Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Don’t know how anyone can say he had a great game. Rashford put him through so many times and his final ball is atrocious.
He should have shot because he rarely had a good opportunity to cross with the amount of defenders in his way.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They’ve definitely been working on his overlaps and attacking play during lockdown

Zambara

His skill on the ball under pressure is his best attribute.

It's helps so much having an extra wide option who can keep it in tight spaces, pass well, and dribble a bit. Even a player who is a bit better as a pure attacker, or a better defender, might not be as useful as Shaw is because of that. Also his motor was excellent last night.

I understand people's comments about his final ball being underwhelming, but replays yesterday showed mostly they were good blocks by defenders.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
They’ve definitely been working on his overlaps and attacking play during lockdown
I'd be interested in seeing his average heat map before and after lockdown - he's playing much further up the pitch now. I also like how he's added cutbacks to his usual crosses - they are vital with Pogba and Bruno at the edge of the box now.

Craig Ward

His skill on the ball under pressure is his best attribute.

It's helps so much having an extra wide option who can keep it in tight spaces, pass well, and dribble a bit. Even a player who is a bit better as a pure attacker, or a better defender, might not be as useful as Shaw is because of that. Also his motor was excellent last night.

I understand people's comments about his final ball being underwhelming, but replays yesterday showed mostly they were good blocks by defenders.
Agree with all of this.

He was a constant outlet.

Easily our best option at LB. He's a great player

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
What I want to see from him is better end product. Nice cross from Brunos miss. He get's in great positions, needs to try to be more effective because his effort merits it and if we can get that from him and AWB then that would be something else. Years off his prime though but good to see him getting a run of games

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's been in fantastic form since the start of the year. His fitness levels have been impressive and with a bit of improvement in his final ball, I think he'd be regarded as the best LB in the league

SteveW

I'm sure people will find fault but he's the fittest he's ever looked. Running miles and mikes. The penny has clearly dropped. Ill back him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally, his inability to deliver a final ball (or to shoot, which he tries to do from time to time lately, without any success) makes me think that the amount of praise that he had gotten here is a bit too much. Off-the-ball movement is great, when you can take advantage of finding yourself in good positions. It's weird, as he does have the technique to pull something good off, but he almost never does – I hope that this can be sorted out in training.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You have to wonder why it's taken the penny so long to drop in terms of the overlapping runs, even as recently as the Spurs game he was still playing as an inverted FB bringing the ball infield rather than going on the outside, as long as he continues this way though I guess who cares

Was a close run thing for him being MOTM last night for me

Raven

You have to wonder why it's taken the penny so long to drop in terms of the overlapping runs, even as recently as the Spurs game he was still playing as an inverted FB bringing the ball infield rather than going on the outside, as long as he continues this way though I guess who cares

It's quite blatantly tactical.

The United

His final product should improve of course but most of the time when he delivers it, he is on his full speed. I imagine it would be hard to do pinpoint passing.

Evra used to have the same issue for the first few years at United.

Gavinb33

People on here moaning about final balls etc, in all his seasons Evra got 21 assists in 278 games in the league according to the PL website.

He needs to pick it up but not by that much to be effective, our play goes through midfield centrally Pogba and Bruno for assists, unlike Liverpool who rely on the FB's to provide the service to the forwards

Raven

People on here moaning about final balls etc, in all his seasons Evra got 21 assists in 278 games in the league according to the PL website.

He needs to pick it up but not by that much to be effective, our play goes through midfield centrally Pogba and Bruno for assists, unlike Liverpool who rely on the FB's to provide the service to the forwards
So true. Evra was my favourite ever United LB not because of his attacking numbers but because of the way he dominated that left flank, much like Shaw is doing.

Raven

When Shaw is one of our better players I'll say so.

Yeah Martial was sensational, AWB and Greenwood played well ....
Shaw is arguably our most important player. The fact that he's the first name on the team sheet in a side that hasnt lost in 17 games should tell you something.

At least we can agree on Martial and Greenwood's performances.

Riz

Shaw is arguably our most important player. The fact that he's the first name on the team sheet in a side that hasnt lost in 17 games should tell you something.

At least we can agree on Martial and Greenwood's performances.
What? :lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Just off the top of my head with terrible memory.

Spurs:
Pressed and won the ball back high up the pitch, then found Martial perfectly 12 yards out in the box which you'd bank on Martial finishing 9 times out of 10 but for a fantastic save.

Sheffield United:
Put Ighalo through on a plate who proceeded to completely feck it.

Norwich:
Puts in the ball for Ighalo's goal.

Brighton:
Fantastic run and plays a dangerous ball across forcing Brighton to panic all over the place in the lead up to Bruno's goal.

Bouremouth:
Great cross picking out Martial who won the penalty with his header.

