Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

He’s 24/25 and he hasn’t been able to handle his weight. A lot of men in here would tell you after 25..... forget it. There’s literally no way in hell hes going to miraculously, genetically or ‘athletically’ transform his body into one that can trim down from here. It’s a major component to his injuries. It’s no coincidence that he’s been on the treatment table for most of season game time.

Never mind he’s got single digit IQ with the focus of a gold fish in defensive transitions. Toss in the fact that he’s bang useless in attack too.

It’s not like he’s chunky and great at football (Rooney). He’s just fat and costing us millions to keep him fat and around.
Mate who cares what a lot of men think. I see a lot of options on the Caf that are way way off actually the truth. 25 is no age, I’ve seen blokes in their 50’s turn it around and become rip. Just more silly comments on someone being fat, it’s very tedious. Try focusing on his performances not his weight. Shaw was typically how he usually is after a long lay off, always needs to run of games to get up to speed, he’s going to struggle as he’s now got competition for his place,

Irwin99

I'd suggest thats a very quick and easy way to lose a fiver.
I agree. I never thought Jose liked Shaw. In fact, when complaining about Pep's spending on fullbacks he said he was told by the board to stick with Shaw and wait for him to achieve his potential. Pretty much confirms he wanted a new left back.

SirAF

Ageist
He’s 24/25 and he hasn’t been able to handle his weight. A lot of men in here would tell you after 25..... forget it. There’s literally no way in hell hes going to miraculously, genetically or ‘athletically’ transform his body into one that can trim down from here. It’s a major component to his injuries. It’s no coincidence that he’s been on the treatment table for most of season game time.

Never mind he’s got single digit IQ with the focus of a gold fish in defensive transitions. Toss in the fact that he’s bang useless in attack too.

It’s not like he’s chunky and great at football (Rooney). He’s just fat and costing us millions to keep him fat and around.
@Zarlak

Andersons Dietician

He might be underrated on here, I haven't noticed but I personally have lost most of my faith in him. I think we should expect him to be injured, expect him to not sustain any form due to probable fitness issues and expect him to not develop much due to that. If he was good enough defensively, and had a better engine I could probably overlook his tendencies to ponder on the ball and lack of end product. I would probably be exited about his future if that were the case but I just don't buy it anymore with him. I think the best player will play, hopefully it wont be just Shaw by default while Williams is left behind not being given a fair chance. In my scenario Shaw only takes his spot when he deserves it, not the other way around. That's the only difference and I think it's an important one.
When you say fitness issues do you mean injuries or because of his supposed weight problems?

I just never think of him as someone who ponders on the ball. He’s always looking for a pass and actually links up well with people and defensively he’s probably the best LB in the premier league. Offence doesn’t compare to Robertson of course but I really don’t think it’s as bad as people make out.

Personally I don’t think it should be Shaw by default. Positions should be earned but I haven’t really seen anything from Williams that makes me think it’s even a fair competition. Shaw as soon as he is up to full fitness will have easily reclaimed that spot.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
When you say fitness issues do you mean injuries or because of his supposed weight problems?

I just never think of him as someone who ponders on the ball. He’s always looking for a pass and actually links up well with people and defensively he’s probably the best LB in the premier league. Offence doesn’t compare to Robertson of course but I really don’t think it’s as bad as people make out.

Personally I don’t think it should be Shaw by default. Positions should be earned but I haven’t really seen anything from Williams that makes me think it’s even a fair competition. Shaw as soon as he is up to full fitness will have easily reclaimed that spot.
1. He is a big booty baller man, loads of baggage and I don't think he is carrying it too well. No, but I expected him to be much more of an athlete at this point with his speed and strength. I don't even blame him for losing some of it, but I think he still has to take responsibility for it and improve his work-rate and general fitness. Injuries is unfortunate but if he is unreliable he wont improve.

2. I think he does. I see what you see too, but the in between moments gets on my nerves now. I hate to do this, but sometimes I feel like he creates nervousness around him. :lol: Not joking though, its not that often, but I've seen a trend of him not knowing what to do and using far too much time on the ball which in some instances it seemed as this lack of assertiveness created a spirit where his teammates started to do the same after a good patch of play just before. Just something I've noticed have happened a few times so that's why I say it, I'm not pretending or creating an agenda for myself here, promise.

3. I'm on Williams side here, but obviously it's a tough ask of the youngster to start games regularly if Luke regains his form quickly.

Jev

I'm not up to date on the story here: Do we still think Shaw is our first-choice LB once he gets his fitness levels back, or is Williams playing on merit right now?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not up to date on the story here: Do we still think Shaw is our first-choice LB once he gets his fitness levels back, or is Williams playing on merit right now?
Williams is better.

