Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldoVII

At fault for the first goal? Have only seen it once. Anyone who thinks we don't need to upgrade Shaw must be happy with battling for top 6.

Apokalips

I don't get why Shaw is seen as some undroppable player. We need to get a better LB without doubt. Luke needs to be thrown in the deep end against some true talented competition to sink or swim, he doesn't offer a forward threat and he is not exactly Baresi at the back to offset that.

Dan_F

I don't get why Shaw is seen as some undroppable player. We need to get a better LB without doubt. Luke needs to be thrown in the deep end against some true talented competition to sink or swim, he doesn't offer a forward threat and he is not exactly Baresi at the back to offset that.
He’s clearly not undroppable, but we don’t have anyone we could even drop him for at the moment.

My issue with him is everything is done at half pace. When he stops and stands there with the ball trapped under his foot, searches for a pass and it ends up going 3 yards to a player next to him.

Devil may care

One of the few that had a decent game, drove forward well and covered slow and slower as best he could.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This lad's weekly wage is double that of Andy Robertson and yet he's half the player. The fact Luke Shaw is rated by us shows how far standards have fallen. He's nowhere near the standard required to turn us into a competitive team. Jose was right about him and, like many others, we should have sold him or let his contract expire when his last deal was nearing its end.

Litch

Should have covered the only other player coming into the box. Even if it's arguable, he so limited in what he offers. Always comes inside and plays the same inside 3 yard ball.......

izec

He would get benched by the Shaw pre leg break. Once he is up to speed, he is decent, but i always have the feeling he isn't giving it his all and strolls around. That is why we need someone challenging him. Williams won't be it.

LoneStar

I don’t think anyone has said that Shaw is some unstoppable player. It’s just that there are a lot of other positions we need to prioritise at the moment. CB and RW come to mind. After that we’ll probably add competition to LB.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t think anyone has said that Shaw is some unstoppable player. It’s just that there are a lot of other positions we need to prioritise at the moment. CB and RW come to mind. After that we’ll probably add competition to LB.
Our fullbacks are an issue for how we want to play to be honest

RuudTom83

I always feel he has too much of the ball during games. Which can be a criticism of the other players using him to much tbh. But if the attack is going to rely on Luke as much as it does then he needs to be creating a lot more. Maybe this could be a fault more with Rashford but whatever the issue is, it need improving.

Eddy_JukeZ

Despite his terrible error, I thought he did some tidy things.

But man does he sometimes kill the tempo of the game by strolling about on the ball. He is not the only one guilty of it though.

King Andow

Lazy, mindless and unfit, with a terrible final ball. Nothing new. This season should be his last chance and I'm afraid that the backpass master is just not good enough like many others in the squad.

Bwuk

He’s lived off hype for about 5 years now.

Even when he’s meant to be good he’s never fit.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
How we're not in for Telles at just over £20m is baffling. I know we have other fires to put out but if the Telles fee is accurate, it's a no-brainer.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How we're not in for Telles at just over £20m is baffling. I know we have other fires to put out but if the Telles fee is accurate, it's a no-brainer.
We could've signed Reguilon for same amount and save ourselves some wages, but for some reason, we didn't. It's the same thing with Telles, I don't think it's anywhere near a high priority for the club to pay the required fee and wages.

Also, keep in mind Luke Shaw is on £160k a week. I'm sure there is a ceiling that club is looking to not exceed for players who are being desired to add some "competition" to our squad.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We could've signed Reguilon for same amount and save ourselves some wages, but for some reason, we didn't. It's the same thing with Telles, I don't think it's anywhere near a high priority for the club to pay the required fee and wages.

Also, keep in mind Luke Shaw is on £160k a week. I'm sure there is a ceiling that club is looking to not exceed for players who are being desired to add some "competition" to our squad.
I think with Reguilon it was Madrid insisting on a buy back clause that put us off.

Gandalf

Not sure it is a no brainer. Telles is almost 28 and has not played in top league except for a 1 year spell at Inter 4 years ago which has been charitably described as underwhelming. Lot of people getting hot under the collar over his goals and assists last season but they were a function of him taking all the set pieces and penalties, every year before that he managed 2 or 3 goals and assists and that was your lot and he does not look like a player who is going to take people on in attack nor does he have a physique that suggests he is going to be much use defensively. With 1 year left on his deal and no real market for his services Porto are dreaming at 20m, maybe 5m plus add ons but that is it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He really wasn't that bad. Should have been closer to Townsend for their goal but that cross was a thing of pure luck - not even a glance from Schlupp and in most cases you'd expect Lindelof to have that under control.