Aston Villa:
Teed up Bruno on a plate for him to miss.
Played Rashford through who teed up AWB on a plate to miss.

So with his terrible delivery and 0 assists, that is every single game since the return he has played a direct part in a goal or set up at least one great chance that should have been a goal.

Nick7

It's tactical. He was playing inside against Bournemouth too.

izec

I am one of his biggest critics. He is improving, so fair play to him. If he keeps this level next season, i would be happy. At least there is some intent from him now throughout the whole game. Some tweaks in his final ball, and he will be a class act

Skeezix

Took a long time, but he seems to have finally recovered physically and mentally and back to his Southampton form. I still remember so vividly that horrible tackle from Hector Moreno and injury in the Champions league match against Wolfsburg. That footage is still so clear in my mind it still makes me queasy. Imagine the experience for Shaw.

So glad he is back fit and fighting. Still only 24 years old!! 3 years younger than Lingard. Still amazes me that he is only 24.

El-Manos

If he improves his crossing he could be one of the best LB in the premier league. A big if though. Did well going forward last night, good game.

Mailo

Took a long time, but he seems to have finally recovered physically and mentally and back to his Southampton form. I still remember so vividly that horrible tackle from Hector Moreno and injury in the Champions league match against Wolfsburg. That footage is still so clear in my mind it still makes me queasy. Imagine the experience for Shaw.

So glad he is back fit and fighting. Still only 24 years old!! 3 years younger than Lingard. Still amazes me that he is only 24.
You mean PSV?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If his final ball was better he’d be the ideal modern full back. Definitely not out of the realms of possibility it improves. He and Wan-Bissaka’s positioning has come on leaps and bounds. I daresay they join the ever growing list of players Solskjær’s managed to improve since he took over.

Skeezix

If he improves his crossing he could be one of the best LB in the premier league. A big if though. Did well going forward last night, good game.
His crossing has improved a lot definitely. Just that we are poor in converting his crosses. Bruno and AWB failed to score from his crosses in the Villa match, if I'm not mistaken.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's timing his runs a lot better recently.

his overlapping was often frustrating and poorly timed, but in the game last night especially he and Rashford had some lovely moves going.

He just needs to be more patient and get his head up and pick somebody out now. Too many times he just kicks it into the first man, but it's good progress.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
To how we play i wouldnt turn my nose up at someone making that arguement
The way he is playing at the moment I do agree he plays a large part in us controlling teams. He contributes with keeping possession and sustaining attacking pressure and he has always done that, even when we needed him to be use his pace, be more direct, keep width and provide crosses. Now we're a lot more dangerous from both sides and switches play a lot more so it doesn't get as congested on the left, and Shaw seems to have been making an effort in both his fitness and his variety when going forward as we,,. But our most important player is simply too much. He is beyond every attacker + Pogba and Bruno, before it even gets debatable then you can mention Maguire, AWB, Fred and other players who is probably equally as important.

Walters_19_MuFc

Fantastic performance from Shaw. The understanding with Rashford down the left is really starting to blossom. Lost count of the number of times he got down the sides, whether it was an overlap/underlap. What takes him to the next level is now having the ability to try and pick someone out in the box. Other than that, really good performance.

SAFMUTD

I've not seen the match again yet but I thought he did okay, he did look tired mind, maybe his first season at Old Trafford is catching up with him and he needs a few games out to recharge his batteries.
Yeah I mean he didnt have a disastrous game, but he didnt perform as usual. Got a cheap yellow, before the penalty he wasnt the wall he usually is it maybe be due to being tired, and also missed a sitter in a header.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a very good footballer. His possession and link up play is great. Should have had an assist.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Love the herd mentality around here. A few months ago many were talking about how bad Shaw was. Now many of those same people are talking about how good he has been. I've got news for you. His game hasn't changed one bit. Same old Luke Shaw. Solid defensively and always willing to get forward. If I have one criticism of him, it's his final ball in attack. He often tries to pick out a player on his low balls rather than pick out space where an attacking should be running onto. And because of this, a lot of his low crosses get blocked. So pick out the space between defenders on those low ones and trust your attacking partners to be making the right runs. Mindyou, he did put in a peach of a cross that Bruno should have finished yesterday.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yeah I mean he didnt have a disastrous game, but he didnt perform as usual. Got a cheap yellow, before the penalty he wasnt the wall he usually is it maybe be due to being tired, and also missed a sitter in a header.
I think both fullbacks need resting, the problem we have is that it'll probably take Shaw 5 or 6 games to get back up to speed if he's out any length of time.

Mickson

His crossing has improved a lot definitely. Just that we are poor in converting his crosses. Bruno and AWB failed to score from his crosses in the Villa match, if I'm not mistaken.
You serious? Hos crossing is shit, absolute shit. He had one good cross though (where Bruno should've scored) but that's not saying much. Rashford served him all afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.