Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

He isn't a fans favourite that's why. He has been one of our best players, he gets injured and takes a few games to get fit.

When he is in the team, I have not seen him have a defensive shocker in the last 3 years. Attacking, we can all say hes x,y,z but he does cross it in, we have 1 player in the box, its not good enough.
He had one shocker in the 1-6 vs Spurs, but it was probably the lack of a preseason with hindsight.

Rossa

He's getting back to his best, and arguably even better. He's not a fancy player that does tricks and dribbles past his defenders, but very few fullbacks do. I can recall Marcelo, Dani Alves and Evra, but that is rare. He is now timing his overlapping runs much better, looks up and has vastly improved his final ball. Physically, he's also looking to be at his best yet. I love his defensive runs when he's basically toying with players like Salah on the break. He runs so effortlessly at the moment, both with and without the ball. The acceleration to get into position before he squared it back to Bruno was Evra-esque.

Tapori

It's funny how everything has to have some sort of narrative in modern football. Every year a new narrative starts about Luke Shaw - first it was Mourinhos shunning put a rocket up his arse, last season it was Williams breaking through putting a rocket up his arse and this season it's Alex Telles being signed having the same effect.

Fact its all a load of shit. Luke Shaw has been the same player since he was TOTY left back at Southampton as a 17 year old - hes always been a great defender and technically he's an exceptional footballer. Only thing is, he struggles to find form without regular game time. That was the case in Van Gaals first season, it was the case when he was sidelined by Mourinho and then it's the case when he gets one of his niggly injuries that puts him out of the squad for a bit. After he strings a few games together he plays well - as he has done since he became a pro as a teenager.
Disagree.
Over the years he has developed markedly
He's getting back to his best, and arguably even better. He's not a fancy player that does tricks and dribbles past his defenders, but very few fullbacks do. I can recall Marcelo, Dani Alves and Evra, but that is rare. He is now timing his overlapping runs much better, looks up and has vastly improved his final ball. Physically, he's also looking to be at his best yet. I love his defensive runs when he's basically toying with players like Salah on the break. He runs so effortlessly at the moment, both with and without the ball. The acceleration to get into position before he squared it back to Bruno was Evra-esque.
Aye

Tapori

Hard to believe he's still only 25. Most FB's don't peak til 26 or 27 either. I guess he's been here so long and had so many issues that we were all starting to get really worried if we'd ever see the player we were promised, I think this season we have and he looks the whole package now (fat pun not intended). Let's hope he stays fit, if he does he'll be the best LB in the league soon enough - and he's not far off now anyway to be fair.
Yes. Best FBs you can see have a golden period generally 27-30. Mix of athletics peak + experience + knowledge.

OldTrevil

Competition from Telles has raised his game and it's lovely to see him back in good form. I still think he has a level to get to so I expect much more from him, he still plays within himself to a certain extent

Andersons Dietician

It's funny how everything has to have some sort of narrative in modern football. Every year a new narrative starts about Luke Shaw - first it was Mourinhos shunning put a rocket up his arse, last season it was Williams breaking through putting a rocket up his arse and this season it's Alex Telles being signed having the same effect.

Fact its all a load of shit. Luke Shaw has been the same player since he was TOTY left back at Southampton as a 17 year old - hes always been a great defender and technically he's an exceptional footballer. Only thing is, he struggles to find form without regular game time. That was the case in Van Gaals first season, it was the case when he was sidelined by Mourinho and then it's the case when he gets one of his niggly injuries that puts him out of the squad for a bit. After he strings a few games together he plays well - as he has done since he became a pro as a teenager.
Must admit it is becoming a bit annoying. It’s almost like people need an excuse to excuse how wrong they were. It’s not that they were wrong no, it’s only because of Telles. Even though he’s probably still not played as well as he was doing in previous seasons.

NinjaFletch

Couldn't agree more, a complete load of shit.

You'd never find Like Shaw saying that the competition with Telles has made him better, for example:
‘I feel really good, credit to Ole for that for believing in me and pushing me,’ Shaw told MUTV after the draw at Liverpool.

‘Alex as well, we have a great relationship, he pushes me each day in training and we get on really well.

‘It’s nice to have that competition, we pushed each other to get the best out of ourselves. It’s a positive way for both of us to look at it

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not sure whether it would be ok to say he was great ever since he joined or not, but definitely since Mou's 3rd season (Ole's takeover season), Shaw has arguably been our most consistent performer,. He had a month long patch of poor form last season, but apart from that, I can't say he's been bad.
His ability to stay composed under pressure is possibly the best in our side

slored1

He's been superb for a while now. Had only two or three bad games in the last year or so (Spurs, Palace, Leipzig away) but been immense on the whole. After Fernandes our second best player of the season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Most improved player since Fred did his thing last season.

Eternitiy

I'm not allowed to post videos yet, can someone please post a youtube video titled "The Attacking Threat of Luke Shaw.."

His close control under pressure and surging runs from deep are really something to behold. Look at how many clear cut chances he has set up as well, only to be let down by some appalling finishing.

Tarrou

I'm not allowed to post videos yet, can someone please post a youtube video titled "The Attacking Threat of Luke Shaw.."

His close control under pressure and surging runs from deep are really something to behold. Look at how many clear cut chances he has set up as well, only to be let down by some appalling finishing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I was questioning his 'desire' in some early games this season. But he's been really impressive in quite some late games already. His passing, his forward running, his commitment to get rough in the game.