Based Adnan

He looks utterly ridiculous. Must have been munching on KFC everyday whilst he was out injured.

Andersons Dietician

Solid display when he came on and improved us. Fred should have played him in though when he was wide open in the 18 yarder.

Man Utd 2:1 Spurs

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What the feck what that pass at the end! It's Luke Shaw, you know, it's hard to believe it's not Scholes!

arnie_ni

What the feck what that pass at the end! It's Luke Shaw, you know, it's hard to believe it's not Scholes!
Class pass, but missed a simple one 2 mins before, even though it was offside

criticalanalysis

He's always been capable of that. He had an assist for England to Rashford against Spain. Very similar ball that was long the floor instead.

He's a good passer when to open space and into feet. It's just his lack of overlapping and final ball in the box that's a bit iffy. Oh and the fitness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's always been capable of that. He had an assist for England to Rashford against Spain. Very similar ball that was long the floor instead.

He's a good passer when to open space and into feet. It's just his lack of overlapping and final ball in the box that's a bit iffy. Oh and the fitness.
Yep. In general, bar his crossing, his passing is good. I wasn't surprised at all when he pinged that ball to Marcus.

buckooo1978

yes he messed up a fantastic chance at the end when he just needed to bend the ball into Rashford's path

I would prefer Williams to continue there myself

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good cameo, should start against City, think Young playing would give me a heart attack.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good cameo, should start against City, think Young playing would give me a heart attack.
I'm not sure about that. Think we should go with Williams. And in the summer we should look to offload Shaw and of course not extend Young.

AltiUn

I'm not sure about that. Think we should go with Williams. And in the summer we should look to offload Shaw and of course not extend Young.
I like Williams but he'd be torn to shreds against City, they'd target him mercilessly.

arthurka

Again great pass but he couldn't drag his ass for the first one to Rashford. Rashford sprinted past him after playing 90 mins while Shaw looked about to burst after that sprint and he was on for 5 minutes.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like Williams but he'd be torn to shreds against City, they'd target him mercilessly.
So instead they’ll target Shaw. He’s positionally weak, takes a while to get back to fitness after his frequent injuries and he’s more one dimensional going forward than Williams IMV.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So instead they’ll target Shaw. He’s positionally weak, takes a while to get back to fitness after his frequent injuries and he’s more one dimensional going forward than Williams IMV.
Yeah but Shaw is 24 so he should be able to handle it. If we're worried he sucks so much that we have to play a youngster instead against City it should be the end of him in the summer. Luke needs to get a last chance right now, while Williams has enough time on his side.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah but Shaw is 24 so he should be able to handle it. If we're worried he sucks so much that we have to play a youngster instead against City it should be the end of him in the summer. Luke needs to get a last chance right now, while Williams has enough time on his side.
I’m not worried. I was just replying to the worry about Williams. As I’m more confident about him than I am about Shaw. And yes, a frequently injured player with fitness issues on 150K should be moved on IMV.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I’m not worried. I was just replying to the worry about Williams. As I’m more confident about him than I am about Shaw. And yes, a frequently injured player with fitness issues on 150K should be moved on IMV.
Well, yeah, but I don't think it's fair to send Williams out against City honestly. With the pace of Maguire he'll be isolated and torn to shreds defensively. If we're looking to play him he should bomb forward at every chance as a wingback or something like that. If not that then Shaw himself should stand up and prove himself in that game, if he can't even get back to form quickly after his breaks then it's no reason to keep him on even as a squad player.

AltiUn

Shaw can handle himself defensively though. It’s not fair to throw Williams in the deep end against one of the best attacks in the world, I’ve watched Williams more than most and he thrives in a team who plays on the front foot, which we won’t be against City. We need to play intelligently if we want to come away with a result and Shaw is the more solid choice defensively, Williams is still rash and dives into challenges, he’s likely to pick up an early booking which would spell trouble for us.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shaw can defend well at times. He's had Salah in his pocket before. Then again so has Young. Maybe Salah is just shit.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Shaw can handle himself defensively though. It’s not fair to throw Williams in the deep end against one of the best attacks in the world, I’ve watched Williams more than most and he thrives in a team who plays on the front foot, which we won’t be against City. We need to play intelligently if we want to come away with a result and Shaw is the more solid choice defensively, Williams is still rash and dives into challenges, he’s likely to pick up an early booking which would spell trouble for us.
I thought he was pretty bad against Astana and normally I think he offers little to nothing going forward. After each injury he's struggled with fitness and getting up to speed. I know Williams is aggressive and like every youth player needs to develop his decision making, but I'd still prefer him.

Kind of expect Young to start though.

Devil may care

He doesn't look fit at all to me, feels like he could do with a run in the reserves to get his fitness up to scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.