He was twice as good as the other player 'playing' on the left. He was the one getting to the byline, and creating width, and coming across the halfway line, and combining with Fernandes.

His touch was excellent too.

But he can only do so much. We should be looking at Rashford imo, who was an attacking vacuum today.

Mr Smith

Thought he was one of the better performers today in an admittedly poor team. Offered more creativity than most of our midfield.

Dve

Would have been my man of the match if it wasn´t for the first goal.

ti vu

He needs competition, to push himself.

Not terrible, but if we're talking about pushing to next level, he's upgradable. Not great offensive wise. He's great man marker as his defensive ability in vs 1vs1 is great, however he has lot to learn when it comes to zonal defending. Asking him to be one of main ball carrier then he doesn't have the know how to get back into position and sense the real danger.

This ties with another issue. Rashford has been bad since the restart. Opposition has no fear for Rashford thus they're comfortable with 1vs 1 defending against Rashford, thus allowing their wide attacker full focus on attacking front.

Hawks2008

Really don't get what people see when they tell me he is a good player. As average a fullback as I've seen.

RC89

I've been banging on about this for some time now and glad it was finally picked up on TV. He regularly jogs to the ball or into space. Often it means when he's chasing a ball back it slows us down if decide we want to counter. in attacking positions it gives opposition the time to get themselves into decent shape positionally by time he gets to the ball, blunting our attacks.

What's most annoying is, when he spots someone bearing down on him, he puts the burners on and shows that he could have got to the ball much sooner if he decided not to have the intensity of a Sunday league footballer. Normally it means our switch from defence to attack is slowed or our attacking move itself is slowed as I've already said.

Today though, it cost us a goal. No one did well in that play but Shaw did his usual thing of jogging until he realised the ball is coming across to his man and by time he realised he needs to cover the ground quicker it was too late (I need to rewatch it but I think he actually did start to run but then started to jog again for some reason). He should have sensed the danger and got to his man ASAP, whether the ball makes it across or not is irrelevant.

He's seriously thick as a footballer, even in his attacking 'runs', he does it with such little intensity. Doesn't know when to go and when to stay. It really reminds me of that time Jose said he was literally having to tell him when to stay and when to go, I can see why.

AFC NimbleThumb

I always feel he has too much of the ball during games. Which can be a criticism of the other players using him to much tbh. But if the attack is going to rely on Luke as much as it does then he needs to be creating a lot more. Maybe this could be a fault more with Rashford but whatever the issue is, it need improving.
This./

OgS plays a system [I use the word lighty] that demands a lot from his full backs creatively & we see so many attacks end at his feet due to poor ability on the ball.

The opposition just reorganise when he’s on the ball because nothing is coming.

kundalini

Shocking defending for their opening goal. So slow to react as the move develops, seems unaware of the threat from Townsend, sprints back for a few steps then slows down.

Overall, a poor performance from Luke.

Blood Mage

Struggling for fitness again after another long-term injury, it's infuriating but not unexpected. He is still a great LB when fit but boy do we need to replace him at this point.

M Bison

Supports
York City
How exactly do we want them to play? Bomb forward at every opportunity and let opposition wing forwards run at Maguire and Lindelof?
Agree, that’a the bigger issue. Even if we had Robertson and TAA at full back, they wouldn’t be able to get forward in the same way because of our CB’s and their lack of pace.

We’ve bigger issues than Shaw IMO, played ok yesterday, better than most.

Andersons Dietician

His part in the goal was terrible. Proper lazy defending but you can see what he is thinking. Lindelof should cut it out and then if he failed Maguire should cut it out and He Shaw would be in a position to immediately take the ball forward.
However as Souness and Evra said you have to think of the worst case scenario and he needed to go in deeper when Maguire went in. He didn’t which is something he did really well last year because he bailed Lindelof and Maguire out loads.
Goes to show one moment of lazy defending and we were punished.

After that he was maybe the best of the players who actually played 90 mins.

Agree with what RC said earlier. Annoys me to know end why he will jog to a ball instead of sprinting and starting an attack. Always wants to get involved in that slow build play with Rashford and Martial. Did put in a few good balls mind that should have had someone on them.

Raven

Unfortunately I was unable to catch the match yesterday but I see people here seem to have forgotten that Shaw is just after returning from a fairly nasty injury. This was his first game in 2(?) months, he will take a little time to get back to his best. I think Shaw may actually our most underrated player.

Status
Not open for further replies.