Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

We've got no evidence he loves the club and I find his effort to be often lacking, probably my biggest criticism of him.
Every time you see and interview, and read his transcripts it is clear he wants to be a better player. Saying a player is lacking effort is quite a statement, there is no way he would be playing if he lacked effort.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I just dont think hes fit enough to be a modern full back. His mistakes are typically when he's looking gassed - which is to frequent for a player his age.

I do wonder if, as he gets older, he might be a player for whom it clicks and he rapidly improves. Worth keeping around in case imo.

Walters_19_MuFc

My man of the match yesterday. Not only did he defend well, he made some nice little runs out from the back. The left sided centre back in a three seems to suit him. Unfortunately for him, its not a formation Ole will always use.

Craig Ward

My man of the match yesterday. Not only did he defend well, he made some nice little runs out from the back. The left sided centre back in a three seems to suit him. Unfortunately for him, its not a formation Ole will always use.
He was impressive throughout. He was good going forward and composed on the ball. Made more strides forward than our actual LWB

Not a formation we will use regularly I agree - but i dont think it's unfortunate for Shaw. He's easily our best left full back as well.

If we play 3 at the back, he would start at LCB or LWB. If we play 4 at the back, he's first pick for LB. He's much better than Williams

romufc

He was impressive throughout. He was good going forward and composed on the ball. Made more strides forward than our actual LWB

Not a formation we will use regularly I agree - but i dont think it's unfortunate for Shaw. He's easily our best left full back as well.

If we play 3 at the back, he would start at LCB or LWB. If we play 4 at the back, he's first pick for LB. He's much better than Williams
Agreed, I think Shaw is still one of the better LB's out there. The team look better with him in it.

Fans also calling for a new LB, what LB is out there for a relative cheap price?

People mention Ben Chilwell but his price will be approx £60m which is way too much for a LB considering we need to improve elsewhere. I think defensively we have a good mix and can chose from AWB, Dalot, Shaw, Williams for 2 spots.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's good with a high line and reads the game well, anticipates attacking movement as any good CB should do.

His weakness is clearly picking up men in the box and being touch tight/aggressive. A few times he lost Batshuayi in the first half where he was ball watching, but this is something that could be improved with training.

I do think if he's to continue with us and England, the LCB slot could be something he makes his own.

I still think he'd make a good CDM, but the back 3 allows him to venture forward when required like he did a few times.

RedIan

Looks back to his best. Covered for Williams mistakes a lot tonight And looks the far better of the two at the moment.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shaw and Man Utd doing their best Sheffield United impression;)

mu4c_20le

Made one mistake in the first half but was much better in the second. Good on Ole for finding a way to play both of them together.

OleBoiii

Has stepped up big time lately. Maybe competition from Williams was what he needed?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Playing well. Needs to maintain some fitness though otherwise he needs to be replaced this summer.

Brightonian

Really good in tricky conditions today. Looked the safest of our defenders, particularly early in the first half when Maguire and Lindelof were a bit all over the place.

I like the way he uses his strength and pace to get two bites at the apple. You always feel that if he misses a tackle or gets skinned he can recover and make it count the second time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Probably pre season will try him in a back 2 before we can be safe to say he is a LCB long term.

Andersons Dietician

Easily man of the match for me. If he’s going to continue with these runs forwards need to start taking on some shots. Few times he should have been played back in as well and he was clean through. Some of his passing and control today to boot were sublime.

kundalini

After being asleep at the throw-in early on that required Lindelof to rescue us, Shaw was excellent for the rest of the first half. At least 3 moments of good defending from him. Not involved as much in the 2nd half.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Has stepped up big time lately. Maybe competition from Williams was what he needed?
Don’t think so, this position just suits his attributes much better. He’s a better footballer than an athlete these days.

he can sprint well when there’s space and he’s feeling fresh, but doing that over and over just Isnt possible for him.

he reads the game well, he’s strong and good in the air - perfect for a CB really. Just needs to keep his concentration levels up.

acnumber9

He’s basically a third centre back when he plays left back anyway. Officially playing there just means he doesn’t have to run forward as much which obviously suits the lard arse.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Easily man of the match for me. If he’s going to continue with these runs forwards need to start taking on some shots. Few times he should have been played back in as well and he was clean through. Some of his passing and control today to boot were sublime.
I agree with this. He has that silk combined with strength. To me he is a different player than he first came, maybe a bit too scared and just exhausted at times but I just think about how good he could have been by now if everything went perfect for him at this club up until this point. Sadly he isn't quite good enough, but maybe now with the switch in position he can offer something more. He was simply great against Brugge he was, but I just know he is going to annoy me one of these days, he just isn't dependable and it really disappoints.

Andersonson

In a backline with 3 CB's positional awereness is key and thats one of Luke's strength. And he is really good 1v1 defensively.
He can also pass the ball very well, so he's quite suited for the role. He has grown on me the last couple of weeks.

If we're going to play alot with a backline of 3, we must get rid of Bailly and Jones. Those two cant play there. They don't have the abilities for that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don’t think so, this position just suits his attributes much better. He’s a better footballer than an athlete these days.

he can sprint well when there’s space and he’s feeling fresh, but doing that over and over just Isnt possible for him.

he reads the game well, he’s strong and good in the air - perfect for a CB really. Just needs to keep his concentration levels up.
Will be interesting to see if we continue to play 3 at the back or what will be his position when we switch back to back 4.

He is good footballer, his first touch is very good and his passing in general is good. His problem is he doesn't make many overlapping runs and contribute much in final third when it comes to end product. This 3 at the back suits him as with his skill set he is very good ball playing CB rather than limited FB now.

Devil81

Playing well in his new position, he will still get games at full back at Old Trafford but the European ties and more difficult league games I can see him adopting the role he's been playing so well of late.

Technically he's fantastic on the ball the issue with Shaw is his conditioning and fitness, hopefully he is now seeing the team improve so he will know he needs to improve.

Artorias

I
Will be interesting to see if we continue to play 3 at the back or what will be his position when we switch back to back 4.

He is good footballer, his first touch is very good and his passing in general is good. His problem is he doesn't make many overlapping runs and contribute much in final third when it comes to end product. This 3 at the back suits him as with his skill set he is very good ball playing CB rather than limited FB now.
I agree, I would like to see more of him in his new role.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I rate Shaw a lot, maybe more than most. But does anyone else think it looks like he might be carrying a little extra weight here? Or has he just bulked up?

MadMike

He always looks like he could shed a stone, but I've given up on him ever looking trim much like I'd given up on Lukaku and Rooney before him.

He's just a stocky type and maybe getting him to be slim could be detrimental to his performances. Basically being starved and low on energy all the time. I assume our staff have worked out what the optimal weight and bodyfat ratio is for him to maintain the best possible fitness level throughout a season, after all these years here.

spiriticon

I think we should give him a run at CB with Maguire.

I dunno I think it might work better than Lindelof

RedDevil@84

So after many years of wasting money on him, we are trying to say he is a good LCB and he is not an LB.
Just wow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.