Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Even in the football forum, you have an uncanny knack for being utterly detestable.
You sure get triggered very easily. Cool down. It’s just football.
I thought he was very average. I’m allowed to think for myself. Is that ok?
And if you can, please critique the opinion, not the person. Thanks.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Best thing i saw about Shaw today, was that he was actually overlapping Rashford outside/inside. He was looking to attack the space. Last match vs Sheffield, i noticed he was staying behind when Rashford was cutting inside (which is a weakness of his), so fair play to him. It never came off today but i hope he keeps it up.

He was defensively superb as always, don't think i remember him putting a foot wrong all match. Don't think people appreciate enough the confidence he must give to Rashford, knowing that he's got someone as dominant as Shaw behind him, to just focus on attacking freely.

His technique on the ball is already very good. Crossing good. Vision good. If he can improve his attacking movement, he will be a monster of a full-back.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think he's great but he doesn't deserve the hate he gets here either. At least, he does the basics right and has a great first touch and his short passing is one of the best in the club. The problem is the way we play or should really, we need much more from our fullbacks. It's also insane how close he and Rashford are on the pitch sometimes, it's very static and makes both of them look clumsy and ineffective.
To be fair to Rashford, Shaw has been the same quite a few years and we've had the same problem with our left side being congested since he came into the team. Depay, Martial, Rashford and Sanchez all struggled to build a partnership with him. I don't know any clubs that play with a winger that is supposed to be defensive and provide width, while the LB is central like a playmaker. Maybe Pep? or nah.. His understanding of his role as a fullback is weird, and it doesn't even make any sense since the way he sees his role doesn't play to his strengths.

He should be running up and down all game, keep width and play quick passes... and his technical side should be a bonus to that. Currently it's almost like he is a luxury fullback, which is just weird as feck.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I thought he had a good game, probably was my MOTM until Pogba came on.
Seemed isolated too much on the left with nobody to pass to, but he did well.
Just wish he would be more daring, he gets into good opportunities to cross or shoot but plays it back across a lot of the time

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I dont believe him. His intensity fluctuates too easily. Has he got the grit, the drive, the determination? He was fine today but I don't trust him.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I dont believe him. His intensity fluctuates too easily. Has he got the grit, the drive, the determination? He was fine today but I don't trust him.
''He was fine today, but i don't trust him''. What kind of comment is that? Give the guy a chance. Was he good? Has he been consistent? Is he improving? I think you will struggle to say no to any of those questions, so i don't get it. What don't you trust him about?

Deery

Dreary
Jamal Lewis was twice the player today but you wouldn’t here that mentioned

Devil may care

Kept pushing all game, there wasn't any real standouts today IMO but I thought Shaw was one of our better performers.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To be fair to Rashford, Shaw has been the same quite a few years and we've had the same problem with our left side being congested since he came into the team. Depay, Martial, Rashford and Sanchez all struggled to build a partnership with him. I don't know any clubs that play with a winger that is supposed to be defensive and provide width, while the LB is central like a playmaker. Maybe Pep? or nah.. His understanding of his role as a fullback is weird, and it doesn't even make any sense since the way he sees his role doesn't play to his strengths.

He should be running up and down all game, keep width and play quick passes... and his technical side should be a bonus to that. Currently it's almost like he is a luxury fullback, which is just weird as feck.
You must have a selective memory then. Completely untrue. You don't remember Shaw, Pogba & Martial/Rashford playing triangles with each-other for years? That was our main attack pattern for a long time. We still do that. He has a good relationship with Martial & Rashford. He has had no problems whatsoever with either.

Vs Sheffield Utd a few days ago at the weekend, our most common passing combination came between Shaw & Rashford (19). For someone struggling to build partnerships with his winger, that's strange no? Bruno also drifted over to the left, and we were creating triangles between Shaw, Rashford & Bruno too.

Call it as it is, Rashford wasn't at the races today, that's fine it happens. That doesn't mean it's Shaw's fault the play got congested, considering he was overlapping, providing the width for Rashford today.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The annoying thing about Luke Shaw is that he's got everything bar dribbling ability/game understanding/positional awareness needed to be one of the very very very best fullbacks currently in the business, but he just doesn't seem to want it enough. Easy option Shaw I call him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can see why people are criticising his performance. He takes far too long to make his mind up when he’s in a dangerous position, really poor in the final third which when you consider this is his 6th season here...

He is much better suited as a left-sided centre half in a back 5.

Deery

Dreary
What did Lewis do today that makes him ''twice the player'' as Shaw?
Was up and down the wing all day, got Dalot substituted, was sound in defence, had time on the ball, basically everything a fullback should do..

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You must have a selective memory then. Completely untrue. You don't remember Shaw, Pogba & Martial/Rashford playing triangles with each-other for years? That was our main attack pattern for a long time. He has a good relationship with Martial & Rashford. He has had no problems whatsoever with either.

