Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I suggested him being a CB and was destroyed on here.

it's obvious. he cant cross, cant beat a player and doesnt push forward with urgency.

He is big and fast and is decent with the ball and excellent 1 on 1. Basically a central defender!
Not sure he has the aerial ability of a CB. Obviously neither does Lindelof.

Hughes35

Anybody got a GIF of that touch he had when the long ball came in and he just brought down Zidane style ? :drool:

Played well today, he's a really good footballer. He's just not fit though, never has been and likely never will be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he is a terrible player. Granted he went through a bad injury, but Luke Shaw in 2020 is slow on the ball, doesn't offer anything going forward and his fitness and injury record is very poor. I'm not even sold on his defensive performance he just looks so lackadaisical and he rarely dominates opposing wingers.

Football has evolved, you need fullbacks to contribute going forward. He's got 1 goal and 9 assists across all competitions (PL, FA, EL, CL) in six seasons at Man Utd. That's basically a goal and 9 assists in over 9541 minutes or ~106 90-minute matches. He was the most expensive fullback at the time and someone we thought would dominate the flank, he's been disappointing. We went from Patrice Evra to this lard container.
He's quite good on the ball - in that he has a very good and consistent first touch, and links up very well. Sadly he doesn't have that intensity and drive that every fullback needs to play a part in making a difference in attack. His intensity and interest in taking charge going forwards is what you'd expect from a CDM or CB.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He was our best player together with DdG and Fred. Those 3 were the only ones where I had the feeling they could compete for a place in this Liverpool side. Maybe Lindelof.
I never understand why some of us keep turning on him as he is our only defender who is able to drive forward in decent manner. When his defensive display is as solid as it was yesterday he would one-off the first names on the team sheet.

thepolice123

Thought he and Fred were our better players. You can see he is quite the technican on the ball, his touch, control and passing are excellent. And he did that rainbow skill twice. The second time was more messy but he managed to pull it off. It just shows he is very confident of his touch.

I think Guardiola would love to have him in the team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do you think he's good in the air to play CB? Has a good reading of the game? Circulates the ball well? I'm not fully convinced mate
At the moment we’re judging him as a fullback but I’d say his heading is as good as any other fullback, certainly no worse than lindelof. He reads the game ok in terms of mopping up around the back of his cbs. Passing and circulation of the ball yesterday was very good, in fact he was one of the best passers on our side against Liverpool. He also showed composure under pressure. I think there’s potentially a good cb in there if he got drilled properly. He’s quick and got the build.
That being said I’m not saying it will happen at United but that’s where I see him long term

Ekeke

As I've said before Shaw and AWB both have a lot of potential in a 3 CB system. That said, when we've used Shaw in a CB position he has had a few fluff ups that he would need to improve on. There was an example against Liverpool where he sprinted to get back and when the ball came in he couldnt stop himself to clear it and rushed past the ball. I think the previous time was the match where the striker flicked the ball behind himself and scored, or even if he wasnt played LCB at the time it was an example of an area he'd need to improve if hes playing there.

So its something that we could do long term for sure but we'd have to accept the "growing pains" of a player playing in a new position and needing to adapt to it, making mistakes along the way. Considering our CBs who have played as CBs for a long time make mistakes, it certainly wouldnt be the end of the world. At least we'd know someone is learning

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Unpopular opinion but i don't think that he is worse than AWB. He doesn't have some monster tackles like AWB but when was last time when winger beat Shaw? And in attack he is far more useful than Awb. Tbh, from all our full backs i rate Shaw the most.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's sack off Lindelof and play a 3-4-3 with AWB and Shaw flanking Maguire.

Push Laird on the RWB, Williams LWB, Fred + 1 midfielder, then a front 3 of Fernandes, Rashford and Martial. Sorted.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Unpopular opinion but i don't think that he is worse than AWB. He doesn't have some monster tackles like AWB but when was last time when winger beat Shaw? And in attack he is far more useful than Awb. Tbh, from all our full backs i rate Shaw the most.
I always thought that Shaw is the better footballer.
AWB can’t play in a back 5. At least not if don’t have a manager who can teach him positional awareness and movement in that role.

spiriticon

I wouldn't be against trying him out at CB.

I'm not sure how good he is with dealing at aerial balls but i don't remember him being disastrous

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I wouldn't be against trying him out at CB.

I'm not sure how good he is with dealing at aerial balls but i don't remember him being disastrous
He can't be worse than Lindelof at heading the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ultimately, he should be sold. But whilst he’s here, he should play at LB, as first choice, for as long as his body permits. Which may be another month at best tbh.

