in his injury record and he becomes a below average LB based on being completely unreliable.

200k a week is amazing. This club is fecked.
He's not awful offensively. The strange thing is he is actually 'decent-good' (not great) going forward, he just doesn't do it anywhere near enough. He's got a great touch, very good short passer, when he actually decides to charge forward with pace he can get through the opposition defence. I'd rate him as quite a bit better than AWB when he actually does go forward (although obviously that isn't saying all that much). Shaw has the ability to be quite effective in attack, but he just doesn't seem to have any idea when and how to really do it so he's nowhere near as effective as he really should be.

He's also better defensively than you are giving him credit for. He does have a tendency sometimes to stand off his man just a touch too much so they can get a cross in, but otherwise he's one of the best defensive leftbacks in the league.

Of course his injury issues are a big problem and the question has to be be asked whether he brings enough to the table when he's fit to make up for the absences. But the reason that is questionable is because he's better than you are giving him credit for. He was only at the level you are saying it'd be an easy answer.

redshaw

Shaw is only 24 as well. Feels like he's been on the treatment table for 8 years.

He's a decent player but playing football is a risk for him. Might be best for him to leave and some other club can do tests to find out his 4 pork pies a day are giving him bone disease. No-one at our club will help or find anything.

led_scholes

When he is fit, he is consistent. Nothing amazing but surely nowhere near The Jesse Lingard-Phil Jones category. Even if he was always fit, you could argue that he is not a top left back and could be replaced. However, given that we have other areas to fix, we should just hope he stays fit for the next couple years, until we have a better understanding of Brandon Williams' potential. I know it's a big IF but he proved last year that he can stay fit for a longer period.

arthurka

One of those players that needs to be shipped out he and Jones would make for a killer duo on the treatment table.

Kostov

If you can't stay fit, what is the use of a player to a team? He should be given till the end of the season, if he does not show improvement and better shape, he should be sold.

Pearl's a minger

Could be a useful squad option, unfortunately his injury record speaks for itself. Somewhere in there is a solid player. However, money talks and if someone offered an acceptable fee for him it would be advantageous for both parties to go separate ways.

Based Adnan

Not sure what he was doing for the Astana second goal. Best paid left back in the world by the way....

el3mel

He'll improve because he was rusty but he'll improve to what degree ? Even at his best state he's just a pure average fullback on both sides of the pitch.

Jonno

He'll improve because he was rusty but he'll improve to what degree ? Even at his best state he's just a pure average fullback on both sides of the pitch.
at his best he was one of the most exiting fullbacks in the premier league.

pure average is what he is at present

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Officially he got the assist and should have had one more for the Chong's chance, that's for stats. When it comes to his game, it was underwhelming, he was reluctant to take on the defender even when there was huge space on the left side, he didn't support Gomes with overlapping runs. Coming back from injury might be the reason too but he needs to step up with club's briefing that Williams is ahead in the pecking order and Shaw should fight for his position.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
One or two occasional moments of Shaw foraging forward to decent effect yet , with the space in his half and the obvious fact Gomes was double marked, you'd question why he didnt get forward more often ?

Come to the conclusion he's reluctant to get forward primarily because he lacks the courage and intent to do so.

arthurka

Second goal was him at his best. He looks like weight watchers client on a relapse.

Bwuk

Lives off of a 8 game period under LvG before he broke his leg.

Complete myth of a player. Lazy and a poor attitude.

Second goal was him at his best. He looks like weight watchers client on a relapse.
His tracking back is horrendous. Just so lazy.

jackal&hyde

Officially he got the assist and should have had one more for the Chong's chance, that's for stats. When it comes to his game, it was underwhelming, he was reluctant to take on the defender even when there was huge space on the left side, he didn't support Gomes with overlapping runs. Coming back from injury might be the reason too but he needs to step up with club's briefing that Williams is ahead in the pecking order and Shaw should fight for his position.
Yep. His first game after a long injury so it's understandable. Could have had 2 assist like you say so it's an ok game. Looked a bit...buff, let's say.

Andersons Dietician

2nd goal was clearly Bernards fault. Bernard goes to Left back as Shaw was up field, Shaw sees this and moves to cover Bernard at CB as any good LB or RB would do and for some reason Bernard decides to inexplicably leave LB position and leave a guy wide open.

You even see Shaw recognise Bernard has just fecked up and he goes to sprint out to the guy from behind Bernard but then it’s too late.

If anything he should be hammered for it was in the first half when he didn’t cut out that shot that allowed someone inbehind.
Any way did well when he was having to defend against 2 players due to a lack of help, crucial header good few blocks and best of all got forward and caused issues and picked out some nice offensive passes.

He also did make runs overlapping Gomez and as per usual it’s like the CAF have some blind spot on the left where if the ball doesn’t go to the overlapping player then it never happened.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have given up on him. I used to be a fan but I have no expectations. His involvement on the ball is weak. He is so left-footed if he gets pressed he chooses the safe option and goes back. He doesn't push up at the right times. He takes a run every now and then but often you'll see a bunch of space and he doesn't know that he supposed to use it. He also does that Lindelof thing of walking with the ball taking 5 touches on the ball with his arms out and when the run comes he turns around and passes back because it is all so slow and predictable. He is not good enough solely as a defender and I think he has regressed in that department, and while his development has been slowly growing going forward his style of play just isn't very profitable. If he had a strong cross or just some composure around the box, sure I would have some hope left but I strongly doubt he'll ever develop that to a satisfactory level. You can barely count on him defensively and offensively you can't count on him contributing with either assists, work-rate or any type of quick play.