Vs Sheffield Utd a few days ago at the weekend, our most common passing combination came between Shaw & Rashford (19). For someone struggling to build partnerships with his winger, that's strange no?

Call it as it is, Rashford wasn't at the races today, that's fine it happens. That doesn't mean it's Shaw's fault the play got congested, considering he was overlapping, providing the width for Rashford today.
While I can concede that I may have been a little bit dramatic about the 'building partnership' claim, I do think I have a point. It is not completely untrue just because Shaw is good at making himself available when keeping possession. It doesn't make him a valuable outlet in attack, and it doesn't mean he performs to the best of his ability defensively. It is the only thing he does well consistently but I don't think that is enough. I do think Shaw has a tendency to make play congested. If he could vary his playing style, it would be better for the team without question, imo.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Was up and down the wing all day, got Dalot substituted, was sound in defence, had time on the ball, basically everything a fullback should do..
Don't know how that makes him twice the player though. For all his running up & down, what did he create? It amounted to nothing at the end of the day. I wouldn't say he was the reason Dalot got subbed either, Dalot just wasn't good enough.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gets on a world of ball in advanced areas but his quality is just not good enough. We have to sign a top class left back this summer / autumn window.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
While I can concede that I may have been a little bit dramatic about the 'building partnership' claim, I do think I have a point. It is not completely untrue just because Shaw is good at making himself available when keeping possession. It doesn't make him a valuable outlet in attack, and it doesn't mean he performs to the best of his ability defensively. It is the only thing he does well consistently but I don't think that is enough. I do think Shaw has a tendency to make play congested. If he could vary his playing style, it would be better for the team without question, imo.
If you're arguing does he need to improve his attacking game, then i agree absolutely. What i am saying is that i don't think today is the game for it, considering he was actually doing the things he gets criticised for, today.

Does he have the tendency to stay inside too much, watching his winger cut inside, get double teamed but not provide the overlap to give him support? Of course. There was a few times vs Sheffield he was guilty of just that with Rashford, where he failed to provide support to him when he cut inside, and there was acres of space on the outside waiting for Shaw. But that can't be said about his performance today. He was overlapping Rashford all the time today, so much so, that Rashford tried to feed him in, instead of shooting/crossing himself, but unfortunately over hit the pass.

You can tell that he's watched the video back with the coaches and is trying to improve that. If he reverts back to type that's another story, but he was actually doing it today.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Don't know how that makes him twice the player though. For all his running up & down, what did he create? It amounted to nothing at the end of the day. I wouldn't say he was the reason Dalot got subbed either, Dalot just wasn't good enough.
Because it does

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Seriously? Didn’t think he was that bad, he wasn’t great but certainly wasn’t shite enough to warrant a trend on Twitter, getting pelters. Wasn’t even his worst game this season. :houllier:
Can't remember him putting a foot wrong all match. Funny thing is, what does everyone say about Shaw? Too hesitant, needs to overlap more, get on the outside. He was actually doing just that today. I thought it was the most confident and attacking he has looked in a long while, but was trending on Twitter apparently? Goes to show what a cesspit of a platform it is. :houllier:

Deery

Dreary
Seriously? Didn’t think he was that bad, he wasn’t great but certainly wasn’t shite enough to warrant a trend on Twitter, getting pelters. Wasn’t even his worst game this season. :houllier:
I thought he was better than last game, got up and down a bit more, even had that block in the first half..
But in reality it takes Shaw 6-7 games to get going, just a frustrating player..

Web of Bissaka

Think he did fine today, too defensive though overall.

He did attack, shoot, dribbles into the box and sent in few good crosses, etc, but then there's also the "halting movements" and "deeper positioning" he tend to make.

There was this one moment, when we're countering, Bruno is holding the ball in our half and Shaw just stood there closeby despite the staggering amount of spaces in front of him. The idea should be Shaw make the runs and Bruno through pass him, quick counter with pace. Think Bruno shrugged his shoulder afterwards.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I actually thought he was decent today and tried to make things happen despite the rest of the attack not being really on the same page.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Honestly just impressed he made 120 minutes. Didn’t think he had it in him

izec

I can see why people are criticising his performance. He takes far too long to make his mind up when he’s in a dangerous position, really poor in the final third which when you consider this is his 6th season here...

He is much better suited as a left-sided centre half in a back 5.
I agree. He shines more as an LCB, due to being less offensive and that suits him better. He has no clue what to do in the final third. People are happy with the minimum.

