Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles89

I think he will be a massive miss. I had doubts about Shaw at the start of the season but since the restart, he has been great, providing that width down the left and dragging a man with him allowing Rashford to cut in and combine with Martial and Bruno.

Feels like since he's been out of the last couple of games, our play isn't as expansive which affects how Rashford plays. Even though I think Brandon Williams is good cover, but he is still raw and maybe just a level off Shaw. Shaw's ball retention is actually really good and never seem to panic, and always find an option to pass to.

During our post-covid run, Shaw has gotten to the byline more and more which I thought it was something that has been missing from his game since the leg break, whether it's down to the manager's instructions or not. If he can get himself fit for next season and stay healthy, I think our LB position will be okay for the next couple of years, with Shaw and Williams rotating.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Mcking

These shows how important he is to the team. Everything goes through him. It's basically give the ball to Luke Shaw.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's our only fullback who is press resistant. Moves the ball sharply and accurately and is a really underrated passer into the strikers feet.

DCP

Be honest with yourself, other than being knackered there’s no surprise that Luke not playing has effected our attacking output.

Not because he’s an incredible attacker but because he provides the width on that side that no one else does and retains possession & looks to move forward. Same as Wan Bissaka on the other side. Neither the most talented creators but provide the width and on those sides giving everyone else the ability to make the most of the added space.

Williams isn’t left footed and naturally comes in field, just doesn’t suit our line-up with 2 ‘wingers’ that are really strikers.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Largely when Shaw has been injured... are you starting to see his importance yet?
He's got a left-foot which for some strange reason is important to many, other than that no.

You are right. His back-ups aren't up to scratch, and it does show when he is unavailable.
I'd take Brandon Williams with a broken leg over Shaw so respectfully disagree.

Raven

He's got a left-foot which for some strange reason is important to many, other than that no.

So, even thoiugh all of our play goes through him and his injury was one of the main reasons behind our drop in form, you're still unwilling to give him the credit he deserves?

Ekeke

We've struggled so badly with Williams because we need width on the left so Rashford can come inside. Shaw provides this, Williams wants to come into the middle onto his right foot and closes spaces down. He would be fine if we had Giggs on the left wing with chalk on his boots running at defenders and getting crosses in but we don't. We have a player who wants to be given the ball and run into a crowd of players in the middle and shoot

Class of 63

Sourness
So, even thoiugh all of our play goes through him and his injury was one of the main reasons behind our drop in form, you're still unwilling to give him the credit he deserves?
Think Ole picking the same team, and a physical/mental tiredness building because of it, and playing mostly against sides that didn't have anything to play for so could play with freedom was as much to do with any drop in form as the absence of any player.

Tiber

Very underrated player around here. Is he Roberto Carlos? No. But I think he plays a meaningful role.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Williams is fine, Shaw will be ok in September so nothing to fear really.
Williams is a work in progress. There’s plenty to admire, not least the strength of character to not allow errors to affect him.
But he will make errors being so inexperienced. Patience is required with defenders and we will need Shaw back.

Class of 63

Sourness
We've struggled so badly with Williams because we need width on the left so Rashford can come inside. Shaw provides this, Williams wants to come into the middle onto his right foot and closes spaces down. He would be fine if we had Giggs on the left wing with chalk on his boots running at defenders and getting crosses in but we don't. We have a player who wants to be given the ball and run into a crowd of players in the middle and shoot
There's not much point having a left-footer at LB to provide width if his crossing is so poor, and it is, and I cringe when I see him come inside to have a shot as his shooting is even worse than his crossing. In short he offers nothing going forward, and that's just not acceptable for a Manchester United fullback who should be an auxiliary winger. And don't get me started on his positional sense defensively with and without the ball ....

Ekeke

There's not much point having a left-footer at LB to provide width if his crossing is so poor, and it is, and I cringe when I see him come inside to have a shot as his shooting is even worse than his crossing. In short he offers nothing going forward, and that's just not acceptable for a Manchester United fullback who should be an auxiliary winger. And don't get me started on his positional sense defensively with and without the ball ....
Theres a big difference. Luke Shaw stays wide, or gets forward wide which provides much more room for a player who wants to run towards the middle with the ball like Rashford. If Williams has the ball and he doesnt want to be wide, so he's already inside on his right foot theres a lot less room for Rashford or Martial pulling to the left to run into. With Shaw the end position tends to be that he's in the left wing position far forward and then instead of crossing, we go the old Arsenal way and play a pass to Rashford or someone a bit deeper who then runs the ball into a central position. Thats our tactic and why we have scored so many goals from range this season, we are purposefully building our attacks to end up with room for Rashford/Greenwood/Martial to come inside and get a shot in. They're all capable and its what all of them want to do so we're maximising it.

We dont have a number 9 who wants loads of crosses so he can outjump the defense and head the ball in. So even if we had Baines swinging in great crosses, we'd still do better passing the ball around and getting the shot away from deeper. This changes when Ighalo is on the pitch instead. Then we do have the target for crosses so yes, having a really good crosser from left back would be much more useful at that point

Class of 63

Sourness
Theres a big difference. Luke Shaw stays wide, or gets forward wide which provides much more room for a player who wants to run towards the middle with the ball like Rashford. If Williams has the ball and he doesnt want to be wide, so he's already inside on his right foot theres a lot less room for Rashford or Martial pulling to the left to run into. With Shaw the end position tends to be that he's in the left wing position far forward and then instead of crossing, we go the old Arsenal way and play a pass to Rashford or someone a bit deeper who then runs the ball into a central position. Thats our tactic and why we have scored so many goals from range this season, we are purposefully building our attacks to end up with room for Rashford/Greenwood/Martial to come inside and get a shot in. They're all capable and its what all of them want to do so we're maximising it.