Although I'd like him to be more aggressive with his forward play, but he's been improving. Hopefully he stays fit.

croadyman

Looks like he might be back to that player which started in 15/16 only to have his season ended at PSV

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's our best performing player so far this season if we're being honest.

His main competition is Bruno but Bruno has had some poor performances looked over because of his attacking output.

KennyBurner

Good pocketing of Salah. There was a moment during the game when salah decided against running at Shaw and passed the ball all the way back. It was then I knew Shaw was MOTM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rolaholic

He's been having one of his better seasons since before he broke his leg in LVG's 2nd season. Think the Telles signing has really lit a fire under his backside :lol:, been loving to see it.

He keeps it up and he might just be England's first choice LB at the Euros this summer.

croadyman

He's been having one of his better seasons since before he broke his leg in LVG's 2nd season. Think the Telles signing has really lit a fire under his backside :lol:, been loving to see it.

He keeps it up and he might just be England's first choice LB at the Euros this summer.
Yeah definitely the best he has looked in six years and could maybe challenge Chilwell for that spot, like you say it really depends on his form between now and June

sugar_kane

Nice article by Micah Richards about him today on BBC Sport, nice to see him getting the wider recognition he deserves.

In the article it includes the two clips where Mourinho talks about him needing to 'grow up' and his performance being 'his body with my brain'.... really appalling looking back on it again. Not just the public criticism of Shaw, but his own shameless praising of his own genius. Glad that prick is no longer our manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55726417

eire-red

I didn't really see anything different from Shaw against Liverpool that we haven't seen for a while now. He's been very consistent, and easily one of our better players for a long period now. There's no 'turnaround' in form for me, his performance just got more scrutiny in this game.

Another thing worth mentioning is his relationship with Rashford. I understand why Ole is trying Rashford on the right, and Martial on the left. But the reality is we are poor from both flanks in that scenario as Martial is just so poor at the moment.

Rashford and Shaw have developed such a good understanding down that flank, in my eyes those two should always play when fit. It might not seem like much, but it shows the evolution of his football understanding, how he has clearly evolved in order to compliment Rashford down the left.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nice article by Micah Richards about him today on BBC Sport, nice to see him getting the wider recognition he deserves.

In the article it includes the two clips where Mourinho talks about him needing to 'grow up' and his performance being 'his body with my brain'.... really appalling looking back on it again. Not just the public criticism of Shaw, but his own shameless praising of his own genius. Glad that prick is no longer our manager.

Mourinho was a cnut, thank god he's gone.

romufc

I didn't really see anything different from Shaw against Liverpool that we haven't seen for a while now. He's been very consistent, and easily one of our better players for a long period now. There's no 'turnaround' in form for me, his performance just got more scrutiny in this game.
Exactly, he's been one of our best performers for a while now. All this nonsense of turnaround is a way for fans who doubted him to say oh no hes changed to make them look more credible instead of realises how influential he has been for us.

Andersons Dietician

Rashford and Shaw have developed such a good understanding down that flank, in my eyes those two should always play when fit. It might not seem like much, but it shows the evolution of his football understanding, how he has clearly evolved in order to compliment Rashford down the left.
I feel the opposite on this. There is no relationship with Rashford at all and that Martial and Shaw have a far superior relationship as they actually try to find each other and just seem to have a better understanding and work better situations.

Rashord seems to just ignore Shaw regularly even when Shaw has made the run and is the best option to advance the attack or threat. I was actually shocked against Pool that Rashford slipped Shaw in at one point because it’s just something he never does. Same as when Telles plays. Rarely plays the LB in even when they are clearly the best option.

lex talionis

Shaw really has improved dramatically over the last few seasons. Or perhaps more precisely put, his consistency has dramatically improved.

I rated him as a nailed on all worlder to be when we picked him up and he was well on track for it. the horror injury. Then the clown show of Jose. But here we are now and I’m delighted that he’s our first choice LB. Telles is a fine backup, but we’re in great shape with Shaw as first choice.

Idxomer

I still cringe whenever I see this Mourinho quote.

Patchbeard

He still frustrates the hell out of me in the final third, with his dilly dallying on the ball and shite driven cross/shots with no clear intention behind them. But I still love how almost no winger can get past him, even if he has a lapse in concentration and gives them a headstart. He's still the same excellent defender he always has been and is still bang average going forward.

The press need someone to praise after a clean sheet at Liverpool, and good for him, but I'm still hoping that Telles can improve the defensive side of his game and get more gametime because I don't think Shaw's attacking game is ever going to be good enough to stop me from putting my head in hands multiple times a game. (I sincerely hope he proves me wrong).

Raven

He still frustrates the hell out of me in the final third, with his dilly dallying on the ball and shite driven cross/shots with no clear intention behind them. But I still love how almost no winger can get past him, even if he has a lapse in concentration and gives them a headstart. He's still the same excellent defender he always has been and is still bang average going forward.

The press need someone to praise after a clean sheet at Liverpool, and good for him, but I'm still hoping that Telles can improve the defensive side of his game and get more gametime because I don't think Shaw's attacking game is ever going to be good enough to stop me from putting my head in hands multiple times a game. (I sincerely hope he proves me wrong).
He's been pretty damn good this season going forward. Telles will never be good enough to overtake him.

Status
Not open for further replies.