If we want to break down teams parking the bus, Shaw as a LB won't cut it

andy dufresne

I am back after a lengthy lay off and please do not all applaud me at once.
Look,let us have some form of perspective here about Luke Shaw and not getting carried away.The lad is an average footballer at best,he is very very fortunate to be playing for United and I dare say if he played for someone like Brighton or Aston Villa,no dis-respect to those two teams,he would look even more limited than he does already.I am an older wiser season ticket holder and have been lucky to have seen far better full backs than the ones we have now (though like a lot of supporters,I am a fan of Brandon Williams) and we have to be honest here and ask ourselves what exactly does Luke Shaw offer this team aside from the occasional overlap usually late in the game when the opposition leaves more space for him to do this.His positional play in general is awful and whilst I do not want to compare him to the best around,someone like Robertson at Liverpool and that stuck in my throat because as you know I detest Liverpool,he is way behind someone like him..Fact

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm happy with Shaw for now. He's actually completing 90minutes on a consistent basis, that's half the fight with him. He's never been an excellent attacker but he's solid defensively and our team needs that right now. If he's still struggling with his attacking game by end of next season thats when we should be looking at competition for him imo.

andy dufresne

RedSky - Are you serious? Luke Shaw is NOT solid defensively,not by a long way and if you or I were running a team and he was our left back,we would be worried every game that he was going to be caught out defensively or make a mistake.Have a look yesterday too,for example,at his ball distribution and passing over the full 90 minutes,it was awful and whilst I am,in no way,pointing the blame purely at him for the performance against Norwich,far from it,in fact,I do not see how anyone can think he is a solid defender.Bring the lad Williams in now and let's finally accept that Shaw is not going to do it on a regular basis for the club we love.

Raven

Another thread full of people struggling with reality. Fair play to you @Majima for fighting the good fight, and by that i mean actually watching the match and providing a balanced view. I have no idea why people feel the need to lie and hyperbolise about our players. Jamal Lewis, twice the player... Jesus.

Andersons Dietician

Another thread full of people struggling with reality. Fair play to you @Majima for fighting the good fight, and by that i mean actually watching the match and providing a balanced view. I have no idea why people feel the need to lie and hyperbolise about our players. Jamal Lewis, twice the player... Jesus.
Here and the Martial thread are probably the two biggest cesspits on all of the CAF. It’s like the troll mecha.
He was good yesterday, did everything even found himself getting around the 6 yarder looking for a ball to be played through for him after an overlap.

I’m convinced most in this thread don’t even watch the games and just whip out a load of cliches so they can keep up their moan quota for a player they don’t like. Some of the posts are an embarrassment.

Yesterday, he made runs in to the box, out wide, going inside or outside of Lingard, Rashford whoever was on his side. He went to the byline tried to put in crosses, he went past people, he tried longer crosses from a deeper position, he tried cutbacks, he played nice passes in to players in dangerous areas then moved in to dangerous areas himself.

He made a block, he made interceptions, spotted danger and made a run to get back to cover us when our CB was in trouble as well as a few other moments he covered for Maguire.

How anyone can watch yesterday’s performance and say he was poor is ridiculous.

heck he should have had 2 assists yesterday. @Majima its a pointless battle but Props for having the patience to deal with some of these posts.

Mickson

Here and the Martial thread are probably the two biggest cesspits on all of the CAF. It’s like the troll mecha.
He was good yesterday, did everything even found himself getting around the 6 yarder looking for a ball to be played through for him after an overlap.

I’m convinced most in this thread don’t even watch the games and just whip out a load of cliches so they can keep up their moan quota for a player they don’t like. Some of the posts are an embarrassment.

Yesterday, he made runs in to the box, out wide, going inside or outside of Lingard, Rashford whoever was on his side. He went to the byline tried to put in crosses, he went past people, he tried longer crosses from a deeper position, he tried cutbacks, he played nice passes in to players in dangerous areas then moved in to dangerous areas himself.

He made a block, he made interceptions, spotted danger and made a run to get back to cover us when our CB was in trouble as well as a few other moments he covered for Maguire.

How anyone can watch yesterday’s performance and say he was poor is ridiculous.

heck he should have had 2 assists yesterday. @Majima its a pointless battle but Props for having the patience to deal with some of these posts.
Then you can explain why his poor stats (Chillwel has more goals this season than Shaw has in his entire career) is good enough for Manchester United. Shaw was 6 yesterday, which he is most of the time. Never more, seldom less. Thay may be easier to accept if he was flawless defensively, which he isn't. My biggest problem is that he's lazy and comfortable, two characteristics a United player never can have. Sorry.

arnie_ni

You sure get triggered very easily. Cool down. It’s just football.
I thought he was very average. I’m allowed to think for myself. Is that ok?
And if you can, please critique the opinion, not the person. Thanks.
You didnt give an opinion, you posted a video from Twitter

arnie_ni

You just described shaw today, all thats missing is the assist

Status
Not open for further replies.