People already writing AWB off for supposedly not being an attacking fullback, I don't know what that makes Shaw.

Nickelodeon

His overlap runs are actually quite effective and he created a fantastic Chong. But it seems like he's not giving his all (even before his injury). He sometimes runs but those are like 2 or 3 runs in 90 mins which is just not good enough. I do fear that he doesn't have the fitness levels needed and he himself knows it. The lack of urgency from him really pisses me off.

Terminator

He's fantastic in possession and should have had an assist for the Chong chance. Defensively though, he was poor for the second goal.

arthurka

2nd goal was clearly Bernards fault. Bernard goes to Left back as Shaw was up field, Shaw sees this and moves to cover Bernard at CB as any good LB or RB would do and for some reason Bernard decides to inexplicably leave LB position and leave a guy wide open.

You even see Shaw recognise Bernard has just fecked up and he goes to sprint out to the guy from behind Bernard but then it’s too late.

If anything he should be hammered for it was in the first half when he didn’t cut out that shot that allowed someone inbehind.
Any way did well when he was having to defend against 2 players due to a lack of help, crucial header good few blocks and best of all got forward and caused issues and picked out some nice offensive passes.

He also did make runs overlapping Gomez and as per usual it’s like the CAF have some blind spot on the left where if the ball doesn’t go to the overlapping player then it never happened.
Again he is a left back right? But I get what you are saying but if you look at it again he is covering as a CB in a space where there are already people marking up all the players. Of course he should have tugged to the left and give cover to the guy who is in that spot. I have said it here many times he is a terrible left back, his stamina is non existent and his positioning is awful. I haven´t seen a fullback play in a top team that allows as many crosses to go past him, I am glad we have moved on to Williams who is young and will make mistakes but looks to have a great pass on him and stamina and as a plus seems to cover his side pretty well.

Andersons Dietician

Again he is a left back right? But I get what you are saying but if you look at it again he is covering as a CB in a space where there are already people marking up all the players. Of course he should have tugged to the left and give cover to the guy who is in that spot. I have said it here many times he is a terrible left back, his stamina is non existent and his positioning is awful. I haven´t seen a fullback play in a top team that allows as many crosses to go past him, I am glad we have moved on to Williams who is young and will make mistakes but looks to have a great pass on him and stamina and as a plus seems to cover his side pretty well.
Well we see it completely different as Tuanzebe is there Bernard went out wide and Gardener had gone to help Bernard. Shaw is covering CB as he should do. As any LB or Right back should do. Bernard just has a little bit of a brain fart and gets caught between two jobs and then unfortunately scores an OG.

I mean you’re entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree with any of it and think Shaw will have that place back before Christmas no bother.

On Williams did you miss the last game where he made gaff after gaff and got completley dominated and even tripped up over the ball? The kid certainly had some qualities but there isn’t a chance in hell he is taking over the LB position. Tackles with the wrong foot on that side and seems very reluctant to slide on that side. I’m surprised he is even played at LB when he looks so uncomfortable with people going down the outside of him.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s 24/25 and he hasn’t been able to handle his weight. A lot of men in here would tell you after 25..... forget it. There’s literally no way in hell hes going to miraculously, genetically or ‘athletically’ transform his body into one that can trim down from here. It’s a major component to his injuries. It’s no coincidence that he’s been on the treatment table for most of season game time.

Never mind he’s got single digit IQ with the focus of a gold fish in defensive transitions. Toss in the fact that he’s bang useless in attack too.

It’s not like he’s chunky and great at football (Rooney). He’s just fat and costing us millions to keep him fat and around.

Andersons Dietician

Ah feck. That's us having to go get a new LB in the summer then.
I doubt it. We will have Shaw, Dalot and Williams who can all play LB. Getting a left footed LB might be good as cover but don’t really see the point. Shaw when fit is a quality LB even if half the CAF can’t see that. He also played almost all of last season. Unfortunate that he picked up a hamstring injury but hopefully he’ll be good for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed.
The guy is quality. I mean what other under rated Caf players have recently left for other pastures and are excelling at another club. Wait their names are on the tip of my tongue...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I doubt it. We will have Shaw, Dalot and Williams who can all play LB. Getting a left footed LB might be good as cover but don’t really see the point. Shaw when fit is a quality LB even if half the CAF can’t see that. He also played almost all of last season. Unfortunate that he picked up a hamstring injury but hopefully he’ll be good for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed.
The guy is quality. I mean what other under rated Caf players have recently left for other pastures and are excelling at another club. Wait their names are on the tip of my tongue...
He might be underrated on here, I haven't noticed but I personally have lost most of my faith in him. I think we should expect him to be injured, expect him to not sustain any form due to probable fitness issues and expect him to not develop much due to that. If he was good enough defensively, and had a better engine I could probably overlook his tendencies to ponder on the ball and lack of end product. I would probably be exited about his future if that were the case but I just don't buy it anymore with him. I think the best player will play, hopefully it wont be just Shaw by default while Williams is left behind not being given a fair chance. In my scenario Shaw only takes his spot when he deserves it, not the other way around. That's the only difference and I think it's an important one.

Full bodied red

Mike Smalling ??

Anyway....Shaw is potentially head and shoulders clear as our best LB even if that doesn't mean he's up there yet with the PL's best LBs

Any bets whether JM will come looking for him to replace Rose ?? I'd have a £5er on it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Mike Smalling ??

Anyway....Shaw is potentially head and shoulders clear as our best LB even if that doesn't mean he's up there yet with the PL's best LBs

Any bets whether JM will come looking for him to replace Rose ?? I'd have a £5er on it.
I'd suggest thats a very quick and easy way to lose a fiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.