Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

It's funny how everything has to have some sort of narrative in modern football. Every year a new narrative starts about Luke Shaw - first it was Mourinhos shunning put a rocket up his arse, last season it was Williams breaking through putting a rocket up his arse and this season it's Alex Telles being signed having the same effect.

Fact its all a load of shit. Luke Shaw has been the same player since he was TOTY left back at Southampton as a 17 year old - hes always been a great defender and technically he's an exceptional footballer. Only thing is, he struggles to find form without regular game time. That was the case in Van Gaals first season, it was the case when he was sidelined by Mourinho and then it's the case when he gets one of his niggly injuries that puts him out of the squad for a bit. After he strings a few games together he plays well - as he has done since he became a pro as a teenager.
He was and is a truly prodigious talent. It's a shame his career has been so heavily hampered by a disgusting injury and some poor management. It's great to see Ole's faith in him because he truly is an exceptional player.

Alemar

Very solid performance by Luke. Kept Salah at bay and also created a chance for Bruno

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ole has really got the best out of him. He’s one of the top left backs in the league and I hope he starts to get some recognition after an excellent couple of years.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's funny how everything has to have some sort of narrative in modern football. Every year a new narrative starts about Luke Shaw - first it was Mourinhos shunning put a rocket up his arse, last season it was Williams breaking through putting a rocket up his arse and this season it's Alex Telles being signed having the same effect.

Fact its all a load of shit. Luke Shaw has been the same player since he was TOTY left back at Southampton as a 17 year old - hes always been a great defender and technically he's an exceptional footballer. Only thing is, he struggles to find form without regular game time. That was the case in Van Gaals first season, it was the case when he was sidelined by Mourinho and then it's the case when he gets one of his niggly injuries that puts him out of the squad for a bit. After he strings a few games together he plays well - as he has done since he became a pro as a teenager.
Completely agree. I have no idea what some people have against him. He's a fantastic player and probably our most consistent player. Constantly puts in at the bare minimum 7/10 performances...

georgipep

That's just not true. He was excellent today and he is often excellent in these kinds of games. However, he's hardly excellent in the majority of games. He's more often than not kind of lazy in defense and when we dominate games, he doesn't offer much going forward.

Andersons Dietician

How is there still people saying we can upgrade on Shaw? after a performance like that as well. Who seriously is out there who is better? I mean you guys all creamed over Telles and how he was the best LB in the world and Shaw would never get a look in. How’s that going for you? I just want to know who this mythical player is.

Personally I still don’t think Shaw has reached the form of some of his previous spells. Some aspects have looked better in recent weeks but seen him play better than this. Certainly positive signs.

Heinzesight

Solid. So consistent which is what we need from some of his teammates who blow hot and cold.

That header back to De Gea from distance was just lovely.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Playing at the potential we thought he had at age 20/21. Well done luke.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's in top top form right now and is a huge weapon in our attacking arsenal as well as in defence. This chap is doing some real heavy lifting right now and I hope we can rest him soon, because him getting injured would be a big blow.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks almost unstoppable when he's running at the opposition, he's got a fantastic combination of pace, power and technique. He deserved another assist tonight. His attacking game is genuinely really good and he regularly serves as one of our most important outlets.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's in top top form right now and is a huge weapon in our attacking arsenal as well as in defence. This chap is doing some real heavy lifting right now and I hope we can rest him soon, because him getting injured would be a big blow.
That's why I'm so glad we signed Telles, he's a really decent option to bring in for Shaw so we can actually give him rest when he needs it.

Eternitiy

Great post.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. He's our best player. He's just a monster - his pace, strength, technique, and reading of the game, just an unreal combination. So excited that he's a United player.

EngimaMK

If I wasn't still a newbie and had the privileges, I would give this a like. Spot on ... I've never been concerned about Shaw, except for fitness issues and the lack of consistency because of those injuries. Whenever he gets an extended run and stays fit, he performs so well.

Decade long lurker

Was a little emotional watching him today. Really good performance bar one bad pass. I remember being super excited when he signed because I loved the look of him at Southampton and being crestfallen at that injury. I’ve really enjoyed watching him this season and hope his performance level continues.