We dont have a number 9 who wants loads of crosses so he can outjump the defense and head the ball in. So even if we had Baines swinging in great crosses, we'd still do better passing the ball around and getting the shot away from deeper. This changes when Ighalo is on the pitch instead. Then we do have the target for crosses so yes, having a really good crosser from left back would be much more useful at that point
I don't think he stays wide under instruction more he knows if he comes inside he's more likely the higher up the pitch he goes that he'll have to use his wrong foot eventually, and it's his reluctance to use his weaker foot that is holding him back, he's just too predictable, at least with Williams he keeps his direct opponent honest.

Ekeke

I don't think he stays wide under instruction more he knows if he comes inside he's more likely the higher up the pitch he goes that he'll have to use his wrong foot eventually, and it's his reluctance to use his weaker foot that is holding him back, he's just too predictable, at least with Williams he keeps his direct opponent honest.
I dont think you're quite understanding. Its good that he's predictable and causing someone to come back to the left wing position that he's taken up, so he can pass the ball back to Rashford or Martial and they aren't double marked immediately. If Shaw was playing that pass from behind up to Rashford, instead of playing it back, then Rashford wouldnt have anywhere near the same room to do what he wants to do.

It would be bad if we wanted our left fullback to take his man on and beat him and put a good cross into the box. Thats not how we play with Martial as our striker. We are set up to do what he does well, not what he doesn't.

If we bought a standard #9 more like Lukaku again for a lot of money then it would be a bad thing. Thats not our plan A anymore

Class of 63

Sourness
I dont think you're quite understanding. Its good that he's predictable and causing someone to come back to the left wing position that he's taken up, so he can pass the ball back to Rashford or Martial and they aren't double marked immediately. If Shaw was playing that pass from behind up to Rashford, instead of playing it back, then Rashford wouldnt have anywhere near the same room to do what he wants to do.

It would be bad if we wanted our left fullback to take his man on and beat him and put a good cross into the box. Thats not how we play with Martial as our striker. We are set up to do what he does well, not what he doesn't.

If we bought a standard #9 more like Lukaku again for a lot of money then it would be a bad thing. Thats not our plan A anymore
If we need somebody that is predictable we hit the bloody jackpot with Shaw.

Ekeke

If we need somebody that is predictable we hit the bloody jackpot with Shaw.
When you know where a player is going to be and in an attacking position, obviously someone needs to be standing there making sure he doesnt just have a free run past and towards goal. So that pins the RB into position for if Shaw knocks the ball past him. So that player cant be doubling up on Rashford as soon as he gets the ball ready to dribble and shoot.

Maybe the best way to defend against it would be to have your right winger be the one take up the RB position occupying Shaw and then the actual defender could push forward and be the one pressuring Rashford. But yeah I dont see teams doing that at the moment

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Was having a conversation the other day about the most underrated player in our squad.

My choice was Luke Shaw.

jem

From Jonathan Wilson in his column at si.com: "Left back has been an issue for United for some time now, with the sense growing that Luke Shaw has never really recovered from the broken leg he suffered in September 2015."

You read that and you wonder if he's even watched United over the last two years.

CM10

Christ. I'll bet you miss Ashley Young as well.

OrcaFat

From Jonathan Wilson in his column at si.com: "Left back has been an issue for United for some time now, with the sense growing that Luke Shaw has never really recovered from the broken leg he suffered in September 2015."

You read that and you wonder if he's even watched United over the last two years.
He either hasn’t watched us and is an idiot or he has watched us and is an idiot.

jem

He either hasn’t watched us and is an idiot or he has watched us and is an idiot.
I mean I guess I can kind of understand watching Shaw and thinking he just might not be good enough (I think he is, but we have some fans who don't think he is.) But to suggest that he hasn't recovered from that injury is just lazy journalism.

OrcaFat

I mean I guess I can kind of understand watching Shaw and thinking he just might not be good enough (I think he is, but we have some fans who don't think he is.) But to suggest that he hasn't recovered from that injury is just lazy journalism.
Yes. It’s a stretch to call it journalism.

I like Shaw (and I’d even say he is an important player for us) but he is taking his sweet time to get to his potential. Some players just do take ages to develop. Fitness permitting he will be excellent in another couple of years. I wish he’d hurry up but I’m willing to wait.

I can understand fans wanting a ready made better player but that’s all they need to say. No need to make out he‘s crocked for life.

fps

Shaw had a very solid season and I would imagine he’ll be better again next season. He still has his best years in front of him and, while he offers a lot, there is still more to come in an attacking sense as he can finally move forward confident the team will be holding on to the ball and playing good passes for his runs, finally confident of who he’s playing with and that they won’t give it away cheaply and leave the defence exposed.

OrcaFat

He'd better come back fit, else...
Too right. His body shape is alarming at times.

There was a time when Ginola was getting stick for being fat and he took off his shirt (after scoring) to reveal a totally ripped torso. I don’t see it panning out like that for Shaw.

sp_107

Is it just a coincidence that we went tits since his injury OR he was the one who held things together for our best run

arnie_ni

Is it just a coincidence that we went tits since his injury OR he was the one who held things together for our best run
He's pivotal to how we play. There's been a few of us have been harping on about it for ages

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, Luke Shaw is definitely our most important player. Forget Pogba, forget Fernandes, Martial and Rashford.

Status
Not open for further replies.