Sylar

Back 3 on the left suits him. For LB, hes not good enough going forward for what we need.

3KDré

I honestly think he'd do quite well if we needed to rest Maguire and play him there instead.

Man Utd 0:2 Burnley

-Supreme-

Why the feck was he not offering any overlap runs when he should have plenty of energy coming on at half time ?

Incredibly frustrating to watch some of our players having zero football intelligence

Based Adnan

Why the feck was he not offering any overlap runs when he should have plenty of energy coming on at half time ?

Incredibly frustrating to watch some of our players having zero football intelligence
Probably got tired warming up. Fitness of a sumo wrestler.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Get the ball, runs a little past half way. Spots an approaching defender, stops, passes the ball backwards.

That, in a nutshell, is what Shaw offers in attack.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Get the ball, runs a little past half way. Spots an approaching defender, stops, passes the ball backwards.

That, in a nutshell, is what Shaw offers in attack.
Harsh on Shaw, he gets to the box and looks clueless on the ball, so he shoots randomly either to the goal or to the box which is always blocked. He does very few things, we shouldn't miss out any of those.

acnumber9

Make of this what you will.
I’m making of it that he only wins one game every three hours he plays. Sounds like Luke Shaw to me. That cnut definitely wouldn’t be playing the objective. Probably sitting in a corner refusing to flank the enemy.

Alabaster Codify7

To be fair, there have been lots of rumours about Shaw leading a student-esque lifestyle since joining United so the fact he's binging computer games and contributing nothing on the pitch doesn't surprise me. It might also explain why he looks a bit out of shape a lot of the time. Several managers, remember, have criticised Shaw's attitude.

Nr.7

What's the point in sharing this bollocks?
Saw an article about this in croatian press. Haven’t read it fully, but thought I might share it in Shaw’s performance thread as it may be interesting to some people.
That was the point.
Now if you don’t see a point to this and find that it’s not worth your time, feel free to just ignore it.

Tranmere Rovers 0:6 Man Utd

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I suggested him being a CB and was destroyed on here.

it's obvious. he cant cross, cant beat a player and doesnt push forward with urgency.

He is big and fast and is decent with the ball and excellent 1 on 1. Basically a central defender!
I’m not really sure whether you were destroyed, don’t remember such a suggestion but I do remember the midfield suggestion and it was silly if people think he can be a midfielder.

He’s not really excellent 1 on 1, too often he commits fouls when he’s on one on one, he’s good on intercepting the ball before the pass was received.

I think the idea of being centre back is not a bad idea but not because of his strength in his defending but because his weakness as full back. Being good on the ball makes him even suitable for ball playing CB. I don’t mind to see Shaw as our backup centre back next season and we sign a new left back for regular spot.

Bondi77

I wish he would have a shot at goal more often as he has a wicked shot on him.
I read on here quite often about him being out of shape and yet I see a young guy with a powerful physique which is not typical for a footballer.
I am not a betting man but if there was a foot race between Chilwell, Robertson , Mendy or Shaw I know where my money would be.
I can understand why Shaw does not hit the byline and put crosses in as there is never anyone making late runs into the box or getting in front of a defender at the six yard box so he constantly checks himself and plays short passes back to Lingard, Rashford or Martial who try and play a bit of tikka takka football and do not have an attempt on goal and lose the ball and then Shaw is caught out of position defensively.
I like Williams and think he has big potential but he is predominantly right footed and while he can go to the left so could Ashley Young but 90% of the time he would have to check back onto his right and momentum is lost whereas if our attacking players had a bit more positional nous I think Luke would thrive.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think if we're going to be relying on AWB as the main right sided fullback then preferably I would want someone who's more offensively effective on the left, that being Shaw's position.

With Williams breathing down his neck and his continual issues in remaining fit I think its fair to say Shaw's time at the club could be nearing its end.
Though,regarding the former, I still think its alittle to early in being overly reliant on the reserve player in Williams.
Feel he's (Williams) gradually getting more sussed out by the opposition,which will happen.
Its all about developing your game from there but still,again, all too soon to be the number 1 in that position for the club with our aspirations and demands.

We need someone with the same consistency and enthusiasm like former Red Patrice Evra,imo.
Someone who's going to give the opposition wide players something to think about.

Now its all about finding that individual.
Who's out there ?

Man City 0:1 Man Utd

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
He had a good game today and I think we should keep trying to play with this 352/352 formation going forward.

Shaw is pretty good at heading the ball and he could suitable as the third centerback.

Status
Not open for further replies.