Le Red

How is there still people saying we can upgrade on Shaw? after a performance like that as well. Who seriously is out there who is better? I mean you guys all creamed over Telles and how he was the best LB in the world and Shaw would never get a look in. How’s that going for you? I just want to know who this mythical player is.
Totally agree. It actually reminded of something I posted on the Alex Sandro thread that seems to have aged well:

His style actually reminds me of our own Luke Shaw, which shows just what a pity it is that our biggest hope for the LB simply didn't happen. Still, if there's a chance Shaw has his best days ahead of him, I'd stick with him instead of Alex Sandro.

InfiniteBoredom

I have never had a bad word to say about Shaw. Lost 2 years of playing time/development at a crucial age, got sidelined and deried as lacking a brain by his own manager, called chubby and unprofessional by half the fanbase yet he’s bounced back and performed when the chips are down, never made a public fuss about it either, unlike a certain other fullback in the league.

Chuffed to bits for him. Hope he continues on this path and retires full of honours with us.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Best player on the pitch for me. His touch is unbelievable.

Hoof the ball

He's addressed the one criticism of him. He's now aggressively taking high positions, overlapping and underlapping with regularity. No longer are we seeing Pogba or Fernandes point for him where to go; he's in position at the right moment all the time.

criticalanalysis

Very good and at the same time because I hold him to higher standards, still can improve a lot.

Although half of it isn't his fault, as there needs to be more players closer to him but I think he needs to be more braver on the ball when he receives a pass in a stationary position. Any sort of half press and his lack of a right foot alongside being on his toes means he will play a square or back pass far too often, which means we lose momentum/position.

He's got great ball carrying ability but mostly only when it comes from running onto a ball or when the opposition overcommits. It sounds a bit mad and I said this in my previous post in this thread but he has Evra/Marcelo level ability in terms of being able drive and open teams up with his runs (with or without the ball).

I want to see more of it and a conscious pattern of play/focused coaching on it.

Charlie Foley

Great post mate.

Shaw was brilliant today. Irwin-esque...no wonder Roy praised him afterwards!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Top class peformance. Best fullback on the pitch. Best United player on the pitch. His touch and composure on the ball is fantastic. If he can show as much intent in attack as he has of late, he'll be a complete fullback.

Eternitiy

Was a little emotional watching him today. Really good performance bar one bad pass. I remember being super excited when he signed because I loved the look of him at Southampton and being crestfallen at that injury. I’ve really enjoyed watching him this season and hope his performance level continues.
I, too, get emotional watching him play. I remember vividly the devastating injury (and disgraceful tackle) he suffered against PSV. To come back from the physical and psychological trauma that must have caused him, and all the animosity he's endured from Mourinho and certain United fans, it really makes me emotional.

Just look at him now, he's a force of nature, relentless and unstoppable.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Great post.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. He's our best player. He's just a monster - his pace, strength, technique, and reading of the game, just an unreal combination. So excited that he's a United player.
I really like Shaw and always have, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's our best player. I will however say that he is our most consistent player...

RuudtheRed

He was great today and continues to put in solid performances. One of the few who took the game to the Scouse in the first half and he nearly created the winner for Bruno - when he gets going it's like a steam train and no surprises that Shaqiri had to hack him down to stop him.

People can continue to doubt his ability - for some reason he's not very popular among Utd fans like Martial is, but he's done enough to prove his undeniable talent and ability for me. Telles isn't an upgrade on Shaw, not by a long shot. It boggles my mind that people were saying Brandon Williams is superior to Shaw as well.

ash_86

Very very good yesterday . Shows how you can can get out of someone when there is compatition for playes. Players pushing other players is whats needed to get the best out of the team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like more than just competition at LB, he has got a bit of a mentor at LB like it tells you to do in football manager and it has ironed out some of his issues. United have had far too many inexperienced players in its squad alot (we now have Telles, maguire, Cavani, Matic, De Gea,Fred etc) which helps us both compete for the title with experience aswell as being able to help players to grow in to their prime.

Shaw looks like he has very nearly found the complete version of himself which he can fine up by himself.

I do think that fans including me at times are too quick to shut down young players before they have reached their actual prime or 'well rounded capability'.

Shaw was good last season but not as much as this season. It just clicked one day. Yesterday I see everyone calling Rashford overrated at the age of 23, even though he is a fine player already - it can just click to a prime all of a sudden.

Krits

Best player for us without a doubt. Excellent match. I thought AWB did well as well. It’s funny how our defence has suddenly hit some form only for our attackers to lose it (I don’t think this is a balance issue). Just wish we could have the entire team on form for at least a short time to give us some good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.